I can't speak to hybrids, but the Z10 has worse battery life than the 9810 (which should be similar to the 9900). I suspect that is mostly because of LTE. In retrospect I would have gone with the Q10.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-04-13 07:06 PM
    Buy a used 9900. There's TONS of stuff missing from BB10 that will frustrate hardcore users like us. The upcoming OS updates look promising. Until then, grab the 9900.

I have the Q10 right now, but am thinking of pulling out the 9900 for simple things that this first release of BlackBerry 10 is missing.

The 9900 is still a powerhouse phone and doesn't seem out of date at all so long as you want it for "BlackBerry" reasons.

Posted via CB10
    I think this is spot on. I like my Q10, but it has countless little problems in the programming that might drive someone like you nuts. The 9900 is a pretty perfect BB.
    08-04-13 07:30 PM
    I can't speak to hybrids, but the Z10 has worse battery life than the 9810 (which should be similar to the 9900). I suspect that is mostly because of LTE. In retrospect I would have gone with the Q10.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    You can turn off LTE, I think. I don't know if you use data a lot while not on wifi though. I don't.
    08-04-13 07:31 PM
    My Z10 last 10-12 hours on H+ from minimal to moderate use, it could be lower if I use LTE. It's pretty decent enough now in my opinion because of the updates. So when inside a Wi Fi hot spot, I suggest to switch to 2G to save battery.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 07:54 PM
    The Z10 is simply amazing. You won't regret it. Especially with 10.2 coming soon. Minors details are getting ironed out. The keyboard, after a week or so, reads your mind when texting!

Posted via CB 10 on my naked Z10
    08-04-13 08:07 PM
    Hmm, I really hear what you guys are saying. The problem with the 9900 is autofocus, the inability to load most websites or stream videos (I may be wrong about that). There's no REAL YouTube app, and since I want to switch to one device and am abandoning my iPod Touch I will need the apps to compensate. So, this one will be extremely tricky. The 9900 will be more cost-effective anyway. The problem with the legacy devices is that since so many people have moved towards iOS and Android, keeping in touch with friends or family across the globe (I moved countries) becomes a little difficult (as they no longer have BBM or never had it in the first place). Third party apps never run as smooth as integrated apps on BlackBerry 7 devices, no matter how well designed they are. That's simply a fact. It just feels really odd running WhatsApp on a Bold 9900 - it doesn't match the entire theme, the icon looks "off" and the interface too. But since BBM is coming to iOS and Android that problem may go away. What about a navigator or bus/train app? A free one? Are there any that run smooth? And obviously, SkyDrive. I really want SkyDrive on the device that I'm using.

The Z10 really does seem future proof with NFC and BlackBerry 10.2, but then I lose productivity? Ugh I wish QNX's keypad version had a similar interface to that of BlackBerry OS so that it would still be highly efficient in basic tasks while still holding its command in stuff like web browsing. If someone could comment on what I just said, perhaps proving me wrong, agreeing with me, whatever, it would be highly appreciated - and once again, thanks for all the replies.

~ still undecided.
    I really liked my 9790. It had auto focus and everything the 9900 had. It's one of the lesser known bolds, but solved the 9900 shortcomings for me.

I bought it from Canada, but used it on tmobile in the us.

The main difference was the keyboard. It was the 9700 style, not the larger 9900. Not necessarily bad, just different.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 08:43 PM
    You can turn off LTE, I think. I don't know if you use data a lot while not on wifi though. I don't.
    Yeah, I never do it because it's an unreasonable compromise to me. It's sort of like crippling a key feature. Same reason I never turn off swipe to unlock. I actually never use Wi-Fi, especially now that large BlackBerry World downloads are permitted over cellular networks, because I have 6GB of data.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-04-13 09:23 PM
    I hear ya.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-13 09:45 PM
    I really liked my 9790. It had auto focus and everything the 9900 had. It's one of the lesser known bolds, but solved the 9900 shortcomings for me.

I bought it from Canada, but used it on tmobile in the us.

The main difference was the keyboard. It was the 9700 style, not the larger 9900. Not necessarily bad, just different.

Posted via CB10
    I love the 9790. Never had one but it's one of my top choices before settling down to Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 05:50 AM
    I switched from Bold 9900 to Q10 with no regrets!
    I first thought that I would have miss my trackpad a lot, and that I will have hardtimes to learn the new OS.
    But I guess I over estimated the usage gap betwen the 2 devices (or I learn to fast lol), because in 2 days, I was already allin.
    It's even the reverse, I still use a bit my Bold for gaming a bit, and I still use BB10 gesture with it there and there

The battery is simply awesome and without compare with the Z.
    Man don't force yourself to get the Z if you still are a keyboard user! The Q is a rocking device if you let it its chance!

My experience.
    08-05-13 06:30 AM
    I can send an text to my wife 2 button clicks on bb7. Os 10 requires me to type "text wife name" then hit enter...that over 4 times as long. And then to send I have to hit the send button. Bb7 requires two trackpad clicks, Don't event need to look at the screen to do that.

On BB10 just open Hub, open last message sent to your wife and start typing. Or just use speed dial app, tap and hold and choose send text. Or just select wife from recent calls with a long press, tap info on side menu. Or use address book, tap contact then select text mobile.
    BB10 is much faster overall due to the fact that it is so flexible. There are numerous ways to perform basic functions

Compose an email? Hit c then the contact name (bb7 auto selects the last email account you used to send email to that contact). Bb10, open hub, click c, select account, then type contact name. Two more steps! Oh wait, maybe I'll use the instant action email, thats should be faster on bb10. But guess what? It doesn't work! It's a huge bug that has been there for almost 6 months!

I don't know what instant action email is. Most of my outgoing email is sent from the account that I chose as my default sending account if I'm replying to an email. Or just select contact from address book, choose email and it'll use the default email address. Easy. No typing contact name if you don't need to.

Call someone on bb7, hold ONE BUTTON on the main screen for speed dial. Bb10, l have to look at the screen to tap the phone, then click on the phone pad, then hold a button. More than 3 times as long.

Or just use the speed dial app free from BlackBerry World lol. As many as you require can be displayed, not limited to the number of available keys. The keyboard shortcuts on bb10 are used for other things like press T to send a tweet or FB for Facebook status update (there are a ton more) no more opening the app or using the BlackBerry social hub on bb7. BIG timesaver.

Hang up a call, bb7, just click the hang up button. Bb10, exit the app I'm using, go back to the phone app, the make sure I'm pressing the end call area of the screen.

Well, you can have that one

Text selection. Trackpad wins hands down.

And that

Calendar entry? Bb7, let me hit "l" from the main screen, find the date, quickly select time from trackpad and type meeting info. Bb10, let me first find the calendar app by swiping around, then let's open it, then we find the date, then we kind of get the time right by touching, then type the subject, then swipe up and down to get the time right, then click save. Way more involved.

Just move the calendar icon to the first page of apps, then you don't need to find it, or just tap C on the Q10 or search then C on the Z10 to open calendar, select date, put the time in etc. Virtually the same as bb7 in terms of time consumption. Calendar also links to map app for one tap location. Oh, the maps are also way way way quicker than the appalling speed of bb7

Voice to text. Vlingo required holding down the convenience key and you could paste text into ANY text field. Bb10 voice control is abysmal at composing lengthy emails white driving....you can't do it, period.

Vlingo wasn't that good and no voice control app is anything near accurate when driving, period.

No BIS for international travel, get ready for a huge data bill.

Rubbish, I'm in the UK and data charges are capped on the continent and as of next year all roaming charges scrapped.
    Use your head and you'll be fine.

I could go on and on about why bb10 is literally years behind bb7, but I don't want to exceed the post limit.

I could go on about why the BB10 is one of the top 2 Os's on the market today in terms of efficiency, ease of use, security etc, and why the world began dumping legacy devices 3 years ago in their droves, but I won't. Ok, I will, SPEED.

Stay away from the new blackberry until they catch up to bb7, unless you really want a better web browser, that's one area where it has improved.

Or loading time for anything that uses the Internet for data, or camera quality or processor speed or easy sharing to social media sites or GPS speed, or screen real estate (Z or Q) or a ton of other great features like timeshift or burst mode or games or Kindle etc...... the list goes on.

Posted via CB10

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633 O2 Uk
    08-05-13 10:10 AM
    @Valdar sorry, I didn't mean to edit your post. Feel free to correct.

08-05-13 10:12 AM
    I switched from a Bold 9900 to my Z10, and I don't miss anything. The only real decision is Q10 or Z10.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 12:44 PM
    @ guygardner73 your contribution to this thread was one of the most helpful and probably the reason why I will go with the BlackBerry Z10 over the 9900. I was actually very surprised to see the number of people defending the legacy devices. I just hope that I won't miss the simplicity and efficiency of the 9700.

