I love my Z10. It is an awesome phone. I want BlackBerry to do well. But I'm worried now about the self fulfilling prophecy phenomenon.
    BlackBerry tried to reinvent itself and it has done well. But not enough people know. And now with less than stellar sales and tanking stock will developers make apps for BB10? Will consumers now just see BlackBerry as a has-been? Will those considering BlackBerry now ignore it?
    BlackBerry has a phenomenal product. BlackBerry needs to do something fast and well or I fear we will see a slow death.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 05:45 PM
    Unfortunately, too much of the old management remains at RIM / BB - late delivery, poor execution, excessive secretiveness, inconsistent messaging.

All this adds up to a company that is not up to the task of resurrecting itself. RIM is doomed to become either a niche player or a target of vultures picking over its bones. RIM still has cash but is burning through it now and for the foreseeable future.
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    06-28-13 05:59 PM
    My understanding is that their cash reserves are up?

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-28-13 06:18 PM
    sadly it's not on their DNA to do anything fast... the c-suite needs to get replaced asap these guys has no proven record in tech. or innovation.

Hire new blood and take your chances that way.
    No proven record in tech or innovation? Where do you think usb charging on a mobile device came from and was first deployed, that among things, please do research before leaving garbage like that on this forum.

Posted via CB10
    RonBHolmes2nd and russworman like this.
    06-28-13 06:20 PM

Posted via CB10
    Exactly, 6 months and roughly 4 million bb10 devices sold is not that bad for a new os, the real numbers will be when the q10 and q5 are fully deployed with the a10 announced.

Posted via CB10
    06-28-13 06:22 PM
    Unfortunately, too much of the old management remains at RIM / BB - late delivery, poor execution, excessive secretiveness, inconsistent messaging.

All this adds up to a company that is not up to the task of resurrecting itself. RIM is doomed to become either a niche player or a target of vultures picking over its bones. RIM still has cash but is burning through it now and for the foreseeable future.
    I agree. A real wind of change is needed and it is now clear BlackBerry has not changed enough.

Sad.....

Using a BlackBerry Z10
    sonic_reducer likes this.
    06-28-13 06:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    It depends on how you get the cash. It wasn't from profits since the company lost money, so where did it come from? Was it from a debt issue, sales of more shares or sales of assets? My thoughts tend to be directed towards the latter.

Selling off assets does get you cash but leaves you with a diminished company and you can only go to that bank so often. My question would be what was sold off and how much of that cash has been used up already?

This almost looks like accounting tricks � la Nortel. Not good.
    06-29-13 11:38 PM
    Exactly, 6 months and roughly 4 million bb10 devices sold is not that bad for a new os, the real numbers will be when the q10 and q5 are fully deployed with the a10 announced.

Posted via CB10
    I agree and really think that the A10 will be the game changer for BlackBerry... plenty of features coming in 10.2 and I would guess it will coincide with the A10 to make a big splash. The important thing now is that they are making a decent profit on every phone sold... especially compared to the OS7 devices

Posted via CB10
    06-29-13 11:45 PM
    RIM still has cash but is burning through it now and for the foreseeable future.
    Yes. At the current rate, they will run out of cash in 2022.
    06-30-13 05:37 AM
    Yes. At the current rate, they will run out of cash in 2022.
    That is assuming they can keep up the sales at the current level. Sales are lower than this time last year and Q10 / Z10 sales are not making up for lost customers with older devices that are replacing them. That means that losses will accelerate unless RIM can come up with some wow products. I doubt that will occur if RIM restricts itself to 6 products or less. Things are not looking much better on the services side. Margins are getting squeezed and RIM itself admits the market is very competitive (a sign of a maturing market).

RIM may not run out of cash in the next year, but without a viable business, there is nothing in it for investors.

RIM's best solution if it is to remain an independant company is to go private. It is already behaving like a private company anyway with excessive secrecy and poor investor relations. That will free them to go in whatever direction they want and will allow them to fix what is broken.
    06-30-13 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD