I know we can press and hold the power button on top and then select "Lock" to immediately lock your device. This is very frustrating for many people including me.

Why Blackberry can't include this option like other smartphones do? Many situations that we may want to lock the phone immediately, such as:
    1) quickly away from your desk for a while and don't want to carry your phone, but you want to make sure your phone locked before you leave; yes, press and hold the top power button waste too much time.
    2) when someone show up unexpectedly, and you want your phone locked immediately so that you don't need to worry your phone still unlock.
    3) Just want a quick lock button / shortcut!!!

------------------------------
    Update:07/27/2015 Thanks for everyone's contribution.

Wrong. Theoretically it may take 1 or 2 seconds to password lock the device, but in real world it will take over 3 seconds at least...

Try it yourself. You're not always put your finger on the lock button and fully ready to lock your device. Most of the time you are with an app or doing something, you will have to move your hand up from the center of the screen and press and hold it for a while (don't say only hold it 0.5 seconds, in real world you won't try to time that, you will keep holding it until you see the lock icon shown up), then you move your hand back to the screen again and press the lock icon....The real problem is: it requires your attention to password lock your device instead of just a simple click on the button.

Btw, I am not satisfied with the K key solution as you claimed I do. Although the K key can lock your device, you need to swipe up / exit from app and return to your home screen first. If not, the K key won't work. Why argue so much on this? A simple option in setting will sure make everyone happy.
    Last edited by epee; 07-27-15 at 03:30 PM. Reason: update
    07-21-15 12:05 AM
    On keyboard device hold K on home screen

In Squircle I Trust
    epee, syah iejam, Bauers and 4 others like this.
    07-21-15 12:06 AM
    On keyboard device hold K on home screen
    In Squircle I Trust
    Love you man. At least I can lock my Passport immediately now although I still prefer pressing the power button once to lock the device since the K key is very small.

Thanks for the tip again.
    07-21-15 12:11 AM
    This is your next best bet.

Alas I checked quick settings and other misc settings and BlackBerry world for a "lock button" like bbos days.

Set time out for 1 minute (draw back :more password entries will be requied) but assured device locked after 1 minute idle.

Option 2 have a magnet with you swipe the device passed it and it's "holstered" and locked.

Seriously still NO way to easily lock your blackberry 10 device?-img_20150720_234143.png

In Squircle I Trust
    epee and George_B like this.
    07-21-15 12:44 AM
    Yeah why there is no shortcut to help us lock our gadget for BlackBerry virtual keyboard.
    It is nice and useful to have that. Anyone help to create it?

Posted via CB10
    07-21-15 05:26 AM
    Yeah why there is no shortcut to help us lock our gadget for BlackBerry virtual keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    So many people asking for the lock option...but BB decide not to hear
    07-22-15 12:10 PM
    They isn't even a public API for device locking, it's absolutely daft
    07-22-15 12:26 PM
    Love you man. At least I can lock my Passport immediately now although I still prefer pressing the power button once to lock the device since the K key is very small.

Thanks for the tip again.
    Didn't know this.. Awesome and what ^^^^ said. Lol

#bb4life #TriniAmericanRedPassport
    07-22-15 12:34 PM
    Seriously still NO way to easily lock your blackberry 10 device?-cb.jpg

I think with this option u can lock and unlock it with the power button.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-22-15 12:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    It would take more time and effort to go to the home screen, bring up the virtual keyboard and long press a virtual key. Why would you even think that using the virtual keyboard to lock the device is remotely a good idea when the power button method on all touch BlackBerry devices is infinitely faster and more efficient?

So many people asking for the lock option...but BB decide not to hear
    See above...

Posted via CB10
    der_mit, niss63, chrisru and 1 others like this.
    07-22-15 01:18 PM
    Excuse my ignorance, perhaps I'm not understanding properly but how is a quick push on the power button not fast enough and easy enough to Iock your device? It takes me all of a couple seconds to complete, as the power button is so conveniently located.

Why Blackberry? Because I can!
    Last edited by Sir Reaper; 07-24-15 at 10:30 PM.
    niss63 likes this.
    07-22-15 01:25 PM
    I see what OP is saying. Sure you switch it so the device goes to the lock screen everytime you press the power button on, but the "password" is still solely based on the timeout feature.

Seems weird that the device is "locked", but the password is not being required.

Is there no option to require a password everytime the lock screen is activated? Yes for most people, would be super annoying. But might be th best option for OP.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    epee likes this.
    07-23-15 04:25 PM
    Yeah, the OP didn't specify, but it's about the "password lock". Not the regular screen lock which can be engaged with a simple click of the top lock button.

