Big rumor that's making it way around is that Samsung will be investing in RIMM and also running the BB10 platform on their phones.

Big Rumor
    q649 likes this.
    03-16-12 09:12 AM
    you will be needing some sort of source to be taken seriously.
    anon(1464249) likes this.
    03-16-12 09:17 AM
    I agree with playbookster, please provide some more information or an article or something so we can discuss this rather then be skeptical about what you're saying.
    Thank You
    03-16-12 09:22 AM
    hence the BIG Rumor disclaimer...

if another outlet decides to post the rumor, I 'll link it but doesn't make the rumor anymore reputable...
    03-16-12 09:24 AM
    Big rumor that's making it way around is that Samsung will be investing in RIMM and also running the BB10 platform on their phones.

Big Rumor
    Source? 10 Char
    03-16-12 09:25 AM
    I too heard this rumor from the janitor at my kids school.
    03-16-12 09:25 AM
    hence the BIG Rumor disclaimer...

if another outlet decides to post the rumor, I 'll link it but doesn't make the rumor anymore reputable...
    Another outlet? What's the first outlet of this rumor?
    03-16-12 09:30 AM
    oh my source are trading desks, i cannot confirm the original souce...that's why i called it a rumor. Have fun with your jokes, meanswhile RIMM the stock is up on heavy volume and the only catalyst is this "trading desk" rumor...or perhaps everyone is trading on the "janitor's from your kids school" who spilled mop-n-glo in the image of Mother Mary.
    03-16-12 09:33 AM
    Have fun with your jokes, meanswhile RIMM the stock is up on heavy volume and the only catalyst is this "trading desk" rumor...or perhaps everyone is trading on the "janitor's from your kids school" who spilled mop-n-glo in the image of Mother Mary.
    Nice one!!
    perfectson likes this.
    03-16-12 09:38 AM
    well of course, the plan had been to license BB10 and that plan was brought to the board, but THorston withdrew it and wanted a few weeks to present his updated plans to the board. That was back in February,...so potentially licensing with Samsung may come into fruition, who knows.
    03-16-12 09:39 AM
    I have a theory about "rumors"....."show me in writing" .....it's a simple theory
    03-16-12 09:39 AM
    Well that's more specific if it is a trading desk rumor. It is easier for others to understand the news you're spreading if we first understand how you obtained the news.
    Thorsten didn't take licensing off the table so it is possible for Samsung to be interested. However as of right now I believe Samsung is gonna stick with Android because Samsung has an extremely high success rate with its handsets. Tablets are another story. I personally would hate to buy any RIM software that didn't have BlackBerry etched onto the handset it was on.
    03-16-12 09:40 AM
    Another unsubstantiated rumor thread. Wonderful.
    03-16-12 09:44 AM
    Well that's more specific if it is a trading desk rumor. It is easier for others to understand the news you're spreading if we first understand how you obtained the news.
    Thorsten didn't take licensing off the table so it is possible for Samsung to be interested. However as of right now I believe Samsung is gonna stick with Android because Samsung has an extremely high success rate with its handsets. Tablets are another story. I personally would hate to buy any RIM software that didn't have BlackBerry etched onto the handset it was on.
    I hear you. The other part of the rumor was an investment of some amount by Samsung into RIMM, which would explain why they would go with the BB10 as it would be higher ROI for them.
    03-16-12 09:47 AM
    Another unsubstantiated rumor thread. Wonderful.
    what is a substantiated rumor?
    03-16-12 09:48 AM
    well my bad gentlemen for congesting the plethora of FACTUAL news on the front page with this "unsubstantiated" rumor, that I put in the "News and Rumors" section.

Hopefully, one day you all can forgive me for my trespasses.
    DocDRM, torches, vrs626 and 1 others like this.
    03-16-12 09:51 AM
    Maybe Samsung is taking note of the soon to be best mobile OS and wants in on the action.
    03-16-12 09:55 AM
    Or, more likely, RIM is up because they announced the date for releasing their Q4 earnings without any pre-warning of a revenue miss:

Tech Currents - Seeking Alpha
    03-16-12 09:58 AM
    Or, more likely, RIM is up because they announced the date for releasing their Q4 earnings without any pre-warning of a revenue miss:

only problem is that they released that news yesterday, RIMM saw a noticeably pop after the "rumor" went across the trade desk.

seekingalpha is guessing and could be right but the times don't match up.
    03-16-12 10:05 AM
    I think they released it after markets closed yesterday?

RIM gapped up slightly this morning, and may be it's picking up steam now after more and more people caught on to the 'non-news".

All speculations obviously - I would be ecstatic if BB10 is licensed out on terms that are favorable to RIM.
    03-16-12 10:08 AM

good call.
    03-16-12 10:08 AM
    I think they released it after markets closed yesterday?

RIM gapped up slightly this morning, and may be it's picking up steam now after more and more people caught on to the 'non-news".

All speculations obviously - I would be ecstatic if BB10 is licensed out on terms that are favorable to RIM.
    yes, it came in the aftermarket and had little to no effect and in the premarket. It did gap up slightly but the entire market was going up and then it went back down until the "rumor" hit and then it popped on large amounts of volume

additionally with the volume a large amount of June call options went with it, if this was purely an earnings plan then I'd expect to see the April call options move as well since March 29 falls into aprils expiry.

lastly, the streets #s and whispers #s are all guiding lower than what Rimm guided in Q3, so I find it hard press that just because they didn't issue a statement (new management??) to their earnings date release that it would pop the market on high volume like this.

Just my opinion...
    03-16-12 10:19 AM
    With 59 million in shorts, yea you better cover your rear if there is a good chance your wrong.

Short sellers boost their stake in Research In Motion - Buffalo - Business First
    03-16-12 10:22 AM
    option expiration is today duh!? Of course there is heavy volume...
    03-16-12 10:36 AM
    yes, it came in the aftermarket and had little to no effect and in the premarket. It did gap up slightly but the entire market was going up and then it went back down until the "rumor" hit and then it popped on large amounts of volume

additionally with the volume a large amount of June call options went with it, if this was purely an earnings plan then I'd expect to see the April call options move as well since March 29 falls into aprils expiry.

lastly, the streets #s and whispers #s are all guiding lower than what Rimm guided in Q3, so I find it hard press that just because they didn't issue a statement (new management??) to their earnings date release that it would pop the market on high volume like this.

Just my opinion...
    I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the street is underestimating PlayBook shipments in the last Q.

Also, the US market now only accounts for 20% of RIM's revenue, whereas their rest-of-the-world revenue is growing at a 50+% clip. The slump in US sales used to matter more when they were a bigger piece of the pie, but now I think international markets have caught up.

All these analysts doing retail channel checks in US have a good chance of being caught off guard for being too US-centric. Imagine the surge in RIMM stock if they actually beat estimates due to strong international growth and PlayBook sales.
    03-16-12 10:37 AM
142 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD