"RIM likely agreeing to license Blackberry 10 to Samsung, HTC, and possibly others", analyst says | MobileSyrup.com

So until RIM gets their stuff in order, here�s a fresh, new rumour to ponder. Peter Misek, analyst from Jefferies & Co., stated in a note to his clients that he believes RIM has, or will, start to licence the BlackBerry 10 OS to other manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC. No other details are given, but personally I cannot see either of these companies licensing another OS. Both of them are deeply involved with Google�s Android OS and Microsoft�s Windows Phone 7 OS. In addition, Samsung has their own bada OS (which isn�t widely adopted), and HTC has reportedly pondered creating or buying a mobile OS. Just like the note to his clients states, if RIM goes in this direction it will put pressure on their hardware business, but increase the service revenue.
    I don't know if this is true or not, but this could be a logical move for RIM.

This way they could just focus on the software part (but unlikely; I'd expect them to still maintain their hardware division).

The major problem that can occur is updates and fragmentation. I don't know about updates, but I think all RIM has to do is have a Theme Builder for BB10 and allow manufacturers to bundle their own themes, and encourage manufacturers to adhere to strict guidelines for preloaded apps that ensure they don't bog down the system or make the OS unusable.
    01-04-12 01:41 PM
    What would RIM expect these other companies to pay per device?
    01-04-12 01:57 PM
    What would RIM expect these other companies to pay per device?
    Not the companies, but the end user, about $5 per month per BIS account. I wonder if Google gets revenue of $5 per device from their Android os via the advertising revenue and etc.
    01-04-12 02:56 PM
    Samsung is using Android, WP, Bada and possibly Tizen (if/when it comes out). Why would any company choose BB10 over those already? Especially if they need to pay licensing?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or they won't, I just don't understand why they would with so many other choices.
    01-04-12 03:00 PM
    Samsung is using Android, WP, Bada and possibly Tizen (if/when it comes out). Why would any company choose BB10 over those already? Especially if they need to pay licensing?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or they won't, I just don't understand why they would with so many other choices.
    Why wouldn't Samsung?

They would be able to get a user that loves BBM to use a Samsung product. That one sale that wouldn't be theirs suddenly is another sold customer.
    01-04-12 03:06 PM

It would be a door into the business, and other security minded customers.
    01-04-12 03:06 PM
    Ahh, good point. Completely missed that market in my thought process.
    01-04-12 03:10 PM
    "RIM likely agreeing to license Blackberry 10 to Samsung, HTC, and possibly others", analyst says | MobileSyrup.com

I don't know if this is true or not, but this could be a logical move for RIM.

This way they could just focus on the software part (but unlikely; I'd expect them to still maintain their hardware division).

The major problem that can occur is updates and fragmentation. I don't know about updates, but I think all RIM has to do is have a Theme Builder for BB10 and allow manufacturers to bundle their own themes, and encourage manufacturers to adhere to strict guidelines for preloaded apps that ensure they don't bog down the system or make the OS unusable.
    Since there isn't anything to back up the analyst's note, this may be speculation, informed or not, on the part of the analyst.

What it ultimately means, though, is that RIM will no longer be in the hardware market. They may continue to make handsets for a year or two, but the clock would start ticking from the minute an announcement was made.
    01-04-12 03:14 PM
    If you look at HTC, it would also be a door into China with less expensive devices for the masses there, all running on the Blackberry Network, all paying Blackberry a monthly fee.
    01-04-12 03:16 PM
    Not the companies, but the end user, about $5 per month per BIS account. I wonder if Google gets revenue of $5 per device from their Android os via the advertising revenue and etc.
    Oh, interesting. So they would give the OS to the manufacturers for free then? That's an interesting idea, actually.
    01-04-12 03:19 PM
    If you look at HTC, it would also be a door into China with less expensive devices for the masses there, all running on the Blackberry Network, all paying Blackberry a monthly fee.
    That reminded me if this article too.

http://www.intomobile.com/2011/12/28/argentina-bans-iphone-and-blackberry-imports-support-local-production/
    01-04-12 03:21 PM
    Oh, interesting. So they would give the OS to the manufacturers for free then? That's an interesting idea, actually.
    The recurring revenue is what a lot of people forget about a Blackberry compared to another brand of phone. When another brand of phone is sold, the manufacturer makes the revenue on the sale of the hardware and branded accessories, but that is the end of it. When a Blackberry is sold RIM makes the revenue on the hardware plus a monthly fee until that phone is no longer on the cellular network.

In some cases, when the customer buys his new Blackberry, the old one is either sold into the used market or traded in/donated to be used in other markets, such as the developing world, where the phone continues to generate revenue for Blackberry. I have a drawer full of old Motorola phones, but my two old Blackberries are still in use, one by my son and another given away.
    danimalchil likes this.
    01-04-12 03:27 PM
    My thoughts exactly ... assuming they want to get into that market. I would think two things need to happen before RIM would make such a business shift: 1, they would have to know that tbere is interest from one or more other manufacturers in licensing BB10 (as in having signed agreements in hand); and 2, they would have to have a solid business case for abandoning the hardware line of business, since that essentially is what they'd be doing. My guess would be, if there is any substance to this whatsoever, that this BB10 exercise is proving decreasing profitability for them to develop both software and the hardware to run it on. But I'd find it very hard to believe that this is a possibility as much as an item on some analyst's wish list.
    01-04-12 03:30 PM
    I think it is a bad idea and as mentioned before will lead to fragmentation although the upside would probably be widespread adoption of the OS and therefore more developer support.

