I for one am outraged...the android app works perfectly well on my passport but as of this week i have been blocked from accessing my trading account. a class-action lawsuit is in order. any itrade users? any of whom are lawyers?

Posted via CBX
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-18-17 04:40 PM
    They developed the app for Android devices. They don't have to allow unauthorized devices to access it. Not sure how you think you have a leg to stand on for a class action lawsuit.
    07-18-17 04:55 PM
    They developed the app for Android devices. They don't have to allow unauthorized devices to access it. Not sure how you think you have a leg to stand on for a class action lawsuit.
    Yeah lol
    07-18-17 05:02 PM
    Website doesn't even mention support for BB10. Good luck with that class action lawsuit.

http://www.scotiabank.com/itrade/en/0,,3726,00.html
    07-18-17 05:03 PM
    I for one am outraged...the android app works perfectly well on my passport but as of this week i have been blocked from accessing my trading account. a class-action lawsuit is in order. any itrade users? any of whom are lawyers?

Posted via CBX
    Does the Scotia Itrade app in BBW not work? I see that it was last updated on May 19/2017 so it's not that old.
    07-18-17 05:13 PM
    Could be backend security changes. No one can expect any corporation to consider BB10 compatibility at this point.

Unless you're doing millions of dollars in trades and $10's of thousands in commissions for Scotia, why should they care?

We should consider ourselves lucky that the Android banking app still works after they said it would no longer work back in June. It is on borrowed time right now, just like everything on BB10 is.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    07-18-17 06:08 PM
    the one in bbw is an android port and is blocked as well.

the thing is, both apps work perfectly well but we are being shut out. someone at scotiabank is in the pocket of someone at apple or google. this is grounds for a lawsuit. I demand access to my funds, and quotes, and not through their cludgey website.

Posted via CBX
    07-18-17 06:12 PM
    well whaddya know...I reverted to app version 2.6.0 and i'm back in my account. the recent releases to play store and blackberry world were designed to kill off us savvy blackberrians. i'm so sick of this ***** bank.

Posted via CBX
    07-18-17 06:21 PM
    the thing is, both apps work perfectly well but we are being shut out. someone at scotiabank is in the pocket of someone at apple or google. this is grounds for a lawsuit. I demand access to my funds, and quotes, and not through their cludgey website.
    With other apps at least, the crackberry definition of "perfectly" is not the same as the general definition of perfect. But in any case, the developers of the app have no obligation to support BB10 or Symbian or Tizen or WebOS or any other rarely used operating system.

They don't need Apple or anyone else to pay them to do the logical thing, which is to support the operating systems and devices used by the majority of their users. It's the same reason McDonalds doesn't put stores in little towns with a few hundred people. You invest where the people/users are. We all do.

I cannot imagine what you would claim in a lawsuit. Can a 100 person town in the middle of nowhere sue McDonalds (or Walmart or Tim Horton or whomever) for ignoring them?
    07-18-17 07:10 PM
    I think youre missing the point. the app works fine. they have chose to block us from using it, likely due to some way they can exploit the android os to steal information they have no right to... and not bb10. this bank is not to be trusted. ten plus years i've battled them.

Posted via CBX
    07-18-17 07:29 PM
    I think youre missing the point. the app works fine. they have chose to block us from using it, likely due to some way they can exploit the android os to steal information they have no right to... and not bb10. this bank is not to be trusted. ten plus years i've battled them.

Posted via CBX
    It's not that. They don't want fragmentation, and want a consistent user experience. They also can't check the integrity of the app on BB10, so it's a security issue.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-18-17 08:04 PM
    And more importantly, ALL banks in North America are updating their apps (and locking out old ones) due to new laws and treaties regarding mobile payments, which require changes to security. These changes can't be verified on phones that aren't running "real" Android, so they're non-compliant, and the only (potential) way to make them compliant is to build a native app - which we all know isn't going to happen.

No one is picking on BB10 - rather, ALL mobile OSs that aren't iOS or Android, and aren't current enough versions of those, are going to be unable to run banking apps soon. You'll be able to use the web interface if they have one, but certain functionalities (mobile payments is a big one) won't work anymore.

If those features are important to you, you'll have to move to a supported mobile platform (i.e., iOS or Android, where 99.8% of banking customers already are).
    anon(9188202), TGR1 and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-18-17 08:29 PM
    It's not that. They don't want fragmentation, and want a consistent user experience. They also can't check the integrity of the app on BB10, so it's a security issue.
    integrity? this is the same app android users get from the same source! doesnt playstore vett their apps somehow? security? this is BlackBerry.

as for user experience, who cares! I want access to my funds not a consistant user experience. your arguments are crap. in fact, why do you always defend the wrongdoers in these situations conite?

anyway. this is why I keep revisions. install 2.6.0. it works.

