So I have a Passport that I'm wanting to use as a tablet for a little while, set it up how I like, then add my sim, which is currently in an iPhone SE.

But something new I've noticed. I get constant notifications and popups about setting up my device. How I must insert a sim card. And how I have only 5 days to comply...

Since when did BlackBerry implement this change? I have a Q10 and Classic that are not exhibiting this behavior, despite being up to date as of a couple weeks ago.

Also, it won't allow me to disable my network antenna. What's the deal? This isn't right.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 09:22 AM
    Sound more like the issue is the carrier the phone is tied to rather than the OS. Have you tried putting it in Airplane Mode and then turning on WiFi?
    07-16-16 10:35 AM
    Sound more like the issue is the carrier the phone is tied to rather than the OS. Have you tried putting it in Airplane Mode and then turning on WiFi?
    This is a brand new Passport, received a few days ago from ShopBB. It is a 12/17/14 manufacture date, and upon opening, it kind of appeared to have reapplied plastic protectors, but it seemed alright. Keyboard less tacky and rough than usual new Passports...i wondered if it were a refurb.

I may just return this copy. It makes no sense to be receiving a brand new late '14 Passport in mid-2016, right?

Also, airplane mode seems to work. And occasionally I'll get the mobile network to switch off for a little while, but it has a mind of its own and usually won't shut off at all. Somehow tied to the setup app I believe.

I've just never experienced this behavior from a BB10 handset before, and I've had a lot of them, and have setup a lot of them fresh without sims.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 11:07 AM
    update: I got the setup notification again, and just to see what it wanted me to do, I clicked into it. I skipped the network setup part, and it came to the WiFi setup part.

Then...

...it turned off my wifi and disabled my home wifi entry (I had to re-enable it in wifi settings). And it turned my network back on, and was asking for a sim card (!). This behavior is completely new to me.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 11:37 AM
    I have had 'the nag' feature like you and I am afraid I dont remember what made it go away. Are you at least registered with BlackBerry World?

I still get daily nags to update to OS2836(?) or, that one with the no-delete-app bug. I just click on More Info and then delete it.

The intrusive carrier modifications are something I want to avoid, not having a carrier-branded phone helps. In my parental controls section I keep disabled both 'install application' and 'delete application' and enable them only when actively making changes. Same with not allowing apps from outside sources, unless that is what you are doing at the moment.

If you have 'mobile network' enabled, which you will need wheen using FM radio, it always will show the 'No Simcard' alert, same thing when you have a simcard in there that it can't see for some reason.
    07-16-16 02:16 PM
    note: with fm radio you can turn mobile neetwork back off once you get it playing, and eventually it may need to be turned on again if you listen for a long time.

radio wont work right if your date and time of day is not set more or less correctly.
    07-16-16 02:19 PM
    If you have 'mobile network' enabled, which you will need wheen using FM radio, it always will show the 'No Simcard' alert, same thing when you have a simcard in there that it can't see for some reason.[/QUOTE]

True. Turn of mobile network and it should fix it...

Posted via CB10
    07-16-16 02:47 PM
    As I stated before, I can't manually disable my mobile network antenna(e). It re-enables itself autonomously.

That's the main reason I started this thread.

---

The other reasons are the 5-day countdown to complete my setup (I'm logged into my BBID btw, it just wants a sim). The 5-day countdown is MUCH more than the usual setup nagging.

The other other reason: why am I receiving a late 2014 model Passport? Is it likely a refurb or a return?
    07-16-16 02:48 PM
    The other other reason: why am I receiving a late 2014 model Passport? Is it likely a refurb or a return?
    The date on the box is only a packaging date, not the date the phone was manufactured. There were only 2 runs of the original PP - the pre-launch run and a second run a month later - both occurring in the 2nd Q of 2014. There were also a separate run of the AT&T "chin" version and the run for the PPSE, but those aren't relevant here.

The phones aren't in continuous production - BB would have to be ordering/buying millions per month in order to maintain continuous production, and that's certainly not the case.
    07-16-16 03:05 PM
    More importantly, what's the deal with the 5 day setup timer?
    07-16-16 06:58 PM