We all know that the new BB10 devices will have expandable storage through hot-swappable microSD slots, but does anyone know if they will support microSDXC (and thus, the exFAT file system)? I would love to throw a 64GB microSDXC card in my 16GB Z10 for a total of 80GB of storage. Wowee! I could finally keep my entire music collection in FLAC on my device.
    01-22-13 01:10 PM
    01-22-13 01:11 PM
    I think we'll find out January 30th....
    01-22-13 02:47 PM
    I think we'll find out January 30th....
    Are you just posting this answer anywhere you can? If you aren't gonna add to the conversation, why post?

Guess I just did the same though...
    ZayDub likes this.
    01-22-13 03:16 PM
    RIM licensed exFAT from Microsoft --- but don't know whether RIM made it in time for launch.

RIM licenses Microsoft's exFAT file system to stuff extra-large files into BlackBerry devices
    01-22-13 04:01 PM
    CrackBerry Kevin stated in this thread that 64GB microSD cards will be supported, thus microSDXC. Guess we'll find out how in-the-know our fearless leader is.
    01-23-13 11:41 AM
    CrackBerry Kevin stated in this thread that 64GB microSD cards will be supported, thus microSDXC. Guess we'll find out how in-the-know our fearless leader is.
    I'd say he's fairly well informed as a whole, and I think this is something he's concrete on. The crackberry shop has started selling 64gb SDXC cards for the z10 already and I can't imagine that Kevin would let that happen if its going to be something that people genuinely can't use. It'd be very uncool to say 'yeah its probably going to be fine, now give me your money'. Not to say that our fearless leader doesn't make mistakes, just I don't think he'd let the shop guys source and sell something as expensive as 64gb cards if there was a chance that they'd never be able to sell them here.
    Kevstra likes this.
    01-23-13 12:38 PM
    I'd say he's fairly well informed as a whole, and I think this is something he's concrete on. The crackberry shop has started selling 64gb SDXC cards for the z10 already and I can't imagine that Kevin would let that happen if its going to be something that people genuinely can't use. It'd be very uncool to say 'yeah its probably going to be fine, now give me your money'. Not to say that our fearless leader doesn't make mistakes, just I don't think he'd let the shop guys source and sell something as expensive as 64gb cards if there was a chance that they'd never be able to sell them here.
    Great point. I didn't know they were available in the CrackBerry store. Thanks for the heads up! Seems likely if they're selling 'em for the Z10, it will support them.
    01-23-13 06:45 PM
    When I bought BlackBerry Z10 I was hoping that I will be able to use it as my primary music player. My previous Bold 9900 was able to play music from folders. It is not the case with the new BB 10 though. Very disappointing. I am still hoping that it will be fixed in the future, but for now the long time it takes for blackberry to fix the many problems with BB 10 is frustrating.

Back to the problem with 64 GB SDXC. The phone can only understand it if it is formatted inside the phone itself into FAT32. But once you plug the phone to your computer, the next time you try to use your external memory on your phone you have to format it back again, loosing all the transferred music in the process.

In conclusion 64 GB SDXC are not usable on Blackberry 10 yet. Has not worked for me, yet. Blackberry, come up with a fix to it, please!!!
    10-08-13 04:26 AM
    ...Back to the problem with 64 GB SDXC. The phone can only understand it if it is formatted inside the phone itself into FAT32. But once you plug the phone to your computer, the next time you try to use your external memory on your phone you have to format it back again, loosing all the transferred music in the process...
    That has never happened to me, with my 64GB SDXC card (formatted as FAT32 in the phone). My card continues to be accessible, always.

The OS 10.2.1.476 branch leak (the latest one as of this writing), shows some notes about exFat support, so that would seem that Blackberry does have plans to bring official support to BB10 (at some point).
    Last edited by dad2bandm; 10-08-13 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Typo in build number.
    10-08-13 08:06 AM
    I have a 64G Kingston card in my Zed, this morning I decided to add some more music.

I had about 45Gigs of mp3s and added another 1.5 Gigs, no issues, listened to the new music on the way into work.

Card was formatted in the device and has never been removed. BlackBerry was connected to the PC via usb and files were dropped into an explorer window.

Rogers Z10-stl100-3, 10.1.0.4181
    10-08-13 06:15 PM
    Bought as SanDisk 64Gb and put in Q10 yesterday.
    Formatted in phone - note Go into settings to format, The SD is unseen by phone till this is done. Gives 59+Gb usable.
    Removed SD from phone placed in PC and copied 14.7 Gb from old 16Gb SD + about 2Gb more music including some big flac files which Q10 will play.
    NO ISSUES FOUND
    Q10SQN100-3/10.1.0.4633

( 1 x shift ) !~ /^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
    10-09-13 01:45 AM
    exFAT is now supported in OS 10.2.1.xxx
    10-09-13 03:41 AM
    I have a 64G Kingston card in my Zed, this morning I decided to add some more music.

I had about 45Gigs of mp3s and added another 1.5 Gigs, no issues, listened to the new music on the way into work.

Card was formatted in the device and has never been removed. BlackBerry was connected to the PC via usb and files were dropped into an explorer window.

