I am, as most folks should be, concerned with what information entities can pry from my BlackBerry.

In finding ways to do this on my BB10 Z10 I found it initially lacking in the area of security. Specifically the
    ability to password protect and/or block any installation of apps, change add or delete accounts or purchase anything via BlackBerry World.

First I encrypted the device. I did not encrypt the SD card. I do not keep anything sensitive on the SD card.

I use password protection as well. I do not make use of the image unlock function, just good old plain password.
    Limited attempts to 5.

I then went with a VPN. This is a major good thing to have. With the reports of bogus cell phone towers and the ever present hacker sitting in your favorite Wifi hotspot this will help stop or slow them down.

I then could not find a way to do the rest. As in stop the purchase and/or install of apps, prevent the deletion, addition or modification of any account etc.

Then I found the "Parental Control (PC)".

(System Settings>Security and Privacy>Parental Controls)

In there were the remaining items I needed to lock down my Berry.

I turned off:
    Email Account Setup
    Purchase Content
    Install Application
    Remove Application

It's easy..really.
    Turn it on.
    Set the password.
    Choose what you want to have or not allow to happen.

When you turn on Parental Controls the wall paper and icon/app placement will change.
    You can now choose different wallpapers and icon/app layouts for when either the Parental Controls are on and when they are off.

I put something in the "locked down" (Parental Controls are on) wallpaper to show it is active.

Locked Down Wallpaper (PC On)
    Securing my BB10 from enemies. Foreign or domestic...-bg_on.png

Not Locked Down Wallpaper (PC off)
    Securing my BB10 from enemies. Foreign or domestic...-bg_off.png

Not allowing the install of apps is vital as it seems that most of the successful hacks are done with malicious code installed on a phone.

I like it. Sort of a pain when I want to change or update an app, but then security is supposed to have that factored in.
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-27-14 at 06:47 AM.
    09-25-14 08:20 AM
    I am, as most folks should be, concerned with what information entities can pry from my BlackBerry.
    Great for those with the same concerns!

Personally, I'm happy not having my device "secured". I realize that most of my "data" is out there in the hands of others already. And that it doesn't do me much good to go through the extra efforts, when Target, Home Depot or my local Bank have problems with outsiders accessing their files and my data contained in those files.

Now if I were an important person like a celebrity or a CEO I might go through the extra efforts and time it takes to use all of the great security features that BlackBerry is capable of. Of maybe if I had my CC info on my phone, or saved website passwords in the browser.... but I don't.
    09-25-14 09:13 AM
    Great for those with the same concerns!

Personally, I'm happy not having my device "secured". I realize that most of my "data" is out there in the hands of others already. And that it doesn't do me much good to go through the extra efforts, when Target, Home Depot or my local Bank have problems with outsiders accessing their files and my data contained in those files.

Now if I were an important person like a celebrity or a CEO I might go through the extra efforts and time it takes to use all of the great security features that BlackBerry is capable of. Of maybe if I had my CC info on my phone, or saved website passwords in the browser.... but I don't.
    Folks with tons of passwords etc. , such as IT, financial, managerial, etc all have a real use for security.

No need until it happens to you but as always, options are always good.

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    09-25-14 10:28 AM
    Nice clear writeup, OP.
    09-26-14 04:02 PM
    Nice write up! I set up parental controls out of the box, got laughed at! Glad to see someone else sees the point!

One question - do you, our anyone, know if bb10 noise supports openvpn, our if 10.3 will?
    Sent using tapatalk!
    09-26-14 05:09 PM
    The lack of support for openvpn is one of the Achilles heels of bb10. I do hope this is fixed quickly by soneone. AR blackberry but I don't expect it to be.

Posted via CB10
    09-26-14 10:25 PM
    I never thought of activating the Parental Controls. That's a great idea, OP.
    09-27-14 02:34 PM
    The lack of support for openvpn is one of the Achilles heels of bb10. I do hope this is fixed quickly by soneone. AR blackberry but I don't expect it to be.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think BlackBerry is too keen on OpenVPN. And with what has come out about OpenSSL since Heart Bleed I'm starting to see things their way. They put hooks in the OS specifically for OpenVPN and no one has stepped up. I think, if you want VPN support for BlackBerry you're going to have to learn to love IPSEC.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-27-14 03:42 PM
    Just get BES 10 for additional security

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 04:15 PM
    Set up a BES server and you'll be locking down your phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 04:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    How do you setup a BES server?

What if someone has your sim/imei #'s?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-14 11:37 PM

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean if they have your SIM or IMEI? Doesn't make much of a difference, they can't access your phone.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    https://caenterprisestore.ecomm.weba...V00029022.html

Posted via CB10
    09-28-14 12:52 AM

Posted via CB10
    Except for the connection between phones and the BES. Also depending on your configuration.
    If your not managing a bunch of phones then I see no need for BES. If using a VPN and secure email servers etc.
    For me the fewer outside connections my phone has the more secure.
    I do not use link or third party BES/Cloud.

