Hello, all of you in Crackberry world!

Just a common end-user here, though I do fancy myself a bit of a smartphone enthusiast.

I was just perusing your fine community here, and I found myself becoming quite excited, as so many of you are, for BB10. I've seen the pictures and the videos, read the speculation and the expectations and the wish-lists. And to be honest, BB10 is bringing back feelings in me that I haven't felt since the weeks leading up to my purchase of the original Palm Pre in 2009.

That's when it started for me and smartphones. I was on Sprint (still am - I don't have the means to put device before carrier, unfortunately), barely surviving the Samsung Instinct, when I noticed that beautiful little Palm device in the store.

I carried on quite happily with WebOS for a year and half before the hardware let go on me, and I moved on to Android with the Galaxy S Epic 4G.

And now, as it were, I've moved on to iOS and the iPhone 5, with which I'm far happier than I thought I'd be (the plan was to try out the iPhone, give it the 14 day trial period that Sprint allows, and then exchange it for the Galaxy S III. But alas, the iPhone satisfied my whimsy, and now it is mine until October of 2014.

But enough about me. On to my question:

In October of 2014, I'll be upgrading again. The idea is to change platforms yet again. I've lived (and loved) with WebOS, Android, and iOS. My next venture, therefore, should either be Windows Phone or Blackberry, barring the advent of any new mainstream platforms. But I have one major concern about both Widows Phone and Blackberry: apps. The availability and quality of certain applications is quite important to me.

What is the nature of the app selection for Blackberry? What are some examples of big-name apps that are missing? How much do you think BB10 will change the scope of Blackberry apps? How much change do you project by October 2014?

I know a lot of this can only be the subject of speculation, but I'm rather excited about BB10 from what I've seen of it so far. In fact, it looks like what I've been waiting for since I put my Palm Pre to rest.

Thanks for your input!

- Alex
    01-02-13 01:48 PM
    Yes, sure, maybe, no, depends, etc.
    01-02-13 02:13 PM
    And welcome to Crackberry
    01-02-13 02:13 PM
    Okay, the real answer. Wait until BB10 comes out. Play with it at the store. Make educated decision based on your experience. Lather, rinse, repeat....
    01-02-13 02:16 PM
    Alex,

No one could possibly predict what the next two years will bring, let alone what platform will be right for you. Keep watching, participating, and enjoying the show. Looks to be a good one.
    01-02-13 02:16 PM
    I have to agree with our BigBadWulf. Your upgrade is due to late 2014. That is (almost) two years from now. Nobody knows how things will develop till then. Maybe everyone stopped using Android and iOS and will be on Tizen or Ubuntu OS. Maybe smartphones, as we know them, will be outdated and already replaced by a new kind of device.

BB10 will be a complete "restart" of the whole Blackberry brand, the operating system as well as the user experience. Unlike our previous jumps in terms of OS development, where you could always see how things develop from OS5 over 6 to 7.x or iOS in comparision going from 3 over 4 and 5 to 6. There you always had the known "base" of the OS which gets improved, extended and new features are being added. However with BB10 even all die-hard BB10 fans will start to explore unknown terrain. Sure, there will be many things we Blackberry people loved about our current plattform, which we will find in the new devices. But, as already said, everything has been written from scratch, everything is completely new and unrelated to previous generations applications.
    So it is somewhat hard at this time to tell which way Blackberry is sailing.
    alexweidner likes this.
    01-02-13 02:36 PM