Hi folks, I know this is really off the topics but I am confused about the signals and frequencies. I am from pakistan using Telenor as my carrier and in my office signal strength fluctuate between -70 to -90 and I get distortion and breaker voice (same goes with my colleagues who are using same Telenor number series). Strange thing I noticed today in my office while I used a clients cellphone with Telenor sim and voice quality was great.

Can anybody let me know what could be the difference. Is there something at the end of carrier?

BB Z Ten - 1154
    02-10-15 02:01 PM
    the -70 to -90 numbers you see are decibel milliwatt numbers that, in a nutshell, indicate signal strength. The closer you get to zero, the better the phone's signal (so -70 is better than -90.)

-70 isn't that bad a signal for voice calls, but is your phone holding it steadily or does it fluctuate a lot? Also, have you tried dropping your phone down to 2G, seeing if that helps with consistency of signal?
    02-10-15 03:43 PM
    the -70 to -90 numbers you see are decibel milliwatt numbers that, in a nutshell, indicate signal strength.
    How can I view it in numerical format?

(same goes with my colleagues who are using same Telenor number series).
    Are your colleagues on BlackBerry?

while I used a clients cellphone with Telenor sim and voice quality was great.
    Which device was the client using?

When I was on Ufone, I noticed bad reception in certain areas - voice-cutting-off bad. On Zong (Q5), signal fluctuates on 3G and 4G but is stable on 2G. Another user reported stable signal strength on Warid regardless of network mode (Passport).

Sadly, I ported both my Telenor sims to Ufone so no way to check.
    02-10-15 04:27 PM
    'Signal' app (by Odd Element) from App World is where I get my readings from. There's probably a way to check through escreen as well, but I'm too lazy to look right now.

On pre-BB10 phones, it was much easier to check.
    Umaima_B_Dia and Rustybronco like this.
    02-10-15 04:53 PM
    'Signal' app (by Odd Element) from App World is where I get my readings from. There's probably a way to check through escreen as well, but I'm too lazy to look right now.

On pre-BB10 phones, it was much easier to check.
    Last time I wanted to check the escreen, it took me multiple thread pages and attempts just to figure out the initial keyboard glitch for password, so Signal app it is

Edit: -75 to -90 on (4G and 3G), -69 on 2G
    02-10-15 04:57 PM
    the -70 to -90 numbers you see are decibel milliwatt numbers that, in a nutshell, indicate signal strength. The closer you get to zero, the better the phone's signal (so -70 is better than -90.)

-70 isn't that bad a signal for voice calls, but is your phone holding it steadily or does it fluctuate a lot? Also, have you tried dropping your phone down to 2G, seeing if that helps with consistency of signal?
    Thanks Raino for Reply and I normally use 2G and turn on 3G when I need faster speed. But I am really worried as my company is having 55 numbers account with Telenor and majority of people complaining while I used a few clients Telenor number in the same premises where I use my cellphone but there is a huge difference between both numbers voice quality and signal.
    02-11-15 01:16 AM
    Download SIGNAL or TRAFFIC MONITOR for BB World

Are your colleagues on BlackBerry?
    No he is using Samsung S Duos

Which device was the client using?
    He was using some small set and I guess it was Samsung Star

When I was on Ufone, I noticed bad reception in certain areas - voice-cutting-off bad. On Zong (Q5), signal fluctuates on 3G and 4G but is stable on 2G. Another user reported stable signal strength on Warid regardless of network mode (Passport).
    I know Warid has better signals as they have limited clients

Sadly, I ported both my Telenor sims to Ufone so no way to check.
    Why U ported out? Was Telenor bad?
    02-11-15 01:25 AM
    Why U ported out? Was Telenor bad?
    Ufone and Telenor are at par when it comes to quality of service. Ufone is used by extended family, so changed the secondary sims to it.

Edit: I just realised you answered the questions w/o breaking the quotes!
    Last edited by umaima.b.zia; 02-11-15 at 06:41 AM.
    02-11-15 05:05 AM
    Ufone and Telenor are at par when it comes to quality of service. Ufone is used by extended family, so changed the secondary sims to it.

Edit: I just realised you answered the questions w/o breaking the quotes!
    Thanks for the prompt reply and what u think about Mobilink as I am seriously thinking of porting out to Mobilink?

BB Z Ten - 10.3.1.2072
    02-11-15 01:07 PM
    Mobilink and Warid both are viable options (I'd choose Warid because of 4G). However, you could choose according to local and international call packages, etc.

Btw, were you the one who was looking for an alternate to STL-1 on the 4G on Z30 thread? I saw STL-2 on homeshopping.
    02-11-15 01:25 PM
    Yes I am the same and planning to do so but I can't use Warid as in Peshawar Warid is good but in my village there is still no coverage for Warid so my only option would be Mobilink

BB Z Ten - 10.3.1.2072
    02-11-15 02:12 PM
    Yes, that's a good choice. A lot of my friends who have travelled to the Northern areas recommend Mobilink for reception alone.
    02-11-15 02:19 PM
    I am personally using Mobilink from last so many years and am very satisfied but my company uses Telenor which has worst signal reception in my opinion

BB Z Ten - 10.3.1.2072
    02-11-15 02:27 PM