I have my Windows Home Server running all the time, but not exposed to the 'net.

I don't always leave BlackBerry Link running on my desktop computer.

I figure running BlackBerry Link on my Windows Home Server would allow my BB10 devices to access all my WHS files securely without using a mapped network drive and leaving my home computer on all the time, too.

Has anyone tried setting up BB Link on WHS? Trials and tribulations?
    05-06-13 09:54 AM
    I've tried this:

You would have to have a user logged in and have BBLink running constantly. Which I was hoping there was a service for. I tried it on my SBS 2008 install but soon as I log off the user even though it is running as a service I dont have access to the share.

Let me know if you need help or can build on the info provided.
    05-06-13 10:13 AM
    You would have to have a user logged in and have BBLink running constantly.
    I'm not home to try this, but could you not configure the service to run as your non-Administrator user on the server, and ensure auto-login on BBLink is configured?

Like you (I think) I'd rather not have to have a user account logged-in (even without an RDP connection) but mostly, I want to be sure that when the server reboots that the files will be available without having to log in.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 05-06-13 at 01:06 PM.
    05-06-13 12:44 PM
    wait you are having the server automatically log a user in? I dont know thats a good security measure. As for the service there is a bblink service. But the exe is what actually provides the connectivity. Because if you logged into another BBID then you would be giving access of you WHS to that BBID right?

Let me know if your method works with setting the user to open the service.
    05-06-13 01:10 PM
    I've tried this:

You would have to have a user logged in and have BBLink running constantly. Which I was hoping there was a service for. I tried it on my SBS 2008 install but soon as I log off the user even though it is running as a service I dont have access to the share.

Let me know if you need help or can build on the info provided.
    There are background services BlackBerry Link installs, but they are not the same as the Link console you run during an interactive desktop session. That console ties into those running services, so the console is in addition to those services.

Essentially you are trying to emulate the remote drive connectivity of a BES 10 server with the "BlackBerry Work Drives" app w/o having to run a BES and I understand why.

To truly automate this you would have to run the console as another new Windows service, and while there are ways to turn a Windows desktop executable into a service, I don't recommend it because that is not what BlackBerry intended to happen (I.E. they won't support it) and you don't know what could happen.

If you do decide to try and turn the console into a service then I wish you the best of luck.
    05-06-13 02:17 PM
    Another maybe better way to do it is VM. I have VMWARE hosts that load up when the host starts this can auto-login a user and start up BBLINK as I dont really care if the VM is compromised and think I would catch it in time. Also this way you make sure what files are shared and which ones are not. As it wont have access to server files.
    05-06-13 03:13 PM
    Another maybe better way to do it is VM. I have VMWARE hosts that load up when the host starts this can auto-login a user and start up BBLINK as I dont really care if the VM is compromised and think I would catch it in time. Also this way you make sure what files are shared and which ones are not. As it wont have access to server files.
    ...and it wouldn't have to be specifically VMware, either. A Virtual Machine would actually be a decent idea.

If I were setting up a WHS (and I have a TechNet subscription, so I'm tempted), I think I'd set up either a Hyper-V or ESX host, virtualize the WHS, and maybe have a virtual desktop instance running BB Link.

I have to say, though, the EASIEST way of implementing access via BB Link would be to have it up and running on your regular desktop, with mapped drives.
    05-06-13 03:20 PM
    05-06-13 10:38 PM
    Does this provide access to files as well? I haven't dived into the bb10 VPN connections just yet.

05-07-13 09:40 AM
    I have to say, though, the EASIEST way of implementing access via BB Link would be to have it up and running on your regular desktop, with mapped drives.
    Honestly, this is what I do most of the time... I said I don't want to have to keep my desktop computer running, but really, I do keep it running most of the time, so this is just making it "ultimate" rather than the workaround of having to keep a userid logged in to a running computer. If BB built a Windows Home Server "Add On" for Link, that would be a super awesome alternative.

I guess I should ask the not-so-obvious question: is accessing files from my BB10 handheld via BB Link running on my desktop innately more secure than having a Windows Home Server with a "documents" folder exposed to the 'net? I sense that it is, but sort of like knowing something is on fire without actually sensing smoke or seeing flames...
    05-07-13 12:58 PM
    The BlackBerry Link approach actually IS more secure, because you need to authorize your phone on Link itself. In other words, it can't be hacked by an outsider.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 09:06 PM
    02-14-14 02:50 PM