I have the Appstore since before it was blessed. That is not enough. BlackBerry themselves have to push for the Android publishers to put their apps there.

And Snap and the others getting the apps not straight from the publisher are not the same as Amazon.
    Developers aren't interested. Microsoft has more market share, and dishes out truckloads of cash to developers, and its ecosystem is still no better than BlackBerry's.

What are you suggesting that BlackBerry hasn't already tried or thought of?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    06-15-15 05:58 AM
    There are apps and apps.
    Buying Apps is not the answer to everything :-)
    06-15-15 07:18 AM
    I know we are aware, but I don't know much about any significant efforts by BlackBerry to get Android publishers to distribute their apps also for BB10.
    And you haven't noticed all the news in the last week about a BlackBerry Android phone? Them apps sure seem to be business critical...

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 08:06 AM
    It might help if you were more specific about what app you want. Given the capability of the phone there are very few if any that you can't have. Amazon, snap, Aptoide, BBW, just how many app stores do you want to choose from.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    06-15-15 08:50 AM
    It might help if you were more specific about what app you want. Given the capability of the phone there are very few if any that you can't have. Amazon, snap, Aptoide, BBW, just how many app stores do you want to choose from.
    The OP has made it clear he is not looking for a solution or help from the community; just felt the need to point out what s/he sees as a lack. There is no point in offering alternatives.
    06-15-15 09:14 AM
    MSN news? I didn't even know that existed/was still going. It doesn't matter how much choice we have, it's still not as good as true Android for apps.

It's great having access to Amazon, but some apps (most recently Snapchat) simply don't function without Google Play services. I understand some apps can be patched to work without them, but if I was a new user coming to this platform, the last thing I would want to hear is that you have to mess about with apps just to get them running, when on other devices they work perfectly.

The app situation can't be fully blamed on BlackBerry. The company tried before the launch to get developers on board, and it has tried up until recently with native apps. It doesn't matter that we have access to large app stores, every other phone has that too. The fact we don't have individual apps e.g. Snapchat is what turns people away from BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-15 09:21 AM
    I have the Appstore since before it was blessed. That is not enough. BlackBerry themselves have to push for the Android publishers to put their apps there.

And Snap and the others getting the apps not straight from the publisher are not the same as Amazon.
    Stop the whinging already. We all acknowledge your deep and profound suffering.
    06-15-15 09:22 AM
    What big major mainstream lying media sites are missing exactly that you need your government talking points fed to you through an app?
    06-15-15 09:27 AM
    Let me tell you something. Things doesn't happen just because someone's want it to. You aren't pointing something BlackBerry didn't realize. It's not like, John Chen will woke up one morning, and then he'll realize we don't have those native news apps, and will pick up the phone, and all those developers will make the natives apps he want. In business it's a little more complicated than that, and I think everyone here has made that clear.
    If they aren't there, it's because they couldn't make it happen. We all can cry all we want, but won't change a thing. We have to suck it up, and enjoy the other 90% of awesomeness of our devices.
    On the other hand, if you were asking for a solution, the community here gave you a lot of solutions.
    06-15-15 09:34 AM
    What are apps? :blushes:

Sent from a BlackBerry Z30
    06-15-15 11:42 AM
    Let me tell you something. Things doesn't happen just because someone's want it to. You aren't pointing something BlackBerry didn't realize. It's not like, John Chen will woke up one morning, and then he'll realize we don't have those native news apps, and will pick up the phone, and all those developers will make the natives apps he want. In business it's a little more complicated than that, and I think everyone here has made that clear.
    If they aren't there, it's because they couldn't make it happen. We all can cry all we want, but won't change a thing. We have to suck it up, and enjoy the other 90% of awesomeness of our devices.
    On the other hand, if you were asking for a solution, the community here gave you a lot of solutions.
    The problem is in the past.... it is a problem that BlackBerry should have been working on before the PlayBook was even shipped! At this point the BlackBerry ecosystem is on life support at best, which is one reason it doesn't make sense to have your own OS anyway.

Many of us as consumers can get what we need using Cobalt's "hack". But it means nothing to long term sales or the business users.

So you either "settle" for what BlackBerry offers are you move on.....
    06-15-15 11:50 AM
    What happened to just buying a paper eh?
    Do you realise that you cannot get the �ber-overwelmingly vast majority of the day's papers delivered to you early in the morning?
    06-15-15 11:50 AM
    Developers aren't interested. Microsoft has more market share, and dishes out truckloads of cash to developers, and its ecosystem is still no better than BlackBerry's.

What are you suggesting that BlackBerry hasn't already tried or thought of?

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    You're talking about developing platform-specific apps. I am talking about officially distributing already made Android apps in places other than the Play Store.

