Hello fellow CrackBerry users, abusers and molesters. (No idea how that made sense, but let's put it in there)

So, I'm still running the old and Bold 9700 on OS 5 with a hybrid. I'm not sure if I should switch to the Z10 or the Q10. Here's the thing, my Dad owns a Z10 and I don't think the battery life is on par with the 9700, running a hybrid. Also, I know I'll miss the interface of being clickity and the lovely physical keyboard. The Q10 is just not that appealing to me. It's like, you have a touchscreen and then a physical keyboard. I don't want the physical keyboard if the interface isn't designed for the keyboard to benefit me. Like, you know, the way you could open the menu with the menu key, hit "P" on the keyboard, hit the trackpad, or the quick spamming of paste using shift+trackpad click. So then we have the Z10, the new interface of BB 10 just have its benefits but it does lack in certain areas. I'm an EXTREMELY picky person when it comes to my phones. I cannot stand that little unresponsiveness present on an Android device, and its unnecessary transitions. This is why I like my old BlackBerry. You click on an app and it opens. Precisely, nothing extra that wastes my time or distracts me. No other devices can open and close for an app the way the legacy devices can.

Now the problem starts with the fact that I want a few apps on my device. I'm not a massive app-fan, who needs hundreds of apps but only ends up using two of those on a daily basis, no. I don't really use any third-party apps on my BlackBerry other than CaptureIt, as they are not as optimised as the integrated ones provided by RIM (well, BlackBerry). However, I really do want a SkyDrive app to manage all my stuff in the cloud and view it. Oh and I forgot to mention, another reason why I'm posting this thread is because my iPod Touch 4th Generation is nearly dead so I need to find an alternative. Other than SkyDrive I will definitely need Kik or an app such as Couple (currently present for iOS and Android), for my girl ^_^ I could tell her to just download WhatsApp. She's running an Android though. Anyways, back to the point here. How good is the typing experience on the Z10. I've used it before, quite a few times, and I'm not sure exactly how it'll do because I haven't been using it while I'm sleeping sideways or with my eyes nearly shut, or using custom words. I just don't know if it'll live up to the expectations already set by the lovely physical keyboards. I am a HEAVY text-er/BBM-er/email-er. Well obviously, I'm a teenag-er :P (if you got what I did there)

Another thing, I couldn't really manage to get the copy and paste to work exactly how I wanted to on the Z10, it doesn't seem as flawless as selecting the text using a trackpad and the shift key :/ But yes, I do need a device that can actually load up a full web page in a reasonable amount of time, or through which I can Google stuff without making sure that the website has a mobile icon next to it before proceeding. So yes, I was thinking of picking up a (used) Z10. What do you guys think? I don't want to waste the money on a device that won't live up to my expectations and yes it's a major "upgrade" in the big picture, but hardcore BlackBerry users that are into their email, messages and stuff probably want their clickity-clackity OS. I just don't know if it'll feel like an upgrade or downgrade for me... Or am I worrying too much? Anyway, since you read all of this, I just wanted to say thank you for hearing me out and thank you in advance (again) in case you decide to post a reply.
    08-02-13 07:02 PM
    If you need battery life theb get the q10. I have a z10 and love it but I really like my wife's q10 with the great battery and keyboard

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 07:15 PM
    I was an efficiency machine like you on my old BlackBerry Bold. Believe it or not, I think you are a much better candidate for the Z10. I bought a Q10 from Verizon online sight unseen, and it came to me with a loose space bar. By the time u was able to exchange it a week later, I had already figured out that BB10 was designed for a touch interface for maximum efficiency - just as the old BBOS was designed for maximum efficiency with the keyboard.

Also, you will likely find that mobile websites, and converted android apps, are designed with a large, Z10/iphone/Android screen size.

As for cut and paste, think of the big circle as the overhead view of a joystick. Taps on the edge will give you precision cursor control, and you will eventually get the hang of copy and paste.

Posted via CB10
    anon(4185604) likes this.
    08-02-13 07:37 PM
    One more thing - when I exchanged the phone, I exchanged it for a Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 07:39 PM
    One odd thing, when I use my wife's q10 I tend to look for the old BlackBerry back button and end key, even though I am used to my z10.

