Is there a possibility that BlackBerry could license it's software to samsung.? Could you imagine an S6 running bb10? I personally would buy an S6 if it was running bb10. What R your thoughts CB community?.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8908445) likes this.
    01-24-15 12:53 AM
    No I wouldn't buy one but I have no quarrels with them partnering.

Posted via CB10
    der_mit likes this.
    01-24-15 12:55 AM
    If anything, Samsung would licence its software to BlackBerry.
    01-24-15 05:39 AM
    Only if Samsung will cease to sell Android powered devices

Under the OHA terms they cannot sell devices with incompatible forks of Android (see here: Open Handset Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

For the moment, they cannot do that.
    01-24-15 05:49 AM

Under the OHA terms they cannot sell devices with incompatible forks of Android (see here: Open Handset Alliance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

But they could probably make hardware that would run either Android or BB10 and BlackBerry could install BB10 and sell them.

Or users could buy them and install what ever OS they want at the time.
    Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    01-24-15 09:40 AM
    But they could probably make hardware that would run either Android or BB10 and BlackBerry could install BB10 and sell them.

Or users could buy them and install what ever OS they want at the time.
    Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Actually, that Wikipedia article says that
    "As part of its efforts to promote a unified Android platform, OHA members are contractually forbidden from producing devices that are based off incompatible forks of Android."
    I haven't done other research on the subject, so I am not sure this is true.
    01-24-15 10:04 AM

I don't get it, they sell Windows powered devices too.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:06 AM
    I don't get it, they sell Windows powered devices too.

Posted via CB10
    Windows doesn't have an Android Runtime.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-24-15 11:28 AM
    Windows doesn't have an Android Runtime.
    Ah, okay got it.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-15 11:47 AM
    Interesting, one could argue BB10 is not an incompatible Android OS. It is clearly not an Android OS, however it does accommodate android programs. BB10 is far from being an "incompatible fork of Android".

Fork Android.

Posted by Me.
    01-24-15 04:42 PM
    If anything, Samsung would licence its software to BlackBerry.
    OK, specifically what Samsung software would BlackBerry license?

Posted via CB10
    micher likes this.
    01-24-15 07:00 PM
    OK, specifically what Samsung software would BlackBerry license?
    Tizen
    01-24-15 07:04 PM
    Tizen
    Surely you jest.

Posted via CB10
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-24-15 07:53 PM
    Tizen
    LoL

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 03:05 AM

BB10 is not a fork of android like cynogen, amazon or blackphone

Tizen
    That would end up worse than BB10.

There's just no more room for a new OS. I think we have witnessed this with personal computers.

They can only be 2 major players (windows and Mac OS) and maybe one for a niche market (linux)

Just as it is right now for smartphones, 2 major players (android and ios) and maybe windows phone or BB10.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 03:22 AM
    BB10 is not a fork of android like cynogen, amazon or blackphone
    Of course it isn't, but I'm sure the same rationale of the OHA agreement aplies to BB10, as long as it incorporates an Android Runtime.

Have you wondered why BlackBerry offers on 10.3 devices the Amazon Appstore for Android and not the better option of Google Play? What prevents them from including Google Services within the Android Runtime? I doubt it's a technical problem.
    01-25-15 03:42 AM
    Of course it isn't, but I'm sure the same rationale of the OHA agreement aplies to BB10, as long as it incorporates an Android Runtime.

Have you wondered why BlackBerry offers on 10.3 devices the Amazon Appstore for Android and not the better option of Google Play? What prevents them from including Google Services within the Android Runtime? I doubt it's a technical problem.
    That's a different side of the same point, it's specifically because they don't have their own Android OS that they're not allowed to have services because all they're using is the runtime, getting playstore services requires more integration akin to having the OS,

Although I am wondering why is Cynagen etc. Are 'forked' versions, how they're allowed to have playstore but Samsung aren't allowed to sell phones with them

Check Out TechCraze
    01-25-15 04:00 AM
    That's a different side of the same point, it's specifically because they don't have their own Android OS that they're not allowed to have services because all they're using is the runtime, getting playstore services requires more integration akin to having the OS
    It didn't prevent this guy to do a great job bringing them to BB10 - http://forums.crackberry.com/android...g-page-965257/ - so that "deep OS integration" doesn't seem to be such an impossible obstacle to climb.
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-25-15 04:13 AM
    Surely you jest.
    Nope. Look at how Nokia shunned Symbian for Windows Phone after Microsoft ponied up $1 billion over 5 years. Symbian actually had a bigger market share at that time than BB10 does today.

If Samsung puts up the money, I could see BlackBerry scrapping BB10 for Tizen.
    01-25-15 05:26 AM
    Nope. Look at how Nokia shunned Symbian for Windows Phone after Microsoft ponied up $1 billion over 5 years. Symbian actually had a bigger market share at that time than BB10 does today.

In this case, the question would be: why would Samsung want to do such thing?

At the time of the Microsoft deal, Nokia had a great brand, a huge marketshare and was renowned for its hardware proficiency. BlackBerry only has at the moment its security technology and a still important (but decreasing) government & enterprise reach - both of which would go down the drain if they will adopt Tizen.
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-25-15 06:00 AM

So samsung needs BlackBerry to sell tizen based phones? Because blackberry makes such great hardware I presume? Or is it because it is such a powerful brand at the moment that anything blackberry puts out sells in the tens of millions?

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-25-15 06:01 AM
    So samsung needs BlackBerry to sell tizen based phones? Because blackberry makes such great hardware I presume? Or is it because it is such a powerful brand at the moment that anything blackberry puts out sells in the tens of millions?
    They don't need BlackBerry to do so but it would be ideal. That way, they can focus on their own Android lineup while outsourcing Tizen production. They would leverage BlackBerry's carrier partnerships around the world as well as technology from BlackBerry 10.
    01-25-15 06:10 AM
    Yes, but only when it has a physical keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 06:13 AM
    BlackBerry only has at the moment its security technology and a still important (but decreasing) government & enterprise reach - both of which would go down the drain if they will adopt Tizen.
    If they would merge the operating systems together with BlackBerry's security and Samsung's ability to reach out to developers, they could actually make a go of it.

You made a key point that BlackBerry handhelds are losing out in enterprise, especially BYOD and MDM environments.
    01-25-15 06:16 AM
    They don't need BlackBerry to do so but it would be ideal. That way, they can focus on their own Android lineup while outsourcing Tizen production. They would leverage BlackBerry's carrier partnerships around the world as well as technology from BlackBerry 10.
    LOL okay. Everyone has their opinion. But I highly doubt that BlackBerry has stronger carrier partnerships compared to samsung.

http://n4bb.com/samsung-allegedly-wa...spite-denials/

I believe its samsung who wants BlackBerry's patents which are ALL software and NOT hardware.

Thats the main value BlackBerry has. Its in its security algorithms and cryptography and its all, software.

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-25-15 06:17 AM
63 123