An effort must also be made also in driving away developers from gratuitously using non portable Android APIs.

When did BlackBerry ever talk concretely about bringing more Android apps to the Amazon Appstore?
    06-15-15 11:54 AM
    Buying Apps is not the answer to everything :-)
    When you subscribe to a newspaper or a journal you don't buy an app, it is one part of their delivery channels.
    06-15-15 11:55 AM
    And you haven't noticed all the news in the last week about a BlackBerry Android phone? Them apps sure seem to be business critical...

Posted via CB10
    I don't care about an Android BlackBerry in the same way I don't care about a Windows Mac.
    06-15-15 11:57 AM
    What big major mainstream lying media sites are missing exactly that you need your government talking points fed to you through an app?
    Maybe that's true of the media in your country if you're limiting yourself to it.
    06-15-15 11:58 AM
    You're talking about developing platform-specific apps. I am talking about officially distributing already made Android apps in places other than the Play Store.

An effort must also be made also in driving away developers from gratuitously using non portable Android APIs.

When did BlackBerry ever talk concretely about bringing more Android apps to the Amazon Appstore?
    They made that effort already.

Netflix is a prime example. BlackBerry pounded them for almost two years to bring their already working Android app to appworld. They simply weren't interested. It would have taken them 30 minutes to do it. They just did not want to have to support the app for such a small user base.

Repeat this exact scenario for countless other businesses and developers.

BlackBerry spent millions and sent people around the world begging and pleading.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    ubizmo likes this.
    06-15-15 12:08 PM
    They made that effort already.

Netflix is a prime example. BlackBerry pounded them for almost two years to bring their already working Android app to appworld. They simply weren't interested. It would have taken them 30 minutes to do it. They just did not want to have to support the app for such a small user base.

Repeat this exact scenario for countless other businesses and developers.

BlackBerry spent millions and sent people around the world begging and pleading.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2204
    Besides that most of that sounds rather vague, the effort must not stop. Otherwise, the platform makes no sense.
    06-15-15 12:15 PM
    Do you realise that you cannot get the �ber-overwelmingly vast majority of the day's papers delivered to you early in the morning?
    I may be a child of the 80s but I'm not stuck there. Well maybe a bit.

For mobile news, I personally consume via my Twitter feed. I self-editorialise (from the uber-overwhelmingly vast majority of rubbish) what ends up in my timeline, and I click into browser. Sometimes, I watch the news on tv; often, I listen to the radio in the car. Amazing technology.

If you're after a broadsheet newspaper-esque experience which many news apps offer, I'd offer the advice to use a tablet, android or apple. That is its natural medium. And also to leave your phone at home occasionally. It's good for your survival skills.
    BSar likes this.
    06-15-15 12:47 PM
    Besides that most of that sounds rather vague, the effort must not stop. Otherwise, the platform makes no sense.
    If you run a business, or have even an inkling of how a business is suppose to run, then you must realize that you can throw good money after bad for only so long before you realize that you may lose it all over nothing.

And that's what was happening.

Nothing.

Once you realize that you can't get blood from a stone, it's time to set your priorities elsewhere.

You could always contact those app developers yourself and ask them for a native BlackBerry app. Then sit back as crazed laughter ensues.

But, hey, at least we got the USA Today, and the E! app.

Posted via CB10
    ubizmo likes this.
    06-15-15 05:52 PM
    Companies that make free apps to access their own services (media outlets, banks, and so on) care about only one thing right now:

"How many of our users or potential users have this platform and is that enough to justify the support cost".

That's it. Nothing else BB can say or do matters now.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    06-15-15 06:12 PM
    I am not asking for community help. I am pointing out an obvious problem BlackBerry needs to pay attention to.
    In other words...

But hey, carry on.
    06-15-15 07:24 PM
    Why are you complaining to BlackBerry about missing apps for your favorite newspaper ? Complain to the newspaper publisher, they are the ones that should create and provide the application, not BB.
    06-16-15 02:49 AM
    I'm pretty sure that John Chen has heard the message loud and clear. That's why he's sacrificing BB10 and coming out with an Android flagship device around the end of the year.
    Amazing how "alleged rumoured devices" suddenly become "100% confirmed facts with a press release announcing" on CrackBerry.com ;-)
    06-16-15 07:43 AM
    So - I'm not a guy who typically takes the stance of "apps aren't necessary when you have a good browser", but I find most newspapers in 2015 have very good, very mobile friendly websites. I don't download a lot of newspaper apps for that reason ... on any of my devices. A lot of my news is first sent to me via twitter, which then links back to a mobile website link, not an app.
    techvisor likes this.
    06-16-15 07:45 AM
65 123