Do you agree or disagree? Is Android enough for you? What apps does the business professionals who are coming from BB10 need to get acquainted with?

If Android is not good enough, what is missing? What does BlackBerry need to do to make the business professional productive again? Would there ever be a need for BB11 OS?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 04:35 PM
    Do you agree or disagree? Is Android enough for you? What apps does the business professionals who are coming from BB10 need to get acquainted with?

If Android is not good enough, what is missing? What does BlackBerry need to do to make the business professional productive again? Would there ever be a need for BB11 OS?

Posted via CB10
    Which BlackBerry? BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile?
    08-15-18 04:47 PM
    Which BlackBerry? BlackBerry Limited or BlackBerry Mobile?
    BlackBerry (the software).

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 04:56 PM
    They failed once. I am absolutely sure they would fall again. There is no such a need. These who don't prefer Android already moved to iOS.

The rest who dislike both platforms is not an interesting part of market (see BB10 or WP).

Short answer: no.
    08-15-18 05:03 PM
    It's iOS or Android. There's never going to be a third big mobile OS.

Posted via CB10
    08-15-18 05:22 PM
    I find Android meets all my business needs. Required business apps that only work on Android and iOS. Key travel apps I use on my business trips, I travel on business (around the world) about 35% of the year. Not to mention custom apps our company produces to support our enterprise software. Plus, my main financial institution that has zero branches, all business is handled on-line, I often use their app. All of these require apps that only run on iOS and Android.

What do I do with my phone, I am responsible for a multimillion dollar division in one of the largest enterprise software companies. How big is my division? 8 figures and we are much closer to 9 figures in revenue than 7 figures. So yes some of us know enterprise software. BTW, my company is also a BlackBerry Limited partner with their enterprise software.

I can handle much of my day to day business needs on my phone. I can securely access my corporate file system. I can work on Word, Excel and PowerPoint presentations. I can present PowerPoint presentations from my phone. I can take notes quickly with OneNote and transform them into tasks for my team. I can securely communicate with my colleagues via email and chat. Today while traveling on a plane I never take my laptop out because I can do everything I need with my phone.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-15-18 11:56 PM
    Ummm. Wow!

Thank you for taking the time to fully answer my original post.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-18 12:35 AM
    I find Android meets all my business needs. Required business apps that only work on Android and iOS. Key travel apps I use on my business trips, I travel on business (around the world) about 35% of the year. Not to mention custom apps our company produces to support our enterprise software. Plus, my main financial institution that has zero branches, all business is handled on-line, I often use their app. All of these require apps that only run on iOS and Android.
    The other thing is that if some NEW app or service or task or corporate standard comes into being, tomorrow or next week or month, you don't have to wonder if your phone will be supported - you know iOS and Android will be.

Some niche third-place OS almost certainly wouldn't be. That all by itself is reason enough for most professionals to avoid a niche OS, be that BB10, WinPhone, Sailfish, or whatever.
    skrble and pdr733 like this.
    08-16-18 01:49 AM
    I was in charge of a multimillion dollar operation for a fortune 500 company and that is where I started using blackberry. I tried Microsoft, Apple and eventually android. None of the latter works as well for the essential business tasks as blackberry did. I also wrote several books on my z10 which I still carry. It is true the app situation has created a huge gulf and it will be hard to carry on after 2019 but I am still looking for a viable solution. I

Presently I work for the largest IT solutions company as a hardware and software engineer. I have an android company phone which is a pain but better than the older androids. I still use my Z10 though for everything else

As far as a new OS it will not happen. The smartphone market is tapped out. The most likely scenario will be a new category of devices. Some of these we are working on and I have seen other examples from the bigger market players. It is hard to say if they will change the landscape but they will most likely make an impact on how we handle many things our phones do now.

Posted via CB10
    DonHB likes this.
    08-16-18 08:51 AM
    I was in charge of a multimillion dollar operation for a fortune 500 company and that is where I started using blackberry. I tried Microsoft, Apple and eventually android. None of the latter works as well for the essential business tasks as blackberry did. I also wrote several books on my z10 which I still carry. It is true the app situation has created a huge gulf and it will be hard to carry on after 2019 but I am still looking for a viable solution. I

Presently I work for the largest IT solutions company as a hardware and software engineer. I have an android company phone which is a pain but better than the older androids. I still use my Z10 though for everything else

As far as a new OS it will not happen. The smartphone market is tapped out. The most likely scenario will be a new category of devices. Some of these we are working on and I have seen other examples from the bigger market players. It is hard to say if they will change the landscape but they will most likely make an impact on how we handle many things our phones do now.

Posted via CB10
    Just wondering what you consider essential business tasks. Also, what particularly makes a Z10 great for writing books. The BlackBerry VKB is a licensed version of a keyboard available on Android.
    08-16-18 04:00 PM
    For most business folks, all of the various travel-related apps are vital (Uber/Lyft/taxis, parking, rental cars, hotels, flights, trains, etc.) - whatever is necessary in the area you are traveling. Note too that in some areas of the world, most of these things are done primarily or exclusively via WhatsApp - along with the payments!

Most business people also need banking apps to manage their money while traveling, investment apps, shopping apps (Amazon, etc.), food delivery, office supplies, etc.

They usually need access to the office suite that their company uses, including shared files, and often the CRM app or even custom corporate apps.

Cameras are very important for many business folks - an invaluable way to send back information from the field, for example, or to "scan" documents on the go.

It's a lot more than email and text messages for most people today.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and pdr733 like this.
    08-16-18 04:18 PM
    Also, what particularly makes a Z10 great for writing books. The BlackBerry VKB is a licensed version of a keyboard available on Android.
    But it's not... technically.

BlackBerry tweaked the vkb so you can swipe up the word at the key letter, instead of picking from the list lined out at the top of the keyboard.

That's what I missed most when moving from a Z10 to my current Galaxy S8. I couldn't find a keyboard that did the swipe up, even from SwiftKey (which is the one BlackBerry licensed). So, I installed Cobalt's BlackBerry Manager to add the BlackBerry VKB. And I love it. So much easier, and just like the old Z10.
    08-16-18 04:34 PM
    For most business folks, all of the various travel-related apps are vital (Uber/Lyft/taxis, parking, rental cars, hotels, flights, trains, etc.) - whatever is necessary in the area you are traveling. Note too that in some areas of the world, most of these things are done primarily or exclusively via WhatsApp - along with the payments!

Most business people also need banking apps to manage their money while traveling, investment apps, shopping apps (Amazon, etc.), food delivery, office supplies, etc.

They usually need access to the office suite that their company uses, including shared files, and often the CRM app or even custom corporate apps.

Cameras are very important for many business folks - an invaluable way to send back information from the field, for example, or to "scan" documents on the go.

It's a lot more than email and text messages for most people today.
    Precisely. I quite liked how BB10 worked, but the lack of the apps I needed to do everything, especially when travelling, made it no longer viable.

Moved the KeyOne, and things are much better. Do I miss some of how BB10 worked? Yes. Would I go back to it, not a chance. I'm not emotionally invested in a phone, I use what's best for me.
    08-16-18 04:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB11 is AKA BBAndroid. Most Business professionals have been productive on Android/IOS since around time BB10 was introduced, unless choosing some other platform such as WP or BB10. To suggest we need BB to be productive again, is ludicrous. BB software is a preference and this isn’t 2003 where it’s the primary choice unless PalmOS or Windows Mobile is your fancy.

If BB10 isn’t getting it done for you, that’s not surprising. Pick up BBAndroid device like KEYone or Key2. It’s time for retiring BB10 hardware after long five years or accepting what time is left if you’re going to squeeze every last penny from that phone.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-17-18 06:48 AM
    Just wondering what you consider essential business tasks. Also, what particularly makes a Z10 great for writing books. The BlackBerry VKB is a licensed version of a keyboard available on Android.
    I require a good signal, clear phone conversations and solid communication tools like the hub. The email works great and I have no trouble with it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy and the phone call clarity is horrible and the signal is really poor also. I also prefer the way BB10 handles notifications.

