Drop the transparent box and give us these please. I like the smaller squared look. Its different than ios and android yet very clean and neat. The big square ones were just too big, the new ones just dont look right. I think they had it the first time.
    Last edited by playbookster; 12-18-12 at 12:03 AM.
    12-17-12 10:23 PM
    I think these and the new ones look fine. The version after this one was awful. I guess it's really personal opinion.
    12-17-12 10:32 PM
    I guess it just kind of depends on the wallpaper users use for the transparent box.
    12-17-12 10:39 PM
    I also like the icons in the pic above! If anything make the whole icon transparent. Doesn't make sense to have a full color icon with transparency around it..
    12-17-12 10:42 PM
    They can't satisfy everyone. Haha. The problem with not having the grey transparent backdrop is that you may have problems reading the text over certain wallpapers, unless the letters are shadowed.
    12-17-12 10:46 PM
    They can't satisfy everyone. Haha. The problem with not having the grey transparent backdrop is that you may have problems reading the text over certain wallpapers, unless the letters are shadowed.
    a 1pixel stroke or a drop shadow is all that is needed. I never have a problem reading the text on my playbook icons.
    12-17-12 11:06 PM
    Personally, I prefer the look above over the style that have the gradient background to it. Keep it clean. Keep it modern.

It's sort of like what we've tried to do with our forums here... remove/minimize anything in the design that's very repetitive down the page. Putting the gradient background behind each icon, and having it repeat so mean times on the app screen creates a heavy feeling to it, vs. just having the icon + text as in the above.

That said, I don't mind the new ones. Just stil think there's room to improve. The TAT designers have mad skillz.. just let them do their thing. The new look is improved, but feels more like the TAT guys probably trying to fulfill the wish list of long time RIM designers who want to maintain consistency to the experience, vs. just going wild on something totally fresh and different.

All that said, still as excited as ****. And it'll leave us something to look forward to in BlackBerry 10.1 or BlackBerry 11 or whatever comes next
    RocPlayr and johnny_larue like this.
    12-17-12 11:10 PM
    I think we all know what the best option would be: Bring back themes!!
    Qaxl and robkd like this.
    12-17-12 11:13 PM
    Personally, I prefer the look above over the style that have the gradient background to it. Keep it clean. Keep it modern.

It's sort of like what we've tried to do with our forums here... remove/minimize anything in the design that's very repetitive down the page. Putting the gradient background behind each icon, and having it repeat so mean times on the app screen creates a heavy feeling to it, vs. just having the icon + text as in the above.

That said, I don't mind the new ones. Just stil think there's room to improve. The TAT designers have mad skillz.. just let them do their thing. The new look is improved, but feels more like the TAT guys probably trying to fulfill the wish list of long time RIM designers who want to maintain consistency to the experience, vs. just going wild on something totally fresh and different.

All that said, still as excited as ****. And it'll leave us something to look forward to in BlackBerry 10.1 or BlackBerry 11 or whatever comes next
    I think they will surprise us on Jan 30th
    12-17-12 11:14 PM
    I agree with op, the original concept of icons much nicer and cleaner. Also agree with Kevin about how of a heavy feel the new icons have, just to big and over bearing really. Hopefully like the poster above mentioned, having themes available or icon sets would be nice option to have. Make everyone happy in the end.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    12-17-12 11:19 PM
    Yep. Dump the backgrounds.
    12-17-12 11:29 PM
    All they need to do is drop the gradient and I will be more than satisfied. The icons look great! the gradient is simply not needed.
    12-18-12 12:04 AM
    Too bad they can't please everyone
    12-18-12 12:27 AM
    The gradient is there for a reason, think about it. Icons are fine.
    12-18-12 12:29 AM
    I definitely like the original ones best. Wish they would just make Theme Builder 10.
    12-18-12 12:32 AM
    I would like the option to turn on/off the transport squares. I think then almost everyone could be happy with BB10.
    johnny_larue and thp007 like this.
    12-18-12 01:43 AM
    The gradient is there for a reason, think about it. Icons are fine.
    what reason is that?
    12-18-12 07:15 AM
    yes they should go back to the other icons
    i don't like the border on the new icons
    12-18-12 07:59 AM
    This will bring out the armchair designers of the world ...

:-)
    12-18-12 08:00 AM
    I like the shaded background for the very reason of making the icon labels easier to read.

Putting a drop shadow on the text? Depending on how busy the background is, it won't help. A lot of bright/dark high contrast stuff going on back there would all but obliterate the text.

The ultimate solution would be an option to turn them on or off depending on your preference.
    12-18-12 10:17 AM
    You want something fresh,new,unique and different yet when you get it you complain.All these complaints are hilarious all people ever do is want whats currently on other phones they want everything to look like an orange phone to look like the current phones.''This needs to be like this and that'' yet its already out there.How is that new fresh feel you wanted?? Me personally I liked the rectangle box of old simply because it was'nt like the others but they changed.I could care less about icons quite frankly I'll be flowing in and out of apps to even look intensly at icons liek some here.

''We want somethng new'' get it then complain hilarious stuff.The more different this ui is the better it diffrentiates from other phones imo so im cool with this.
    12-18-12 10:44 AM
    I guess some people spend time admiring their smartphone's icons, the look of the phone when it is off, how stylish the BACK of the phone looks and the color of the shell it is wrapped in, but I've never understood why. Round, square, or shaded doesn't even register when I look at the icons, I guess because I'm only looking at them to find the app that I need, not to bask in their aesthetic beauty. When car-shopping, I don't worry over the look of the power window buttons, just that they work when you push them.
    Masahiro likes this.
    12-18-12 08:12 PM
    I guess some people spend time admiring their smartphone's icons, the look of the phone when it is off, how stylish the BACK of the phone looks and the color of the shell it is wrapped in, but I've never understood why. Round, square, or shaded doesn't even register when I look at the icons, I guess because I'm only looking at them to find the app that I need, not to bask in their aesthetic beauty. When car-shopping, I don't worry over the look of the power window buttons, just that they work when you push them.
    It's true. Ideally for me, the time spent looking at the app grid or the housing of the phone should be minimal, compared to being in the hub, looking at a website, actually using an app, etc...
    12-18-12 09:38 PM
    I would like the option to turn on/off the transport squares. I think then almost everyone could be happy with BB10.
    Good point. Let us make the decision!
    12-18-12 10:09 PM
    Good point. Let us make the decision!
    Definitely. Let me choose please
    12-19-12 12:01 AM
31 12