BlackBerry 10 OS will die, but until it does I will be using my Passport/Classic/Z30 :P maybe by the time I have to move to Android they will have gestures lol

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 04:31 PM
    Thanks for the explanations, I wasn't aware of these potential impacts.

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    12-22-16 04:32 PM
    Loosely Translated, btw:

The News that Nobody Wants to Know:

BlackBerry 10 OS will have support until May 2017, after this will be Officially Discontinued platform, BlackBerry asks its faithful users to start now to make the transition to their new computers with android, ensuring that they keep the same Level of security and speed that BBOs10.

Asique Ya know guys, BlackBerry has for a while but only with Android devices Touch and qwerty
    Not that it really matters either way. It's hard to argue what 'end of support' even really means at this point.
    anon(3732391) and stlabrat like this.
    12-22-16 05:17 PM
    What sort of things might break that aren't broken currently?

---={////]--[ Dispensed on my BlackBerry Passport 
    I wrote a long reply and my PP rebooted before posting. I'm gonna write the short version.

I think 'broken' in the CB forums refers to the scenario in which there will be some major change in mobile tech over the next few years, and BB10 won't be updated to adjust to it. Changes such as:

Various security protocols such as SSL or HTTPS that could lock you out of email or various sites
    Phasing out 4G in favor of newer bands which means you can't place call
    Unpatched security holes

But realistically, phones aren't built to last that long anyway. That kind of broken also applies to iphone 4 or pre Android JellyBean devices. So blackberry shouldn't be bashed for this.

The real 'broken' that affects us is app developers phasing out APIs. Due to BB10 being old, unsupported and with an insignificant market share, devs aren't updating their apps to incorporate the newer APIs because it's not worth the cost.

Furthermore, the current Android runtime is old and less and less Android apps will work on BB10. This runtime will not be updated because BB sells Androids so they're not allowed to update the runtime.

Basically, the platform is slowly becoming outdated and you won't be able to do much except for calls, mails and texts. And you probably won't be able to use a bb10 device at all in 10 years but that's really a non-issue.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 06:13 PM
    well sorta, except if they do stop support things will break and not get fixed, so technically you will start to be able to do less and not function as it does today.
    BlackBerry Link being a good example of things already breaking and not getting fixed. Then there's Blend and the Android runtime issues.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 12-22-16 at 08:06 PM.
    howarmat likes this.
    12-22-16 07:53 PM
    Wait, didn't BlackBerry or more specifically John Chen say they would continue to support BB10 for another 2 or 3 years because of the numerous contracts with enterprises and governments using their phones?

Posted via CB10
    kbalaz likes this.
    12-22-16 08:05 PM
    Wait, didn't BlackBerry or more specifically John Chen say they would continue to support BB10 for another 2 or 3 years because of the numerous contracts with enterprises and governments using their phones?
    We know they will continue to support customers on service contracts who use BB10 because it makes good business sense for BlackBerry.

But those same customers don't rely on Link, Blend, or the Android runtime the way that their consumer based customers do (or at least did).
    12-22-16 08:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    John Chen said many things but we all know what that means.

Posted via CB10
    Vistaus, acovey and StephanieMaks like this.
    12-22-16 08:20 PM
    But they did make NIAP CERTIFICATION few time ago? Why if they'll make BBOS 10 EOL?

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 08:58 PM
    If you really wanna get a glimpse of what a non-supported OS world would look like head on over to webOSNation or search for Nokia N9 forums. Both are good examples of what lies ahead should/when BlackBerry stops supporting the OS

If you do, you'll find a thriving little community of hackers and adventurers posting the latest patches and work arounds to keep FB, email, and whatsapp working. For most, this life isn't sustainable but for a few thick skinned diehards it's a way to keep your zombie phone working.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    acovey likes this.
    12-22-16 09:24 PM
    But they did make NIAP CERTIFICATION few time ago? Why if they'll make BBOS 10 EOL?

Posted via CB10
    As long as BB10 is *not* officially EOL they have a responsibility to their corporate clients to do routine maintenance, such as security updates. But the fact that they are doing such updates doesn't imply that they have any plans to keep BB10 alive beyond their last contractual commitment, whenever that is. Maybe even May 2017.
    12-22-16 09:46 PM
    If you really wanna get a glimpse of what a non-supported OS world would look like head on over to webOSNation or search for Nokia N9 forums. Both are good examples of what lies ahead should/when BlackBerry stops supporting the OS

If you do, you'll find a thriving little community of hackers and adventurers posting the latest patches and work arounds to keep FB, email, and whatsapp working. For most, this life isn't sustainable but for a few thick skinned diehards it's a way to keep your zombie phone working.

Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    Yeah but that won't work with BB10 OS because is a closed software, so we are pretty much screwed lol

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 11:01 PM

Posted via CB10
    I have never heard John Chen say that or have seen a credible quote on the subject. I have seen a lot of BB10 fans on this site say something like this many times. All Chen has said is that BlackBerry will deliver two BB10 security updates. So far they have delivered one. If BlackBerry had a lot of valuable enterprise BB10 contracts we would see a lot more BB10 activities from BlackBerry.
    12-22-16 11:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Like this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/bgr.com/20...oid-blackberry

Microsoft would even support Windows 3.1 if you pony up the cash for a support contract. I don't think the average "Android is crap" fanboy would pay BlackBerry several hundred thousands for one though.
    12-22-16 11:41 PM
    Yeah but that won't work with BB10 OS because is a closed software, so we are pretty much screwed lol

Posted via CB10
    So true.

As one last Thank You to the BB10 community, BlackBerry could open source it a-la what HP did with webOS.

Just sayin

He Hates These Cans! - Sent from my awesome BlackBerry Passport
    12-23-16 12:40 AM
    The sky is falling!

Smoke on the water, a fire in the sky
    12-23-16 01:08 AM
    Support is officially ending at some point in late 2018 or early 2019.

You may quote me and start a thread on this.

Posted via CB10
    You haven't been paying attention. Everyone quotes everyone and starts a thread on anything.

Let me make this perfectly clear. I've been saying it for years:

Don't believe anything unless you hear it from OPRAH or read it in THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER !!
    ppeters914 likes this.
    12-23-16 03:06 AM
    Loosely Translated, btw:
    Not that it really matters either way. It's hard to argue what 'end of support' even really means at this point.
    Loosely Translated: "Let's argue about what 'end of support' really means and at what date it means to end."

(Is that about right, Bla1ze?)
    12-23-16 03:18 AM
    Don't believe anything unless you hear it from OPRAH
    [Rumor] - BlackBerry ENDING BB10 Support in May 2017-2016-12-23-052209_195x110_scrot.png
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    12-23-16 04:23 AM
    I don't really care about this since my Passport is still working. Even if so-called New BlackBerry stops the support for BlackBerry 10, I guess my Passport will still work, meaning able to receive and send emails, BBM, and Web surfing. Other than these, I am fine. As for their decision to switch to TCL and Android, I wish them the best luck, but I'm not going to jump on their ship.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry of Doom likes this.
    12-23-16 04:41 AM
    Since we're just guessing without any real facts, I believe that BB10 is being positioned as the exclusive OS for future highly secure devices available only to Government/Corporate customers. If this proves true, then Blackberry will want to get it out of the open market and lock it away for this targeted. highly profitable market.
    12-23-16 08:36 AM
    We know they will continue to support customers on service contracts who use BB10 because it makes good business sense for BlackBerry.

But those same customers don't rely on Link, Blend, or the Android runtime the way that their consumer based customers do (or at least did).
    I don't know if I agree with this, but perhaps the numbers are small. I'm connected to my employer's BES, but I rely on Link, Blend and the Android runtime. I backup my device, sync files through Link. I use Blend on my work laptop and I use the Android runtime to run Android apps. The pain point that I'm facing though is the IT policy. I can't get into development mode and that means I can't sideload anything without significant effort (need to wipe device, restore, sideload, etc. and then reactivate onto BES.
    12-23-16 08:51 AM
    So true.

As one last Thank You to the BB10 community, BlackBerry could open source it a-la what HP did with webOS.
    Now that would be awesome I'd be willing to work on BB10 as a hobby just so I could enjoy my Classic longer!
    [Rumor] - BlackBerry ENDING BB10 Support in May 2017-blackberry-classic-render.jpg
    12-23-16 09:17 AM
    I don't know if I agree with this, but perhaps the numbers are small. I'm connected to my employer's BES, but I rely on Link, Blend and the Android runtime. I backup my device, sync files through Link. I use Blend on my work laptop and I use the Android runtime to run Android apps. The pain point that I'm facing though is the IT policy. I can't get into development mode and that means I can't sideload anything without significant effort (need to wipe device, restore, sideload, etc. and then reactivate onto BES.
    BlackBerry supports your employer because they have a BES account and use it to manage BB10 devices. Your employer doesn't need Link to backup what is important to their business, they don't require you to use Blend, and they don't need to sideload Android apps.
    12-23-16 10:21 AM
    BB10- does it matters if no support? BIS BBOS7 it is critical if you don't get BIS, but BB10? few app not working? horoscope not update? sure, that is a problem. if your bank app or your school app not working (they are not produce them for BB10 OS anyhow), that might be a big problem... up to now, you should have all the apps, like BB map, dictionary, color LED on your device, if no support, does that matters? BB world might got shut down (link and blend already gone), anything else that is critical I missed? thx.
    12-23-16 11:43 AM
86 1234