Everything else I handle on a laptop.

As far as a writing the Z10 VKB is far superior to what is out there which I can safely say after thousand of words.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Zidentia; 08-17-18 at 08:14 AM.
    08-17-18 08:02 AM
    Precisely. I quite liked how BB10 worked, but the lack of the apps I needed to do everything, especially when travelling, made it no longer viable.

Moved the KeyOne, and things are much better. Do I miss some of how BB10 worked? Yes. Would I go back to it, not a chance. I'm not emotionally invested in a phone, I use what's best for me.
    My sentiments exactly. There are some things that drive me crazy with my K1, but I wouldn't go back to BB10. The pros outweigh the cons at this point. I save time with apps, and the Hub works pretty well for my needs.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-17-18 08:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's 2018.... most business professionals are just fine with their iOS or Android devices. Sorry but the days of business professionals needed a BlackBerry to be productive ended years ago. We are reaching a point now where a good portion of the business world... have never even used a BlackBerry.

Are their individuals that feel they can't be productive without BBOS or BB10.... sure. But even if you started a real poll and got 100K people to vote yes, bring back BB10.... it wouldn't happen.

I miss some features of BB10... and hope that BlackBerry is about to improve the HUB Suite even more. But I'd never go back to BB10.... even if they released a Z50.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-17-18 08:29 AM
    I love ALL the responses that I have received here. It's very enlightening. I applaud your candor & honesty.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and BerryRipe like this.
    08-17-18 08:36 AM
    That third OS already exists - it's called Microsoft Windows. They tried once but with a watered down, garbage product based on the same data-mining principles as Google and Apple. Wonder what would happen with real windows, running proper x86 and x64 applications, driver support, etc...with a paid license for private enterprise, instead of the freeware/spyware model it's competitors are using...
    08-17-18 08:40 AM
    I require a good signal, clear phone conversations and solid communication tools like the hub. The email works great and I have no trouble with it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy and the phone call clarity is horrible and the signal is really poor also. I also prefer the way BB10 handles notifications.

Everything else I handle on a laptop.

As far as a writing the Z10 VKB is far superior to what is out there which I can safely say after thousand of words.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what Samsung phone you have, I am now using a Note 8 for the last year and used a Note 4 for 2.5 years. I ave used both on Networks around the world hand have never had reception or clarity problems. Also 4G has always been very good. Both are about the best mobile phones I have used and I have been using mobile phones since my brick phone in the early 90's.

If you have the same massive email requirements like BB10adopter and BB10 maybe is best for you. Personally I uses email, and my Note 8 is customized to my business needs. Android is an amazing blank canvas to customize to meet individual needs. If you just stay with a stock experience I find Android pretty useless. I doubt I use anything stock on my phone.

As for any experience, app, phone or anything else I value opinions that are opinions. I don't say Android is the best for everyone, but I find myself very productive and I love not having to be tied to my laptop for any work reason. I can do everything I need from my phone. In the past on trips for business or Personal I always dragged my laptop around. No I almost never take it on Personal trips.

I work around some of the smartest minds in the Tech industry and many of them use iOS. Why, because it works and meets their needs. I have not heard an in office discussion about which is best for years. We support both and our employees can choose between both systems. We did support BB10, ended after BlackBerry Limited announced they were leaving the phone business. We actually knew a lot about this decision before it was announced (we are a BlackBerry Limited development partner) at one time we even developed BB10 apps. Today in house and for our products we support Android and iOS.
    08-17-18 02:11 PM
    Not sure what Samsung phone you have, I am now using a Note 8 for the last year and used a Note 4 for 2.5 years.
    Yeah, I've had my S8 for almost a year now, and I've had no signal issues on AT&T. Now, I don't travel all over the place, just hanging out in South Louisiana, but around here, signal is great, and HD voice is clear.
    08-17-18 02:23 PM
    Not sure what Samsung phone you have, I am now using a Note 8 for the last year and used a Note 4 for 2.5 years. I ave used both on Networks around the world hand have never had reception or clarity problems. Also 4G has always been very good. Both are about the best mobile phones I have used and I have been using mobile phones since my brick phone in the early 90's.

