• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Newsletter — sign up now! Learn More
12-27-17 06:25 PM
79 ... 234
tools
    Doesn't matter where your investors reside. It's a publicly listed company based in America and as far as I understand it, the executives have a legal responsibility to maximize the return for their shareholders (unless the shareholders vote otherwise), as much as can be legally allowed.

If you want Google (or Apple or whoever) to pay their "fair" share of taxes and not have offshore offices, you go to the shareholders meeting and put in your motion and have the shareholders vote on it.

Do I think Google is being "ethical"? No, but they are following their legal obligations. Seeing as I do not own any Google shares, there's not much I can do at the moment.

Please check my reply to app_Developer (the first paragraph)
    12-27-17 06:18 PM
    Does it matter? Even if I don't comply with your standards, don't I have the right to express my opinion?
    Sure it does. I don't think you pay a fair share of taxes here. We have the need for your money.

Sounds crazy. Well that's my point. You're obligated to follow the law and that's it...
    12-27-17 06:21 PM
    The point you're missing is that company paid it's correct share of taxes according to its domicile government laws. If you don't like it, you have to change the laws. Companies executives are legally and ethically mandated to act in shareholders best interests. Period.

The point you're missing is that company paid it's correct share of taxes according to its domicile government laws. If you don't like it, you have to change the laws. Companies executives are legally and ethically mandated to act in shareholders best interests. Period.
    There are schools of thought around the world with numerous academic publications arguing about the conclusion you have so easily jumped into. Only time will show if we are heading to the right direction. Period.
    12-27-17 06:23 PM
    Doesn't matter where your investors reside..
    I've never questioned it. It's just that I seriously doubt that Sailfish OS won't be collecting data if it is owned by people who seem to be from the Russian govt circles and the OS is being implemented as a Russian "national OS" certified by FSB. I am not saying that it'd be any worse than Google or Apple, it'd be the same. And if so then saying that it will be an ALTERNATIVE to data-gathering OSes doesn't sound too valid. The only difference in such case will be where your data will go to. And if my only choice will be between being surveilled by either NSA or FSB, then I definitely prefer the former. But of course it is my very personal preference.
    Last edited by BurningPlatform; 12-27-17 at 08:36 PM.
    12-27-17 06:25 PM
79 ... 234