If you enable the password, you can then set the timeout period to as soon as one minute - the default is a full 30 minutes, but that's still not good if after you lock your phone, a quick unlock before that minute passes provides unfettered access to the phone.

The only way to force it to lock before the timeout period is to hold the lock button down for a few seconds and the lock option will appear on-screen - along with the restart and shutdown options. If there is no password set, then you won't see the lock option.

It's one of the few times I feel like this, but it should be like iOS, if you lock it - and have the password enabled - then it should ask for the password the very next time you unlock it regardless of how much time went by.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33, Remrose and epee like this.
    07-23-15 04:53 PM
    To clarify to people, some here don't understand the difference between a password lock and a screen lock.

A screen lock is simply locking the screen, quick to unlock by either swiping up or pressing power, no password entry required unless the standby timer has passed according to your settings.

Password lock is secure and the full lock. For BlackBerry10 hardware keyboard phones, to quickly lock the phone just hold 'K'. You must then swipe up and enter the password (if you have one set). It also happens after the timer you have set.

Praise be unto our Lord, Squircle | Passport SQW100-1/10.3.2.2339
    bungaboy and epee like this.
    07-23-15 06:31 PM
    Yeah this feature has been around forever on both ios and android.. and I'm sure it takes a maximum of 3 lines of code to implement. They choose not to for some reason.

Posted via CB10
    epee likes this.
    07-23-15 06:48 PM
    It takes 2-3 seconds to press / hold the power button and then tap the lock screen icon.

That's too long?

Really?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 06:58 PM
    It takes 2-3 seconds to press / hold the power button and then tap the lock screen icon.

That's too long?

Really?

Posted via CB10
    Unfortunately, some people these days have 0 patience. Everybody these days seem to be in such a hurry that 2 seconds is too long.

The human race is becoming all about ME. Sad times.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    07-23-15 07:38 PM
    You used to be able to change the setting on the button between the volume. How do you do that again?

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 07:47 PM
    You used to be able to change the setting on the button between the volume. How do you do that again?

Posted via CB10
    This was never possible as far as I know. It's only for controlling music and the BlackBerry assistant.
    Though many have asked for this option.
    07-23-15 08:09 PM

That's too long?

Really?

Posted via CB10
    Op needs a faster way, lol 2 second are too long

Op please let the mods remove this thread, you're making a joke out of yourself

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    07-23-15 08:49 PM
    I use a Stilgut case. Flip the lid locked, simple and quick!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-15 08:52 PM
    Unfortunately, some people these days have 0 patience. Everybody these days seem to be in such a hurry that 2 seconds is too long.

The human race is becoming all about ME. Sad times.

Posted via CB10 - Z10 'Powered by BlackBerry'
    I don't personally use the password, it's nice to just click the lock button while putting the phone down, or in my pocket.

But for those that do use the password, it does mean an extra step to stop and look at the screen to make sure you're clicking the right spot on the screen. And, remember, that's for the all touch phones. Not everyone has a pkb BlackBerry. And when every other device maker has no problem password locking immediately, it makes you wonder why BlackBerry has a timeout option at all.

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 and epee like this.
    07-23-15 09:44 PM
    I can understand why people think this is a silly problem to have. But personally I think OP is right that a faster way is needed.

Yes, 3 seconds is nothing. But it's more of a coordination thing. Why two clicks when only one is needed? I don't think any convoluted shortcut is needed for touchscreen users. Just either give a timeout option that is "as soon as screen is locked", this would solve everything. Or use the mute button that is between the volume buttons. I don't think I've ever used that button!

Personally, I've also wondered about the situations where I needed to password lock my phone, but without letting people see, or when you can't see. Like if you were just on your phone, had put it down, and someone asks to check out your model of phone. You could hand it over while casually tapping the lock button, knowing it's now secure. Instead of picking it up, stalling while you hold the power button, tap the lock, then hand it over. Making it fairly blatant you just locked your phone before handing it over because you don't trust them. Stuff like that.

Anyways, personally I'd hope they add this option in the future.

Posted via CB10 on Z30
    Supa_Fly1 and epee like this.
    07-23-15 10:24 PM
    Just need virtual button to lock or screen off.
    When use non keyboard BlackBerry it is very useful and make it nice.
    IOS and Android have it since long ago.
    Or maybe it will make security hole?

Posted via CB10
    epee likes this.
    07-23-15 11:43 PM
    Op needs a faster way, lol 2 second are too long

Op please let the mods remove this thread, you're making a joke out of yourself

 CB10 - Q10 - 10.3.2.680 
    OP got his problem solved from first reply in thread.

Posted with my  Classic
    07-24-15 12:17 AM
87 123 ...