Haven't received the latest OS update for one Z30 and one Z10 which is slightly annoying but the most annoying aspect about BB10 is the uncertainty. I am optimistic that new BB10 phones are in the works for 2017 but what If BlackBerry does away with BB10. That leaves Android and Apple as the only viable option left. I don't consider windows as a viable option. I do not want android or apple and have started to look at satellite as an option should, heaven forbid BB10 be abandoned. Who uses satellite phones and what is your opinion on a satellite phone?

Posted via CB10
    greenjoe likes this.
    02-07-16 02:55 PM
    Haven't received the latest OS update for one Z30 and one Z10 which is slightly annoying but the most annoying aspect about BB10 is the uncertainty. I am optimistic that new BB10 phones are in the works for 2017 but what If BlackBerry does away with BB10. That leaves Android and Apple as the only viable option left. I don't consider windows as a viable option. I do not want android or apple and have started to look at satellite as an option should, heaven forbid BB10 be abandoned. Who uses satellite phones and what is your opinion on a satellite phone?

Posted via CB10
    Are you kidding? If not start saving your pennies, actually start saving you 100 dollar bills and for data maybe some stamps. And by the way BB10 is being discontinued but probably not for a few years.
    02-07-16 03:11 PM
    its not practical for many reasons. Use BB10 untill it cant be used. That should be several years still
    GadgetTravel and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-07-16 03:51 PM
    A sat phone might make sense if you are really off the grid, like past the end of civilization. If there are cell towers use a cellphone.
    02-07-16 09:53 PM
    I used one in a rural area, rural Zambia. I guess lion prides mean it when they are NAMBYS. Rural Cambodia or on a boat off the coast Vietnam cellphones were fine.
    Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-07-16 11:40 PM
    You are really not going to like data costs on satellite.
    http://www.bluecosmo.com/
    I've research this a bit but ended up getting a Delorme Inreach for use in the boonies. You want to be on the Iridium network.

BTW, the Delorme Android software works fine on bb10 with the Android Player

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 02:34 AM
    If you're going to cut off your nose to spite your face, you might as well at least save some money and just get a flip phone. Just be careful, though - many of the current ones on the market do run Android...
    DrBoomBotz and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-08-16 10:27 AM
    Well, how about using smoke signals fueled by cash?

Would cost about the same.
    02-08-16 10:38 AM
    Well, how about using smoke signals fueled by cash?

Would cost about the same.
    Well, when I rented one ( an Iridium) while we were in Africa it sure worked. The people running the bush camp would would charge it occasionally (a generator for their radio and to charge things was the only electricity available) and I could call the states to check on things. Not sure smoke has that range. Budget wise that's about right though.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    02-08-16 11:30 AM
    Well, when I rented one ( an Iridium) while we were in Africa it sure worked. The people running the bush camp would would charge it occasionally (a generator for their radio and to charge things was the only electricity available) and I could call the states to check on things. Not sure smoke has that range. Budget wise that's about right though.
    The competition to Iridium is Globalstar, and Globalstar is terrible. I had a Spot messenger and it often failed. The Iridium device (Delorme Inreach) thus far has worked every time.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-16 01:37 PM
    If you're going to cut off your nose to spite your face, you might as well at least save some money and just get a flip phone. Just be careful, though - many of the current ones on the market do run Android...
    That's almost more extreme... like cutting off your face to spite your nose!
    DrBoomBotz and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    02-08-16 01:48 PM
    That's almost more extreme... like cutting off your face to spite your nose!
    Leave Micheal Jackson out of this.
    Troy Tiscareno and elfabio80 like this.
    02-08-16 01:51 PM
    Does Vertu still make phones?
    02-08-16 05:36 PM
    Unless you are going somewhere isolated, getting a satellite phone seems a bit extreme. BB 10 phones will last a few years yet. But there are other OS's available like Sailfish and Tizen.
    02-08-16 05:54 PM
    Seems a bit extreme but if that's your desire go for it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android on Priv.
    02-08-16 07:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    https://www.roadpost.ca/Iridium-Phon...-P564C194.aspx

Sat phones start at $1450.00
    basic plan is $69.00 per month for 10 voice minutes and 10 text messages

OP you must have way more money than I do.
    02-08-16 07:29 PM
    Good lord, man. A Sat Phone? Data speed 10 kbps if you are lucky, 2.5 kbps if you are not. And the snail paced data speed is actually the good news.

Sat Phone voice rates would make King Midas pucker. But Iridium does have a 1,000 minute plan for just under $1,500. Not bad. $1.50 a minute. So your average 1 hour teleconference will only cost you $90. YIKES!

I feel King Midas puckering again.

If I were a War Correspondent and absolutely positively had to be in touch, sure. As long as the Network was paying. Otherwise, hell no.
    redcubicle likes this.
    02-08-16 07:34 PM
    I checked on Vertu and it seems like a much better deal than a sat phone. Their low end used handset prices are about the same as sat phones. Their smartphones are now android but they also make non-smartphones that aren't Android. And they look a LOT better than sat phones.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 02-08-16 at 10:35 PM.
    02-08-16 10:03 PM
    I used a sat phone once.... And that was because I was on top of a mountain checking on a natural water reservoir for a power station and I had to call the helicopter pilot to come pick me and my colleague up.
    02-08-16 11:16 PM
    I was planning on a fishing trip to Labrador and was told that there wasn't any cell phone service. I haven't really done a lot of research but the word free did get my attention. Maybe they are getting cheaper.

Satellite phone in lieu of BB10-img_20160209_210225.png
    02-09-16 07:14 PM
    So for $150/mo you get a sat phone that looks like a multimeter and unlimited calling minutes, so I'm assuming data is extra.

So unless you live in a fourth world dump/the middle of nowhere, just bite the bullet and get a regular smartphone when the time comes.
    02-09-16 07:30 PM
    So for $150/mo you get a sat phone that looks like a multimeter and unlimited calling minutes, so I'm assuming data is extra.

So unless you live in a fourth world dump/the middle of nowhere, just bite the bullet and get a regular smartphone when the time comes.
    data speed is less than dial up as it is i think lol
    02-09-16 07:57 PM

. Bundled rates are as low as $0.08* per 15-second data session.
    02-09-16 10:04 PM
    There are many data burst application for satellite, such as the Delorme Inreach I use. Spider tracking for helicopters and some aircraft that do a cc lot of low level flight.

The deal with cheap data rates, at least with the Delorme Inreach, is that you get a "degraded" service. Not that you lose connectivity, but rather Iridium doesn't put a priority on your message.

The Delorme Inreach is a two way messenger, though most people use the incoming service as an "ACK" for the message hitting the bird. (The SPOT on Globalstar is one way. You have no idea if the message was received.). Only once did I have to wait to use the bird. It took maybe a bit shy of 10 minutes to get the ACK.

For anyone that goes out of cellular range for extended periods, the Inreach is a good deal. The basic service is $10 a month, which gets you ten tweets. It has a SOS mode for actual emergencies. The bad news is the cheap unit that needs a smartphone to message is no longer sold. They have a more expensive version that has a texting means built in, but we are not talking touch screen or keyboard. Rather you move a cursor to pick off letters.

I also carry ham gear when in remote areas.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-16 11:02 PM
    Alternatively, for $150/mo on Telus, I can BYOD (with an actual smartphone!) and get unlimited nationwide calls + 10GB shared data.

Or, I can get data speeds that make dialup look like fiber for the same price. Helpful if I end up in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.
    02-09-16 11:17 PM
35 12