Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 06:53 AM
    nope you have to wait for BB to release an updated runtime
    11-29-15 06:57 AM
    Frig. You think with all technology someone could do a hack

Posted via CB10
    Niaina Rajoelina likes this.
    11-29-15 06:58 AM
    Copying/brute forcing BlackBerry's app signing keys, then copying/reverse engineering the Android runtime source to upgrade the insides to Android 5/6 is no task for the garden variety script kiddie, so to speak.
    gvs1341 and gugomat like this.
    11-29-15 07:44 AM
    Someone should do it. It's not possibile to wait BlackBerry slow work. They want leave the BBOS 10 vs Android! I don't want buy Priv!

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 08:03 AM
    The reason no one can do it except BlackBerry is the reason I use BlackBerrys. BlackBerry used to do real OS security, not just play around the edges like Google and Apple.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2639
    11-29-15 09:46 AM
    Is there a way we can force a runtime update on bb10

Posted via CB10
    You could buy out BlackBerry, and install yourself as new CEO.

That might actually be easier than what's mentioned so far.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 11:58 AM
    You could buy out BlackBerry, and install yourself as new CEO.

That might actually be easier than what's mentioned so far.

Posted via CB10
    Good one! I'm not sure what part of "secure platform" people don't understand. If you want to customize your OS, get an Android. Blackberry just won't let you. Even if you could replace the code, you'd likely brick your phone the next time you tried to boot, since the hardware - software security check would fail.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-15 02:40 PM
    Copying/brute forcing BlackBerry's app signing keys, then copying/reverse engineering the Android runtime source to upgrade the insides to Android 5/6 is no task for the garden variety script kiddie, so to speak.
    Isn't there a way to make a sort of emulator app for this? For example, you can play PS1 games through an emulator app and some emulators even allow you to emulate an old OS. Couldn't someone create an Android emulator this way? Sure, it would be less integrated into BB10 but at least it'd allow one to use an app they really, really need but doesn't work on the system runtime.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 01:15 AM
    Isn't there a way to make a sort of emulator app for this? For example, you can play PS1 games through an emulator app and some emulators even allow you to emulate an old OS. Couldn't someone create an Android emulator this way? Sure, it would be less integrated into BB10 but at least it'd allow one to use an app they really, really need but doesn't work on the system runtime.

Posted via CB10
    If one has an absurd amount of time, money and skill, plus a large dev team, maybe.

It helps that the PS1 is 1990s technology, Moore's Law and all that. Creating an Android 6.x emulator for QNX both in this lifetime and running at an acceptable level of quality (and with the paucity of BB10 developers) would be a hell of a lot more difficult than nipping over to the store and buying an Android phone.
    11-30-15 02:18 AM
    If one has an absurd amount of time, money and skill, plus a large dev team, maybe.

It helps that the PS1 is 1990s technology, Moore's Law and all that. Creating an Android 6.x emulator for QNX both in this lifetime and running at an acceptable level of quality (and with the paucity of BB10 developers) would be a hell of a lot more difficult than nipping over to the store and buying an Android phone.
    There you go clouding the issue with facts again.
    11-30-15 02:31 AM
    There you go clouding the issue with facts again.
    You're right, CB is a No Fact Zone.

Speaking of which, hypervisor microkernel?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-30-15 02:35 AM
    You're right, CB is a No Fact Zone.

Speaking of which, hypervisor microkernel?
    Hush you know you're not supposed to talk about that.
    ZEDTROSPEKTIV likes this.
    11-30-15 02:39 AM
    I personally never let pesky facts get in the way of forming a strong opinion

Posted via CB10
    11-30-15 05:55 PM

Posted via CB10
    Running emulators takes a lot of computing power. Why do you thinks BB10 has the hightest minimum required RAM to properly run (1.5GB on the Z3)? Because running both BB10 and the Android runtime comsumes a lot of resources.

Running a full blown Android 6 Runtime besides BB10 and the BB android runtime? You would get even worse performance than you get now with Android apps.
    12-01-15 03:52 PM
    Amazon managed to 'fork' Android and get it running beautifully on minimal hardware. Maybe they can collaborate with BB on the runtime
    12-01-15 06:21 PM
    Amazon managed to 'fork' Android and get it running beautifully on minimal hardware. Maybe they can collaborate with BB on the runtime
    Amazon's Android has the same lack of runtime problem BB10 does...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-01-15 10:04 PM
    yes finally this is a post i was sorta looking for.
    i love blackberry and using the classic now. The only thing to make it perfect is to upgraded the runtime to android 4.4 kitkat because kitkat will allow nfc tap and pay features with the software it runs called "card emulation"! Then the dam bank app tap and pay feature will work! It currently doesnt work because BB10 runtime android 4.3 is running and does not have the software feature. I hope with the future updates on BB10 they will upgrade the runtime. Making blackberry COMPLETE lol
    12-02-15 06:48 AM
    I hope with the future updates on BB10 they will upgrade the runtime. Making blackberry COMPLETE lol
    BlackBerry already announced that it would not be updated further.
    Doggerz likes this.
    12-02-15 07:10 AM
    BlackBerry already announced that it would not be updated further.
    really? i thought there would be two more updates for BB10 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 / 10.4

i cant share the link as i have only 1 post lol and need 10, but its on here crackberry announced it

but yeh not sure if there will be a runtime update, but like how can BB not see this, that it will make a difference, but there my thoughts lol and they seem to have accepted android with their new phone so i see another opportunity for them to upgrade the runtime
    12-02-15 07:31 AM
    really? i thought there would be two more updates for BB10 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 / 10.4

i cant share the link as i have only 1 post lol and need 10, but its on here crackberry announced it

but yeh not sure if there will be a runtime update, but like how can BB not see this, that it will make a difference, but there my thoughts lol and they seem to have accepted android with their new phone so i see another opportunity for them to upgrade the runtime
    They aren't permitted to develop the Android Runtime any further due to OHA regulations. This is the consequence of selling a pure Android device (Priv).

From BlackBerry dev blog regarding future updates to BB10:

"BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime". (I added caps for clarity)
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-02-15 07:33 AM
    They aren't permitted to develop the Android Runtime any further due to OHA regulations. This is the consequence of selling a pure Android device (Priv).

From BlackBerry dev blog regarding future updates to BB10:

"BlackBerry 10 will continue to support the CURRENT release of the Android Runtime". (I added caps for clarity)
    true it makes sense and understandable, but going from ginger bread 2.3 to android 4.1 jelly bean and then to 4.3, so i dont see how the OHA regulations didnt play into that. i havnt done any research, and atm i cant seem to find stuff on the OHA regulations for blackberry (reading some posts about it on crackberry now), i might be asking much but could u provide some information on it or links?
    12-02-15 07:54 AM
    true it makes sense and understandable, but going from ginger bread 2.3 to android 4.1 jelly bean and then to 4.3, so i dont see how the OHA regulations didnt play into that. i havnt done any research, and atm i cant seem to find stuff on the OHA regulations for blackberry (reading some posts about it on crackberry now), i might be asking much but could u provide some information on it or links?
    The Priv didn't exist back then.

If a company makes a pure Android device, they aren't allowed to make another with a forked version of Android.

Besides, BlackBerry has no BB10 developers left even if they were allowed.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-02-15 07:56 AM
    sorry i actually didnt see this sentence, all makes sense now, thx
    12-02-15 08:12 AM
    Hush you know you're not supposed to talk about that.
    This first rule of CrackBerry Club is we don't talk about CrackBerry Club.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-03-15 12:56 AM
45 12