I've heard some things about the Jolla phone. Its sailfish os uses gestures, although the phone seems low specs to me. It's also a bit old now but I'm wondering how the sailfish os compares to bb10. Will sailfish be updated? Will the Jolla phone ever reach north america?

Passport!
    enrod87 likes this.
    09-14-16 08:46 PM
    Sailfish its a hobbyist phone. The backing company is way worse off than Blackberry. Its more open than Blackberry so you have versions created by enthusiast for existing phones like Nexus since it can use the same Linux component drivers.
    09-14-16 08:52 PM
    I've used SailfishOS for a year (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) to test it out (I switched from webOS btw) along with TOHKBD2 but I was very disappointed. The Jolla Phone kept bricking itself from time to time so I had to send it in for repairs. Really liked the OS though... until 2.0 came around which made the whole UI less consistent and things like using the pulley menus became cumbersome to use. Also, TOHKBD2 was a great thing but the keys were very hard to type on, it required very firm presses so typing was slow.

So I don't recommend it. Stay with BB10, it's more consistent, more stable and much nicer to use.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red)
    Avenzuno likes this.
    09-15-16 12:58 AM
    Somebody has the Jolla C...it seems it runs pretty well!

I heard also about a smartphone sold in India for circa 75 euros that is running saiflish os!!

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 03:56 AM
    If BB10 is no longer made. I go for the jolla sailfish 2.0.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 04:33 AM
    I heard also about a smartphone sold in India for circa 75 euros that is running saiflish os!!

Posted via CB10
    That's the Intex Aqua Fish: Intex Aqua Fish Smartphone with Sailfish OS 2.0
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-15-16 06:50 AM
    Forget Sailfish OS.
    I own both, the JollaC as well the Intel Aqua Fish.
    Regarding hardware both are the same, however the Intex has some additional software for the Indian market.

Had the JollaC as a daily driver for the last 3 weeks, but in my opinion it is far from ready if you compare it to BB10 or Android (main issue i had was regarding exchange connectivity / sync).

The other thing: the actual android runtime is based on 4.4.... So problems will be the same as for BB10 users wanting to run android apps.

Regarding the hardware: the device is really low end, especially the camera is even worse than the one in the original Jolla phone.

If you decide to use another device as the OnePlus X or the nexus 4/5 you will miss exchange connectivity as well as android runtime (due to licensing issues).

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-15-16 10:37 AM
    I've used SailfishOS for a year (Summer 2014-Summer 2015) to test it out (I switched from webOS btw) along with TOHKBD2 but I was very disappointed. The Jolla Phone kept bricking itself from time to time so I had to send it in for repairs. Really liked the OS though... until 2.0 came around which made the whole UI less consistent and things like using the pulley menus became cumbersome to use. Also, TOHKBD2 was a great thing but the keys were very hard to type on, it required very firm presses so typing was slow.

So I don't recommend it. Stay with BB10, it's more consistent, more stable and much nicer to use.

Remember that the Other Half Keyboard was not made by Jolla and was third party

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 10:42 AM
    Sailfish isn't really a daily driver if you like messing around, it does lack in a lot of areas features wise but is still very much in development.

BlackBerry 10 will be dead and discontinued in the next few years but is at the moment a overall better operating system.

Posted via CB10
    09-15-16 10:44 AM
    Remember that the Other Half Keyboard was not made by Jolla and was third party

Posted via CB10
    I know that. In fact, the guy who made it is from my country. I was just talking about my whole experience regarding SailfishOS, so that includes TOHKBD2.

09-15-16 05:45 PM
    Sailfish lovers... Russia's got your back.

http://www.androidauthority.com/joll...cation-732850/
    Sailfish OS has been added to the Russian government's list of nationally certified software as it makes moves to reduce reliance on Android and iOS.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    11-29-16 09:01 PM
    Let's see what that means. Hopefully the Oysters SF phone will be available soon.
    11-30-16 05:14 AM