Hey guys,

I am using my Passport SE for years now, but I have a spare one OG left unopened. It should be my Backup once the SE brakes - but so far it's working like day one. I am reading the forums and am aware of the EOL, but also of the extended life support that was just announced. Therefore a very conrete question:

Is it smart to open my sealed PP now, login and install all the apps I want as long as BB Worls is working, or should I relax and wait due to the extende life support?

Thanks!
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-26-19 05:51 AM
    I opened mine recently and loaded apps even though my silver one was working fine.
    Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 06:46 AM
    AFAIK... they haven't extended anything, only clarified what was not being shutdown.

There are some rumors here that BBW won't be shutdown, but that hasn't been confirmed by BlackBerry. Until it's official I'd make plans to utilize what you can, while you can.
    11-26-19 08:25 AM
    I agree with the others. To be prudent I would activate the phone and load any BBWorld apps you want.
    11-26-19 05:47 PM
    I already turned on 17 of my BlackBerry devices (11 are brand new and sealed) that run BB10 and BBOS and spent my entire day off downloading apps and silly games from BlackBerry World.

It is gonna be a paperweight without the app store, and I really hate apps side loading. Most of the apps didn't work for me.
    11-26-19 06:57 PM
    Exactly the same situation. I pulled out that OG, updated the OS, restored my SE backup and proceeding to load any missing stuff from BBWorld.

It's a nice phone, it's meant to be used, not a paperweight

Posted via CB10
    11-26-19 07:23 PM
    Can I use my SE backup to play it on to the OG if I Open it? Or are they not compatible?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 04:15 PM
    Can I use my SE backup to play it on to the OG if I Open it? Or are they not compatible?

Posted via CB10
    As long as both are signed in with the identical BBID it will work fine.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 04:35 PM
    As long as both are signed in with the identical BBID it will work fine.

Posted via CB10
    They will be, cause that way I can access all my apps. If that works, I don't have to open the sealed OG yet, right?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 04:47 PM
    They will be, cause that way I can access all my apps. If that works, I don't have to open the sealed OG yet, right?

Posted via CB10
    Why risk any problems? You could end up, with a sealed paperweight.
    12-03-19 05:11 PM
    I already turned on 17 of my BlackBerry devices (11 are brand new and sealed) that run BB10 and BBOS and spent my entire day off downloading apps and silly games from BlackBerry World.

It is gonna be a paperweight without the app store, and I really hate apps side loading. Most of the apps didn't work for me.
    I'd miss a couple of apps from the app store (including CB), but I could easily use my Bb10 phone for another 7 years with nothing more than the Hub, Remember, Music, Video and Picture apps that come installed with any autoloader. Not that I think I'll get seven more years, but lack of the app store won't be the reason.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-03-19 06:03 PM
    Wondering about the original thread starter question, I'm probalby missing something, but wouldn't you then end up having the same BBID on more than one device? Is that possible?
    12-03-19 07:29 PM
    Is that possible?
    Certainly is possible. I have 2 BB10 devices and my PlayBook all with same BBID.
    WES51 likes this.
    12-03-19 07:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well I can't think of anything that would force you to open it... but why not err on the side of caution and open it anyway? Is there a benefit leaving it sealed?

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 07:51 PM
    Certainly is possible. I have 2 BB10 devices and my PlayBook all with same BBID.
    Except BBM. That is limited to one device at a time.

Posted via CB10
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-03-19 07:53 PM
    Except BBM. That is limited to one device at a time.

Posted via CB10
    Yep -- haven't used BBM in over a year now though.

Posted via CB10
    12-03-19 08:00 PM
    Honestly I'd sell it now if it's still sealed cause you may get more money out of it and then use part of that money towards a used PPSE if you really want one even after 12/31/2019 and you'll still have leftover money.
    12-03-19 08:04 PM
    Actually, you’d want to update that Passport by 12/31/2019 to make sure it’s up to date to communicate properly with the backend servers. I’m not an IT guy but I had to update some old Apple devices recently or risk losing some connectivity. These were EOL iOS devices.

I doubt your sealed OG is running the latest 10.3.3 and while there are the autoloaders, what else is out there needing updates? Forgive my ignorance but, if you’re saving a sealed Passport OG for some other reason, like Beanie Babies in cellophane bags or NASCAR die cast collectibles from 1999-2000 then you’ll probably be real disappointed.
    12-04-19 07:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    You have to open it up and do it soon.
    You can't restore your SE backup to the OG if the OS versions don't match.

Yes you could potentially use autoloader, but not sure if there will be any issues with activation next year.
    Also, BlackBerry Link backup for EVERYTHING is a bit flaky right now. Try it first. You may find it only works if you leave some apps off the list so you'd need to recover that from BBWORLD

Unless you have a buyer lined up willing to pay through the nose for a sealed OG...

Posted via CB10
    12-04-19 03:48 PM
    You can't restore your SE backup to the OG if the OS versions don't match.
    Really?

Posted via CB10
    12-04-19 08:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would get it out and set it up just like you want and then put it back in the box. Like Chuck said why take any chance. Know one knows how long the backend services will stay running. My guess is at least 2 months, but if things get worse for BlackBerry Limited they may shut them at any time.

Working on the business side of Enterprise software, I would guess the plan is for 12-18 months baring a server meltdown issue. My guess is the infrastructure hosting these services are pretty old. I doubt they would spend money to replace any of them if they had a major fault.

BTW, what is the big deal about keeping it sealed? If anything to preserve the phone for long term use you should get it out and cycle the battery.
    Last edited by eshropshire; 12-05-19 at 01:16 AM.
    12-04-19 09:36 PM
    Thanks a lot for your replys. That made me think again about it. Maybe I should open it and get it ready for the future then. My thought was that as long as I use the SE (and in general a Passport), I should leave it sealed, cause if I sell it it might be worth more than opened. But I guess this is a special case where it could end up a brick indeed. Mmh....
    12-05-19 02:39 AM
    Really?

Posted via CB10
    i dont think it happens all the time but yes sometimes different OS versions dont restore correctly but I think it was 10.3 vs 10.2 and not so much 10.3.3 vs 10.3.2 type of thing.
    12-05-19 08:45 AM
    Really?

Posted via CB10
    The device that you are restoring to must be on the same or greater OS for it to work.

Although, I think only Link does that check.
    12-05-19 08:50 AM
    Depending on how long it's been boxed, I'd worry about the battery that's likely been drained to 0 for a long time.

Sure, it will charge back up, but a dead battery just sitting there will lose capacity as it ages with no use. How much depends on who you ask, and maybe it won't be noticeable... but it's something to consider.
    12-05-19 09:40 AM
36 12