But in the end BES ain't bad. I just don't like remote connectivity.

Posted via Verizon Z10!
    09-28-14 03:18 AM
    What do you mean if they have your SIM or IMEI? Doesn't make much of a difference, they can't access your phone.

Posted via CB10
    But they can listen to calls right? How do you know they wouldn't be able to access the phone? I've read that if someone has your imei and sim card # they can trace the location of your phone and even listen to calls...or clone your sim

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 06:32 AM
    But they can listen to calls right? How do you know they wouldn't be able to access the phone? I've read that if someone has your imei and sim card # they can trace the location of your phone and even listen to calls...or clone your sim

Posted via CB10
    I thought you were talking about the data in your phone. Cause there are two components in the phone... the data (pictures, videos, documents, emails including transmission ans reception) that can be encrypted and protected using a service like BES... rendering almost impossible to access.

Then there is the carrier side... SMS, phone calls... that can also be encrypted using a special SIM card... or if you use encrypted voice over IP services.

But it's all about cost/benefit. No one is gonna listen to my conversations! They will be bored to hell... so spending a million dollars hacking into my phone calls and listening to my conversations with my mom... well you know.

Encryption strength should be chosen depending on what you want to protect.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 07:26 AM
    I thought you were talking about the data in your phone. Cause there are two components in the phone... the data (pictures, videos, documents, emails including transmission ans reception) that can be encrypted and protected using a service like BES... rendering almost impossible to access.

Then there is the carrier side... SMS, phone calls... that can also be encrypted using a special SIM card... or if you use encrypted voice over IP services.

But it's all about cost/benefit. No one is gonna listen to my conversations! They will be bored to hell... so spending a million dollars hacking into my phone calls and listening to my conversations with my mom... well you know.

Encryption strength should be chosen depending on what you want to protect.

Posted via CB10
    I need to protect my voice calls. Some clown that works at at&t has been giving out my sim/imei to the wrong people. If you could imagine how annoying that is... where can I get the special sim card? What can I download to encrypt the voice calls? And are we positive the sim/imei info can be used against me..?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:02 AM
    I need to protect my voice calls. Some clown that works at at&t has been giving out my sim/imei to the wrong people. If you could imagine how annoying that is... where can I get the special sim card? What can I download to encrypt the voice calls? And are we positive the sim/imei info can be used against me..?

Posted via CB10
    Modern SIM cannot be replicated and I doubt that AT&T would allow two SIM cards on one phone number. So you should be safe as to SMS and voice calls.

As to encrypting voice calls, I'm sure there are plenty solutions out there (although they use your data to call).

The only thing I know are gouvernement grade SIM card to encrypt voice calls... but they cost thousands.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:54 AM
    Also remember that encryption is only good if both end are encrypted. So don't spend a fortune on something when the person you talk or message isn't secure.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 10:55 AM
    Idk man... I've been getting strange sounds on my calls lately. kinda shady

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 11:54 AM
    Idk man... I've been getting strange sounds on my calls lately. kinda shady

Posted via CB10
    Haha... probably bad reception!

Honestly, if you don't have any sensitive information to protect, I wouldn't worry. No one will go to the length of hacking into AT&T and issuing a second SIM on the same line to listen to your voice.

But if you do have sensitive stuff... maybe stick to something like BBM Voice (which I believe has a minimal encryption) or even Skype.

If you are a spy and have national secrets, they look into Cellcrypt or even SecuSmart

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 12:28 PM
    So a hacker couldn't make use of the sim and imei? The realm of why someone would want to tap my calls isn't the point...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 01:28 PM
    Since your phone calls are carried in a digital over the air system, anyone who is monitoring your calls would not be making strange noises on your connection. This would be like your neighbor messing up an FM radio broadcast by turning on his radio. That kind of thing went out with the last analogue phone switches.

Highly compressed digital voice based on vocoder technology on the other hand is very susceptible to drop outs and bandwidth drops. Listen to the Apollo space mission traffic from the capsule to mission control if you want to hear some of the noises vocoders can make. The ones we have now are much better, but not perfect.
    09-30-14 01:54 PM
    So a hacker couldn't make use of the sim and imei? The realm of why someone would want to tap my calls isn't the point...

Posted via CB10
    they will have to be able to duplicate your SIM which is difficult to do... and also hack into AT&T servers in order to allow two SIM on the same number.

Is it possible? Maybe

Will they do it? depends if you have important information enough for them to go through all the hassle, risk getting caught by authorities... just to tap into your call. so yes it matters why would someone tap into your calls...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 02:58 PM
    This would be too complicated for an employee to do?

Posted via CB10
    09-30-14 08:59 PM
32 12