Just have a look at BB 7.1
    Official status: still supported
    Last update: two years ago
    So it depends on the point of view whether you want to call it dead or not. I'd do so even without an official declaration.
    Bluenoser63 and Soulstream like this.
    09-05-15 09:10 AM
    I don't think they'll kill BlackBerry 10, not now. They need to see if a modified Android is secure enough to sell to Fortune 100 companies that their last ammunition, perception of being secure, is not lost.

They still need BlackBerry 10 as fall back point at this time.

Z10STL100-1/10.3.1.2576
    Yup. The Osborne prevention. They are hoping for Android so telling people that they support BlackBerry 10 when they have stopped work on it so they can sell the remaining product in the pipeline.
    09-05-15 11:05 AM
    Unless you have official announcements detailing all of this that you are willing to share it is all just speculation.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    BlackBerry has made announcements in removing the road map. Stopping working on Qt5 anything for BlackBerry 10.

You may want to keep your head in the sand and call it speculation, but it is based on all the signs that you need to make an informed situation. All the signs are there.

* No Road Map * Officially stopped supporting Qt5 on BlackBerry 10. That includes loading Qt5 by developers. * Telling developers to target other platforms. * No blogs or webcasts anymore about BlackBerry 10 for developers. The list goes on.

What do you have on your side? A vague comment about "We will support BlackBerry 10".

They are just trying to prevent an Osborne and sell everything in the pipeline until Android comes out. After the Playbook and now BlackBerry 10, I see no reason why anyone should support BlackBerry in the future no matter what OS they use.
    09-05-15 11:14 AM
    If they stop, they will totally lose the enterprise market that they still have. No company wants to invest in a solution with such a short end of life date.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-15 12:21 PM
    If they stop, they will totally lose the enterprise market that they still have. No company wants to invest in a solution with such a short end of life date.

Posted via CB10
    The problem is that the enterprise market doesn't seem to be big enough for BB. The last quarter the sold 800.000 devices and that was consumer + enterprise. That's why I think the main focus for BB will be MDM. It's clear that very few companies really need the hardened security of a BB10 devices and for them an iOS/Android paired with BES is good enough.
    09-05-15 12:53 PM
    BlackBerry has made announcements in removing the road map. Stopping working on Qt5 anything for BlackBerry 10.

You may want to keep your head in the sand and call it speculation, but it is based on all the signs that you need to make an informed situation. All the signs are there.

* No Road Map * Officially stopped supporting Qt5 on BlackBerry 10. That includes loading Qt5 by developers. * Telling developers to target other platforms. * No blogs or webcasts anymore about BlackBerry 10 for developers. The list goes on.

What do you have on your side? A vague comment about "We will support BlackBerry 10".

They are just trying to prevent an Osborne and sell everything in the pipeline until Android comes out. After the Playbook and now BlackBerry 10, I see no reason why anyone should support BlackBerry in the future no matter what OS they use.
    Well others may be happy using you as their oracle on what to do next. Which is what exactly? Target other platforms? That's just what BlackBerry told developers to consider months ago. That just makes that advice way late. The smart developers would not have focused on a single platform anyway. I never have. Nor have I ever limited myself to just mobile, or just enterprise, or just consumer.

You may believe you are helping people, but all you are is a chicken little repeating the same speculation over and over phrased as fact. The sky may be falling, but I've been hearing the "BlackBerry is dead" mantra for as long as I've been developing for BlackBerry. I'm still developing for BlackBerry and still making a very good living.

I've been through three major technology changes during my association with RIM / BlackBerry: Mobitex, J2ME, and now BB10. During that time I've seen Java rise to prominence, and fall to its current ignominious state. But you know what my next large project is based on? Yup Java. Should I tell them to keep their money, or pay it to someone else because because randos on the net (not you, but there are lots) say Java is dead, or should be killed?

Technological sea change is part of life for a developer. The number of developers who make a good living, let alone get rich, picking one technology and selling apps for 99 cents is tiny. It is almost better to buy lottery tickets.

When BlackBerry gets out of the handset business, and I say when because the handset business won't last forever, I'm not going to be any less successful than I am now. I may be retired, but that's another story. Just because I don't find what you are saying credible doesn't mean I have my head in the sand. Diversification is not just good advice for investment.

So if you want to be considered some sort of helpful profit, take off your "the end is nigh" sandwich board and tell us what your advice for a BlackBerry native developer is? Because mine would be don't focus on specific products. Learn the base enabling technologies and learn to convert what passes for documentation these days into the knowledge to implement algorithms and processes on whatever specific implementation you are asked to. I would also say, don't worry about how long anything will be around. If it puts money in your pocket today, that's money in you pocket today. In programming, methodologies come and go with amazing rapidity, so also don't expect to be doing what you do today forever. Even things that look rock solid can disappear overnight. Conversely things that look incredibly shaky can endure for years.

So, what is your advice?

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    09-05-15 01:21 PM
    Diversification they say can be a catalyst for success.

Personally I like the bb10 os and stable operation. S/W for an operating system is the thing that produces interest in a product. To that end, BlackBerry stayed with conservative approach and that left them behind the eight ball. BlackBerry also did not keep up with hand set technology which also gave them hardship.

However BlackBerry is now producing quality equipment with a very solid operating system.

Developers still need program for BlackBerry and we thank you.

BlackBerry Passport SE on Rogers in Victoria BC Canada to CB 10
    09-05-15 05:11 PM
    I heard a rumour that... they will also be able to reliably load facebook posts.

No word on new emojis.
    Had me going there for a second but then I read this.

Posted via CB10
    Korla_Plankton likes this.
    09-06-15 02:36 AM
    There is one other, admittedly far-fetched and faint, hope for an explanation for the lack of activity on the BlackBerry developer site: they've worked out something with Google for 10.3.3/10.4 that involves a change in the framework that's so significant that they can't discuss it publicly until release, but at that point they'll be able to update the roadmap.

I'm hesitant to even raise it as a discussion point, but who knows?

Posted from CB10 on my classy Passport--TBUCK64
    09-07-15 11:45 PM
109 ... 345