Chime in: Should Microsoft build an Android emulator to address the Windows app gap? - Windows Central https://apple.news/AJdUWU3ZUTq24iL9N__cppg
    11-19-17 01:30 PM
    No point to either. Both platforms (BB10 and Microsoft) are dead. Both companies lost billions and have moved on.
    11-19-17 01:31 PM
    If there's one common complaint among the majority of Windows users, particularly Window Mobile users, it's the "app gap," or Windows's lack of mobile, "touch-friendly" applications compared to other platforms, such as Android, iOS, and macOS.
    The problem is a complex one, and it's sort of a "Catch 22;" developers won't invest time and effort in creating great apps if the users aren't there to download (and perhaps pay) for them, but people won't embrace a platform if the apps aren't there. Alas, the app gap.
    During the past few years, countless people have proposed seemingly endless solutions to this significant hurdle Windows faces. More recently, Windows Central forum member Younes Mirzaie created a thread asking whether the solution may be a native Android emulator for Windows and Surface, that would let people run Android apps on their PCs or other Windows devices.

If there's one company that can create flawless emulators, it's Microsoft. They've proven them selves with Xbox 360 on One and Windows 10 on ARM. So why not creating a built-in emulator for android or ask Bluestacks developers to build one for Surface? If this device is a Windows PC then it can easily handle the current Bluestacks app for Windows with no problem. However a built-in version is...

It sounds great, in theory, right? But anyone who has used emulators like this knows they typically sound better than they work. That's because there's a lot going on behind the scenes of apps and device, and it's often difficult or impossible for an emulator to recreate it all. And even if you do, it puts a major strain on system resources. Bluestacks for Windows 10 is one such solution, and it works pretty well, but it requires powerful PC-grade hardware and full Windows to run properly.
    Still, a Microsoft-built Android emulator might be better than nothing, right? And even if it doesn't completely fill in the app gap, it could at least address it in some way.
    What do you think? Should Microsoft build an Android emulator? Or should people who want Android just get an Android device?
    11-19-17 01:40 PM
    BTW that’s what the article says was just published about an hour ago on Windows Central news
    11-19-17 01:45 PM
    The emulator is the least of that issue. As has been discussed on CrackBerry ad nauseum, there are requirements for using an android runtime or emulator that has significant requirements.

Basically building a full and current emulator requires adopting android as an OS. Without that, the emulator would be at some other EOL android build. While this may be an improvement it would be a dwindling improvement.

This is why BB10 has a runtime forever stuck at 4.4 and all new BlackBerry phones are android based.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 02:05 PM
    stuck at 4.4
    11-19-17 02:12 PM
    BTW that’s what the article says was just published about an hour ago on Windows Central news
    Your question is moot. Microsoft has already thrown in the towel. As did BlackBerry with BB10.

Save your energy for something worthwhile.
    11-19-17 03:51 PM
    Your question is moot. Microsoft has already thrown in the towel. As did BlackBerry with BB10.

Save your energy for something worthwhile.
    I just can’t seem to get on the android buzz. To me it’s just the worst OS.
    11-19-17 06:20 PM
    You'll be fine.

Android for aficionados, tinkerers, and customisers.

Apple for out of the box, once size fits all, simplicity.
    Last edited by conite; 11-19-17 at 06:39 PM.
    cwalt2166 and glwerry like this.
    11-19-17 06:23 PM
    No point to either. Both platforms (BB10 and Microsoft) are dead. Both companies lost billions and have moved on.
    Windows 10 Mobile yes, but not Windows 10, which powers PC and tablets, and soon with Windows on ARM, smaller devices too.

Surface tablets are selling well.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-17 01:27 AM
    Chime in: Should Microsoft build an Android emulator to address the Windows app gap? - Windows Central https://apple.news/AJdUWU3ZUTq24iL9N__cppg
    BB10 had it, and it didn't help them much.

What's hurting most all of the "emulators" out there, is Google has wisely changed their Runtime along with making Google Play an important part of most developers apps. It's really not enough to have Android Apps anymore, you need Google Play compatible apps, and that's not something you are legally going to find in an emulator.
    11-20-17 02:15 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile yes, but not Windows 10, which powers PC and tablets, and soon with Windows on ARM, smaller devices too.

Surface tablets are selling well.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft has been very vocal that Windows on ARM is for long battery life products not for phones.
    11-20-17 02:18 PM
    What happened to the BB10.3.4.. update????

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 08:11 AM
    Indeed it is. BB10 is simply the best Os.

Posted via CB10
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    11-21-17 08:12 AM
    As an old IT professional who has had to change operating systems NUMEROUS times over years, YOU CAN SURVIVE THIS.
    Sure, BB10 is more "elegant", exciting, whatever the adjective that floats your boat.
    I really enjoyed my Classic.

I really enjoy my PRIV. There was a period of frustration and there are certain aggravations, BUT I AM SURVIVING, perhaps even FLOURISHING now.

Come to the dark side ....

Plus which, the emulator just is NOT going to fly - there is NO MONEY TO BE MADE and the cost to develop one is huge.
    11-21-17 08:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't wait for it. I've seen other posts where people who are far more in the know than me have suggested that 10.3.3 was late enough that they just rolled the 10.3.4 updates into it.
    11-21-17 08:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    Late 2016. Just be patient.
    11-21-17 08:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    As always...
    Coming sooooon!! 😀
    11-21-17 10:28 AM

Posted via CB10
    Don't listen to all the naysayers. BB is just getting it right and doesn't care to let itself be pushed into meeting only part of their quality commitments. It has to be compatible with all their pre-Android hardware.

You'll see it as soon as 10.3.4 is PlayBook ready. BB promised BB10 on the PlayBook and 10.3.4 is how they'll bring everyone back in the fold.
    11-21-17 10:33 AM
    Microsoft has been very vocal that Windows on ARM is for long battery life products not for phones.
    Microsoft also teased about a small device with phone ability, but not a smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-17 10:52 AM
    Don't listen to all the naysayers. BB is just getting it right and doesn't care to let itself be pushed into meeting only part of their quality commitments. It has to be compatible with all their pre-Android hardware.

You'll see it as soon as 10.3.4 is PlayBook ready. BB promised BB10 on the PlayBook and 10.3.4 is how they'll bring everyone back in the fold.
    Stop teasing people. Some might actually believe you...

Nothing like my SE
    11-21-17 11:31 AM
    Microsoft's only way back into the smartphone business, is to start selling BlackBerry BB10 phones on their website! (and stores).
    11-21-17 12:46 PM
    Microsoft's only way back into the smartphone business, is to start selling BlackBerry BB10 phones on their website! (and stores).
    You really should stop taking drugs.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-22-17 12:07 PM
    You really should stop taking drugs.

Posted via CB10
    You mean I'd have to stop taking my BB10 with me? Gosh the withdrawal to Android and Apple might kill the patient.
    11-22-17 12:51 PM
    I assume you missed the announcement that Microsoft will only provide security and bug fixes in Win10 Mobile and that Windows on ARM is not for phones.
    11-22-17 07:27 PM
33 12