08-21-14 11:46 AM
42 12
tools
    There are three basic reasons that BlackBerry is dominated by Samsung: 1. BlackBerry has never had a strong marketing plan. 2. BlackBerry doesn't advertise. 3. BlackBerry doesn't let anyone know they exist. Oh - Wait! That all adds up to one basic reason: BlackBerry? What's a BlackBerry?
    This is true....consider samsung's current quirky commercial where the main focus is being able to replace the battery. they make it look like it's "the next best thing", and people WILL believe it's something innovative when we all know it's not....and if you ask anyone walking down the street they'll likely tell you samsung is the only phone that can do that.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 03:11 PM
    This is true....consider samsung's current quirky commercial where the main focus is being able to replace the battery. they make it look like it's "the next best thing", and people WILL believe it's something innovative when we all know it's not....and if you ask anyone walking down the street they'll likely tell you samsung is the only phone that can do that.

Posted via CB10
    The beauty of marketing

Posted with no typos using the Q10
    07-18-14 08:51 PM
    Bb10 can also show to world how strong and powerful it is for emailing. Virtually, by having forever option, I don't require laptop anymore. No other phone has such capability.

Prithvi Z30, pin:2B631BE4 by CB102
    07-18-14 09:00 PM
    Bb10 can also show to world how strong and powerful it is for emailing. Virtually, by having forever option, I don't require laptop anymore. No other phone has such capability.
    Others do.

I think it's important to leave the unrealistic superlatives behind. Other platforms can do email fine; in fact, for folks that use corporate Gapps, the argument could be made that nothing is better than the Gmail app.

I think BBRY needs to do a better job of showing folks it is flexible enough to, say, handle more types of email better.
    gebco and Desmo74 like this.
    07-18-14 09:55 PM
    Well I think that the Bold, Q10, and other BlackBerry's that have a keyboard make emailing a better experience than normal touch screens in general.

07-19-14 06:20 PM
    Well I think that the Bold, Q10, and other BlackBerry's that have a keyboard make emailing a better experience than normal touch screens in general.

For some people, I agree.

I'd never go back to a physical keyboard if I could help it. I'm faster on virtual, which I would never have guessed before getting comfortable with one.
    07-19-14 06:31 PM
    Fair enough. I make so many mistakes on a virtual keyboard.

07-19-14 07:02 PM
    This is my second of 3 'blog' posts I had to do for internship this summer. This one is more of a fact-finding one, but I hope you find it interesting all the same

So what is BlackBerry doing to fix it (which obviously is not advertising).

With BB10 not performing as well as it hoped, and it's shares tumbling at an alarming rate, BlackBerry was getting more desperate. It needed to adopt a new strategy if there was any chance to prevent the once great mobile technologies company from failing.

With the appointment of John S. Chen, BlackBerry's newest CEO and replacement of Thorsten Heins, the company quickly got to work, with Chen taking out an ad in the Wall Street Journal announcing his continued interest in consumers and the handset business. The decision to continue on with the handset business of the company was something that many were doubting BlackBerry would do and has been continuously stirring up a lot of controversy as to whether or not it was the right decision. Somewhat in contrast to his statement in the Wall Street Journal however, was John Chen's decision to highlight the fact that BlackBerry was no longer a handset manufacturer, but a company that offered complete mobile solutions, including enterprise software, security, and conveniently, handsets. This business model would help calm investors and show that BlackBerry is not solely dependent on smartphone sales, but actually well diversified throughout the mobile market, all together an understandable decision.

The 'interim' CEO then initiated different cost cutting programs that aimed at helping the company 'tighten the hatches'. This included selling most of BlackBerry's property in Canada, as well as laying off 4,500 jobs. One of Chen's more highly regarded moves was his decision to enter in a five year partnership with Foxconn, a Taiwanese electronics manufacturer known for its mass production of Apple's products. The agreement meant that BlackBerry has negated a significant portion of the risk of having poor smartphone sales and excess inventory, something BlackBerry was seeing too much of lately. So far, the cost cutting programs have paid off, with the company's operating expenses down 57% last quarter compared to the same time a year ago.