Posted via CBX
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    07-18-17 08:54 PM
    troy, this is BS. I use bb10 BECAUSE android is insecure. I require mobile deposits. it works fine. I require my bank to continue to allow me to deposit and access my funds. its a small ask in exchange for getting ridiculously wealthy off of MY money.

Posted via CBX
    07-18-17 08:57 PM
    integrity? this is the same app android users get from the same source! doesnt playstore vett their apps somehow? security? this is BlackBerry.

as for user experience, who cares! I want access to my funds not a consistant user experience. your arguments are crap. in fact, why do you always defend the wrongdoers in these situations conite?

anyway. this is why I keep revisions. install 2.6.0. it works.

Posted via CBX
    Same app originally, yes. But it can be fiddled with after, and some of the methods to self-test and report aren't the same on BB10.

The BANK cares about consistent user experience. You may cut them slack, but many others will blame the bank for a poor performing app.

Scotiabank is not a "wrong doer" because they want to limit their app to fully compliant devices - used by 99.9% of the world btw.
    Last edited by conite; 07-18-17 at 09:40 PM.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-18-17 09:27 PM
    And more importantly, ALL banks in North America are updating their apps (and locking out old ones) due to new laws and treaties regarding mobile payments, which require changes to security. These changes can't be verified on phones that aren't running "real" Android, so they're non-compliant, and the only (potential) way to make them compliant is to build a native app - which we all know isn't going to happen.

No one is picking on BB10 - rather, ALL mobile OSs that aren't iOS or Android, and aren't current enough versions of those, are going to be unable to run banking apps soon. You'll be able to use the web interface if they have one, but certain functionalities (mobile payments is a big one) won't work anymore.

If those features are important to you, you'll have to move to a supported mobile platform (i.e., iOS or Android, where 99.8% of banking customers already are).
    God, you're such a buzzkill Troy! Don't you know I get good feels from believing there's a global conspiracy being plotted against my cell phone?
    07-18-17 09:54 PM
    troy, this is BS. I use bb10 BECAUSE android is insecure. I require mobile deposits. it works fine. I require my bank to continue to allow me to deposit and access my funds. its a small ask in exchange for getting ridiculously wealthy off of MY money.

Posted via CBX
    If you choose to use a dead platform then you have to learn to live with the consequences.
    Carl Estes, TGR1 and BigBadWulf like this.
    07-18-17 09:57 PM
    If you choose to use a dead platform then you have to learn to live with the consequences.
    nothing dead about it...works better than anything available.

can someone close this thread? the sychophancy is nauseating.

Posted via CBX
    Thaefner18 likes this.
    07-18-17 10:02 PM
    nothing dead about it...works better than anything available.

can someone close this thread? the sychophancy is nauseating.

Posted via CBX
    Works better than anything available... And yet here you are... Like a kid whose candy was taken away from him.

Yeah, this thread should be closed. Nothing to see here.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-18-17 11:22 PM
    I have month old twin boys. They cry a lot. The OP should hang out with them. They'll have something in common.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    07-19-17 12:35 AM
    I guess you need to take it up with the bank, and somehow convince them to support BB10 (even though BB effectively stopped doing so several years ago). Good luck with that.

As I said, you'll find that all the other banks are doing the same thing: killing off their old apps and rolling out new ones that are compliant with the agreements they've made to implement modern mobile payments, which for virtually all banks means iOS and Android are the only supported platforms.

Don't be shocked when, someday soon, you won't be able to log into your account with your outdated app. It's coming.
    07-19-17 12:43 AM
    It's good that you found a version of the app that works for you. But don't keep up hope of using it forever. Depending on company policy and/or changes done to the backend part of the app, that version of the app may work for 1 week, 1 month or 1 year (maybe even longer than that). It could stop working at any time, that's the problem with using out-of-date software that interacts with a remote server.
    07-19-17 02:02 AM
    This is not unique to just this app. I have plenty of apps that don't work anymore. The world is moving forward. And I don't think running the app on a BlackBerry 10 phone is inherently anymore secure especially with an outdated app version.

Posted via CB10
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    07-19-17 06:39 AM
    You'd expect a security issue to be blocked on the server side, discontinued apps should not be able to access sensitive information.

A user should not be able to rollback an update to re-gain access if security is of concern.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-17 08:20 AM
    You'd expect a security issue to be blocked on the server side, discontinued apps should not be able to access sensitive information.

A user should not be able to rollback an update to re-gain access if security is of concern.

Posted via CB10
    Which is all part of the mess in running apps on a non-compliant platform. Many of the controls are missing.
    07-19-17 08:31 AM
68 123