Hi all,

I hate to be THAT guy but I guess I am today. With the recent news that WhatsApp has made some unpopular changes to their platform, I've had a crushing amount of friends who want me to download Signal.

I have always been wearing of WhatsApp and would voice my displeasure to the same friends who laughed.

Now with Elon Musk and others pushing Signal, it's kind of funny how quickly things have changed for a lot of people. "You called this year's ago buddy!".

Anyhow, I know I'm reaching for the stars but does anybody know if a version of Signal is available for use on BB 10 via an Apk or anything?

Ahh how I wish and still wish that BBM could still be a messaging powerhouse, if only Blackberry had the vision and had put in the development to bring it up to a higher level.

Sorry about the long post!

Posted via CB10
    01-11-21 03:25 PM
    Hi all,

I hate to be THAT guy but I guess I am today. With the recent news that WhatsApp has made some unpopular changes to their platform, I've had a crushing amount of friends who want me to download Signal.

I have always been wearing of WhatsApp and would voice my displeasure to the same friends who laughed.

Now with Elon Musk and others pushing Signal, it's kind of funny how quickly things have changed for a lot of people. "You called this year's ago buddy!".

Anyhow, I know I'm reaching for the stars but does anybody know if a version of Signal is available for use on BB 10 via an Apk or anything?

Ahh how I wish and still wish that BBM could still be a messaging powerhouse, if only Blackberry had the vision and had put in the development to bring it up to a higher level.

Posted via CB10
    I believe the last version of Signal that worked on BB10 is now so old, it's been deprecated.

You can use Telegram though (as well as you can run an Android app on BB10 anyway).

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/telegr...-apk-download/

BTW, WhatsApp hasn't made any changes - we've all known full well what it's been doing for years. The only difference is that they have to explicitly state it now.
    Last edited by conite; 01-11-21 at 03:56 PM.
    Angela Papazian likes this.
    01-11-21 03:34 PM
    Hi all,

Posted via CB10
    I prefer

https://twitter.com/BlackBerry/statu...678947332?s=19
    01-11-21 04:36 PM
    For most of us it's not what we prefer... but what the people we want to communicate with are using.

I've still got some that I need WhatsApp for, other that I use Slack.... but most my communications is simply iMessage. I've looked a Signal, but no one is using it... I could try to set the trend, but I did that once a few years ago and I picked a product that was not ready for the market. Won't make that mistake again.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-12-21 09:36 AM
    For most of us it's not what we prefer... but what the people we want to communicate with are using.

I've still got some that I need WhatsApp for, other that I use Slack.... but most my communications is simply iMessage. I've looked a Signal, but no one is using it... I could try to set the trend, but I did that once a few years ago and I picked a product that was not ready for the market. Won't make that mistake again.
    Telegram just passed 500 million users (doubled in the last year).

The problem with iMessage is that it can't encrypt to half of smartphone users in the US and to 87% of smartphone users in the world.
    01-12-21 09:39 AM
    Telegram just passed 500 million users.

The problem with iMessage is that it can't encrypt to half of smartphone users in the US and to 87% of smartphone users in the world.
    I know, that you know, that I know all those facts.

In the end I don't talk to most the world, and my main circle of family and friends doesn't represent the divide that even US averages show.

But I was just pointing out that my own personal views... don't matter, I use what the people I want to commutate with use. I might not like WhatsApp's (FaceBook) new policies... but in the end I'll keep using it if those groups don't opt to switch. I have put out my 2-cents... but Signal is missing features and Telegram isn't as private as they could be for group chats. (BBMe isn't a consideration and I wouldn't even throw it out there.... subscription and poor iOS support makes it a non-starter )
    01-12-21 10:37 AM

Well my +200 contacts are on BBMe so yes I use BBMe because I prefer it and so do my contacts.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    01-12-21 11:04 AM
    Well my +200 contacts are on BBMe so yes I use BBMe because I prefer it and so do my contacts.
    Wow I don't have anywhere close to that.

