The Priv didn't exist back then.

If a company makes a pure Android device, they aren't allowed to make another with a forked version of Android.

Besides, BlackBerry has no BB10 developers left even if they were allowed.
    Yeah, 10.3.3 won't come either probably 'cause no BB10 developers means no updates...... I mean: if there really aren't any BB10 developers left, then who is gonna bring us 10.3.3? (and who developed the new 10.3.2 leak?)

Posted via CB10
    gugomat likes this.
    12-03-15 01:16 AM
    Yeah, 10.3.3 won't come either probably 'cause no BB10 developers means no updates...... I mean: if there really aren't any BB10 developers left, then who is gonna bring us 10.3.3? (and who developed the new 10.3.2 leak?)

Posted via CB10
    A sustaining team.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-03-15 01:35 AM
    No doubt there is still a skeleton crew of internal BB10 developers - necessary to patch bugs and security holes that might get discovered over the next year. We've been told there would be 2 maintenance updates coming: 10.3.3 in March 2016 and 10.3.4 at some point afterwards. I expect the 10.3.4 to be released late in 2016 and EOL to be officially announced at that time (they can't announce it now - too many unsold BB10 phones still remain). Once that happens, those remaining BB10 devs will either be reassigned or laid off - likely the former.

That's how such transitions are normally handled, anyway.
    early2bed likes this.
    12-03-15 07:50 PM
    No doubt there is still a skeleton crew of internal BB10 developers - necessary to patch bugs and security holes that might get discovered over the next year. We've been told there would be 2 maintenance updates coming: 10.3.3 in March 2016 and 10.3.4 at some point afterwards. I expect the 10.3.4 to be released late in 2016 and EOL to be officially announced at that time (they can't announce it now - too many unsold BB10 phones still remain). Once that happens, those remaining BB10 devs will either be reassigned or laid off - likely the former.

That's how such transitions are normally handled, anyway.
    Probably, but the argument I replied to was 'no BB10 developers left', that's why I replied.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-15 01:17 AM
    Probably, but the argument I replied to was 'no BB10 developers left', that's why I replied.
    Perhaps, but the issue at contention was really whether BB could make major updates to BB10. The fact is that they don't have the developer staff to do so, despite the skeleton crew that remains. You can't expect 15 guys to do the work of 200 and get the work finished in a relevant amount of time.
    12-04-15 05:34 PM
    shame

Posted via CB10
    12-11-15 06:20 AM
    Is there a way we can force a runtime update on bb10

Posted via CB10
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-13-15 07:10 AM
    Classy

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 06:05 PM
    We've been told there would be 2 maintenance updates coming: 10.3.3 in March 2016 and 10.3.4 at some point afterwards.
    It's interesting that such a big deal was made about these two maintenance updates. It's as if someone called up the office and asked "What's in store for BB10 because you know they are going to ask." and someone looked up at the big wall chart and said "Well, we did pencil in releasing an update in March and one more later in the year."

Its not like there's some team working feverishly to get the "March 2016 update" together. It could very well be someone who doesn't work there anymore wrote "March" and "(Fall/Winter)" on a strategic planning map for the OS. Sometimes it's even done so that developers can plan their vacations for next year.
    12-15-15 06:19 PM
    It's interesting that such a big deal was made about these two maintenance updates. It's as if someone called up the office and asked "What's in store for BB10 because you know they are going to ask." and someone looked up at the big wall chart and said "Well, we did pencil in releasing an update in March and one more later in the year."

Its not like there's some team working feverishly to get the "March 2016 update" together. It could very well be someone who doesn't work there anymore wrote "March" and "(Fall/Winter)" on a strategic planning map for the OS. Sometimes it's even done so that developers can plan their vacations for next year.
    Of course, all update dates are subject to change, even at more supportive companies like Apple for example.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    12-16-15 01:09 AM
    Of course, all update dates are subject to change, even at more supportive companies like Apple for example.
    Agree 100%. So, how do we really know that there are significant updates coming? If a company is selling a ton of devices into a hyper-competitive market, is in a consumer tech arms race, and is literally betting the company on their new hardware each year, then you can expect some significant OS updates on a regular basis.

