Excellent news for us BlackBerry followers and supporters. Question: can non BES BlackBerry users expect to see secusmart coming to our devices as a feature / a service we can buy?

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:34 PM
    I doubt it. Secusmart us for users willing to pay a premium for security.

I really wish BlackBerry would some of the security features migrate to some easy-to-use and affordable consumer features, but with the enterprise focus it is not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:36 PM
    Sec u smart as premium feature/ add on could generate significant income for BlackBerry. Even from users of other devices.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 12:49 PM
    The Secusmart solution isn't for 'consumers' however, what BlackBerry expands their technology to could end up as consumer products. As it stands right now, right this very second, it's an Enterprise play, which is BlackBerry's current agenda anyway.
    07-29-14 12:57 PM
    From what I understand, the main implementation involves the use of a micro-chipped sd card for communicating with other similarly equipped devices. Not cheap I'm sure.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-29-14 01:09 PM
    I doubt it. Secusmart us for users willing to pay a premium for security.

I really wish BlackBerry would some of the security features migrate to some easy-to-use and affordable consumer features, but with the enterprise focus it is not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    This is like wishing Ferrari would migrate some of their super car technology to some easy to drive affordable car. It happens over time, but don't hold your breath.

Cutting edge security is for protecting against cutting edge threats. It doesn't come cheap.

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm and Ay sini like this.
    07-29-14 01:26 PM
    Future will tell, but why not security for everyone? There is a way and there is historical similarities:
    50+ years ago, computers were only for big corporations, and governments, but today almost everyone has a computer more powerful than those in these days.

I think that this can be game changer for security for all. Secusmart use Elliptical Curve Cryphographic Algorithm, the best modern mathematical science knows. It's not a Secusmart's invention! Implementation is. Layered micro SD card is a technological solution used by Secusmart, but at the end it's a chip (IC). If you produce a chip (IC) in small quantities it cannot be cheap, but for mass production the prices will go down dramatically.

What I think BB can do is to add this in every phone BB makes and that will offer to all of us security Angela Merkel enjoys.

If BlackBerry smartly use this acquisition this can be a new era in consumer teleco industry.
    (Just one remark: basically Secusmart uses IP telephony - not G2/G3/LTE ... so Mobile operators can lose a lot with this if it becomes way of phone communication, so this is also the question where the technology will guide us - Maybe Mobile operators will become just WiFi providers for our devices in 20 years from now!?).

There is just one obstacle, the time, BlackBerry needs to be fast with this! Because today chips production is easy and cheap and ECC algorithm is well known to everyone so costs nothing.
    07-29-14 02:31 PM
    Future will tell, but why not security for everyone? There is a way and there is historical similarities:
    50+ years ago, computers were only for big corporations, and governments, but today almost everyone has a computer more powerful than those in these days.

I think that this can be game changer for security for all. Secusmart use Elliptical Curve Cryptography Algorithm, the best modern mathematical science knows. It's not a Secusmart's invention! Implementation is. Layered micro SD card is a technological solution used by Secusmart, but at the end it's a chip (IC). If you produce a chip (IC) in small quantities it cannot be cheap, but for mass production the prices will go down dramatically.

What I think BB can do is to add this in every phone BB makes and that will offer to all of us security Angela Merkel enjoys.

If BlackBerry smartly use this acquisition this can be a new era in consumer teleco industry.
    (Just one remark: basically Secusmart uses IP telephony - not G2/G3/LTE ... so Mobile operators can lose a lot with this if it becomes way of phone communication, so this is also the question where the technology will guide us - Maybe Mobile operators will become just WiFi providers for our devices in 20 years from now!?).

There is just one obstacle, the time, BlackBerry needs to be fast with this! Because today chips production is easy and cheap and ECC algorithm is well known to everyone so costs nothing.
    Exactly! This could be an amazing opportunity for BlackBerry if they can make this available to a broader audience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-29-14 02:41 PM
    Exactly! This could be an amazing opportunity for BlackBerry if they can make this available to a broader audience.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Maybe. Although most people haven't flocked to BlackBerry for the security it already offers. This will just enhance its appeal to the segment that already cares about this stuff and generally still uses BlackBerry.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    07-29-14 03:16 PM
    Would be a nice feature to have added in as a software option (as someone suggested earlier in the email) and allow users to buy a subscription. Thanks for all you comments.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:11 AM
    You can already subscribe to Secuvoice as a non-enterprise, non-government consumer user.. The difference is that you get a commercial smart card (vs German gov't crypto card) and you use Secusmart's servers in Germany vs government servers.. Info I have says consumer pricing is comparable to competing consumer-level secure voice solutions (the German government enterprise solution is somewhat more expensive)..

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 08:22 PM
    There was a mention of bringing it to BlackBerry voice

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:25 PM
    I have to agree with most posters: For us consumers there won't be any new benefits of that deal, at least not on the short- or even middle-term.
    For enterprise or better said the new targeted prosumers however I. think we'll start seeing new solutions and features later this year, maybe early next year.

While it would be nice to offer more secure, premium services to individual consumers, I doubt it is going to happen any time soon. Maybe once they've set everything up and running for the enterprises.

Double-typed and posted with a BlackBerry Q10.
    07-31-14 12:01 AM
    From what I understand, the main implementation involves the use of a micro-chipped sd card for communicating with other similarly equipped devices. Not cheap I'm sure.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.296
    Not cheap at all. My understanding is that a BB10 device with the Secusmart treatment costs about $2,000...
    07-31-14 12:08 AM
    It is 2000? not $ for chip, so quite expensive to encrypt your kinky conversations with wife )

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:09 AM
    2000 Euro, crackberry changed euro symbol to question mark.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 02:09 AM