The advantages of the q10 are a much better speaker, better battery and the keyboard.

The z10 of course you get a huge screen. Also one handed typing is great with flick typing.

I suggest you go to a store and try them both out

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 08:30 PM
    [thread moved and title updated]
    08-02-13 08:50 PM
    For battery life, go with the Q. If I could swap to the Q I would for sure. I came from the 9810 so I had the best of both worlds, big screen and keyboard, and battery as well. I'd rather have a smaller screen than worry about battery life like I do now. No doubt LTE does not help.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-02-13 08:55 PM
    Buy a used 9900. There's TONS of stuff missing from BB10 that will frustrate hardcore users like us. The upcoming OS updates look promising. Until then, grab the 9900.

I have the Q10 right now, but am thinking of pulling out the 9900 for simple things that this first release of BlackBerry 10 is missing.

The 9900 is still a powerhouse phone and doesn't seem out of date at all so long as you want it for "BlackBerry" reasons.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 09:09 PM
    I was an efficiency machine like you on my old BlackBerry Bold. Believe it or not, I think you are a much better candidate for the Z10. I bought a Q10 from Verizon online sight unseen, and it came to me with a loose space bar. By the time u was able to exchange it a week later, I had already figured out that BB10 was designed for a touch interface for maximum efficiency - just as the old BBOS was designed for maximum efficiency with the keyboard.

Also, you will likely find that mobile websites, and converted android apps, are designed with a large, Z10/iphone/Android screen size.

As for cut and paste, think of the big circle as the overhead view of a joystick. Taps on the edge will give you precision cursor control, and you will eventually get the hang of copy and paste.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you everyone for your response, particularly the person above. I don't know why but the fact that you were also an "efficiency machine" and think I'd be better off with the Z10 gives me a level of confidence in switching to it. Also, I did consider the option of just sticking with BB OS till it's completely dead, but I guess this seems like a better option - I don't know why the subject was renamed.

Once again, thank you everyone for your replies. I'm a little concerned about battery life but the Q10 really doesn't appeal to me as much because the smaller touch screen (for me) removes the point of it being touch and I'd prefer the keyboard-trackpad interface on a smaller screen. Maybe I'll buy another battery, extended battery, I don't know, but it seems like I'll probably go for a Z10.

This is open to more suggestions, by the way
    08-02-13 09:14 PM
    Buy a used 9900. There's TONS of stuff missing from BB10 that will frustrate hardcore users like us. The upcoming OS updates look promising. Until then, grab the 9900.

I have the Q10 right now, but am thinking of pulling out the 9900 for simple things that this first release of BlackBerry 10 is missing.

The 9900 is still a powerhouse phone and doesn't seem out of date at all so long as you want it for "BlackBerry" reasons.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry I just missed your reply I'm guessing it came up after I posted as you posted at 3:09 am here and I posted at 3:14 am. So I probably took more than 5 minutes to type that out. Anyways, I am thinking of that too but I'm really, really confused. My sister owns a 9900 and I hate the way the lock button is positioned and I hate the fact that the camera does not have autofocus. I also think that I might be able to go for a higher priced plan since I'll be cutting costs on the need for BlackBerry services but then again it'll help me on roaming but then again I can just switch to Wi-Fi and use BBM. I did really like the support for flash on the BlackBerry 10 devices, something that Android and iOS don't offer without third party apps or modifications. I'm just very, very confused here. I think that while the 9900 will keep me content with my entire "BlackBerry" purpose (email, SMS, BBM), it isn't future proof at all and there are some apps I might want on my phone in the future that I may not be aware of right now, and getting a legacy device will shut down that option for me. I absolutely HATE running anything other than integrated RIM apps on the BB OS devices, due to the terrible experience. Also, thanks for the post, I'm really in doubt about the entire copy and paste thing but maybe I'll get used to it, or maybe I've started to use it less often. I know that whenever in some kind of argument with like a girl or something it was a pain in the *** trying to copy selective text in a message using an iPod Touch and I fear it'll be the same on the Z10

So far, I'm thinking, BlackBerry Z10 or 9900.
    08-02-13 09:22 PM
    I haven't been using it while I'm sleeping sideways
    If you got a problem on the Z10 turning into landscape mode when using it while lying on the bed sideways, you can always enabled Rotation Lock in just 1-2 swipes.

