I don't think RIM ever said "we're spending a billion on marketing". I do believe Thorsten said that launching BlackBerry 10 could take the cash reserves down and that he didn't expect them to drop below $2 billion. But that can also include wee details like 'production' and 'distribution' of BlackBerry 10 devices.
    I've heard that argument too.... It's going to be a lot of money, unlike we've seen them spend. "...one beellion dollars..." is an easier number than 900 million, (to pull out of the air), and seems to be the closer guess...
    01-03-13 09:51 AM
    If I remember correctly, someone on the forums here did some rough calculations and came up with about half a billion dollars left for marketing, after production and distribution is taken into account. And half a billion still isn't a small amount to spend on advertising.
    01-03-13 09:54 AM
    If I remember correctly, someone on the forums here did some rough calculations and came up with about half a billion dollars left for marketing, after production and distribution is taken into account. And half a billion still isn't a small amount to spend on advertising.
    Okay, I stand corrected......
    01-03-13 10:08 AM
    In today's 24 hour news cycle and short attention spans, its still too early for teasers to be effective. RIM has to curtail excitement. Build it too early, and when the release happens, it will be ignored by many that RIM needs to reach. We've had lots of sneak peaks, carefully planned leaks, media interviews and we're frothing at the mouth for more. We being the BB loyalists. We're here no matter what.

Trust it when you hear RIM will drop a billion in coin on marketing. You may be back here expressing you're tired of seeing BB10 everywhere.... I won't, but some will.....

Let's do some "assuming" here, which I'm tired of for the record....

January 30th, 2013, BB10 official release event

$1,000,000,000.00 Marketing

February 3rd, 2013, NFL Super Bowl.... need I say more?

You'll have BB10 commercials soon enough
    Very well stated. Okay, I'm convinced I shouldn't hit the panic button and I'm just eager to start seeing the ads with a new phone in my hands. I personally am so tired of defending BB10 to the haters that it will be nice to see a bombardment of ads for a long period of time.
    jerryeight likes this.
    01-03-13 10:14 AM
    Okay, I stand corrected......
    But in your defense, half a billion is the point at which you round up to one billion!
    jerryeight and jakie55 like this.
    01-03-13 10:15 AM
    But in your defense, half a billion is the point at which you round up to one billion!
    exactly, what's half a bil here and there....
    01-03-13 10:27 AM
    Yes I'm serious. RIM needs quick adoption of BB10. A creative marketing team can come up with some very neat teasers that don't reveal much about the product but attract interest in it.
    In a short attention span world, now is still too soon for such things though.
    01-03-13 11:21 AM
    I suspect all these �leaks� are part of an advertising campaign too
    Definitely not, what benefit is there to poor quality pics or leaks of features that were still being polished, none at all.
    01-03-13 11:23 AM
    Definitely not, what benefit is there to poor quality pics or leaks of features that were still being polished, none at all.
    Considering these leaks and demos are all over the media, tech sites, and bloggers posts, and it has gotten a lot of people talking, I'd venture to say that it has been a great benefit.
    just_luc and jakie55 like this.
    01-03-13 11:28 AM
    Considering these leaks and demos are all over the media, tech sites, and bloggers posts, and it has gotten a lot of people talking, I'd venture to say that it has been a great benefit.
    just enough to wet our pallet and drum up some chatter. without it, how many of us would be picking up new Androids because our "two year" is up....
    cjcampbell likes this.
    01-03-13 12:27 PM
    If they do advertising before launch, they aren't going to do it before CES. That would be a waste of cash. Look at how much free ink was spilt for Ubuntu phone and that is years away from being a real product.
    01-03-13 12:55 PM
    I still see alot of advertising around 9900/9930 and BB7???!!! I think RIMM finds new and somewhat strange ways to market to the wrong market at the wrong times and step on their own toes. I would be pleasantly surprised if they didnt screw up the BB10 campaign.
    01-03-13 01:11 PM
    Advertising's not really going to take off until after launch. Don't even have a product out right now. Why bother wasting a ton of money.
    01-03-13 01:30 PM
    I believe that Mr. Boulben is hugely more qualified and capable of planning and managing this than any one of us.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-03-13 05:09 PM
    The early leaks got a very mixed reception though, it wasn't until the later l-series leaks that people realised just how good the device actually looked, if all the leaks had been controlled then rim would have skipped the crappy ones.
    01-03-13 05:59 PM
    I still see alot of advertising around 9900/9930 and BB7???!!! ! I think RIMM finds new and somewhat strange ways to market to the wrong market at the wrong times and step on their own toes.
    That's because this is what keeps the lights on at RIM right now and pays for BlackBerry 10 development until it's released. They don't have BlackBerry 10 devices available for sale. They do have BlackBerry 7 devices for sale and the 9900's are generally the best received in the lineup.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 01-03-13 at 09:56 PM.
    01-03-13 06:01 PM
    I'm no marketing genius, just a guy who has ideas from time to time (some good, some bad).

