again, and for the last time. the app runs just fine (I was using it for months). like snapchat, they are blocking users who run it on a blackberry. I am not the only bb10 holdout in the world..hell, my os isnt even a year old...and there's even a promised update coming! blocking me from my account means moving banks, though in the meantime they will hear from me daily.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 09:13 AM
    Omg you refuse to listen to anyone and just whine and cry and whine and cry. Move banks then. I doubt Scotia cares. They're not going to support a dead platform. Yes the update is less than a year old and yes a lot of people still use BB10, but the platforms ecosystem is effectively dead. Very few developers still support it and BlackBerry doesn't support it either. I'm not gonna bother explaining what everyone else already has, because they're right and you just refuse to listen. They didn't deny you access they stopped supporting a non-compliant device. Either get a compliant device or be left in the cold again. Your device being compliant has nothing to do with whether or not the app will run on your phone. Google play didn't run on non compliant devices u til someone here figured out how to patch it. Which in googles case is perfectly fine because android is open source. Patching your banks app would be illegal.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 09:29 AM
    again, and for the last time. the app runs just fine (I was using it for months). like snapchat, they are blocking users who run it on a blackberry. I am not the only bb10 holdout in the world..hell, my os isnt even a year old...and there's even a promised update coming! blocking me from my account means moving banks, though in the meantime they will hear from me daily.

Posted via CBX
    You may not be the only hold out, but you are one of very, very few.

I work for a large international bank. One of the things our apps must do is verify their own integrity and that of the OS on every use. The techniques for doing that do not work in the BB10 runtime. That's one issue.

Another issue is that we test our apps very extensively on every device that has more than a certain number of users. So every new build is tested both automatically and manually at various stages in the process. We block BB10 devices because we chose not to spend time/money on testing against those devices. It would be cheaper for us to assign a private banker to each of the handful of customers we have on BB10. Our customers are mostly in the EU, US and Asia. We have very few customers in Canada, and so we have a tiny, tiny number of BB10 users. Hundreds of people at last count!

Again, just normal business decisions that any company must make to contain costs.
    07-19-17 09:36 AM
    again, and for the last time. the app runs just fine (I was using it for months). like snapchat, they are blocking users who run it on a blackberry.
    Snapchat had well-publicized security breaches coming from non-compliant platforms. They did not block Blackberry out of spite, they simply banned all non-compliant devices from running the app.

It's their app and they have every right to want to control the experience, both from a security and from a usability standpoint.

The same thing is happening with your app, along with more and more everyday.
    07-19-17 09:42 AM
    You may not be the only hold out, but you are one of very, very few.

I work for a large international bank. One of the things our apps must do is verify their own integrity and that of the OS on every use. The techniques for doing that do not work in the BB10 runtime. That's one issue.
    contain costs.
    thank you for your actual useful contribution to this thread (unlike some, but I guess you find all types on crackberry, let alone in a bb10 os forum)

like most bb10 holdouts, i'm a little more technical than most of the banks clients (and crackberry users?) ...the whole ymmv approach is good enough for me. the apps wont run modified, neither will the blackberry os. integrity and security are a given on this platform. if the apps have been working fine for years leave it at that! I am fully satisfied with the current state of my banking applications. I do not require new features. I require access to my accounts, as always. I will not be forced onto their preferred mobile device, because it certainly isn't mine! I paid good money for this one and i've never been more satisfied.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 09:48 AM
    Snapchat had well-publicized security breaches coming from non-compliant platforms. They did not block Blackberry out of spite, they simply banned all non-compliant devices from running the app.
    ah yes, and I have no issue with snapchat making that decision. based on their policies, we can chose whether or not we want to play on snapchat.

however, I am a life-long paying customer of this financial institution and this is how I access my accounts, pay my bills, etc.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 09:51 AM
    Which is all part of the mess in running apps on a non-compliant platform. Many of the controls are missing.
    Incompetent developers in the case I suggest.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 10:04 AM
    ah yes, and I have no issue with snapchat making that decision. based on their policies, we can chose whether or not we want to play on snapchat.

however, I am a life-long paying customer of this financial institution and this is how I access my accounts, pay my bills, etc.

Posted via CBX
    Since you're using iTrade, you're an investor in various companies.

Have you demanded that they all use your money, cut from your returns, to provide all of their customers BlackBerry 10 apps? If not, why should Scotia?

I'm a BlackBerry 10 user, will be for a while yet, but if companies I invest in are spending money supporting a dead platform (argue all you want, marketshare is a joke for BB10 and shrinking, something you can't argue with) then I'm questioning why they're throwing away my money.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 10:42 AM

Posted via CBX
    What you really seem to be arguing for now, is that they continue to develop the native application.