As for the Calendar app, I've never used it. Literally, I've never, ever, added something to it. I always used Memopad; I don't know why xD Roaming charges don't really matter to me because when I'm on holiday I have Wi-Fi most of the time and if not, well I should be enjoying the place that I am at not looking through my BBM list xD Plus the lack of BIS might just serve as an advantage. I can pop in a local SIM if I'm in another country and still use BBM on pay as you go. A lot of networks internationally do NOT offer BlackBerry services on pay as you go, and sticking to roaming would inhibit me from making local/international calls and messages. So this way I could pop in a local SIM, use data without worrying about the plan or the entire service book issue, AND make local calls and messages without having to compromise and select the more expensive roaming rate.

I have to say though, this is by far one of the most interesting threads I've come across (didn't expect that I'd be the one making it though). So yes, I will be moving on to the BlackBerry Z10. Another thing which I thought about is the fact that I will not be switching phones for at least a year and a half. I doubt the 9900 will still be supported till then. Plus, the camera will annoy me, as well as the inability to make BBM video calls since BBM is going to be going cross platform. The typing experience isn't too bad, heck, it's way better than iOS or Android, and I think I'll adjust. Can't deny I'll miss the old BB OS. It was raining heavily today and I was at the high street. I could literally be walking and talking to my Dad while replying to my messages (without looking). Such "features" will be missed by hardcore BlackBerry fans

Once again, thank you everyone for your contribution, whether it was an empty message with just a quote or a long maths debate (if you saw what I did there xD) - sorry I'm immature Now I just have to find myself a Z10 for a good price. I'm gonna have to go for unlocked because I often visit my country, Pakistan, and it would be a real pain to have to get it unlocked by third party, I can't trust them with the new BlackBerry 10 devices :O

A few questions though:

Can the BBM on BlackBerry 10 devices make (BBM) voice calls without Wi-Fi? (2G, 3G, 4G)
    Is Kik available on BlackBerry 10 devices? (Not the Android sideload)
    Is SkyDrive available on BlackBerry 10 devices? Bloody hell, I don't care if it's a sideload I just want it T_T
    Is there any REAL way to accurately, selectively select text, cut copy and paste? Like, not just select all, but select a portion of it. I couldn't get it working on the Z10 properly
    Can the BlackBerry hub be "reset" to the hub screen/menu each time you open it rather than where you previously were?
    And, battery percentage, really? Y u no give me percentage?

Thanks
    08-05-13 12:46 PM
    @ guygardner73 your contribution to this thread was one of the most helpful and probably the reason why I will go with the BlackBerry Z10 over the 9900. I was actually very surprised to see the number of people defending the legacy devices. I just hope that I won't miss the simplicity and efficiency of the 9700.

As for the Calendar app, I've never used it. Literally, I've never, ever, added something to it. I always used Memopad; I don't know why xD Roaming charges don't really matter to me because when I'm on holiday I have Wi-Fi most of the time and if not, well I should be enjoying the place that I am at not looking through my BBM list xD Plus the lack of BIS might just serve as an advantage. I can pop in a local SIM if I'm in another country and still use BBM on pay as you go. A lot of networks internationally do NOT offer BlackBerry services on pay as you go, and sticking to roaming would inhibit me from making local/international calls and messages. So this way I could pop in a local SIM, use data without worrying about the plan or the entire service book issue, AND make local calls and messages without having to compromise and select the more expensive roaming rate.

I have to say though, this is by far one of the most interesting threads I've come across (didn't expect that I'd be the one making it though). So yes, I will be moving on to the BlackBerry Z10. Another thing which I thought about is the fact that I will not be switching phones for at least a year and a half. I doubt the 9900 will still be supported till then. Plus, the camera will annoy me, as well as the inability to make BBM video calls since BBM is going to be going cross platform. The typing experience isn't too bad, heck, it's way better than iOS or Android, and I think I'll adjust. Can't deny I'll miss the old BB OS. It was raining heavily today and I was at the high street. I could literally be walking and talking to my Dad while replying to my messages (without looking). Such "features" will be missed by hardcore BlackBerry fans

Once again, thank you everyone for your contribution, whether it was an empty message with just a quote or a long maths debate (if you saw what I did there xD) - sorry I'm immature Now I just have to find myself a Z10 for a good price. I'm gonna have to go for unlocked because I often visit my country, Pakistan, and it would be a real pain to have to get it unlocked by third party, I can't trust them with the new BlackBerry 10 devices :O

A few questions though:

Can the BBM on BlackBerry 10 devices make (BBM) voice calls without Wi-Fi? (2G, 3G, 4G)
    Is Kik available on BlackBerry 10 devices? (Not the Android sideload)
    Is SkyDrive available on BlackBerry 10 devices? Bloody hell, I don't care if it's a sideload I just want it T_T
    Is there any REAL way to accurately, selectively select text, cut copy and paste? Like, not just select all, but select a portion of it. I couldn't get it working on the Z10 properly
    Can the BlackBerry hub be "reset" to the hub screen/menu each time you open it rather than where you previously were?
    And, battery percentage, really? Y u no give me percentage?

