OK I know this is more of an Android lingo but can the Z10 be "rooted" or..."jail broken" if u will...?

Can a user have access to the system files?
    Thanks..

Sent from my Π Σ Χ U S 4.
    03-19-13 11:57 AM
    My understanding is no.

The PlayBook OS was for a very brief time, before BBRY locked it down, tight.

It is the securest OS out there, for this reason, and BBRY would never allow it to be jail broken or rooted.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 12:01 PM
    and this makes the sideloading useless. best apps are for rooted android. you would think if they are gonna rip off a whole systems apps they could at least do it right.
    03-19-13 12:27 PM
    and this makes the sideloading useless. best apps are for rooted android. you would think if they are gonna rip off a whole systems apps they could at least do it right.
    < smack upside the head > We do NOT want BlackBerry Android Player. Thorsten chooses to break BlackBerry Bridge functionality while expending resources on the BlackBerry Android Player. He still does not understand the target demographic.
    03-19-13 01:24 PM
    So what your saying is you rather it less secure?

Posted via CB10
    torpesco and SDTRMG like this.
    03-19-13 01:45 PM

Posted via CB10
    You should just leave some people alone. They don't like visitors in their fantasy world, where nothing makes sense.

And to O.P: Unfortunately, for you and whoever else was hoping for a root there is not one available currently. I heard that the dev who made the pb root was attempting to root BlackBerry 10, however I have heard nothing since. (I haven't been checking either. )

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 05:45 PM
    We do NOT want BlackBerry Android Player.
    I've happily use the Android player since it became available on the PlayBook (I even tried the leaked version). This type of choice is something no other phone or tablet offers. I've downloaded Android apps from BlackBerry World and some I've side-loaded. Yes, there is plenty of Android garbage out there (I've deleted many Android as well as BB apps I've tried), but the following Android apps make my Z10 more productive and fun to use (most of the following and many more are also on my PlayBook): OverDrive Media, URLToPDF, Meeting Minutes Pro, Mindjet, TubeMate, and aTorrent. I'm also not-so-patiently waiting for qPDF to show up for BB10. With respect to PDF files, Adobe has had almost 2 years to fix the useless Reader App, in the meantime the Android qPDF has become indispensable for me. I'm very happy there is choice, especially when native apps are lacking or unavailable. With the exception of the Android Netflix player, I don't even notice a performance penalty.
    03-19-13 05:54 PM
    Given that the Android player has its own "Fake Root" user account and a whole score of other fake service users (check the /etc/passwd file) that are totally decoupled from the QNX equivalents, it's probably quite possible to allow a "Rooted" android player without impacting the security of the host OS..

Posted via CB10
    03-19-13 08:52 PM
    < smack upside the head > We do NOT want BlackBerry Android Player. Thorsten chooses to break BlackBerry Bridge functionality while expending resources on the BlackBerry Android Player. He still does not understand the target demographic.
    Would that demographic be the miniscule number of people who purchased an are using a PlayBook? The maximum 2mm that were sold in almost two years? That demographic?

I'd think making the Android crowd happy would certainly sell more BlackBerrys. PB owners are going to buy one anyway!
    03-19-13 09:05 PM
    We do NOT want BlackBerry Android Player.
    Speak for yourself. Having access to the entire application library of another major platform isn't a bad feature.
    03-19-13 09:12 PM
    We do NOT want BlackBerry Android Player..
    Excuse me! We WANT Blackberry Android Player. Just update the runtime to JellyBean and bring in the latest quality Android apps. Having this option is great!
    03-19-13 09:25 PM
    Thanks guys. I'm just asking if it can be rooted. Doesn't mean I want it too.

Also, I'm sorry but I'm a little lost. what is Android player? Is it the ability to run Android apps on BB?

03-19-13 10:03 PM
    Dingleberry was the last time that Qnx was rooted. Will it happen again? Probably not, the kernel is pretty small, there is not a lot of notches that you can dig your finger into.
    The fact that it can't be rooted is a good thing, particularly with the enterprise crowd and developers.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    03-20-13 12:17 AM
    You should just leave some people alone. They don't like visitors in their fantasy world, where nothing makes sense.

Posted via CB10
    Well. Let's just say you are the minority. Makes sense to most of us that aren't geeked out security turds
    I'm sure it wouldn't help a just up and running OS that is trying to keep afloat to cater to the masses until they get their act together. Why would that even make sense?

It's nice to heat about what QNX will do in the future..unfortunatly when you are a distant 12th place out of 3 OS 's...it's time to think out of the box.
    Didn't it really taken this long for a no widget or live screen homepage? Just iPhone like static tiles? Really?? That's new.

I'm thinking you are more then likely someone who can still get by with a 9700. But please don't tell me how perfect this OS is right now. It isn't.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 12:26 AM
    Also, I'm sorry but I'm a little lost. what is Android player? Is it the ability to run Android apps on BB?
    Yes, that is correct.

Well. Let's just say you are the minority. Makes sense to most of us that aren't geeked out security turds
    I'm sure it wouldn't help a just up and running OS that is trying to keep afloat to cater to the masses until they get their act together. Why would that even make sense?

It's nice to heat about what QNX will do in the future..unfortunatly when you are a distant 12th place out of 3 OS 's...it's time to think out of the box.
    Didn't it really taken this long for a no widget or live screen homepage? Just iPhone like static tiles? Really?? That's new.

I'm thinking you are more then likely someone who can still get by with a 9700. But please don't tell me how perfect this OS is right now. It isn't.

Posted via CB10
    Rooting is an extremely small minority of phone users. Despite what you may believe very few people choose to do this to their phone. You know what is a major user base for BlackBerry though? Security conscious governments and enterprises, the kind of customers that like unrootable devices. It's a business decision and it's not changing, if you don't like it then return your Z10 and buy an Android. BlackBerry is built on security and will always be about security.

Also, 12th place? Really? Last quarter, one of BlackBerry's worst in recent history, with no new phones worth mentioning in a year and a half, still outsold Windows Phone with its flashy Lumia 920 and 8X by a 2:1 margin. BlackBerry is in 3rd, Windows Phone is in 4th, and then there's the others.
    SDTRMG and X0LARIUM like this.
    03-20-13 01:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Lots of people would like BlackBerry to be less secure.
    But they all have malicious intentions.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-13 01:53 AM
    Excuse me! We WANT Blackberry Android Player. Just update the runtime to JellyBean and bring in the latest quality Android apps. Having this option is great!
    Buy an Android-based tablet.
    03-20-13 06:18 AM
    The point of rooted Android apps is that they access the Android OS in ways that were intended to be locked down. For example, SetCPU allows the user to overclock or underclock the CPU by accessing settings for which Google doesn't release APIs. Apps of this sort wouldn't work in BB10 anyway, because BB10 is not Android; the Android apps are sandboxed and cannot access these functions.

There's no reason to believe that the low-level commands that work in an Android root app will work in BB10, and every reason to think they won't. If an app doesn't need those low-level commands, there's no reason for it to have root access in the first place.

The claim that lack of BB10 root "makes sideloading useless" is false.
    taylortbb likes this.
    03-20-13 07:14 AM
    The point of rooted Android apps is that they access the Android OS in ways that were intended to be locked down. For example, SetCPU allows the user to overclock or underclock the CPU by accessing settings for which Google doesn't release APIs. Apps of this sort wouldn't work in BB10 anyway, because BB10 is not Android; the Android apps are sandboxed and cannot access these functions.

There's no reason to believe that the low-level commands that work in an Android root app will work in BB10, and every reason to think they won't. If an app doesn't need those low-level commands, there's no reason for it to have root access in the first place.

The claim that lack of BB10 root "makes sideloading useless" is false.
    A friend of mine fried her Galaxy S3 motherboard because of SetCPU BTW. Just saying.

03-21-13 12:48 AM