I just can't see this happening as it all but kills off BlackBerry handsets. This would be a last resort for RIM should they fail in their transition, that is if they are not acquired.
    01-04-12 03:31 PM
    Google doesn't HAVE to charge a subscription fee for Android. Between ad revenue and the data they collect (some of which is sold), they likely make considerably more than $5/user/month on Android.

RIM, in fact, should really look at other ways to "monetize" BIS.
    auditman likes this.
    01-04-12 03:31 PM

patent protection, diversifying, free OS (economical than Android because they need not pay royalties to Apple and Microsoft or a licensee fee as incase of microsoft), free pass to the enterprises(more stable flow of revenues).

what RIM gains from this? Ecosystem and revenue through their NOS, RIM might eventually exit from hardware as the margins on hardware are going to subside. software and services is where the money is, then they may downsize the company to 5000 people just focused on software generating higher margins. Inorder for this to happen RIM need to prove that BB10 is a viable platform first and I don't see it happening until RIM releases their first batch of BB10 devices and prove people are interested in them.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-04-12 at 03:46 PM.
    01-04-12 03:43 PM
    its important to note this is the same analyst that claimed my playbook only has 4 hours battery life.... so maybe not always correct eh
    01-04-12 03:46 PM
    Inorder for this to happen RIM need to prove that BB10 is a viable platform first and I don't see it happening until RIM releases their first batch of BB10 devices and prove people are interested in them.
    On that same note, if RIM released their software for others to use before it was proven, then they've already got signed deals in place. However, if they release BB10, and no one is interested in it, how are you then going to convice other manufacturers to buy into it?

In my mind it's easier to sell the idea of a product (BB10), than the actual product.
    01-04-12 03:53 PM
    I think it is a bad idea and as mentioned before will lead to fragmentation although the upside would probably be widespread adoption of the OS and therefore more developer support.
    I can't imagine fragmentation being really bad... For a manufacturer to customize the looks RIM can restrict their ability to creating a default theme via Theme Builder. This way RIM has complete control over how much of the OS the manufacturers can change.

And manufacturers can also preinstall some applications, providing they follow guidelines RIM sets out to ensure they don't bog down the system or confuse the user.
    01-04-12 04:11 PM
    Well I would prefer RIM to keep it to themselves otherwise there is no one other than Apple with the hardware and software together.
    I think if they had to do this maybe give them the OS but not the BBM, Secure email etc with BIS so if they want that they need a blackberry.
    01-04-12 05:15 PM
    its important to note this is the same analyst that claimed my playbook only has 4 hours battery life.... so maybe not always correct eh
    Only four hours? Bah, such a lie. I get four and a half, sometimes even five!
    01-04-12 06:37 PM
    well. Its really a bad idea.

What bb can attract ppl now? In my opinion, security,Bis/bes, brand image ,and keyboard.

That's all.
    Only these 4 aspects combined into one makes bb's attraction.

If they license os to others, just license security and Bis/bes.
    Will customers keep their love with bb?

And one more aspect, the more LTE area, the less ppl care about Bis. (I mean normal ppl, not company). Cause smartphone can quickly pull mail, like gmail. So if internet is fast enough, normal ppl doesn't care about push or pull mail. (of course with unlimited plan)

Besides these, hp can license webos as well, but it seems that rarely company have interests with it. (Of course, android and WP are in front of it)

So, I thinks rim should put more energy on their bb10 and devices. As quick as possible. As mature as possible. Don't let its fanboy down.
    01-04-12 06:38 PM
    patent protection, diversifying, free OS (economical than Android because they need not pay royalties to Apple and Microsoft or a licensee fee as incase of microsoft), free pass to the enterprises(more stable flow of revenues).

what RIM gains from this? Ecosystem and revenue through their NOS, RIM might eventually exit from hardware as the margins on hardware are going to subside. software and services is where the money is, then they may downsize the company to 5000 people just focused on software generating higher margins. Inorder for this to happen RIM need to prove that BB10 is a viable platform first and I don't see it happening until RIM releases their first batch of BB10 devices and prove people are interested in them.
    Did they say for free? Maybe I missed that.
    01-04-12 06:43 PM
    I'm not sure but maybe they are only trying to license the OS itself and not access to BIS/BES. From everything I have read and heard (I have a couple friends who work for RIM here in Ottawa), RIM seems to be having a significant amount of trouble getting QNX to play nice with BES and can't really seem to get BBM working on it at all, so maybe they would leave that stuff out and just license the OS to get it out in the marketplace.

That way they wouldn't risk losing business on the hardware side, but the OS could get used and tested by the general population, and if it happened to take off, maybe Samsung and HTC can drop Android down a bit since Google now owns Motorola and will presumably begin using that to leverage themselves.

I think there are a lot of reasons for this to potentially happen and it could really be a step in the right direction and something to keep people going (and RIM's profits growing) until RIM has all of the kinks worked out of their hardware/software combo.

Just my thoughts.
    01-04-12 07:09 PM
    One thing's for sure; if RIM actually did this they would be giving up the hardware business. Apple tried opening up the old Mac OS to the cloners. The cloners stole a lot of high margin sales. Not a lot of regard to quality control -- just pump out something that is compatible and has the best specs to steal the sales.

HTC would eat RIM alive in the hardware sales.

But hey if the licensing was right why not? Moving more units is moving more units. I just think RIM would have to exit hardware. Software and services only.

Interesting idea. Perhaps some fallout from the Google purchase of Moto Mobility?
    01-04-12 07:17 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD