Just tested this again with Tunein Radio, and it shut down completely once I reached 9 apps. After closing everything and reopening Tunein, the previous station I was streaming was not showing as available to play again.
    That's not good news right there, hopefully that's one of the first things addressed in future software updates :/
    02-02-13 12:26 PM
    Ok. GTalk, when CLOSED, still get a Spark (or splat) RIGHT AWAY when a new message comes in. However, the new messages don't get into the Hub (at least not right away).

Not sure where GTalk gets its notification from even when not running.
    It would be either the Push Service (implying Push capable server support for GTalk out there somewhere), or GTalk integrates some early (unreleased) capability involving background services.
    02-02-13 12:38 PM
    That's not good news right there, hopefully that's one of the first things addressed in future software updates :/
    If a given app doesn't restore the way you think it should, it's the developer's fault in most cases, not the OS. Contact the Tunein developers to request improvements in that area. It's not the fault of the OS and wouldn't be fixed by future OS updates.
    02-02-13 12:39 PM
    Considering this is a new platform I would think it's more BlackBerry's fault. I bet the built in media player is using an API that is not open to all yet... I am sure it will get better. But it's good to know right now there is very poor support for these kind of scenarios.
    02-02-13 12:57 PM
    Another one is when I am using the browser and I have a few tabs open, close the browser to do other stuff on the phone and then if I open 8 more apps, when I click the browser again it opens the start page and only that page, all the tabs have gone. Good for battery, speed and memory use, but like kevin said, would be nice to be able to 'pin' a few open or to the top of the 8 list.
    In the playbook browser there is an option to 'remember open tabs when I start browser', it's in general settings for the browser. Is that option gone in bb10?
    02-02-13 01:05 PM
    In the playbook browser there is an option to 'remember open tabs when I start browser', it's in general settings for the browser. Is that option gone in bb10?
    That option is not present.

EDIT: Yes it is.
    Last edited by Phill_UK; 02-04-13 at 09:25 PM.
    02-02-13 01:10 PM
    Okay let's just clear up some of the misconceptions here. It seems to be dependent on the app. I just tried this with a proper Built for BlackBerry app (Nobex Radio) and it just pinned Nobex at the 8th app slot and kept closing the 7th app on every new app opening instead. Nobex never closed on it's own and the music kept playing.

Google Talk may close, but that's because you are kept connected via a background push connection. You will continue to receive messages into your Hub even if the app itself is not running.

Sounds like TuneIn is not handling things properly and is allowing the OS to close it. There's no magic dust in Nobex's app. They just code better (and it's a native, Cascades app to boot).
    02-02-13 01:10 PM
    That option is not present.
    Guys, seriously... Don't spread false crap.

In the browser, tap the three dots on the bottom-right corner and hit Settings. The very first thing on the list is "On Startup" and you just have to select "Show Last Tabs" from the drop-down.
    02-02-13 01:12 PM

In the browser, tap the three dots on the bottom-right corner and hit Settings. The very first thing on the list is "On Startup" and you just have to select "Show Last Tabs" from the drop-down.
    OK, the option is there... but it's not where djenkins6 suggested as there is no General settings option in the browser, like on the PlayBook.

It's not where you suggested either. It's under Display and Actions.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Running the 9th App?-img_00000019.jpg
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-02-13 01:37 PM

THANK YOU! for correcting that.. that's an important one, and I was pretty sure it would be there since it is on the playbook.

And yes, folks make sure you are certain of things you say as facts.. other sites read these comments, and all of a sudden you see a headline on BGR saying BB10 doesn't support push email because someone on this forum posted it as a fact, and that kind of false story leads to slower sales..
    02-02-13 01:42 PM
    OK, the option is there... but it's not where djenkins6 suggested as there is no General settings option in the browser, like on the PlayBook.

It's not where you suggested either. It's under Display and Actions.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
    No inconvenience caused, I just wanted to make sure people didn't read that and just conclude the browser doesn't have it, just as just_luc said.

Granted, I realize I gave instructions based on the Dev Alpha OS so I should have disclosed that up-front, given that it seems the final OS has quite a few differences even in where settings are placed.
    02-02-13 02:44 PM
    it closes your first app which is kinda of a bummer
    on the new update they should allow us to pin apps we don't want to close and also add more active frames 8 isn't enough
    02-02-13 03:44 PM
    Okay let's just clear up some of the misconceptions here. It seems to be dependent on the app. I just tried this with a proper Built for BlackBerry app (Nobex Radio) and it just pinned Nobex at the 8th app slot and kept closing the 7th app on every new app opening instead. Nobex never closed on it's own and the music kept playing.

Google Talk may close, but that's because you are kept connected via a background push connection. You will continue to receive messages into your Hub even if the app itself is not running.

Sounds like TuneIn is not handling things properly and is allowing the OS to close it. There's no magic dust in Nobex's app. They just code better (and it's a native, Cascades app to boot).
    What happens when one starts 8 apps all with the ability to remain open? Anyone able to verify this scenario please?
    02-02-13 03:49 PM
    Man... the more I read, the more concerned I get with this BB10 OS... hmmmm....
    02-02-13 04:12 PM
    I don't understand. Are the people here who are bothered but this 9th app thing not realising that you can close apps manually or are they actually suggesting that they need 8 apps to be active all at once?

I don't really see the issue here. You open GTalk, then open maps to find the location of something, once you have found this you close the maps app. Now you are back to just GTalk running.

If you always close apps when you are finished using them like you would on a desktop operating system I don't see how you could possibly reach a 9th app.
    02-02-13 05:20 PM
    Man... the more I read, the more concerned I get with this BB10 OS... hmmmm....
    Do you not know how to read or did you not comprehend what was just said? Read it again -.-

02-02-13 05:42 PM
    Do you not know how to read or did you not comprehend what was just said? Read it again -.-
    Nice... what I read was that an app was closed automatically by the OS, with absolutely no notification or option to close another app instead. Seems there is still a bit of confusion as to how this all works and that there is different behaviour for some apps vs others. Is it being suggested that "Tunein Raido" is not a proper "Built for BlackBerry" app and thus has a different behaviour? Perhaps Phil_UK's testing was not proper. I'm not sure. Still lots of questions.

And for those asking "who needs to run more than 8 apps at at time"... seriously? We each use our phones differently. Don't assume I use mine the same way you use yours.
    02-02-13 06:24 PM
    Thanks for the info on Nobex. This tells me that their is a public API, that can force a App to stay open. Thanks for the info, because it behaves way differently than other platforms. On other platforms the app closes, except for a shell of a service. I like this way better!!! Also, it sounds like information apps like Google Chat can still get alerts. This is all good info. I agree it sounds like not all apps are built with the "don't close because I am doing something API"...

I too am curious what would happen if all 8 apps were like Nobex... Yes this is not a common use case. But I am still curious. I doubt you could find that many... I would assume the Media App, Nobex, and Navigation have it... Although, I doubt both Nobex and Media App would work at the same time? But if so that's three, so we still need 5 more to test it out!

If I could find 5 more, and have the Z10 (stuck in the US), I would totally test it out. I am a Software Engineer, so I am sure the BlackBerry guys are freaking out if they read the stupid test cases we are coming up with. I know I would!

I agree the "pin" concept would be nice. I would add those apps you "pin" they should re-open on reboot in the correct order. Plus I would like to see the ability to move the order around. Also, I would like to see apps that launch not go to the app switcher first. It wastes too much time.... Anyway, that's another thread.... Those are all UI refinements that I am sure will be there some day... This is just 1.0 errr 10.0 stuff
    02-02-13 06:47 PM
    I too am curious what would happen if all 8 apps were like Nobex... Yes this is not a common use case. But I am still curious. I doubt you could find that many... I would assume the Media App, Nobex, and Navigation have it... Although, I doubt both Nobex and Media App would work at the same time? But if so that's three, so we still need 5 more to test it out!
    Good question. If you have 8 "pinned" apps and open a 9th... what happens? I'm sure these answers will come fast and furious as more people get their hands on the device. Lots of misleading info being talked about in the very early days, which is par for the course with this type of change.
    02-02-13 06:52 PM
    Nice... what I read was that an app was closed automatically by the OS, with absolutely no notification or option to close another app instead. Seems there is still a bit of confusion as to how this all works and that there is different behaviour for some apps vs others. Is it being suggested that "Tunein Raido" is not a proper "Built for BlackBerry" app and thus has a different behaviour? Perhaps Phil_UK's testing was not proper. I'm not sure. Still lots of questions.