You can't really be suggesting that they somehow be forced to manage all of the issues that may occur on using their Android app on all conceivable non compliant devices.
    07-19-17 10:43 AM
    This sucks! Just another reminder as to why I can't go back to my Passport. I have returned to my Passport for a couple days now and was absolutely loving being back on BB10 until I saw this post and coincidentally I noticed that my TD app has intact stopped working as they said it would. This is a total ****-off. I have installed the Android variant but how long will that last?
    I can still access it via the Web but it's not easy to view since it's not a mobile designed page.
    Going to have to give some serious thought to this.
    07-19-17 10:49 AM
    I dont require any additional development. only that they do not block me from accessing my funds, and making timely trades etc.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 10:56 AM
    I use the android app.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 10:58 AM
    I can still access it via the Web but it's not easy to view since it's not a mobile designed page.
    Mobile-friendly websites are long overdue.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 11:00 AM
    This sucks! Just another reminder as to why I can't go back to my Passport. I have returned to my Passport for a couple days now and was absolutely loving being back on BB10 until I saw this post and coincidentally I noticed that my TD app has intact stopped working
    I used my TD app today. it worked fine. as did the scotiabank one. both of which are also required here. they should not deny access to existing customers with working apps. thats the whole argument. i'm sure it costs more to block us than to leave it alone.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 11:02 AM
    What you really seem to be arguing for now, is that they continue to develop the native application.

You can't really be suggesting that they somehow be forced to manage all of the issues that may occur on using their Android app on all conceivable non compliant devices.
    Conite, the biggest challenge coming are the changes required for all on-line banking apps. Troy spelled out the situation very clearly. People using older Android phones will be in the same situation as BB10 clients using Android apps. Banks have to move beyond Android 4.3. I assume these new changes will require the remaining BB10 apps be updated (if possible). We stopped developing BB10 enterprise supporting apps last year, hard to continue development when BlackBerry has not updated the SDKs for years.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 11:04 AM
    Conite, the biggest challenge coming are the changes required for all on-line banking apps. Troy & app_Developer spelled out the situation very clearly. People using older Android phones will be in the same situation as BB10 clients using Android apps. Banks have to move beyond Android 4.3. I assume these new changes will require the remaining BB10 apps be updated (if possible). We stopped developing BB10 enterprise supporting apps last year, hard to continue development when BlackBerry has not updated the SDKs for years.
    You're preaching to the choir.
    eshropshire likes this.
    07-19-17 11:13 AM
    thank you for your actual useful contribution to this thread (unlike some, but I guess you find all types on crackberry, let alone in a bb10 os forum)

like most bb10 holdouts, i'm a little more technical than most of the banks clients (and crackberry users?) ...the whole ymmv approach is good enough for me. the apps wont run modified, neither will the blackberry os. integrity and security are a given on this platform. if the apps have been working fine for years leave it at that! I am fully satisfied with the current state of my banking applications. I do not require new features. I require access to my accounts, as always. I will not be forced onto their preferred mobile device, because it certainly isn't mine! I paid good money for this one and i've never been more satisfied.

Posted via CBX
    So I think it's completely untrue that security is a given on this platform. A very common attack against our users is people taking our apps and modifying them to track user behavior (even capturing credentials!) and then redistributing their app as ours in these off brand Chinese app stores. BB10 provides absolutely no protection against that type of attack. That's why we keep adding and evolving more integrity checks, which like I said don't work on BB10.

Second, we can't accept YMMV. There is no way I could explain that to our regulators or even to ourselves. We work so hard to protect our users money and then you want us to say "oh, these users are technical, they can take care of themselves on some old less secure version of the app and we know their mileage may vary". That's not a way to run a bank!
    07-19-17 11:22 AM
    youre kidding right....installing knock-off banking apps from a chinese app store? there is a mechanism that prevents patched apps from running....i've tried to remove certain unnecessary and highly questionable permissions from my banking apps, and they will not run modified. i'm not asking for anything other than the ability to CONTINUE using the bank's own apps that currently work. you guys are twisting this in all kinds of directions.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 01:24 PM
    youre kidding right....installing knock-off banking apps from a chinese app store? there is a mechanism that prevents patched apps from running....i've tried to remove certain unnecessary and highly questionable permissions from my banking apps, and they will not run modified. i'm not asking for anything other than the ability to CONTINUE using the bank's own apps that currently work. you guys are twisting this in all kinds of directions.

Posted via CBX
    Yet you are trying to use an app that was not designed for this platform. What possible expectations do you have? I don't think you have any business being upset with a company that won't let you run an app on a non compliant device.

There are lots of modifications you can make without triggering any kind of alert whatsoever on bb10. I know this first hand.

You may have an argument about them ceasing to support the native Blackberry app. But given the handful of users that are still using it, it hardly seems reasonable.
    07-19-17 01:46 PM
    Sideloading apps was not even the original intent of including the runtime anyway even though it later was officially endorsed as a bandaid.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 03:02 PM
    a class-action lawsuit is in order.
    07-19-17 03:25 PM
    all I want to know is... what did Scotia say when you called to complain?
    07-19-17 03:34 PM
    so you're on board! great!

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 03:55 PM
    all I want to know is... what did Scotia say when you called to complain?
    the manager said he'd talk to the tech team and get back to me.
    pretty sure that's the standard response anyone gets...and the call never comes.

Posted via CBX
    07-19-17 03:56 PM
    I dont require any additional development. only that they do not block me from accessing my funds, and making timely trades etc.
    You may not require any additional development, but the industry as a whole does. All North American banks have agreed to new standards for mobile payments which require changing various parts of their applications and raising security standards. Banks that don't make these changes won't have access to credit card processing, and that is a massive carrot to motivate them to get those changes rolled out.

Frankly, the bank is willing to lose your business in order to retain the business of the vast majority of their other customers. Plus, you really don't have any options for BB10 support, because the other banks have done the same thing.

You don't have to like it, but you can't prevent the industry from moving forward and leaving you behind. But, hey, email still works, for now...
    07-19-17 04:09 PM
68 123