I believe the last version of Signal that worked on BB10 is now so old, it's been deprecated.

You can use Telegram though (as well as you can run an Android app on BB10 anyway).

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/telegr...-apk-download/

BTW, WhatsApp hasn't made any changes - we've all known full well what it's been doing for years. The only difference is that they have to explicitly state it now.
    I've been using Telegram X for last two weeks as native Telegram won't work properly but after just downloaded minutes ago this version seems like is working well and I will give it a chance.

Signal looks cool also, may not be as popular as others but it keeps showing me that expired version message linking to Play Store newest version which is not compatible with BB10.

*Reason of editing:

Ok, after trying a bit deeply the Telegram version downloaded from link provided by Conite I have to say that I'm going to decide to use only Telegram X.
    Main reason is that the app acts a bit weird when going to use emojis, GIF, etc.
    While typing only text does pretty well it becomes messy when going to other functions.
    Should keep an eye of further things like notifications as not sure if all are doing properly well, may have been missing a few but couldn't say so 100% sure.
    I haven't tryied it yet properly as been using both apps installed at same time while also chatting with some contacts in both private and group. Yeah, a bit crazy though.

Any suggestions from your experience?
    Last edited by Plastick; 01-13-21 at 07:39 AM.
    01-13-21 06:25 AM
    I've been using Telegram X for last two weeks as native Telegram won't work properly but after just downloaded minutes ago this version seems like is working well and I will give it a chance.

Signal looks cool also, may not be as popular as others but it keeps showing me that expired version message linking to Play Store newest version which is not compatible with BB10.

*Reason of editing:

Ok, after trying a bit deeply the Telegram version downloaded from link provided by Conite I have to say that I'm going to decide to use only Telegram X.
    Main reason is that the app acts a bit weird when going to use emojis, GIF, etc.
    While typing only text does pretty well it becomes messy when going to other functions.
    Should keep an eye of further things like notifications as not sure if all are doing properly well, may have been missing a few but couldn't say so 100% sure.
    I haven't tryied it yet properly as been using both apps installed at same time while also chatting with some contacts in both private and group. Yeah, a bit crazy though.

Any suggestions from your experience?
    Telegram X has been discontinued and hasn't seen an update in over 6 months.
    01-13-21 07:53 AM
    Telegram X has been discontinued and hasn't seen an update on over 6 months.
    Yeah over time the acting a bit weird will get worse....
    01-13-21 07:56 AM
    Telegram X has been discontinued and hasn't seen an update in over 6 months.
    Yes, I think I have read that from you?

That Telegram version is not doing too well in my Passport at least so will keep using the X one until something else better appears.
    01-13-21 08:02 AM
    The official Telegram app (7.3) runs fine on the Passport and video call is working. Audio messages also works.
    It's not as fast as any native app but it' pretty decent.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-21 08:37 AM
    I don't get why Skype isn't more popular.
    Free? Check.
    Multiplatform? Check. More than any other messenger, even works on BB10.
    Text, voice & video? Yes.
    I am not clear on the details of the security but my understanding is that they turned on E2E encryption already.
    Can also deal with calling to landlines.
    Doesn't need your phone number to sign up for an account.
    Is backed by Microsoft, which by now is the mature adult in the room and about the only one who actually has a business model that doesn't necessitate selling off your personal data. (Not saying they do or don't but they don't have to in order to survive)

Posted via CB10
    Aside from what Conite said, it suffers from the same thing BBMe does. People see it as 'business' thing.. something they are kinda forced to use not that they want to use.
    01-13-21 11:00 AM
    The fact is, if you dismiss the two Facebook apps, and the two Chinese apps, Telegram has the most active users at 500 million. Ubiquity is one of the biggest features of a cross-platform messaging app.

Signal has about 30 million.
    Right now Signal is the number one download on Google with Telegram a close second. I have also heard the numbers for these downloads are huge right now. I have not personally checked the Apple store, but I have heard the same is also true.

WhatsApp and Facebook Execs are trying to do tons of damage control. If they can't stem the tide I see this as a classic case study in future business classes on how to kill a business.