Otherwise, not so much. Just follow the money. For a company like BlackBerry, most every project has to be revenue/profit margin positive with a couple of quarters. I imagine most everything else has been cut by now.
    Last edited by early2bed; 12-16-15 at 09:08 AM.
    12-16-15 08:57 AM
    Agree 100%. So, how do we really know that there are significant updates coming? If a company is selling a ton of devices into a hyper-competitive market, is in a consumer tech arms race, and is literally betting the company on their new hardware each year, then you can expect some significant OS updates on a regular basis.

Otherwise, not so much. Just follow the money. For a company like BlackBerry, most every project has to be revenue/profit margin positive with a couple of quarters. I imagine most everything else has been cut by now.
    BlackBerry has clear incentives to provide maintenance support for BB10 even if they never sell another BB10 device; they do not, however have any incentives to develop new functionality unless they are either a) contractually obligated to do so; or b) expecting additional revenue from future BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-15 08:59 AM
    The Priv didn't exist back then.

If a company makes a pure Android device, they aren't allowed to make another with a forked version of Android.

Besides, BlackBerry has no BB10 developers left even if they were allowed.
    Is this a fact? That BlackBerry has no BB10 developers left? Hard to believe but.....

Leo

Posted via CB10
    12-17-15 09:16 AM
    BlackBerry has clear incentives to provide maintenance support for BB10 even if they never sell another BB10 device; they do not, however have any incentives to develop new functionality unless they are either a) contractually obligated to do so; or b) expecting additional revenue from future BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    They are just selling off inventory now.
    If anyone is still willing to consider buying one I really doubt new functionality factors into the decision.
    12-17-15 09:48 AM
    Is this a fact? That BlackBerry has no BB10 developers left? Hard to believe but.....

Leo

Posted via CB10
    The roadmap is two maintenance releases.
    That means a skeleton crew to deliver on promises made.
    12-17-15 09:52 AM
    Classy

Posted via CB10
    I agree.
    12-17-15 10:05 AM
    They are just selling off inventory now.
    If anyone is still willing to consider buying one I really doubt new functionality factors into the decision.
    They are not "just" selling off inventory. They are also supporting current enterprise customers by ensuring that replacement devices are still available as needed. For organizations who only allow BlackBerry devices on their networks, and there still are many of these (though not enough to sustain a profitable business, obviously), BlackBerry must maintain device availability at least until other devices are properly certified for use. Blackberry hopes to transition those to its new Android platform, but that will take time, so that BB10 devices will be available for the foreseeable future, even if no new devices are released.

You'll likely be able to buy a Leap, Classic or Passport SE for another two years or so.

Blackberry has more to lose by not offering BB10 to these prime customers than the money it would save by cutting off BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 10:07 AM
    They are not "just" selling off inventory. They are also supporting current enterprise customers by ensuring that replacement devices are still available as needed. For organizations who only allow BlackBerry devices on their networks, and there still are many of these (though not enough to sustain a profitable business, obviously), BlackBerry must maintain device availability at least until other devices are properly certified for use. Blackberry hopes to transition those to its new Android platform, but that will take time, so that BB10 devices will be available for the foreseeable future, even if no new devices are released.

You'll likely be able to buy a Leap, Classic or Passport SE for another two years or so.

Blackberry has more to lose by not offering BB10 to these prime customers than the money it would save by cutting off BB10 sales.

Posted via CB10
    How many BB10 devices do you think are in the channel and/or warehoused?
    You don't actually think they would manufacture more do you?
    12-20-15 10:13 AM
    Not even that - replacement devices means that BB is keeping an inventory of devices that it does not intend to sell as it is part of their SLA or warranty replacement deal with their commercial clients. They are not making money in making replacement devices.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-20-15 10:45 AM
    I would not expect that they would need to manufacture more, no. Though TBH I have no idea how difficult that would be to do if for some reason they needed to...something between extremely easy and impossible depending on their supply chain and contracts. But I believe that the three current devices, Classic, Leap and Passport SE, will be available for purchase indefinitely.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-15 11:05 PM
45 12