Chen then announced a restructuring program, again aimed at the continued diversifying of BlackBerry, with an emphasis on mobile enterprise solutions (in short, when companies give their employees work phones) as well as the expansion of BlackBerry Messenger, a.k.a. BBM (which apparently is quite popular, though I don't know a single person that uses it), into Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.

More exciting (at least for me) is BlackBerry's new phones that are hitting the market this year. On May 14th, the smartphone manufacturer officially unveiled the Z3, a low cost smartphone aimed at trying to grab a higher market share in developing Asian markets such as Indonesia, India, and the Philippines. It might be too early to tell, but the phone appears to be selling rather well. More relatable to the U.S. markets is the unveiling of two physical keyboard smartphones, the Passport, due in September and promising to bring the innovation that BlackBerry was known for (seriously, look it up), and the Classic, due in November and trying to convince old BlackBerry users to join BB10 by re-introducing the infamous trackpad (again, look it up). All three phones will help bring BlackBerry back into the positive spotlight and propel it's turn around. To appease the more business minded, in the event the new phones flop, which to many standards the previous BB10 models did, BlackBerry has already mitigated the risk and cost so much that the consequences will hopefully be minimal (not an optimistic view, but a reasonable one).

In a general standpoint, the past year has been an important one for the mobile technologies company, and at the reins, John Chen has made some impressive and decisive decisions. So far, the company has impressed investors and beat analyst expectations (in other words, the company's stock is up), and as far as publicly traded companies go, that might just be enough to "save the patient" and keep the pride of Canada that is BlackBerry alive.

P.S. I typed this entire blog on my BlackBerry Q10

Sources:

http://www.fastcolabs.com/3025892/is...turn-it-around
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/21/te...jobs.html?_r=0
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-0...urnaround.html
    http://crackberry.com/blackberry-z3
    http://press.blackberry.com/press/20...a-edition.html
    http://www.gsmarena.com/blackberry_c...-news-8827.php
    http://www.cnet.com/news/blackberrys...to-the-future/

08-20-14 02:26 PM
    "P.S. I typed this entire blog on my BlackBerry Q10 "

1. Your blog is dated and doesn't refer to anything in THIS thread and anything we don't already know.
    2. Was writing that whole thing really necessary when you could have just as easily provided a link to where it actually lives? Not to mention resurrecting an old thread just to showcase your blog?
    3. You've done this in several threads. (considered spam) If you want attention you could have posted a link on twitter and hastag it blackberry or something and you would get more views than you would here...just sayn'.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 04:56 PM

1. Your blog is dated and doesn't refer to anything in THIS thread and anything we don't already know.
    2. Was writing that whole thing really necessary when you could have just as easily provided a link to where it actually lives? Not to mention resurrecting an old thread just to showcase your blog?
    3. You've done this in several threads. (considered spam) If you want attention you could have posted a link on twitter and hastag it blackberry or something and you would get more views than you would here...just sayn'.

Posted via CB10
    Why ya gotta be so rude.. don't you know we're humans tooooo..

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 07:16 PM
    Why ya gotta be so rude.. don't you know we're humans tooooo..

Posted via CB10
    Nobody was rude, just pointing out the facts. He can take it and learn from it so he doesn't repeat the same mistake if he's still in school...once he gets out in the real world and he tries to be a writer he will know what "rude" actually is.

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 11:23 PM
    BB10 marketing was definitely in full swing early 2013. Unfortunately, everyone on here knows exactly how that went.
    I actually remember getting sick of seeing that flying carpet ad on CNN every 15 minutes. On top of that, (I'll never understand this) when BlackBerry launched in New York and the Z10 was delayed in the U.S.A, the commercial was being played to a crowd that couldn't purchase it yet. A complete waste of time, effort and money.
    It's easy to look back and criticize, but I honestly believe BlackBerry should have never taken their eye off the ball by focusing on fluff. No question, they had and have everything to be proud of in BB10. Seriously, it's a marketing teams dream to have so much to work with in this QNX operating system. Security, Productivity, Messaging and Business. If you think this message doesn't bring in the average consumer, think about when BlackBerry sold the most units. Think about when BBM became a teenagers obsession. This all happened when part of BlackBerry's perceived perception was a business oriented device. It was only when the original crew became cocky followed by Hiens and Frank B trying to convey what BlackBerry is not, that it all went south. Have a close look at the attached chart. It spells a telling tale.
    On a positive note, it was a wise move on Chen's behalf to wait for10.3 and the Passport for any sort of marketing push. Ever since Mr. Chen started, I've read many Crackberry member posts wanting marketing now, now now. When you really think about it, it wouldn't have made any sense what so ever.

Samsung vs Blackberry- Why Samsung dominates and Blackberry... Samsung is largely considered to have-1408559751801.jpg

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    codeslinga likes this.
    08-21-14 01:22 AM
    On a positive note, it was a wise move on Chen's behalf to wait for10.3 and the Passport for any sort of marketing push. Ever since Mr. Chen started, I've read many Crackberry member posts wanting marketing now, now now. When you really think about it, it wouldn't have made any sense what so ever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1408559751801.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	292086

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    Valid points but early marketing can also benefit a product... when we get "leaks" of the new iphone people start looking for info right away and even the media picks up on it due to the sudden frenzy. aside from that they start promoting it a good month or 2 before release which makes people anxious with anticipation driving demand way up before release. Same goes for the galaxy phones. They make people want it, or at the very least ask about it to their providers...

if blackberry started showing off the passport and 10.3 features to the mass market now then it would make people curious and providers that have all but abandoned blackberry will be forced to give it a second chance and maybe turn the company around for the better.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-14 02:52 AM
    Valid points but early marketing can also benefit a product... when we get "leaks" of the new iphone people start looking for info right away and even the media picks up on it due to the sudden frenzy. aside from that they start promoting it a good month or 2 before release which makes people anxious with anticipation driving demand way up before release. Same goes for the galaxy phones. They make people want it, or at the very least ask about it to their providers...

if blackberry started showing off the passport and 10.3 features to the mass market now then it would make people curious and providers that have all but abandoned blackberry will be forced to give it a second chance and maybe turn the company around for the better.

Posted via CB10
    You make some great points. Let's just hope there is a reason for the plan they have laid out.

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    08-21-14 08:29 AM
    BlackBerry's biggest mistake, in my opinion, was not letting the world know that BB10 was completely different than BB7. I get asked about my BlackBerry Z30 all the time, and when I tell people what it is, they say "I didn't even know BlackBerry had a new phone". The average person in the US has no idea that BlackBerry 10 is different than BB7 in any way. Even when I explain that it is new, they still think it is similar to BB7. BlackBerry needed to come out and say something along the lines of:

"We heard you and we listened. Introducing the world's newest mobile operating system, BlackBerry 10. Gone are the days of slow downs and battery pulls. Redesigned from ground up with incredibly intuitive gesture controls, smooth UI, and the ability to run Android apps. There is no longer a need to carry two devices around with you. BlackBerry 10 allows you to be more productive than ever before, freeing up your time to take a break and have a little fun on your new BlackBerry Z/Q 5/10/30 [showing clips of popular games and apps that people actually want to use]."

Obviously not word for word (I'm a math guy, not a writer), but they needed to make it very clear that BB10 is completely different than BB7.

Posted via my BlackBerry Z30
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-21-14 09:16 AM
    No it was two things... Mike and Jim.

Some may say was just the iPhone... but I think even without the iPhone, BlackBerry was in trouble. They were living off their one hit wonder (push email) and taking it easy. I still find it hard to believe that a more advance OS than Java wasn't already under development at BlackBerry until 2010.
    Beat me to it. RIM continued to see dollar signs, scoffed at the iPhone, they never saw the need for change because they were still making money. The thinking was "whatever we decide to release with BlackBerry on it, our consumer base will buy. Never changing nor updating. When the light bulb popped up over their heads- it was too late.

@OP, nice article. IMHO, BlackBerry had a great run and will one day be competitive again. But, the carriers have to give a d*mn about the devices- again and there has to be better marketing. I've had my z10 for over a year and I still get ppl saying "that's a BlackBerry?", "Wow!" Then go to a carrier store and none available- while Androids and iPhones almost have the store pimped out because of so many devices on-hand.
    08-21-14 10:53 AM

Posted via CB10
    Solid points. I never thought of it like that. I'll be weary of that. Didn't mean to spam

08-21-14 11:46 AM
42 12