Anyway, yeah I think you're worrying too much. In my experience, I came from Nokia, been using it for 5 years. I trusted it with my life. Then I noticed my 5320 XpressMusic dying slowly each day, I begin to think that I needed a new phone. I was using a traditional keypad (not QWERTY), 2008 model phone and suddenly switched to all-touch Z10, imagine that risk! At first I was considering iPhone (ditched it because of the non-removable battery), Samsung Galaxy SIII (ditched it because of it's size and I think it's too "flashy"). Then I considered a Curve due to budget limitations at that time. I was so paranoid back then because like you, I don't want to waste my money on something I will not enjoy. I considered also going into Bold 9900 or Bold 9790 but skipped because 9900 doesn't have autofocus on it's camera while the 9790 was lacking screen size for a touchscreen. When the Z10 was released, the first thing caught me was it's simplicity on design. And I love how it flows through tasks without having to go to a home button. I gave touchscreen a chance and purchased a Z10. The first day, I was slow as molasses on typing messages. 5 years into traditional physical keyboard and in a day switched suddenly to QWERTY touchscreen keyboard wasn't very easy as expected. But after a week, I got used to it, got used on the gestures and all. So I suggest give it a chance. When you got used to it, you may not want to go back to legacy devices and start appreciating the device. Good luck!
    08-02-13 09:27 PM
    Sorry I just missed your reply I'm guessing it came up after I posted as you posted at 3:09 am here and I posted at 3:14 am. So I probably took more than 5 minutes to type that out. Anyways, I am thinking of that too but I'm really, really confused. My sister owns a 9900 and I hate the way the lock button is positioned and I hate the fact that the camera does not have autofocus. I also think that I might be able to go for a higher priced plan since I'll be cutting costs on the need for BlackBerry services but then again it'll help me on roaming but then again I can just switch to Wi-Fi and use BBM. I did really like the support for flash on the BlackBerry 10 devices, something that Android and iOS don't offer without third party apps or modifications. I'm just very, very confused here. I think that while the 9900 will keep me content with my entire "BlackBerry" purpose (email, SMS, BBM), it isn't future proof at all and there are some apps I might want on my phone in the future that I may not be aware of right now, and getting a legacy device will shut down that option for me. I absolutely HATE running anything other than integrated RIM apps on the BB OS devices, due to the terrible experience. Also, thanks for the post, I'm really in doubt about the entire copy and paste thing but maybe I'll get used to it, or maybe I've started to use it less often. I know that whenever in some kind of argument with like a girl or something it was a pain in the *** trying to copy selective text in a message using an iPod Touch and I fear it'll be the same on the Z10

So far, I'm thinking, BlackBerry Z10 or 9900.
    We came from a non BB physical keyboard phone(s) wife and I are both in love with our Zeds.
    08-02-13 09:30 PM
    Came from a Bold and will probably never need a physical keyboard again. The first day it took a few minutes to send longer messages, but after a day or two, you'll be swiping like there is no tomorrow! Also if you are "Extremely picky" as you said, don't get frustrated with the new OS, after day 3 or 4 it'll all make sense!! Good luck!! Love my z10!! BlackBerry truly got it right, too bad that the media and BlackBerry give it average recognition.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10
    08-02-13 09:50 PM
    If you got a problem on the Z10 turning into landscape mode when using it while lying on the bed sideways, you can always enabled Rotation Lock in just 1-2 swipes.

Samsung Galaxy SIII (ditched it because of it's size and I think it's too "flashy").