And for those asking "who needs to run more than 8 apps at at time"... seriously? We each use our phones differently. Don't assume I use mine the same way you use yours.
    No OS in the market right now notifies you before closing apps. Not iOS, not Android, and not Windows Phone. You know why? Because the idea is that a properly coded app will still give you notifications (push) or play music (like Nobex) without you intervening. As for the 8 app limit, none of the other OS's are able to run more than that. On iPhone 5, the limit is around 5-7, depending on the app...though it could be as low as 2, if you run a game. On Android, my Galaxy Nexus would not open more than 3 apps at a time, and if I play a game, everything else closes. Now with my Nexus 4, I'm able to run around 8-10, but if I do that, I can literally count my battery falling, because android doesn't freeze apps properly. Either, they're closed (back key/exit) or running in the background (home key), so I don't think I've ever ran more than 4 apps simultaneously outside of testing. Realistically, blackberry limited it to 8 so that apps start closing without you having to do anything. They could've made it 100 if they wanted, but that adds more work to the user as they now have to actively seek running apps and closing them. Most users don't want to deal with that, and that's why 8 apps is appropriate. In the future, blackberry should make the number custom. That way, users like you can go nuts and open 100 apps at once and watch their battery drain.

8 is not a limitation, but a convenience.
    austriker, Toodeurep and mjdimer like this.
    02-02-13 10:34 PM
    Regardless the ability to restore previous tabs on browser open, that's a band-aid, if that.

I do not want, in general, for my browser to load a bunch of tabs every time it starts. I want to be able to close what I am doing, even if I have 6 tabs open, without having to individually close each one first, and the next time I launch it not have to sit there and wait for it to try to open 6 complicated webpages, before I can do anything. It's also a disaster if you have a problematic webpage of some kind that crashes the browser - if it "remembers" that page and tries to open it every time the browser launches, you now are stuck in a catch-22 loop and can't use the browser any more.

I'm personally less concerned about email notifications that are going to come in anyway - what I'm worried about is spending an hour composing a letter or a spreadsheet or an email, or entering something in some online webform somewhere, then unexpectedly having it all go "poof" without warning, with no way of getting it back.

Being able to "pin" apps would be great, but even simpler I'd imagine from an implementation standpoint, all Blackberry would have to do is make a very simple change in the OS, where there is a tickbox somewhere in "advanced settings" or somesuch, setting the OS to pop-up a modal dialog box each time it hits 9 apps, asking if it's OK to close app "X".

Yes, I know you could in theory auto-save an email/spreadsheet/word doc, but A) that still wastes my time and B) there are tons of other "in-progress" scenarios that are far more problematic. (ie the webform example given above)

When BB10 hits the USA I will obviously have to just plan to be real careful about the 8 app limit so I don't hit that wall.
    02-02-13 11:53 PM
    The iPhone doesn't multitask which explains why its slow.
    02-02-13 11:55 PM
    Regardless the ability to restore previous tabs on browser open, that's a band-aid, if that.

I do not want, in general, for my browser to load a bunch of tabs every time it starts. I want to be able to close what I am doing, even if I have 6 tabs open, without having to individually close each one first, and the next time I launch it not have to sit there and wait for it to try to open 6 complicated webpages, before I can do anything. It's also a disaster if you have a problematic webpage of some kind that crashes the browser - if it "remembers" that page and tries to open it every time the browser launches, you now are stuck in a catch-22 loop and can't use the browser any more..
    This is how it works in iOS and Android too. This thread is such a joke. We have a bunch of people who have no idea how a modern mobile OS works and criticize BB10. Go use an iPhone and open a few tabs in the browser, use the phone for a while, and come back to the browser. It's not magic, it'll have to reload this pages too (and yes, if you were filling out a form, it's gone)
    02-03-13 01:53 AM
    This is how it works in iOS and Android too. This thread is such a joke. We have a bunch of people who have no idea how a modern mobile OS works and criticize BB10. Go use an iPhone and open a few tabs in the browser, use the phone for a while, and come back to the browser. It's not magic, it'll have to reload this pages too (and yes, if you were filling out a form, it's gone)
    Probably the reason I don't personally run into that problem (I also have an Android tablet, and have used many different mobile - and non-mobile - OS's) is I don't have a habit of running a ton of apps, and I tend to be rather OCD about closing unused apps.

To add to that, now that I've watched a few more demos of the Z10 and BB10, I don't think this will be nearly as much of an issue because of 2 main reasons:

1. The app list is essentially the home screen, you can't really avoid being aware of what is running all the time.
    2. BB10 has task management built right into the app tiles/homescreen, every app tile has an "X" on it you can use to close any app visible there.

So it seems a little less likely I'll 'hit the magic number 9' in BB10, but I'd still like some sort of warning before it auto-closes something.

I realize the typical Joe doesn't care and probably doesn't even think about that kind of thing, but I do. I don't like any OS to make data-losing decisions for me.
    02-03-13 03:59 AM
    Just got my z10 days ago and i think the opposite would be god too aka to have certain apps that would not appear in the frames at all for example, search, and clock. (they currently do at the moment and i find it absolutely unnecesaary
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-03-13 04:09 AM
80 1234