Rogers Z10-stl100-3, 10.1.0.4181
    This^^^. Insert card. Format to BlackBerry file tree. Plug BlackBerry into computer and treat as a removable drive. Drag and drop into music.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 03:52 AM
    When I bought BlackBerry Z10 I was hoping that I will be able to use it as my primary music player. My previous Bold 9900 was able to play music from folders. It is not the case with the new BB 10 though. Very disappointing. I am still hoping that it will be fixed in the future, but for now the long time it takes for blackberry to fix the many problems with BB 10 is frustrating.

Back to the problem with 64 GB SDXC. The phone can only understand it if it is formatted inside the phone itself into FAT32. But once you plug the phone to your computer, the next time you try to use your external memory on your phone you have to format it back again, loosing all the transferred music in the process.

In conclusion 64 GB SDXC are not usable on Blackberry 10 yet. Has not worked for me, yet. Blackberry, come up with a fix to it, please!!!
    Are you saying you want folders along side artists albums and genres.

You can play music in folders from filemanager although its best not to do that. You can also create play lists. If you dont like the native music app which is actually quite good there are alternatives you can download from BlackBerry World, everything in your post seems incorrect?

Ps 4:30pm phone charged this morning before 7am Battery showing 69% listened to music most of day
    - ie playing music uses hardly any battery on bbbos10
    10-09-13 10:25 AM
    That is a great news. MicroSD and the native File manager app were one of the top reasons I bought a Blackberry Z10. It is important for music listeners to be able to play their music directly from folders. Being able to organize ones personal music this way saves you a lotta hustle with broken metadata in music files. Folders is still the easiest way to go about your music. Unless you are ready to pay through the nose to the many online music services.

So, please, Blackberry, bring back to the File Mansger app the old ability to play a whole folder of music, like it was on Blackberry OSs 5,6, and 7.
    10-18-13 08:55 AM
    That is really great for us who has movies larger than 4GB. The 4GB limit was starting to become a real obstacle, unless you wanted to put it in the internal flash.
    10-18-13 01:23 PM
    Are you saying you want folders along side artists albums and genres.

You can play music in folders from filemanager although its best not to do that. You can also create play lists. If you dont like the native music app which is actually quite good there are alternatives you can download from BlackBerry World, everything in your post seems incorrect?

Ps 4:30pm phone charged this morning before 7am Battery showing 69% listened to music most of day
    - ie playing music uses hardly any battery on bbbos10
    You say that it is better to not play music from the Filemanager app. I disagree. That is the whole purpose why I bought a Blackberry 10 phone. I do own a Lumia 925, an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S4. The ability to play whole folders from the filemanager app was the sole reason why I bought a fourth telephone. I was hoping it would play music from folders. Right now it can play a single file in a folder, but does not let you skip through tracks in it. I know, it was the same for Blackberry 6. This function came along only with later updates. So, I am still WAITING!!! The long time it takes is very annoying, though!!!

And the exFAT support on my Blackberry Z10 has not been fixed with the 10.2.1 leaked builds. Tried two of them today. Killed tons of time on it to no avail. Have to roll back to a more stable 10.2.0.1791.

And the problem with the phone stopping recognising a microSD after a phone restart or connection to a PC/Mac did not go anywhere. Tested it several times today. I do not think that it is problem with a card, though. I own two of them and one works just fine in my Galaxy S4.

Do not get me wrong, Blackberry is a great phone. I do love it. I owned a Bold 9700, Bold 9780, Torch 9800, and a Bold 9900. And this one I own now will be a great phone when software on it matures.

So, Blackberry, there still is a way to go with the work on the system.

P.S. - The new spinning wait circle in later versions of the system is great, though. Love it! ))))))
    10-18-13 02:25 PM
    After adding a 64GB sdxc exfat formatted card to my Z10 with latest 10.2.1 leak the device reports attempting to download a suitable driver. But this driver download fails, and so does any attempt to format the sdcard.
    Seems to me the exfat support will be built into 10.2.1 but the needed driver is not (yet) available (neither built-in nor via download). But there is some hope for the final 10.2.1.
    Thoughts?
    11-28-13 01:00 PM
    After adding a 64GB sdxc exfat formatted card to my Z10 with latest 10.2.1 leak the device reports attempting to download a suitable driver. But this driver download fails, and so does any attempt to format the sdcard.
    Seems to me the exfat support will be built into 10.2.1 but the needed driver is not (yet) available (neither built-in nor via download). But there is some hope for the final 10.2.1.
    Thoughts?
    man i do hope they fix it. i use a transcend 64gb sdxc and it's on fat32 as well. would love to have it back to exfat. waiting for the official release. go stl100-1
    12-20-13 11:16 AM
    I am on 10.2.1, and put in an SDXC exFAT card and phone wont recognize it
    03-15-14 08:42 PM
    Today I received my 128G sandisk card, using the HPUSBDisk utility got it formatted to FAT32, and this is the bomb! now if BB would get the exFAT compatibility fixed.
    03-16-14 01:39 AM
    I'm on 10.2.1 and my Z30 does not recognize exFAT SD cards using USB OTG.

Are there any apps or other workarounds?

When can we expect a BB fix?

Posted via CB10
    03-18-14 08:55 PM
    svein99, yeah format as FAT32
    03-18-14 09:07 PM
    I used fat32format.exe to format my external 128 GB SS SanDisk and it worked OK using OTG. I extracted the file from here to C:\
    => http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm
    FYI, if you don't have the HP utility to format a SD card > 32GB.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-14 03:14 PM
31 12