Having this issue over and over, every few weeks. Happened on my Z10 and now my Z30 and on multiple OS version, and with multiple SD cards:

All data on cards disappears. Cards still show memory used up, but no files are visible (not even when put directly into the PC.

I keep having to use data recovery programs to find the files hidden on the card, paste them back to the PC, reformat card, then paste them back.

Unfortunately, when doing that, file names are lost, which is very annoying with photo and video file names that are tagged with the date taken.

I don't know what else to do, as the problem isn't limited to a specific brand (I have tried SanDisk Adata and others), and have tried reformatting using the PC and the phone itself.

In the beginning I thought it was because I was using a 64gig card, but have had the same problem with 32gig models.

Anyone here know a reason for this?
    Could it be Android app related (maybe when these apps try accessing the card)?

Posted via CB10
    rai187 likes this.
    07-05-14 06:45 PM
    I'm gonna say start fresh.. move any data you have on the card currently to a computer and leave it there. Then, format the card in the device and see if it happens after that. If you're constantly moving stuff back and forth then you're likely also moving the issue back back and forth or at the very least, not ruling it out. If it happens on a clean, formatted card then you'll need to start looking at other options.
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    07-05-14 06:50 PM
    I did do that Blaze.
    As a matter of fact I format every single time this has happened.
    It just keeps happening every few weeks.
    The last time it happened was before I had time to even put the old files back on the card.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 06:58 PM
    I did do that Blaze.
    The last time it happened was before I had time to even put the old files back on the card.

Posted via CB10
    Weird... What Android apps are you running? I can't see them being the problem but again, can't really rule it out either.
    07-05-14 07:15 PM
    No way! Nothing is more corrupt than FIFA!!!!
    tryfe, Nayalm, Melinium and 5 others like this.
    07-05-14 07:19 PM
    I did do that Blaze.

Posted via CB10
    He meant don't copy your old data back, start using the card with new data.

Edit : never mind - just read your last sentence.
    07-05-14 07:53 PM
    I'm having a similar issue as well. Just upgraded from a 4gb class 4 fat32 SD card to a Samsung Pro 64gb. There was all kinds of randomness.

I initially just copied over all the files from the old card to the new card and put it into the phone. The phone couldn't read any of it and came up with a message; new media card inserted and it must be formatted to use. So I went ahead and formatted on the phone. Back into the computer to transfer the files. I look at the formatting type, and it was ex-fat.
    I copied all the files into the individual folders that were created when formatted in the phone. Put back into the phone. And now it showed the files. When I looked via settings, there was 10gigs of music and some other stuff. Then I rebooted the phone...
    Now it was showing that there were 500mb music. and when I opened the camera to test, it errored out saying that it could not write to the media card. I went into settings and hit 'format media card'. It finished in a few seconds, but then it showed 59.5gb of 59.5gb used. Which was very weird. When I looked in the details, it showed 59.5gb of other data. No matter how many times I formatted it in the phone, it showed the same. Put it back in the computer.. when I check the properties of the card, it shows that it is full, but when I selected all the files and folders (I have desktop set to show hidden stuff) in it, it was 11gb.... formatted again in the computer and again in the phone... copied all files again. when I put it back in the phone, it shows all the files.. but when I restart the phone, it shows a different amount of music... Don't have all the screen grabs, but will post some...

I didn't take any videos, nor did I delete any music. The discrepancies were just by restarting the phone and waiting for a while after booting up (6+hrs) before checking.

Anyone else have this random weirdness happen?
    I was planing to downgrade to a 32gb card, but that seems to be having similar problems as well, so not sure if that is a solution. The only other thing I could try is to explicitly format the card in the computer to be ntfs or fat32 and then format in the phone and see if it keeps that formatting. I don't download movies on the phone, so the 4gb file size limit isn't an issue (yet)
    07-05-14 08:01 PM
    07-05-14 08:04 PM
    I'm having a similar issue as well. Just upgraded from a 4gb class 4 fat32 SD card to a Samsung Pro 64gb. There was all kinds of randomness.

I initially just copied over all the files from the old card to the new card and put it into the phone. The phone couldn't read any of it and came up with a message; new media card inserted and it must be formatted to use. So I went ahead and formatted on the phone. Back into the computer to transfer the files. I look at the formatting type, and it was ex-fat.
    I copied all the files into the individual folders that were created when formatted in the phone. Put back into the phone. And now it showed the files. When I looked via settings, there was 10gigs of music and some other stuff. Then I rebooted the phone...
    Now it was showing that there were 500mb music. and when I opened the camera to test, it errored out saying that it could not write to the media card. I went into settings and hit 'format media card'. It finished in a few seconds, but then it showed 59.5gb of 59.5gb used. Which was very weird. When I looked in the details, it showed 59.5gb of other data. No matter how many times I formatted it in the phone, it showed the same. Put it back in the computer.. when I check the properties of the card, it shows that it is full, but when I selected all the files and folders (I have desktop set to show hidden stuff) in it, it was 11gb.... formatted again in the computer and again in the phone... copied all files again. when I put it back in the phone, it shows all the files.. but when I restart the phone, it shows a different amount of music... Don't have all the screen grabs, but will post some...