I considered also going into Bold 9900 or Bold 9790 but skipped because 9900 doesn't have autofocus on it's camera while the 9790 was lacking screen size for a touchscreen. When the Z10 was released, the first thing caught me was it's simplicity on design. And I love how it flows through tasks without having to go to a home button. I gave touchscreen a chance and purchased a Z10.
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The rotation lock thing, well I'm hoping that shouldn't be an issue so thanks for that. I definitely agree with you and personally used the same word to describe how Androids typically are: "too flashy". So I guess I'm gonna buy the Z10 but I do want to hear the opinion of at least one person who favours the 9900 to the Z10. Sorry guys, but the Q10 is a no for me.
    08-02-13 09:54 PM
    Well, I think the 9900 is a great phone esp. if you're a heavy texter, BBMer, whatever you call it, and if you don't mind having no AF on your camera.
    08-02-13 10:15 PM
    Came from a Bold and will probably never need a physical keyboard again. The first day it took a few minutes to send longer messages, but after a day or two, you'll be swiping like there is no tomorrow! Also if you are "Extremely picky" as you said, don't get frustrated with the new OS, after day 3 or 4 it'll all make sense!! Good luck!! Love my z10!! BlackBerry truly got it right, too bad that the media and BlackBerry give it average recognition.

Posted via BlackBerry Z10

Posted via CB10
    08-02-13 11:15 PM
    Don't switch! I've said it in other threads, but bb10 is years behind in terms of efficiency compared to any bold device. I see the bb10 devices as beta devices, first gen. They might catch up to bb7 in a few years, but don't switch until then. Everything you do is so much slower on the new OS, except web browsing.

If I had to do it again, I would've stayed with the bold 9790.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 07:12 AM
    Don't switch! I've said it in other threads, but bb10 is years behind in terms of efficiency compared to any bold device. I see the bb10 devices as beta devices, first gen. They might catch up to bb7 in a few years, but don't switch until then. Everything you do is so much slower on the new OS, except web browsing.

If I had to do it again, I would've stayed with the bold 9790.

Posted via CB10
    He's either joking or insane, the Z10 is tons more reliable and faster than legacy devices. Try a bb10 device for a couple of days and you'll see what I mean. The Q (either one) offers such speed of communication that you will be gobsmacked.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633
    Sergeant_Im likes this.
    08-03-13 02:11 PM
    Q for keyboard Z for screen real estate!
    08-03-13 02:35 PM
    Dont stop using your 9700. Use the Z10 or Q10 for media and social. And use your 9700 for IM.
    08-03-13 02:43 PM
    He's either joking or insane, the Z10 is tons more reliable and faster than legacy devices. Try a bb10 device for a couple of days and you'll see what I mean. The Q (either one) offers such speed of communication that you will be gobsmacked.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4633
    I can send an text to my wife 2 button clicks on bb7. Os 10 requires me to type "text wife name" then hit enter...that over 4 times as long. And then to send I have to hit the send button. Bb7 requires two trackpad clicks, Don't event need to look at the screen to do that.

Compose an email? Hit c then the contact name (bb7 auto selects the last email account you used to send email to that contact). Bb10, open hub, click c, select account, then type contact name. Two more steps! Oh wait, maybe I'll use the instant action email, thats should be faster on bb10. But guess what? It doesn't work! It's a huge bug that has been there for almost 6 months!

Call someone on bb7, hold ONE BUTTON on the main screen for speed dial. Bb10, l have to look at the screen to tap the phone, then click on the phone pad, then hold a button. More than 3 times as long.

Hang up a call, bb7, just click the hang up button. Bb10, exit the app I'm using, go back to the phone app, the make sure I'm pressing the end call area of the screen.

Text selection. Trackpad wins hands down.

Calendar entry? Bb7, let me hit "l" from the main screen, find the date, quickly select time from trackpad and type meeting info. Bb10, let me first find the calendar app by swiping around, then let's open it, then we find the date, then we kind of get the time right by touching, then type the subject, then swipe up and down to get the time right, then click save. Way more involved.

Voice to text. Vlingo required holding down the convenience key and you could paste text into ANY text field. Bb10 voice control is abysmal at composing lengthy emails white driving....you can't do it, period.

No BIS for international travel, get ready for a huge data bill.

I could go on and on about why bb10 is literally years behind bb7, but I don't want to exceed the post limit.