I think a cool, VERY inexpensive way to market the phone, and build more customer loyalty is to give the phone away a week or 2 early to people like us. Die hard Blackberry fans. They could do like a PIN lottery. Send a message to 300 or so randomly selected PINs in big cities and ask if you'd be willing to flaunt around a brand new BB10 L or N Series (I hate the 'Z' name) prior to launch. You give the finished product to real users/fans and have them build a real buzz amongst their colleagues and friends. There are people who would go above and beyond. I'd honestly put on a damn presentation in front of the 100 people in my office.

Do something like this, and have maybe a camera man follow you around as you show off the LSeries to people, then post these videos all over youtube and FB. I think something like this would be incredibly cool.
    Select the PINs, have a brief interview process, then you have 10 days, and a camera man follow you around as you show off. Compensation for a job well done, LSeries and a package of all the Accessories. Somebody get this idea to RIM for me right now please.
    jerryeight likes this.
    01-03-13 07:53 PM
    I'm no marketing genius, just a guy who has ideas from time to time (some good, some bad).

I think a cool, VERY inexpensive way to market the phone, and build more customer loyalty is to give the phone away a week or 2 early to people like us. Die hard Blackberry fans. They could do like a PIN lottery. Send a message to 300 or so randomly selected PINs in big cities and ask if you'd be willing to flaunt around a brand new BB10 L or N Series (I hate the 'Z' name) prior to launch. You give the finished product to real users/fans and have them build a real buzz amongst their colleagues and friends. There are people who would go above and beyond. I'd honestly put on a damn presentation in front of the 100 people in my office.

Do something like this, and have maybe a camera man follow you around as you show off the LSeries to people, then post these videos all over youtube and FB. I think something like this would be incredibly cool.
    Select the PINs, have a brief interview process, then you have 10 days, and a camera man follow you around as you show off. Compensation for a job well done, LSeries and a package of all the Accessories. Somebody get this idea to RIM for me right now please.
    Just to play devil's advocate, by doing this, you'd have the people that would take it straight to the press for their moment of fame, show off what BB10 is, and leave nothing for the team to show on launch day.... well aside from whatever else they may or may not show that isn't a phone. I'd love to be someone to get chosen, and I'd follow whatever guidelines they set out, but someone wouldn't.
    SixStringMadness likes this.
    01-03-13 09:06 PM
    Just to play devil's advocate, by doing this, you'd have the people that would take it straight to the press for their moment of fame, show off what BB10 is, and leave nothing for the team to show on launch day.... well aside from whatever else they may or may not show that isn't a phone. I'd love to be someone to get chosen, and I'd follow whatever guidelines they set out, but someone wouldn't.
    strong NDAs would be put in place for an event such as this.
    01-03-13 09:11 PM
    strong NDAs would be put in place for an event such as this.
    You're right but that doesn't mean people won't try and skirt them and figure out a way to go about it anonymously. Even on many of the leaks we've seen, they have either photo shopped, or covered, in some way, the identifying marks of their devices.
    01-03-13 09:17 PM
    You're right but that doesn't mean people won't try and skirt them and figure out a way to go about it anonymously. Even on many of the leaks we've seen, they have either photo shopped, or covered, in some way, the identifying marks of their devices.
    I would expect so, and why passing freebies out to the public won't be part of the roll out, unless this were part of some carefully crafted "leak" as many guess that of these recent leaks
    01-03-13 09:29 PM
    Even the bad pics, and nasty comments about early, non finished l / z device pics developed a buzz. Twitter trending went up, facebook numbers climbed, I suspect, and I would be curious to find out how many google hits occurred because of that supposed bad publicity. (There's irony...google and BB10 in one sentence)
    01-04-13 02:57 AM
    Let's not forget the New York times website.
    01-04-13 12:05 PM
48 12