Alternatively, for $150/mo on Telus, I can BYOD (with an actual smartphone!) and get unlimited nationwide calls + 10GB shared data.

Or, I can get data speeds that make dialup look like fiber for the same price. Helpful if I end up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
    My Harbor Mobile plan is a third of that price with unlimited data, but alas requires cell towers to work.

Iridium and that satellite services that actually work are irreplaceable. There are places like the Nevada Test Site that have SOME cellular service and even a multi-site repeater system that still require satellite phone use in some remote areas.

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 01:07 PM
    My Harbor Mobile plan is a third of that price with unlimited data, but alas requires cell towers to work.

Iridium and that satellite services that actually work are irreplaceable. There are places like the Nevada Test Site that have SOME cellular service and even a multi-site repeater system that still require satellite phone use in some remote areas.

Posted via CB10
    Perhaps, but in the absence of anything to the contrary, I'm assuming that OP doesn't have to go to the Nevada Test Site on a regular basis.
    02-10-16 01:11 PM
    Not Nevada! Just Labrador for a month! Looking for a used Satellite phone online. The one month plan is looking like it might be good insurance to have!

Posted via CB10
    02-10-16 04:37 PM
    Maybe, but using one as a day to day phone is lunacy.
    02-10-16 10:09 PM
    Not Nevada! Just Labrador for a month! Looking for a used Satellite phone online. The one month plan is looking like it might be good insurance to have!

Posted via CB10
    Call Blue cosmo. They can cut deals. You are going to have to pay an activation fee every time you resume service unless things have changed. I'd still rent a phone, though if you can deal with just texting, the Delorme Inreach is a better deal. I don't bother suspending my Inreach service since it is so cheap.

Regarding the comment about being on the Nevada Test Site, it appears what we have here is a failure to communicate. I pointed out that even government facilities, which presumably have money to burn, can't provide land mobile radio without holes. Thus they also use sat phones. Same goes for media in Nevada. Reporters check out a phone before heading out into the brush.

I've hiked a number of mountains in remote parts of Nevada and there is no cellular service. It is satellite or nothing.

Regarding satellite voice service, depending on your plan, you may have to be routed through a call center. It may not be like direct dialing. So while texting via satellite sounds a bit clumsy, voice under some services isn't all that slick either.

Another alternative is "portable" satellite Internet. You can Skype over it, if you don't mind the insane latency. Satellite phones use low earth orbit birds, but satellite Internet is on geosynchronous birds which are very far away. Skype over satellite Internet works best if you say "over" or "go ahead" like on ham radio.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 01:46 AM
    But there are other OS's available like Sailfish and Tizen.
    That's like abandoning a family member on life support to live with a family member in hospice. Sailfish and Tizen are both complete dead ends.

Posted via CB10
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    02-11-16 05:28 AM
    That's like abandoning a family member on life support to live with a family member in hospice. Sailfish and Tizen are both complete dead ends.

Posted via CB10
    So much suffering could be eliminated if people just put a little effort into learning to use an iphone as it is designed to work not as a BlackBerry replacement.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-16 11:05 AM
    So much suffering could be eliminated if people just put a little effort into learning to use an iphone as it is designed to work not as a BlackBerry replacement.

Posted via CB10
    Right!
    Apple upgrade shuts down iPhones repaired by 3rd-party technicians - Technology & Science - CBC News
    Just what I need!
    02-11-16 03:57 PM
    I've always bought them with the extended warranty and Apple fixed or replaced them. It's usually was my fault they broke. I have found BB customer service laughable by comparison.
    02-11-16 05:06 PM
    My daily driver sat phone
    Satellite phone in lieu of BB10-satphone2016.jpg

Posted with my Blackberry Classic SQC100-1/10.3.2.2639
    02-11-16 06:05 PM
35 12