If you have the same massive email requirements like BB10adopter and BB10 maybe is best for you. Personally I uses email, and my Note 8 is customized to my business needs. Android is an amazing blank canvas to customize to meet individual needs. If you just stay with a stock experience I find Android pretty useless. I doubt I use anything stock on my phone.

As for any experience, app, phone or anything else I value opinions that are opinions. I don't say Android is the best for everyone, but I find myself very productive and I love not having to be tied to my laptop for any work reason. I can do everything I need from my phone. In the past on trips for business or Personal I always dragged my laptop around. No I almost never take it on Personal trips.

I work around some of the smartest minds in the Tech industry and many of them use iOS. Why, because it works and meets their needs. I have not heard an in office discussion about which is best for years. We support both and our employees can choose between both systems. We did support BB10, ended after BlackBerry Limited announced they were leaving the phone business. We actually knew a lot about this decision before it was announced (we are a BlackBerry Limited development partner) at one time we even developed BB10 apps. Today in house and for our products we support Android and iOS.
    It is a galaxy S7 and it is horrible comparable to my Z10. As far as IOS I have used it previously at the previous job. The eco systems is ok due to the tight hardware control but again the actual day to day viability of the phones are not that great and they do experience problems with each new model.

I am by no means holding BB10 up as a shining example of the only phone that works. I had several phones that were outstanding including an LG VX8300, a Sony erricson T10 and others. I just expect a phone to be good at its purpose, calling and receiving calls. A smartphone should be good at communication.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-18 03:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sure Android is enough; it is the interface that is substandard. IMHO the best interface for business was windows metro live tiles. Live tiles were like android widgets on steroids and separate email accounts could have separate tiles providing detailed information without ever needing to leave or move the home screen.

This interface is easy to reproduce. There are multiple launchers on android that mimic the metro launcher in different ways. Some of these have more than 1 million downloads. The existing MS android launcher was originally designed by a small section within MS employees as a garage styled project.

Since the official demise of WM10, MS have been focussed on software for both IOS and Android. They have been extremely successful with their subscription based offerings. So successful in fact, that they have no need or desire to enter the handset market again anytime soon. Why would they?

At the demise of WM10, MS adopted their own garage developed launcher officially and have pushed it hard. With the demand for metro styled launchers, it is difficult to understand why MS will not create an android launcher that brings the best parts of WM to android. Live tiles provided sufficient information to render most notifications irrelevant.

Those that used WM knew this and many still miss the superior experience the metro interface provided. One can only dream. A tiled interface based on gestures would be perfect sitting above a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-18 03:00 AM
    Business phone needs a robust app market with decent market share.
    08-18-18 03:41 AM
    It is a galaxy S7 and it is horrible comparable to my Z10. As far as IOS I have used it previously at the previous job. The eco systems is ok due to the tight hardware control but again the actual day to day viability of the phones are not that great and they do experience problems with each new model.

I am by no means holding BB10 up as a shining example of the only phone that works. I had several phones that were outstanding including an LG VX8300, a Sony erricson T10 and others. I just expect a phone to be good at its purpose, calling and receiving calls. A smartphone should be good at communication.

Posted via CB10
    We all have to use what works best for us....

But you have to realize that your "experiences" isn't that of the majority of users out there - consumer or enterprise (is there even a difference?). Most people were just fine with the Galaxy S7 (and it's two replacements) and even more so most are just fine with the iPhone of today, as it has one of the highest customer satisfaction ratings.

Calling and receiving calls... only people I know with issues, it's more network related than hardware related. I'm sure there are some phones out there that are better or worse, but I don't think the popular flagships of today are an issue. But any OEM can have some bad devices...
    08-20-18 07:31 AM
66 123