Fact of the matter is most folks don't even fully understand what BIS is / was to even say what they'll miss now that portions of it are gone. So please.. share exactly what you're missing out on here, I've found in most cases the folks who respond with an answer are typically incorrect about how BIS helped them, lol.
    Data compression. There are a lot of us that don't view much compressed content such as videos on our phones and the data compression makes a difference when just using email, social apps and surfing the web.

Some of the features of the BlackBerry mail system that allows you to limit the amount of data you use, such as not sending attachments or the full email unless you request them. I was in the USA last March for a week and used $12 worth of data. Neighbors that have other smart phones chew through the $30 roaming data packs in a day or so.

Possibly no social plans on OS10, though this may be figured out later by BlackBerry and the carriers as they currently seem to be able to differentiate BBM video data from regular data.
    02-09-13 07:20 AM
    This Z-10 doesn't feel like it's a "Blackberry" any more without BIS, It's simply another smart phone now. They changed the name and killed everything that set BB's apart from the others.... This will be the last BB I probably buy ever.

-No BIS = no communications when disaster strikes.
    -No PIN to PIN is bull**** I had clients that communicated through it with me that I don't want on my personal bbm.
    -Encryption is gone.
    -Highlighting text is a horror story
    -E-Mails are not real time anymore.

I'm not a hating troll but I'm unhappy that they took the things that separated and made BLACKBERRY and tossed them in the garbage to get a new generation of users. However the question is will the older generation stay after they realize we have been robbed.

R.I.P. RIM (hopefully jim basilie decides to resurrect a divice with pin & bis)
    poomslike likes this.
    02-09-13 10:36 AM
    This Z-10 doesn't feel like it's a "Blackberry" any more without BIS, It's simply another smart phone now. They changed the name and killed everything that set BB's apart from the others.... This will be the last BB I probably buy ever.

-No BIS = no communications when disaster strikes.
    -No PIN to PIN is bull**** I had clients that communicated through it with me that I don't want on my personal bbm.
    -Encryption is gone.
    -Highlighting text is a horror story
    -E-Mails are not real time anymore.

I'm not a hating troll but I'm unhappy that they took the things that separated and made BLACKBERRY and tossed them in the garbage to get a new generation of users. However the question is will the older generation stay after they realize we have been robbed.

R.I.P. RIM (hopefully jim basilie decides to resurrect a divice with pin & bis)
    Just get BES, it will do exactly what you want.
    02-09-13 10:43 AM
    ^ Where do I get that. Fido didn't seem to offer it...
    02-09-13 10:46 AM
    Why not just forward your account to an outlook.com account and have it send as your old account name? iOS and google do nothing different from what can be done on your new bb.
    this i know but apparently there are apps that have come out that have a server that does all the pulling and then pushes the mail to you when it gets it the way BIS did it for legacy devices, atleast this is what i gather but i may have misread it
    02-09-13 10:48 AM
    Well maybe people to specify if they are talking about work or personal email and won't get those type of replies.
    02-09-13 01:04 PM
    I travel internationally very often, I need the data compression when I'm roaming. I was looking forward
    To buying the Z10 but have now changed my mind and will keep the 9900 until a BIS option is available on a new device
    So here's hoping it's not too far away.
    02-09-13 01:26 PM
    Let me help some to understand what BIS is? according to, blah just read it from the original source here
    02-09-13 01:38 PM
    indians a very much happy with that as regular plans are way much cheaper than BIS.....and as for encryption and data compression BES is there for corporate guys !!
    Indians as in us in SE Asia?? I am not happy at all.. With Airtel BIS, I could get unlimited 3G for 399 Rupees (around $8).. for 2GB of 3G in my Android, I pay 449. Not happy
    02-09-13 01:42 PM
    Just get BES, it will do exactly what you want.
    Individual users...non corporate users, can get BES? Do we sign up with our carriers or with BlackBerry directly?

Thank you for any information. The loss of data compression and the @blackberry address is bumming me out.
    02-09-13 06:33 PM
    Individual users...non corporate users, can get BES? Do we sign up with our carriers or with BlackBerry directly?

Thank you for any information. The loss of data compression and the @blackberry address is bumming me out.
    its $45 a month typically to have BES and i think you still need your own server and such running BES. BES is not for a typical consumer at all
    02-09-13 08:36 PM
    For me I'm glad BIS is gone. I'm going to a country where they don't offer BIS which means I wouldn't be able to use my facebook, twitter, and app world without BIS. Now with BB10 I can which I'm super happy about.
    02-09-13 08:47 PM
    My opinion is that BIS had to be eliminated for BB to attract US customers. The monthly cost of BIS here in the US is more than what the carriers charge iPhone and Android users for their data plans, and this is seen as very negative by US buyers. Probably true that not everyone knows exactly what the benefits of BIS are, only that people would not buy a BlackBerry if they had to pay $10 more a month for BIS.

From what I've read here on CrackBerry, BIS is cheaper than other data plans outside the US. The big four carriers have been killing BlackBerry in the US by charging us more.
    02-09-13 09:09 PM
    My opinion is that BIS had to be eliminated for BB to attract US customers. The monthly cost of BIS here in the US is more than what the carriers charge iPhone and Android users for their data plans, and this is seen as very negative by US buyers. Probably true that not everyone knows exactly what the benefits of BIS are, only that people would not buy a BlackBerry if they had to pay $10 more a month for BIS.