Personally I can't stand any of these platforms. Tried WhatsApp a few years ago as a free way to communicate with daughter who was working in the refugee camps in Greece. We switched to Duo at the time. I had way too many people wanting to connect with me on WhatsApp. Most were people I barely know and many from different parts of the world. I like people, but I don't need to chat with them.
    01-13-21 12:25 PM
    The official Telegram app (7.3) runs fine on the Passport and video call is working. Audio messages also works.

Posted via CB10
    You are correct, version 7.3.1 was a bit messy in my Passport, 7.3.0 does fine so back to Telegram instead of Telegram X.

Thanks!
    01-13-21 01:52 PM
    Hi, I've been following this thread but it is not clear to me what the verdict was on the question, can you install signal messenger on a BB device? I was thinking of buying a passport sqw-100 but I need a device on which I can install the signal app.
    01-13-21 02:01 PM
    Right now Signal is the number one download on Google with Telegram a close second. I have also heard the numbers for these downloads are huge right now. I have not personally checked the Apple store, but I have heard the same is also true.

WhatsApp and Facebook Execs are trying to do tons of damage control. If they can't stem the tide I see this as a classic case study in future business classes on how to kill a business.

Personally I can't stand any of these platforms. Tried WhatsApp a few years ago as a free way to communicate with daughter who was working in the refugee camps in Greece. We switched to Duo at the time. I had way too many people wanting to connect with me on WhatsApp. Most were people I barely know and many from different parts of the world. I like people, but I don't need to chat with them.
    It's been crazy last days as heard many people is moving to Telegram for the first time or just closing WhatsApp account.
    Not only how to kill a business, which affects few wealthy pockets, but how people decide for their future with actions that may end up good for everyone's privacy.

A good read: Rana Foroohar - Don't be evil
    01-13-21 02:02 PM
    “The dogs bark but the caravan moves on” … an old Arabic Proverb.

الكلاب تنبح ، ولكن القافلة تتحرك
    John Albert likes this.
    01-13-21 02:17 PM
    It's been crazy last days as heard many people is moving to Telegram for the first time or just closing WhatsApp account.
    Not only how to kill a business, which affects few wealthy pockets, but how people decide for their future with actions that may end up good for everyone's privacy.

A good read: Rana Foroohar - Don't be evil
    I have never been a fan of WhatsApp. My reference is that the communication that triggered this mass move was not referencing anything about individual customer accounts on WhatsApp. The change was dealing with how data is being handled on corporates commercial advertising accounts. WhatsApp wording was very poor and now has triggered this mass migration. Personally as someone who does not care much for WhatsApp and don't have an account I find the whole situation very funny.
    01-13-21 02:42 PM
    Well, the apps are a dog's breakfast if you ask me. They are also resource pigs.

Plus Skype is not really a messaging/social app like the others.
    Do not understand. How is Skype not a messaging app or "social"? I've used it just like BBM or any other messenger. Not sure what you mean by that.

As to whether the interface is nice or not, I guess it is subjective. I've no real complaints, but I've had it running all day on my PPSE, so I don't think it's that bad with resources.

Maybe it's just a perception thing, or maybe it's one of the same "weakness" as BBM, it won't 'automatically ' sign you up based on your phone number and can't just use your friends phone to connect with either. That becomes a barrier to entry

Posted via CB10
    01-13-21 04:29 PM
    Do not understand. How is Skype not a messaging app or "social"? I've used it just like BBM or any other messenger. Not sure what you mean by that.

As to whether the interface is nice or not, I guess it is subjective. I've no real complaints, but I've had it running all day on my PPSE, so I don't think it's that bad with resources.

Maybe it's just a perception thing, or maybe it's one of the same "weakness" as BBM, it won't 'automatically ' sign you up based on your phone number and can't just use your friends phone to connect with either. That becomes a barrier to entry

Posted via CB10
    Skype is focused on being a Voip service. The IM component is rudimentary at best.

Groups, channels, stickers, gifs, bots, etc are all missing in Skype.