Anyone else have this random weirdness happen?
    I was planing to downgrade to a 32gb card, but that seems to be having similar problems as well, so not sure if that is a solution. The only other thing I could try is to explicitly format the card in the computer to be ntfs or fat32 and then format in the phone and see if it keeps that formatting. I don't download movies on the phone, so the 4gb file size limit isn't an issue (yet)
    Same as you!
    Formatted the card on the computer again and gave it to my father for his S3-mini, worked without any problem!! 64GB Sandisk... although I had the newest OS-Update... I won't risk it again... I have a 32G, 21/29GB so I don't need a bigger card in the moment.

BlackBerry*Q10, T-Mobile Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.2941
    07-05-14 08:08 PM
    Having this issue over and over, every few weeks. Happened on my Z10 and now my Z30 and on multiple OS version, and with multiple SD cards:

All data on cards disappears. Cards still show memory used up, but no files are visible (not even when put directly into the PC.

I keep having to use data recovery programs to find the files hidden on the card, paste them back to the PC, reformat card, then paste them back.

Unfortunately, when doing that, file names are lost, which is very annoying with photo and video file names that are tagged with the date taken.

I don't know what else to do, as the problem isn't limited to a specific brand (I have tried SanDisk Adata and others), and have tried reformatting using the PC and the phone itself.

In the beginning I thought it was because I was using a 64gig card, but have had the same problem with 32gig models.

Anyone here know a reason for this?
    Could it be Android app related (maybe when these apps try accessing the card)?

Posted via CB10
    How is the card formatted? My bet is that your 64gb and 32gb cards have a FAT32 file system. You need to use FATex for 64gb cards to avoid corruption (and possibly for 32gb cards, can't remember). Otherwise the file system on your card WILL get corrupted at some point.
    07-05-14 08:09 PM
    How is the card formatted? My bet is that your 64gb and 32gb cards have a FAT32 file system. You need to use FATex for 64gb cards to avoid corruption (and possibly for 32gb cards, can't remember). Otherwise the file system on your card WILL get corrupted at some point.
    Mines formatted ex-fat and still have the data discrepancies. In my case, I don't think the data is corrupt yet, the phone just fails to read/write to the card at times. The times that it showed there was 500mb of music, it would show 9.5 gb in other data.
    I'm not sure if I can live with an un-reliable data card in the phone...
    07-05-14 08:23 PM
    i'm having nightmare issues with 64 gb cards. i've tried three and all three have failed multiple times with formats in between. all work fine on my thinkpad through a card reader after format. if not for box.com sync i would have lost a lot of irreplaceable pics including my wife's graduation from grad school.

i've given up and went back to my 32 gb card.
    07-05-14 09:01 PM
    i'm having nightmare issues with 64 gb cards. i've tried three and all three have failed multiple times with formats in between. all work fine on my thinkpad through a card reader after format. if not for box.com sync i would have lost a lot of irreplaceable pics including my wife's graduation from grad school.

i've given up and went back to my 32 gb card.
    Likewise - back to the 32GB SD card. exFAT is not compatible with my Q10 running 10.2.1.2273 (AT&T). The phone tries to format the 64GB SD with FAT32 and eventually corrupts the file system on the SD (like immediately following a soft reboot). I've gone through multiple Samsung PRO 64GB cards trying everything to get the SD to remain stable/useable. Returning them all to Amazon until the next OS release from AT&T (cya when hell freezes over). -MC
    07-05-14 09:16 PM
    This keeps coming up. I really hope Bla1ze or someone with connections at BlackBerry gets them to fix this serious issue.

My personal experience is that it is better to avoid the BB10 formatting tools altogether (until fixed). Use another system to "Partition" and full format the card then insert it into the phone.
    07-05-14 10:06 PM
    My original problems were with 64gb but it keeps happening with 32gb
    And like I said, different models, different classes etc.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:08 PM
    FIFA is less corrupt than the Olympic selection folks.
    saxxman likes this.
    07-06-14 12:18 AM
    Just throwing this out there. Have you tested the card using H2testw?
    07-06-14 12:32 AM
    I'm going to say this for the 25th time...USE PATRIOT CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT RIDATA, SANDISK OR ANY OTHERS. PERIOD.....

Crackberry Genius on Verizon STL100-4 10.3.0.296/442
    07-06-14 03:54 AM
    I really don't think this is an issue caused by the brand of card. I've used too many different brands, sizes, and classes for this to be unlucky coincidence.
    As for Android apps, I have lots on here, from King fames (Candy Crush etc...) to Logitech's Harmony app, Facebook, Zedge, Instagram... And more)

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 01:11 PM
    another question, where did you buy your card? ebay, amazon? Was it a trusted dealer? There are a lot of counterfeit SD cards out there that stimulate the full storage but loss data over time.

