Hi, I've just replaced my 9 y old 9700 with a Passport. My service provider told me since I switched to OS 10.3 I won't be needing the additional BlackBerry Package I was using. And more or less explained why and left me with the conclusion that the new OS is less secure than the one handled by RIM earlier. Can you, please, explain? Thanks a lot!
    04-26-18 09:45 AM
    Hi, I've just replaced my 9 y old 9700 with a Passport. My service provider told me since I switched to OS 10.3 I won't be needing the additional BlackBerry Package I was using. And more or less explained why and left me with the conclusion that the new OS is less secure than the one handled by RIM earlier. Can you, please, explain? Thanks a lot!
    The pre-BB10 system required BIS, which routed all email and Web traffic through BlackBerry servers.

Carriers have rejected this added expense, readily available bandwidth no longer requires it, and IMAP and Exchange technology don't need it to push email.

Security is not an issue. BBOS hasn't been patched for vulnerabilities in years, and BB10 is relatively up to date.
    04-26-18 10:10 AM
    With post-BBOS devices (BB10, Android, iOS) network traffic isn't routed through BlackBerry Internet Service, since networks and infrastructure have evolved to the point where it isn't needed anymore.

On the point of device security, the Bold 9700 hasn't seen an update since 2013, so all bugs and security holes since then are set in stone. As moribund as BB10 is, its last update was a few weeks ago, fixing a handful of security issues (including one that has a 99.9% chance of being on your old Bold and a 100% chance of remaining unpatched on BBOS devices).
    04-26-18 10:17 AM
    Thank you so much. But isn't it a security issue now when the traffic is not being routed through the BlackBerry servers?
    04-26-18 10:48 AM
    Thank you so much. But isn't it a security issue now when the traffic is not being routed through the BlackBerry servers?
    Doesn't matter.
    04-26-18 11:12 AM
    I see, thank you very much!
    04-26-18 11:23 AM
    Well done on the Passport. Big step up from the 9700, hope it works well for you.
    04-26-18 04:44 PM
    I hope so, thank you. I just posted a new question though because I have troubles adding my yahoo accounts to the device :-(
    04-27-18 10:30 AM
    @conite I realized that my mobile company (vodafone ES) removed the services in september 2017, my passport still works the same, because I look now in my electronic invoice, it used to appear "blackberry services" 15€ and then 100% discount of it, so free services.
    04-28-18 05:04 AM
    Enjoy the Passport life style!

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    04-28-18 06:05 AM
    @conite I realized that my mobile company (vodafone ES) removed the services in september 2017, my passport still works the same, because I look now in my electronic invoice, it used to appear "blackberry services" 15€ and then 100% discount of it, so free services.
    BB10 doesn't use BIS.
    Mauri5io likes this.
    04-28-18 06:55 AM
    BB10 doesn't use BIS.
    Yes, but some carriers keep listing BlackBerry services on invoices regardless of that, but they aren't charging anything so it's a meaningless mention. But tell that to carriers...

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    04-28-18 04:57 PM
    My very first blackberry phone was bold 9780 (then 9790 "I loved it", curve 9360 "I hated it", torch 9810 "loved it") and I think, since then, they forgot to remove the services when I changed to Classic and then to Passport AT&T version.
    04-29-18 05:10 AM
    BB10 doesn't use BIS.
    BB10 may use a full BIS account, but does not need a BIS account.

https://crackberry.com/no-you-dont-n...erry-10-phones
    04-29-18 08:07 AM
    BB10 may use a full BIS account, but does not need a BIS account.

https://crackberry.com/no-you-dont-n...erry-10-phones
    The question wasn't answered whether all the traffic gets routed through the BlackBerry NOC or not. I don't believe it does.
    04-29-18 10:38 AM
    The question wasn't answered whether all the traffic gets routed through the BlackBerry NOC or not. I don't believe it does.
    That is relatively easy to test. When I had a Bell BIS account it did.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.3216
    04-29-18 10:50 AM
    That is relatively easy to test. When I had a Bell BIS account it did.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.3216
    One of the reasons why BIS was scrapped was because it couldn't come even close to handling the bandwidth required by a modern smartphone. Are you absolutely certain your traffic was pushed through the NOC? It would have been dreadfully slow.
    04-29-18 10:55 AM
    One of the reasons why BIS was scrapped was because it couldn't come even close to handling the bandwidth required by a modern smartphone. Are you absolutely certain your traffic was pushed through the NOC? It would have been dreadfully slow.
    Yes I am.

Like all network performance issues the bandwidth of underlying technology is only one factor in determining performance. One example of this is the easily observable degradation of web performance due to the increasing instrumentation, tracking and advertising which cause browsers to open multiple connections which end up going through multiple redirections.

BIS was specifically engineered to give superior performance and efficiency under fairly restrictive conditions. You are correct in that, even before BB10 was released these restrictions we incompatible with the way many people were using smartphones; and this was one of the reasons some carriers decided not to offer BIS plans to BB10 users.

On the other hand there were users who were net better served by BIS than a "standard" data plan, and carriers (Bell Canada for example) who initially would only service BB10 phones on BIS plans. One of my concerns was that I was being charged for a BIS plan, but not actually receiving the benefits of a BIS connection so I regularly ran tests. There are still performant features that the BIS/BIS-B/BES plans made available that a carrier connection to the internet can not match.
    04-29-18 01:54 PM
    The only thing I miss about BIS is my @blackberry.net email address that came with it. That was a great privacy feature, because only BlackBerry, not the usual webmail providers were privy to the messages. Also, the email was only accessible from the handset, not from a computer terminal.
    04-29-18 07:44 PM