No way I could convince people I know to migrate to BBMe when it's $5 a year
    01-12-21 11:06 AM

Hard to justify paying when there are only about 100k-200k users left on BBMe consumer, and where Telegram and Signal are wildly superior now. BBMe is stuck in a 2015 time warp.
    01-12-21 11:20 AM

Well there are "contacts" (random stranger you've never meet) and then there are "contacts" (people in are aware of, and might contact from time to time), and there there are real "contacts" (family, friends and even workmates that you talk to often). From time to time someone will say they have 10K contact in their address book and they are trying to transfer them all over to their new phone.... and I wonder how many of them they really can remember.

But you go join a few BBM groups and you'll have plenty of "contacts".... think you can have 50 in a group now. Post your PIN on the boards and might gain one every now and then. And too there are probably a few companies that still utilize BBM for corporates communications.... I assume.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-12-21 12:00 PM
    Well there are "contacts" (random stranger you've never meet) and then there are "contacts" (people in are aware of, and might contact from time to time), and there there are real "contacts" (family, friends and even workmates that you talk to often). From time to time someone will say they have 10K contact in their address book and they are trying to transfer them all over to their new phone.... and I wonder how many of them they really can remember.

But you go join a few BBM groups and you'll have plenty of "contacts".... think you can have 50 in a group now. Post your PIN on the boards and might gain one every now and then. And too there are probably a few companies that still utilize BBM for corporates communications.... I assume.
    I was referring to my personal contacts. Period. All convinced how well / simply BBMe works.

And thanks for your explanation on what a contact is or not..yeah like the massive groups in Telegram and or whatsapp, etc....Lots of "non personal" contacts.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    01-12-21 12:35 PM
    ..yeah like the massive groups in Telegram and or whatsapp, etc....Lots of "non personal" contacts.
    So the fact that they CAN have larger group sizes if desired or appropriate is a downside?

Basically those large groups amount to enhanced and interactive versions of what used to be BBM channels. That said, Telegram also has channels.
    Last edited by conite; 01-12-21 at 02:17 PM.
    01-12-21 01:14 PM
    So the fact that they CAN have larger group sizes if desired or appropriate is a downside?

Basically those large groups amount to enhanced versions of what used to be BBM channels.
    Did not say that.

Was responding on Real personal Contacts versus Contacts from groups etc.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    01-12-21 01:22 PM
    Did not say that.

Was responding on Real personal Contacts versus Contacts from groups etc.
    Regardless, you’ve got 200 BBM contacts. Those contacts aren’t DM exclusive to BBM and surely are using Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, Telegram, Signal or just plain old SMS/MMS depending on their other contacts.

The problem is that even if people long-term move platforms, they’ll move to one that have the largest user bases already. People don’t want 20 IM platforms, only what their contacts use. Lack of everything needed to grow is why BBM isn’t going to grow.

It’s not the platform, it’s what the others already offer, free, that is growing. Unfortunately, price is the biggest obstacle if Telegram for example, does good enough. Long ago, users already gave up information. Unless you change your email, phone number, where you live and common friends, you’re already triangulated six degrees or so deep. Even if FB/WA shutdown tomorrow, your internet footprint is still alive making noise like Bigfoot walking on a field of egg shells.
    01-12-21 01:36 PM
    Regardless, you’ve got 200 BBM contacts. Those contacts aren’t DM exclusive to BBM and surely are using Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram, Snapchat, Telegram, Signal or just plain old SMS/MMS depending on their other contacts.

The problem is that even if people long-term move platforms, they’ll move to one that have the largest user bases already. People don’t want 20 IM platforms, only what their contacts use. Lack of everything needed to grow is why BBM isn’t going to grow.

It’s not the platform, it’s what the others already offer, free, that is growing. Unfortunately, price is the biggest obstacle if Telegram for example, does good enough. Long ago, users already gave up information. Unless you change your email, phone number, where you live and common friends, you’re already triangulated six degrees or so deep. Even if FB/WA shutdown tomorrow, your internet footprint is still alive making noise like Bigfoot walking on a field of egg shells.
    Regardless...like you state.

BBMe works for me for DM. That simple.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    01-12-21 01:39 PM

Nothing wrong with that. If you and your contacts are happy despite the cost, then there is no need to change.
    01-12-21 01:45 PM
    Nothing wrong with that. If you and your contacts are happy despite the cost, then there is no need to change.
    Exactly.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    01-12-21 01:47 PM

That’s fine. The conversation started with your preference and DDD reply that for us it simply isn’t our choice. That choice is made for us, that’s all.
    01-12-21 01:54 PM
    All my family and co-workers still send over SMS/MMS. For work, it's just stuff like, "you coming to this meeting?" . I also get stuff from contractors like a photo of a piece of millwork asking me if it looks okay. Everything else important is by email.
    01-12-21 02:01 PM
    All my family and co-workers still send over SMS/MMS. For work, it's just stuff like, "you coming to this meeting?" . I also get stuff from contractors like a photo of a piece of millwork asking me if it looks okay. Everything else important is by email.
    In the US.... SMS/MMS (free texting) is still what most use.

RCS did promise to bring End-to-End encryption to SMS.... but carriers have been a roadblock as they all want to make their onwn version of RCS. I know Android Messages had begun a beta that allows End-to-End encryption. But have no idea how that has gone. If Google and Apple would work together to allow communication between iMessage and Android Messages with encryption..... it would hurt a lot of these messengers. Even if many offer a wider range of features.

But then it would still mean trusting Google, which many here don't. And chances of Apple and Google working together.....
    01-12-21 02:47 PM
    In the US.... SMS/MMS (free texting) is still what most use.

RCS did promise to bring End-to-End encryption to SMS.... but carriers have been a roadblock as they all want to make their onwn version of RCS. I know Android Messages had begun a beta that allows End-to-End encryption. But have no idea how that has gone. If Google and Apple would work together to allow communication between iMessage and Android Messages with encryption..... it would hurt a lot of these messengers. Even if many offer a wider range of features.

But then it would still mean trusting Google, which many here don't. And chances of Apple and Google working together.....
    RCS has been rolling out e2e since Dec. The beta folks have it already. And RCS is pretty much available to all Android users in NA now.
    01-12-21 02:56 PM
    I don't get why Skype isn't more popular.
    Free? Check.
    Multiplatform? Check. More than any other messenger, even works on BB10.
    Text, voice & video? Yes.
    I am not clear on the details of the security but my understanding is that they turned on E2E encryption already.
    Can also deal with calling to landlines.
    Doesn't need your phone number to sign up for an account.
    Is backed by Microsoft, which by now is the mature adult in the room and about the only one who actually has a business model that doesn't necessitate selling off your personal data. (Not saying they do or don't but they don't have to in order to survive)

Posted via CB10
    the_boon likes this.
    01-12-21 09:02 PM
    I don't get why Skype isn't more popular.
    Free? Check.
    Multiplatform? Check. More than any other messenger, even works on BB10.
    Text, voice & video? Yes.
    I am not clear on the details of the security but my understanding is that they turned on E2E encryption already.
    Can also deal with calling to landlines.
    Doesn't need your phone number to sign up for an account.
    Is backed by Microsoft, which by now is the mature adult in the room and about the only one who actually has a business model that doesn't necessitate selling off your personal data. (Not saying they do or don't but they don't have to in order to survive)

Posted via CB10
    Well, the apps are a dog's breakfast if you ask me. They are also resource pigs.

Plus Skype is not really a messaging/social app like the others.
    Last edited by conite; 01-12-21 at 09:43 PM.
    01-12-21 09:21 PM
    They are also resource pigs.
    Hmm, reminds me of another app...Signal Messanger App-screenshot_20210112-222334.jpegSignal Messanger App-screenshot_20210112-222325.jpeg
    01-12-21 09:24 PM
    The fact is, if you dismiss the two Facebook apps, and the two Chinese apps, Telegram has the most active users at 500 million. Ubiquity is one of the biggest features of a cross-platform messaging app.

Signal has about 30 million.
    Last edited by conite; 01-12-21 at 09:40 PM.
    01-12-21 09:27 PM
59 123