Lots of misinformation in this thread.. some person doesn't even know the difference between internal storage and RAM...makes me wonder if people actually know what othher mobile options are available to them outside the Blackberry field. LOL.
    katesbb, shads77 and Drew808 like this.
    03-06-13 05:01 AM
    Have you even tried a z10 or own one or are you like a ton of those in the US that just trash it without having tried it and based their opinion on experience with BB OS7 devices?
    03-06-13 05:14 AM
    Have you even tried a z10 or own one or are you like a ton of those in the US that just trash it without having tried it and based their opinion on experience with BB OS7 devices?
    Been using a Z10 since ten days before it was officially launched so I do know what I'm talking about and only talking about it after my thorough experience
    03-06-13 05:24 AM
    I think they made the right move long term making their own in house OS with QNX and ensuring the security of their devices. Short term in the two years it would have been easier to go with Android. BB10 OS is just at the beginning of its life cycle and development so it's exciting what they will do next. Regardless its nice to see something different in the marketplace. Hopefully it will be received just as well elsewhere by consumers. If Canada, the UK, Germany, India, UAE, South Africa and Australia are any indication then things are on the right track for BlackBerry going forward.

CB10- z10
    Last edited by R Field; 03-06-13 at 07:27 AM.
    ajaffarali likes this.
    03-06-13 05:33 AM
    All these "BlackBerry should go with Android" whining only shows that the pro-competition, pro-variety, pro-cutomization, Android community is just a myth.

Posted via CB10 on the Z10
    03-06-13 06:07 AM
    No. People who ask this don't get the ramifications of just another Android device. They also don't understand how QNX works and how this is a great OS and Android would have to be rebuilt from scratch to get the same performance/security/stability factor.
    Vorkosigan, shads77 and ajaffarali like this.
    03-06-13 06:11 AM
    That's basically it- I think Android could have helped catapult BlackBerry to number 3 position very easily. With regards to security, the US military has approved a custom version of Android. I think the brains behind BlackBerry could have easily added some extra chip that could have made it the most secure Android phone.
    And how many people are interested in a locked down version of android?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    03-06-13 06:13 AM
    Even if it kills them? Are you happier with BlackBerry now with a much smaller but distinguished market share or would you have been happier if it was the Samsung of today?
    I want a quality device, not a quantity device. BB10 is quality, Android is quality. It's a like a good steakhouse vs McD's.
    03-06-13 06:14 AM
    BB10 is BlackBerry's USP, if they'd gone the Android route they'd be the same as all the other phones out there and I'd still be using my 9790

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 06:21 AM
    In answer to the OP, **** no. Sure Android is great with being able to customise it ie various different roms, skins and launchers. But i find it exhausting keeping up with the latest ROMS, tweaks etc etc. Saying that though i hope BB10 opens up the customisation opportunities for the Z10 or Q10 in the future.

But no just no, im glad BB havent jumped on the Android bandwagon...Android is just far too fragmented with the million and one devices out there. I have an S3 and i like it, dont get me wrong but since having my Z10...i hardly look at my S3 and i havent even updated my wanam lite rom for a good few months now.
    ajaffarali likes this.
    03-06-13 06:50 AM
    I'm with you on that- but what I would like to know is what is it about BB10 that is so compelling to you? Is it just the interface which, I think, could have been replicated on an Android or is it something else that cannot be done on an Android?
    So what you're basically saying is BB should've done all that R&D for new/old feature they wanted in their saviour-series, and then despite having the will and resources to put all that development into their own BB (like they always had), they should've instead put it all into a free-for-all-including-viruses OS? What sense does it make? They've always had their own OS, and continued with the same idea? Both BB10 and Android OS have their USPs, and a user decides which fits his needs better. For me, having used both BB and Android, BB is a clear choice. Likewise, you may prefer Android. No point saying "BB should've been Android based because I prefer Android". As far as what each OS can/cannot do, that's not even an issue for a regular user. There isn't much that 1 particular OS can do and the other can't; there oare trade-offs, BB is way more secure, Android is way more compatible, but that doesn't qualify one to be dissolved into other. Choose what suits you. If you own a BB10 and prefer Android, and find BB restricted, start using Android. Simple. People who prefer BB and find Android lousy will use BB10. Nothing much to be discussed here.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    ajaffarali likes this.
    03-06-13 07:17 AM
    And how many people are interested in a locked down version of android?
    If you go with the market share of Android, I'd say the majority.
    03-06-13 07:30 AM
    I want a quality device, not a quantity device. BB10 is quality, Android is quality. It's a like a good steakhouse vs McD's.
    I think you can do quality with Android- look at HTC's upcoming One.
    03-06-13 07:32 AM
    So what you're basically saying is BB should've done all that R&D for new/old feature they wanted in their saviour-series, and then despite having the will and resources to put all that development into their own BB (like they always had), they should've instead put it all into a free-for-all-including-viruses OS? What sense does it make?
    HTC, Samsung and Sony all make their own skins/UI for their Android phones and I don't buy the "free-for-all-including-viruses OS." While I agree that BlackBerry has been more secure than Android in the past, I also think that if BlackBerry were to switch to Android, they would have put some kind of security/encryption based on software and hardware in their Android devices. Also my argument isn't based on "I prefer Android" - I use an iPhone 5 as my primary device. But simply, WOULD Android have been a better solution for BlackBerry.

Also, I think the best answer would be from people that own a Z10 and not older BB devices as they have lived with the new OS day and night.
    03-06-13 07:40 AM
    If you go with the market share of Android, I'd say the majority.
    Really? I didn't know the secure locked down FIPS version of android was being used by everyone.
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    03-06-13 07:48 AM
    What Blaze said I agree with...
    there are way too many androids out there... and if BB locked down their version it would be horrible .. cause android without customization is like blackberry without BBM..
    could they have made the HUB an app? yah sure.. but then it defeats the whole purpose of always being IN.. it would just be another app you have open and close...

most companies that have android are in the negative.. it's just the EASY way out for most companies.. Make money fast and with the least amount of work as possible.. the fact that android updates take FOREVER to get an android device from a certain manufacturer is ridiculous..

the resource hog that android is not efficient... the fact that android is a monolithic kernel vs QNX's micro kernel make a difference on efficiency and performance and how it handles background processes etc etc..

"A mere copier of nature can never produce anything great. -Joshua Reynolds"
    03-06-13 07:51 AM
    Lots of misinformation in this thread.. some person doesn't even know the difference between internal storage and RAM...makes me wonder if people actually know what othher mobile options are available to them outside the Blackberry field. LOL.
    I had an Android. It had an app storage of 512MB. Was that enough? No. So what are you LOLing about? I'm sure BB10's iOS-like handling of apps is better than being limited to 512MB or 1GB. I know how it works. Stop LOLing.

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 08:09 AM
    I had an Android. It had an app storage of 512MB. Was that enough? No. So what are you LOLing about? I'm sure BB10's iOS-like handling of apps is better than being limited to 512MB or 1GB. I know how it works. Stop LOLing.

Posted via CB10
    512mb? Those are popular android specs from 2 years ago or budget androids costing 100$ unlocked?

Is this what the $600 z10 is competing against?

I say again LOL. Time to update yourself with what blackberry is competing against TODAY.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-06-13 08:16 AM
    That's basically it- I think Android could have helped catapult BlackBerry to number 3 position very easily. With regards to security, the US military has approved a custom version of Android. I think the brains behind BlackBerry could have easily added some extra chip that could have made it the most secure Android phone.
    So you're saying that BlackBerry should adopt the Android OS? Wouldn't that make BlackBerry just ANOTHER phone manufacturer like HTC, Samsung, LG, etc? So NO it wouldn't have catapulted BlackBerry to number 3, it would have been lumped in the same state as HTC, Samsung, and LG. Then the OS war would be between WP8, Android, and IOS.....BlackBerry would no longer be a contender, as it would have Android on it.

So the answer is NO. BlackBerry would now just be another Android phone.
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    03-06-13 08:18 AM
    If you can point me in the direction of an Android phone with an app storage of 16GB, I will LOL with you. Until then, ask yourself who you are. KTHXBYE

Posted via CB10
    03-06-13 08:19 AM
    What Blaze said I agree with...
    there are way too many androids out there... and if BB locked down their version it would be horrible .. cause android without customization is like blackberry without BBM..
    could they have made the HUB an app? yah sure.. but then it defeats the whole purpose of always being IN.. it would just be another app you have open and close...

most companies that have android are in the negative.. it's just the EASY way out for most companies.. Make money fast and with the least amount of work as possible.. the fact that android updates take FOREVER to get an android device from a certain manufacturer is ridiculous..

the resource hog that android is not efficient... the fact that android is a monolithic kernel vs QNX's micro kernel make a difference on efficiency and performance and how it handles background processes etc etc..

"A mere copier of nature can never produce anything great. -Joshua Reynolds"
    Now this is nice- great justifications with valid points to back your opinions.
    03-06-13 08:20 AM
    If you can point me in the direction of an Android phone with an app storage of 16GB, I will LOL with you. Until then, ask yourself who you are. KTHXBYE

Posted via CB10
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Android install apps on storage and only run apps using RAM? So, for example, your Samsung Galaxy S III has 16GB of storage that you can install games on to. Only when your're playing the game, it is loaded in the 1GB RAM that that Galaxy S III has.
    03-06-13 08:23 AM
    That would be ludicrous, and financial suicide for Blackberry.

Android is not profitable for most phone makers...they would have to compete against already well established top-tier Android makers (ex. Samsung).
    They would have nothing to differentiate themselves...the "Android" market is saturated.
    03-06-13 08:47 AM
    Even if it kills them? Are you happier with BlackBerry now with a much smaller but distinguished market share or would you have been happier if it was the Samsung of today?
    It already had a smaller but distinguished market share long before they started developing BB10. There is also absolutely no guarantee that them going android would have garnered them more market share.

Just what do you think there would have been about a BlackBerry with Android that would have catapulted them ahead, or even close to, Samsung? I'll just go ahead and answer that for you, ok? Nothing. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

BlackBerry knew that to stop the deathmarch it was on it needs to breath new life into the brand. Being "just another phone running android" wouldn't have done that.
    03-06-13 08:52 AM
    Absolutely not. Without BB10, BlackBerry would just be another Android hardware manufacturer. They do an alright job with hardware, but they don't have any advantage over a company like HTC, and are extremely disadvantaged when compared to Samsung.

People buy the Z10 for the OS first. I'm happy with the hardware, but it's not cutting edge and not a reason to buy the phone over the GSIII. If you could get an android Z10, there's no reason to buy it over the GSIII because the software is basically the same.

BB10 is what is getting people interested in BBRY again, and was absolutely the right move to make. They just have to keep pushing hard on the top app developers and they will get there.
    ajaffarali likes this.
    03-06-13 09:10 AM
181 1234 ...