Title says it all...

Some browsers save passwords in unencrypted, plain text format and it isn't safe at all. Since the BlackBerry Browser doesn't utilize a master password, I'm wondering how safe/robust it is to allow it to store cookies and credentials for auto-fill purposes.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228 TMO US
    05-03-14 07:46 PM
    Title says it all...

Some browsers save passwords in unencrypted, plain text format and it isn't safe at all. Since the BlackBerry Browser doesn't utilize a master password, I'm wondering how safe/robust it is to allow it to store cookies and credentials for auto-fill purposes.

Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks!

-STV on Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2228 TMO US
    I'm going to make an assumption that the browser stores that information in its local data storage. In that case any data stored would be as secure as one user's data is from an other user in a multi-user Posix system. Each application is installed with its own UID and GID. Local application storage is only accessible to the application UID and GID and of course system processes.

If one could root the device, or mount the file system directly on another system where one already had administrator privileges the information would be compromised. As far as I know neither has been done.

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 08:51 PM
    Browser security is very different than platform security.. Blackberry has very good platform security, but the BlackBerry browser is Webkit.. There is nothing very special about it as far as security.. If you could craft an attack that could fool Webkit into exposing cookies, etc, it would likely work against this browser as well..

Posted via CB10
    05-03-14 10:21 PM
    Sorry for re-upping an old thread, but it's important...

Mr. Michael Clewely on Twitter confirmed to me that the BlackBerry 10 Browser stores saved credentials securely.

-STV on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3247 TMO US
    SharonRD and GSM-S like this.
    09-13-14 02:23 PM
    Developers have yet to be able to access even bookmarks for the purpose of backing up/syncing. I can't imagine that accessing anytime else about the browser is as simple as "reading a clear text file".

Posted via CB10
    09-13-14 02:50 PM
    It's not secure if you leave it open and show it to everyone.....otherwise...very secure...

CrackBerry Genius on Verizon Z10 on 10.3.0.1154
    09-13-14 07:41 PM