"Classic" better be called "Bold Q20" or "Bold 10" Keep Bold Alive, would Apple Kill iPhone? ?
    07-06-14 01:20 PM
    I've had similar issues on my wife's phone and my own. I'm going on a couple weeks now without an issue though.

What we've seen frequently is that we can only see one picture in the photos library at a time. We end up rebooting and re-seating the card, then the photo app scans about half the media on the card and hangs, while the CPU roasts the phone. Three or four times doing this and it finishes so we pull out of the nosedive for a couple weeks.

Just realized, we were early adopters of the Z10, so the phones are a bit oldish. The way this behaves it's almost like the built-in card reader is flaky. QNX is a very solid OS, and in the general case, software is predictable, either it's going to work or not (obviously there are some exceptions due to varying inputs, or threading race conditions, etc.). Flaky/cheap hardware seems more plausible to me for the issues I have experienced than an OS bug. I also have a difficult time believing that BB10/QNX would have a file system corruption bug, but I guess it's possible...

Oh and the above is just some thoughts on the topic which may or may not be correct. I find this type of discussion interesting since by day I'm a sustained engineer (another way of saying "software mechanic"; I find and fix software bugs)

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    Last edited by Carterbits; 07-06-14 at 01:43 PM.
    07-06-14 01:29 PM
    I'm a little curious as to why the need to format the cards at all, I have used many of a variety of gas and classes ( although SanDisk everyone) throughout the years and have never once formatted a card and never once had an issue with one.
    I'm not saying that this is the right way or that formatting is wrong, just that I have never found a reason to. I have transferred data off of them and erased them many times and all have worked flawlessly.
    I have also used cards back and forth on a number of devices and all pictures video and files show up. For example, I had a basic 8 GB microcard that came with the Storm and have put it in my wife's old Storm, my Droid X and my Z-10, no issues. As well I have used the 16 GB and moved that around as well. I have a 64 GB (ultra I believe) in my phone now and have replaced it with a 32 GB ultra, used it while on vacation, downloaded and erased stuff, and replaced it all with no problems. The same 32 GB has also been moved fa SanDisk wifi usb stick into a cheap, cheap android tablet, and on into my Dell Venue 8, back and forth, all the while maintaining its integrity.
    The same goes for a variety of regular SD cards that I move around in my cameras.
    Again, I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, nor that formatting is wrong, but it does seem to me that many problems seem to arise in the formatting process.
    If there is not a very clear need to format, or reformat then why do it

To be clear to those that are going to say my devices are formatting them without my knowledge, notice that I have had no loss of data, and when I have used a new or old card, if the device has asked if I want to format I have always said no.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 01:49 PM
    I'm a little curious as to why the need to format the cards at all, I have used many of a variety of gas and classes ( although SanDisk everyone) throughout the years and have never once formatted a card and never once had an issue with one.
    I'm not saying that this is the right way or that formatting is wrong, just that I have never found a reason to. I have transferred data off of them and erased them many times and all have worked flawlessly.
    I have also used cards back and forth on a number of devices and all pictures video and files show up. For example, I had a basic 8 GB microcard that came with the Storm and have put it in my wife's old Storm, my Droid X and my Z-10, no issues. As well I have used the 16 GB and moved that around as well. I have a 64 GB (ultra I believe) in my phone now and have replaced it with a 32 GB ultra, used it while on vacation, downloaded and erased stuff, and replaced it all with no problems. The same 32 GB has also been moved fa SanDisk wifi usb stick into a cheap, cheap android tablet, and on into my Dell Venue 8, back and forth, all the while maintaining its integrity.
    The same goes for a variety of regular SD cards that I move around in my cameras.
    Again, I'm not saying this is the right way to do it, nor that formatting is wrong, but it does seem to me that many problems seem to arise in the formatting process.
    If there is not a very clear need to format, or reformat then why do it

To be clear to those that are going to say my devices are formatting them without my knowledge, notice that I have had no loss of data, and when I have used a new or old card, if the device has asked if I want to format I have always said no.

Posted via CB10
    Well once the data becomes corrupted, the files are invisible to your PC and phone, only data recovery software finds the lost data on the card, so the only way to clear the card to re-use it is to format it.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:22 PM
    another question, where did you buy your card? ebay, amazon? Was it a trusted dealer? There are a lot of counterfeit SD cards out there that stimulate the full storage but loss data over time.

"Classic" better be called "Bold Q20" or "Bold 10" Keep Bold Alive, would Apple Kill iPhone? ?
    Yes all from trusted dealers... Canada Computers, Staples etc...

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 03:22 PM
    Same here. From Samsung sold by Amazon....
    A day of leaving it in the phone and this is where it's at

SD Card... More corruption than FIFA-img_20140706_190319.png
    SD Card... More corruption than FIFA-img_20140706_190350.png
    SD Card... More corruption than FIFA-img_20140706_190424.png
    07-06-14 06:10 PM
54 123