From what I've read here on CrackBerry, BIS is cheaper than other data plans outside the US. The big four carriers have been killing BlackBerry in the US by charging us more.
    Actually none of the big 4 carriers in the US added the cost of BIS to their data plans. Data plans for BlackBerry was the exact same as data plans for all other smartphones. Outside the US, it's different.
    howarmat and 00stryder like this.
    02-09-13 09:29 PM
    I'm not sure why there are a lot of people saying that they would prefer to have BIS. I've always viewed BIS as a hindering of email services. Sure, it provided push email for virtually any email address known to man, but it had some serious drawbacks compared to ActiveSync on iOS, Android and Windows Phone.

The constant deal breaker with BIS for me was the 3mb email attachment limit and the inability to sync contacts and calendars for Exchange accounts without having to resort to BES.

Another annoying thing about BIS and the old BlackBerry system was moving emails to folders or removing emails. There was always the option to remove from just the device or remove from the mailbox as well but I always found myself sorting my emails again when I got home because changes on the phone did not reflect on the email server.

Removing BIS is the best possible thing for BlackBerry to do. It puts more power in people's hands when it comes to managing their emails, contacts, and calendars.

As for the data compression, I find that most data plans are more than sufficient for most people. On average most people only use around 500-750 MBs per month, with me around the 1.5 GB mark. I have a 5 GB plan for a really good price and don't see why everyone is losing their minds over the loss of data compression. I'd rather have the performance.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-09-13 09:52 PM
    Actually none of the big 4 carriers in the US added the cost of BIS to their data plans. Data plans for BlackBerry was the exact same as data plans for all other smartphones. Outside the US, it's different.
    Hmmm.... I know for a fact that T-Mobile charges $10 more. Reading here on CrackBerry it seems that BIS was a big negative, people always misunderstanding and thinking the higher data charge was because of RIM, now called BlackBerry, instead of realizing it was the carrier.
    02-09-13 09:55 PM
    Hmmm.... I know for a fact that T-Mobile charges $10 more. Reading here on CrackBerry it seems that BIS was a big negative, people always misunderstanding and thinking the higher data charge was because of RIM, now called BlackBerry, instead of realizing it was the carrier.
    i dont think any of the US carriers charge more for it. Tmobile doesnt either, its $30 for data package same as a galaxy s3. (you can get both on a $20 data plan also if you want too)
    02-09-13 10:09 PM
    Data compression. There are a lot of us that don't view much compressed content such as videos on our phones and the data compression makes a difference when just using email, social apps and surfing the web.

Some of the features of the BlackBerry mail system that allows you to limit the amount of data you use, such as not sending attachments or the full email unless you request them. I was in the USA last March for a week and used $12 worth of data. Neighbors that have other smart phones chew through the $30 roaming data packs in a day or so.

Possibly no social plans on OS10, though this may be figured out later by BlackBerry and the carriers as they currently seem to be able to differentiate BBM video data from regular data.
    Umm, BIS never compressed audio/video...
    02-09-13 10:13 PM
    So, does yahoo email support activesync or whatever so that I still get emails instantly through yahoo?? Push was definitely the best feature of Blackberry. I wish they bring it back in the future...
    02-09-13 10:28 PM
    i dont think any of the US carriers charge more for it. Tmobile doesnt either, its $30 for data package same as a galaxy s3. (you can get both on a $20 data plan also if you want too)
    I have an unlimited BB data plan for $20. Been on it for 8 years. I guess the data plans are different since the last time i was considering switching carriers. But T-Mobile does add $10 for BIS on top of the data plan.

Edit: don't want to post again, so putting it here:

$10 add on for BIS to their 4G monthly plans.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans
    Last edited by TequilaAddict; 02-10-13 at 12:10 AM.
    02-09-13 10:33 PM
    I have an unlimited BB data plan for $20. Been on it for 8 years. I guess the data plans are different since the last time i was considering switching carriers. But T-Mobile does add $10 for BIS on top of the data plan.
    they might have in the past but not currently
    02-09-13 10:56 PM
    WRONG they used to charge you extra but not anymore
    they might have in the past but not currently
    that just started to happen a few months back but they used to charge you extra for blackberry plans, i had an android line which was $15 for 2gb and $20 for BIS with 2GB
    Last edited by ealvnv; 02-09-13 at 11:57 PM.
    02-09-13 11:08 PM
    BIS was always a security problem.
    and this could not go along with the new certification of OS10.
    don't know what I mean? check the news about blackberry/rim in saudi arabia, india, some EU countries.... yes, Rim was forced to open data access to government agencies.

(sim updates and so on..another storry, same direction)

to make a long storry short: if you need a secure infrastructure, don't put your data on a single point of access. setup up your own servers. It is smart, to protect it's own customers.
    02-09-13 11:24 PM
    E-MAILS are way up to 15 minutes.....

BRING BACK PIN TO PIN!!!!

R.I.P. RIM welcome CRAPBERRY......

***** EDIT E-MAILS ARE JUST AS FAST AS EVER**********
    Last edited by BoldBigWorm; 02-10-13 at 12:17 AM.
    02-09-13 11:30 PM
    E-MAILS are way up to 15 minutes.....

BRING BACK PIN TO PIN!!!!

R.I.P. RIM welcome CRAPBERRY......
    Dude seriously? Email is pushed to the device instantaneously what at are you talking about

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    BoldBigWorm likes this.
    02-09-13 11:54 PM
112 1234 ...