Stay away from the new blackberry until they catch up to bb7, unless you really want a better web browser, that's one area where it has improved.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Valdar729; 08-03-13 at 09:49 PM.
    08-03-13 09:13 PM
    If you ever find one buy the best phone ever BlackBerry 9900

Posted via CB10
    08-03-13 10:10 PM
    I can send an text to my wife 2 button clicks on bb7. Os 10 requires me to type "text wife name" then hit enter...that over 4 times as long. And then to send I have to hit the send button. Bb7 requires two trackpad clicks, Don't event need to look at the screen to do that.

Compose an email? Hit c then the contact name (bb7 auto selects the last email account you used to send email to that contact). Bb10, open hub, click c, select account, then type contact name. Two more steps! Oh wait, maybe I'll use the instant action email, thats should be faster on bb10. But guess what? It doesn't work! It's a huge bug that has been there for almost 6 months!

Call someone on bb7, hold ONE BUTTON on the main screen for speed dial. Bb10, l have to look at the screen to tap the phone, then click on the phone pad, then hold a button. More than 3 times as long.

Hang up a call, bb7, just click the hang up button. Bb10, exit the app I'm using, go back to the phone app, the make sure I'm pressing the end call area of the screen.

Text selection. Trackpad wins hands down.

Calendar entry? Bb7, let me hit "l" from the main screen, find the date, quickly select time from trackpad and type meeting info. Bb10, let me first find the calendar app by swiping around, then let's open it, then we find the date, then we kind of get the time right by touching, then type the subject, then swipe up and down to get the time right, then click save. Way more involved.

Voice to text. Vlingo required holding down the convenience key and you could paste text into ANY text field. Bb10 voice control is abysmal at composing lengthy emails white driving....you can't do it, period.

No BIS for international travel, get ready for a huge data bill.

I could go on and on about why bb10 is literally years behind bb7, but I don't want to exceed the post limit.

Stay away from the new blackberry until they catch up to bb7, unless you really want a better web browser, that's one area where it has improved.

Posted via CB10
    Hmm, I really hear what you guys are saying. The problem with the 9900 is autofocus, the inability to load most websites or stream videos (I may be wrong about that). There's no REAL YouTube app, and since I want to switch to one device and am abandoning my iPod Touch I will need the apps to compensate. So, this one will be extremely tricky. The 9900 will be more cost-effective anyway. The problem with the legacy devices is that since so many people have moved towards iOS and Android, keeping in touch with friends or family across the globe (I moved countries) becomes a little difficult (as they no longer have BBM or never had it in the first place). Third party apps never run as smooth as integrated apps on BlackBerry 7 devices, no matter how well designed they are. That's simply a fact. It just feels really odd running WhatsApp on a Bold 9900 - it doesn't match the entire theme, the icon looks "off" and the interface too. But since BBM is coming to iOS and Android that problem may go away. What about a navigator or bus/train app? A free one? Are there any that run smooth? And obviously, SkyDrive. I really want SkyDrive on the device that I'm using.

The Z10 really does seem future proof with NFC and BlackBerry 10.2, but then I lose productivity? Ugh I wish QNX's keypad version had a similar interface to that of BlackBerry OS so that it would still be highly efficient in basic tasks while still holding its command in stuff like web browsing. If someone could comment on what I just said, perhaps proving me wrong, agreeing with me, whatever, it would be highly appreciated - and once again, thanks for all the replies.

~ still undecided.
    08-04-13 06:13 PM
    Dont stop using your 9700. Use the Z10 or Q10 for media and social. And use your 9700 for IM.
    Sorry for double post. I hear what you're saying but I really want to limit myself to one device, because of managing contacts, charging devices, media, messages, the entire issue with physically carrying two phones. I'm just 16 right now, I have school and everything and it becomes highly inconvenient. Also, my Dad won't let me keep two phones xD Thanks though
    08-04-13 06:15 PM
    Ah, third post - sorry. I'm not sure if this is against the forum rules or something but, what about the battery life: 9900 vs Z10. Which one would get me through the day considering I use BBM, email and SMS A LOT I know that with a hybrid OS you could get much better battery like on the 9900 but how good is "much better" compared to the Z10? Thanks again folks
    08-04-13 06:42 PM
46 12