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I came from a 9900 and thoroughly loved that device but after taking the plunge on 1st February and going for the Z10, I haven't looked back. I'll address your concerns one by one.

The Z can voice and video call on BBM over 3G and wifi.

I don't know about KIK sorry.

I'm a Sky drive user myself, I use a native BB10 app called PlayCloud that can access sky drive, Google drive, Dropbox, Box, sugar sync, and your desktop /laptop. There is a dedicated sky drive app called Cloud Explorer. If you want the direct approach, the browser is unequalled.

Text select is okay, it works like this : press the word you want to copy until it's highlighted in blue. If you keep your finger on it, the blue highlighting extends word by word until you lift your finger, long press again and the menu appears on the right of the screen for cut copy etc. If you want to do it manually, lift finger after the first word is highlighted and you'll be presented with tabs either end of the blue. You can position either one where you want then press again for the menu on the right.

For the last two, I believe they are being resolved in 10.2 in probably 2-3 months.

I hope that helps. Get ready for a seriously addictive device whether you go Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 or whatever else may be out when you upgrade.

08-05-13 01:34 PM
    For what it's worth, I came from a 9900 and thoroughly loved that device but after taking the plunge on 1st February and going for the Z10, I haven't looked back. I'll address your concerns one by one.

The Z can voice and video call on BBM over 3G and wifi.

I don't know about KIK sorry.

I'm a Sky drive user myself, I use a native BB10 app called PlayCloud that can access sky drive, Google drive, Dropbox, Box, sugar sync, and your desktop /laptop. There is a dedicated sky drive app called Cloud Explorer. If you want the direct approach, the browser is unequalled.

Text select is okay, it works like this : press the word you want to copy until it's highlighted in blue. If you keep your finger on it, the blue highlighting extends word by word until you lift your finger, long press again and the menu appears on the right of the screen for cut copy etc. If you want to do it manually, lift finger after the first word is highlighted and you'll be presented with tabs either end of the blue. You can position either one where you want then press again for the menu on the right.

For the last two, I believe they are being resolved in 10.2 in probably 2-3 months.

I hope that helps. Get ready for a seriously addictive device whether you go Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30 or whatever else may be out when you upgrade.

Thanks for the response, it was very thorough yet to the point, precisely what I needed. So, I can't wait to switch to the Z10 Once again, thank you everyone for your replies and I can rest assured knowing that I won't be making the wrong decision. And yes, I'm also thankful to al those BlackBerry 10 haters who claim that it's "years behind in efficiency" - no sarcasm, your replies were some of the most helpful

Well, that's about it, I can't wait to pick up this device
    deltact likes this.
    08-05-13 03:32 PM
    UPDATE: 11/08/2013 (UK format)

I got my BlackBerry Z10 in white and it's awesome as hell. I could not love it any more than I already do Not only is it super sexy, but the typing experience is actually not half bad. The keyboard is pretty accurate and the physical keyboards are only marginally better. I switched my BBM contacts from the 9700 instantly and everything's great. The only thing I do not like is that I have to be on the home screen to access the quick settings thing (the one with wifi, rotation lock toggles etc)

I'm transferring my contacts to it as we speak Does anyone know if it's possible to keep the BBM contacts separate from BlackBerry's contacts instead of automatically merging them?
    08-11-13 11:08 AM
    Use the Peek gesture to see your contacts already segregated in categories (Facebook, Twitter, BBM Contacts, BBM Video Contacts, etc.)

Posted via CB10
    08-11-13 08:30 PM
    Yes, in contacts, just pull to the right and it's all there for you. I really hope you love the phone like I do. All in all, I think it offers a more organic experience than the competition.

08-12-13 03:43 AM
    When in an app, just use a simple double swipe gesture to get to settings. Up from the bottom and then down from the top. It can be done very quickly. And returning to the app from an active frame is of course very quick.

08-12-13 03:46 AM
    For battery life definitely get the q10. As far as Skydrive, there are a few apps that have that integration such as Files and Folders, Play Cloud 10 and File Browser for Skydrive. Also depending on your computer, if you have desktop Skydrive then the remote file access is a good alternative because you can access the folder on your hard drive.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-13 08:02 PM
46 12