Sure, there are clear use cases for apps vs mobile web, such as finance. But I agree with @djsvet - the winning access channel for many services should have been the mobile web. It lets the app makers control the experience to an extent, such as the layout and functions of buttons, and it lets device owners control what their device is doing through an isolation and interpretation layer - the browser.

Mobile web pages are not a performance efficient model and personally I really dislike it from that perspective: wasting communication and CPU power - thus also depleting precious electrons from our batteries. But mobile web pages are way better than crappy apps that add no value - all the tripadvisors, airbnbs, imdb and such. If only the mobile web were leaner.

A second major problem for me is access to devices inside a mobile phone - such as the microphone, camera and so on. Most apps already send that input directly to some remote servers, not even trying to process it locally, thus negating the benefits of locality. But that's a more off-topic, philosophical question of "we'll give you an algorithm and you do it on your device" vs. "give us your data and we'll do it for you, and then we'll sell your data to other processors to improve your experience". I prefer the former than the latter, of course.
    The transition from flash to HTML 5 I think is too often overlooked in regards to the attributes the new standards provide. Also, browser storage has greatly improved allowing for much less use of RAM. Wifi drain has been reduced also.

BlackBerry offered a well integrated framework with the browser, something similar to the chrome:// uri, I thought was a good decision but it did expose some security risks.

Using the information the world wide web offers should be considered a responsibility on the user accessing it. If they are unaware or in disagreement with the risks involved, well, its survival of the fittest.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-18 01:19 PM
    Most companies offer a mobile web version of their apps and services - but they also have metrics that show that their customers STRONGLY prefer their app to their website - typically with over 90% usage coming from the app, with more activity/sales per user and longer engagement from app users compared to the web.

Given that, apps are here to stay and will continue to be the primary focus.

The other thing is that if it was BB10 that had all the apps, we all know that BB fans would never stop talking about the importance of apps and why apps are superior. Instead, the people arguing against them are a few on the very fringes of the mobile market - which, again, is another reason that companies don't really care much about their opinions. They're working to please the 98% of their customers with mainstream desires, not the 2% on the fringes - customers they are willing (hell, sometimes eager) to lose.

That's just smart business - it's not personal. If your job was to make those decisions, you would do the same.
    pdr733 likes this.
    09-04-18 02:04 PM
    Most companies offer a mobile web version of their apps and services - but they also have metrics that show that their customers STRONGLY prefer their app to their website - typically with over 90% usage coming from the app, with more activity/sales per user and longer engagement from app users compared to the web.

Given that, apps are here to stay and will continue to be the primary focus.

The other thing is that if it was BB10 that had all the apps, we all know that BB fans would never stop talking about the importance of apps and why apps are superior. Instead, the people arguing against them are a few on the very fringes of the mobile market - which, again, is another reason that companies don't really care much about their opinions. They're working to please the 98% of their customers with mainstream desires, not the 2% on the fringes - customers they are willing (hell, sometimes eager) to lose.

That's just smart business - it's not personal. If your job was to make those decisions, you would do the same.
    Many apps are just more convenient whether it be formatting, optimization, etc. I can see why they are overwhelmingly preferred.
    09-04-18 02:17 PM
    Many apps are just more convenient whether it be formatting, optimization, etc. I can see why they are overwhelmingly preferred.
    It's also true that a shocking number of people can't use a Web browser very well at all. They lack the logic skills to use search engines effectively, don't understand how a Web site is different from an app, etc. Many consumers don't even use PCs in their daily lives and ONLY use apps on their phones. They just assume they need an app for every task.

Sad, but true.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-04-18 02:25 PM
    At this point, instead of HTML5 making apps obsolete..... Apps have almost made the browser obsolete.
    09-04-18 02:26 PM
    It's also true that a shocking number of people can't use a Web browser very well at all. They lack the logic skills to use search engines effectively, don't understand how a Web site is different from an app, etc. Many consumers don't even use PCs in their daily lives and ONLY use apps on their phones. They just assume they need an app for every task.

Sad, but true.

I will give you that. But some are simply easier to use and navigate. Plus, I don't want to have to provide my login credentials every time on a Web site. It's nice to get an email and have the info open directly in the app.
    09-04-18 02:40 PM
    I will give you that. But some are simply easier to use and navigate. Plus, I don't want to have to provide my login credentials every time on a Web site. It's nice to get an email and have the info open directly in the app.
    I agree there is a huge range of apps, and also that, if a login is required it might be more secure to authenticate with the phone.

My approach is to install an app wherever it offers clear advantages, but to minimize the number of apps I use as much as possible, as every line of code I permit on my phone increases its attack surface.

09-04-18 03:27 PM
    I agree there is a huge range of apps, and also that, if a login is required it might be more secure to authenticate with the phone.

My approach is to install an app wherever it offers clear advantages, but to minimize the number of apps I use as much as possible, as every line of code I permit on my phone increases its attack surface.

Licensed apps from a vendor definitely have the advantage in that they are more like a secure shell, and their code is somewhat protected. I dont know if the mobile web can do that yet.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 09-05-18 at 04:40 AM.
    09-05-18 12:30 AM
    Apps definitely have the advantage in that they are more like a secure shell, and their code is somewhat protected. I dont know if the mobile web can do that yet.

Posted via CB10
    The problem with mobile app security in my mind is third party risk. It's often difficult to know who the developers are or what recourse one would have for a badly behaved app. For that reason, my preference is only to install apps from publicly traded companies with a reputation for technical competence in software security in countries with a strong commitment to the rule of law.

Once I've applied the above filter to the Google and Apple app stores, I'm left with a few hundred "whitelistable" apps, and the app stores suddenly seem a lot less impressive!
    09-05-18 02:27 AM
    The problem with mobile app security in my mind is third party risk. It's often difficult to know who the developers are or what recourse one would have for a badly behaved app. For that reason, my preference is only to install apps from publicly traded companies with a reputation for technical competence in software security in countries with a strong commitment to the rule of law.

Once I've applied the above filter to the Google and Apple app stores, I'm left with a few hundred "whitelistable" apps, and the app stores suddenly seem a lot less impressive!
    I do prefer web based, but I feel the same way about API's and the programmable web. You never know what could be happening unless you check everthing.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-18 02:41 AM
    The whole world disagreed twice recently, with BlackBerry 10 and Windows Phone/Mobile.

I do not think it will be 3rd time lucky for any newcomer unless there is a total paradigm shift in the types of mobile tech we use and Google or Apple aren't involved in it, which is unlikely now.
    That's probably (and sadly) true.

But don't you think that some more fragmentation in the Android ecosystem would be a good thing? That could well take care of some of the problems discussed in this thread.
    09-05-18 02:57 AM
    At this point, instead of HTML5 making apps obsolete..... Apps have almost made the browser obsolete.
    "Apps" are just a software solution, doesnt matter what container they use. And the server doesnt need static files they can be embedded scripts from python, php, aspx..etc..etc the browser just needs the end result rendered in html markup which has many ways to link components and lower level resources.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 09-05-18 at 10:55 AM.
    09-05-18 04:37 AM
    That's probably (and sadly) true.

But don't you think that some more fragmentation in the Android ecosystem would be a good thing? That could well take care of some of the problems discussed in this thread.
    Google is bringing it all together....

I expect Android One to become the norm for most of the smaller and medium sized OEMs. Consumers, even those buying $100 Android phones are expecting more...

I do think another platform would have been good for consumers, but I don't think a fragmented Android ecosystem is good. Everyone needs to be running the same updated version of Android with the latest security patches.
    09-05-18 07:13 AM

Sad, but true.

I was going to dispute your comment but could not figure out how to search the web for the information.

I fully agree with you, I had some on my team request some software today to do something he could do for free on the web - without having to provide any identity information. I know you are talking about advanced searching, but amazing the lack of basic search skills.
    09-07-18 12:22 AM
    Google is bringing it all together....

I expect Android One to become the norm for most of the smaller and medium sized OEMs. Consumers, even those buying $100 Android phones are expecting more...

I do think another platform would have been good for consumers, but I don't think a fragmented Android ecosystem is good. Everyone needs to be running the same updated version of Android with the latest security patches.
    I look forward to that day, if it ever comes.
    09-07-18 04:38 AM
    Patches yes, absolutely agreed, but monopolies and duopolies are bad for tech, bad for innovation and bad for consumers.

Android is not IOS... it has so much more potential.
    09-07-18 06:11 AM
66 123