Instagram and Snapchat can DM too, but, like Skype, that's not their main focus.
    Last edited by conite; 01-13-21 at 05:16 PM.
    01-13-21 05:03 PM
    Hey - sounds like my kinda messenger -
    01-13-21 05:44 PM
    I have never been a fan of WhatsApp. My reference is that the communication that triggered this mass move was not referencing anything about individual customer accounts on WhatsApp. The change was dealing with how data is being handled on corporates commercial advertising accounts. WhatsApp wording was very poor and now has triggered this mass migration. Personally as someone who does not care much for WhatsApp and don't have an account I find the whole situation very funny.
    It would impact individuals who interact with business accounts through the app, this information sharing was also opt in before but now it'll be mandatory. But you're right, Facebook completely dropped the ball on how to communicate this as it probably won't impact most users. I think the past few years have really shaken public trust in Facebook so in many ways this may simply be the straw that broke the camel's back.
    01-13-21 08:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    Just realised that secret chats with self-destruction messages won't work.

Have anyone used/tried it, any tips?

Thanks
    01-15-21 11:59 AM
    Just realised that secret chats with self-destruction messages won't work.

Have anyone used/tried it, any tips?

Thanks
    On BB10? I'll try. Give me a few minutes.
    01-15-21 12:01 PM
    On BB10? I'll try. Give me a few minutes.
    Yes, BB10.
    Messages disappeared to my friend's but for me any message send or received will keep in chat no matter how long the self-destruction is set.
    01-15-21 12:04 PM
    Yes, BB10.
    Messages disappeared to my friend's but for me any message send or received will keep in chat no matter how long the self-destruction is set.
    I just tested it. Seems fine. Both ways.
    01-15-21 12:41 PM
    I just tested it. Seems fine. Both ways.
    Damn! Not for me
    01-15-21 01:07 PM
    Hi all,

I hate to be THAT guy but I guess I am today. With the recent news that WhatsApp has made some unpopular changes to their platform, I've had a crushing amount of friends who want me to download Signal.

I have always been wearing of WhatsApp and would voice my displeasure to the same friends who laughed.

Now with Elon Musk and others pushing Signal, it's kind of funny how quickly things have changed for a lot of people. "You called this year's ago buddy!".

Anyhow, I know I'm reaching for the stars but does anybody know if a version of Signal is available for use on BB 10 via an Apk or anything?

Ahh how I wish and still wish that BBM could still be a messaging powerhouse, if only Blackberry had the vision and had put in the development to bring it up to a higher level.

Sorry about the long post!

Posted via CB10

Signal 4.36.2.apk is installed and now working on my blackberry passport.

The tricky part to get it to work is to receive the activition code on an other Phone. ( put the sim in the other Phone to receive the code)

You get a warming about not Using the Google playservice.
    (Just press ok)

Put the activition code in on the blackberry device.

Edit: if activition code is activated on youre signal account.
    First disable that on another Phone with aa more modern version.
    After putting the activation code off i was able to activate signal.

Posted via CB10
    gouger05 likes this.
    01-27-21 07:24 PM
    Skype is focused on being a Voip service. The IM component is rudimentary at best.

I wonder if Skype may have evolved since you last touched it...most of the things you mention are actually present in the app.
    01-27-21 09:30 PM
    Signal 4.36.2.apk is installed and now working on my blackberry passport.

The tricky part to get it to work is to receive the activition code on an other Phone. ( put the sim in the other Phone to receive the code)

You get a warming about not Using the Google playservice.
    (Just press ok)

Put the activition code in on the blackberry device.

Edit: if activition code is activated on youre signal account.
    First disable that on another Phone with aa more modern version.
    After putting the activation code off i was able to activate signal.

Posted via CB10
    That's pretty cool, thanks for the info.
    01-27-21 09:30 PM
    I wonder if Skype may have evolved since you last touched it...most of the things you mention are actually present in the app.
    Do you mean "present in the app" when used on a PC using a MS account or "present in the app" and available on BB10? In either case, do you know the last working version for BB10?
    01-27-21 09:55 PM
59 123