Okay... So we've heard a ton of positive things about Apps and Developers. And we're also seeing that RIM won't release BB10 until its perfect and ready for prime time. GREAT!

And we're also hearing how Frank Boulben is heading up the Marketing campaign which is also supposed to be great.

But where is it? I've yet to see an ad online or in public or a single commercial let alone a full on BB10 campaign. Is it just me, or should we now be seeing a lot of this in January? Anyone else wondering what's going on?
    01-02-13 08:54 PM
    Hard to market something that has not been released... Apple certainly does not.....
    01-02-13 09:05 PM
    RIM has already stated they won't start advertising until January 30th..
    01-02-13 09:06 PM
    Hard to market something that has not been released... Apple certainly does not.....
    And for good reason.. keep the secrets secret until you are ready to sell it.
    01-02-13 09:07 PM
    Patience grasshopper.......all will be revealed at the end of this month
    jakie55, gezzledinho and just_luc like this.
    01-02-13 09:09 PM
    RIM has already stated they won't start advertising until January 30th..
    There was a couple full page ads in the NYT a few weeks back, so that's not entirely true.
    01-02-13 09:10 PM
    They have done some "teaser" marketing of sorts, but indeed the full-blown marketing campaign should begin January 30th once the devices are fully-revealed.
    just_luc likes this.
    01-02-13 09:12 PM
    And for good reason.. keep the secrets secret until you are ready to sell it.
    They don't have to reveal secrets through their marketing. They can entice you to want the product and that's what I'm hoping to see.
    jerryeight likes this.
    01-02-13 09:13 PM
    There was a couple full page ads in the NYT a few weeks back, so that's not entirely true.
    That's true, I forgot about that.
    01-02-13 09:13 PM
    your BB10 marketing dollars??? you mean my BB10 marketing dollars???..yes RIM owes you and me
    01-02-13 09:17 PM
    your BB10 marketing dollars??? you mean my BB10 marketing dollars???..yes RIM owes you and me
    owes you???? oh puh-lease..
    jesse_h, CairnsRock and jerryeight like this.
    01-02-13 09:18 PM
    That was a shot across the bow of NYT, for obvious reasons,lol, and yes it was a tease also. More will come soon.
    01-02-13 09:39 PM
    I believe the OP is addressing RIM in the title, not the reader in the post.
    01-02-13 09:40 PM
    Are you serious? I really need to control what I type here, or I'll be banned.

The bb10 devices have not been unveiled yet, they have not been released, what the eff do you want them to market? "hey, we got this great OS coming out, but we won't talk about it yet". Can't market what isn't marketable yet.
    jakie55 and just_luc like this.
    01-03-13 12:39 AM
    At this stage, Rim are being very smart with how they are marketing bb10, you have the less overt stuff right now with plenty of interviews and demos, teaser shots etc. to gradually build things up with there being no real point going mad right now when nothing gets announced officially for another 4 weeks.
    just_luc and moonfalle like this.
    01-03-13 03:53 AM
    At this stage, Rim are being very smart with how they are marketing bb10, you have the less overt stuff right now with plenty of interviews and demos, teaser shots etc. to gradually build things up with there being no real point going mad right now when nothing gets announced officially for another 4 weeks.
    That's another good point, while I expect that they will spent a significant amount of money on marketing at and after launch.. nothing is as affective as the marketing you DON'T pay for.. interviews, reviews, and good ol word of mouth.. that's what really gets the buzz going.. And in fact.. ask some of your non blackberry friends if they've heard of BB10.. I think you will find that they have...
    01-03-13 07:29 AM
    They've been sending out some e-mails, and have a presence on their web page for it, but shy spend a dime with no product available for people to buy. After January 30th is when the advertising flood gates need to open.
    01-03-13 07:58 AM
    Okay... So we've heard a ton of positive things about Apps and Developers. And we're also seeing that RIM won't release BB10 until its perfect and ready for prime time. GREAT!

And we're also hearing how Frank Boulben is heading up the Marketing campaign which is also supposed to be great.

But where is it? I've yet to see an ad online or in public or a single commercial let alone a full on BB10 campaign. Is it just me, or should we now be seeing a lot of this in January? Anyone else wondering what's going on?
    Watch the video that Frank did.

The reality is simple: The product isn't being launched until the end of the month. Right now, they're focusing their efforts on media and trying to turn the tide; and engaging developers to build apps.

Once there's a product to physically sell, then it will switch to consumer advertising.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-03-13 08:13 AM
    . nothing is as affective as the marketing you DON'T pay for.. interviews, reviews
    They do pay for that. :-) RIM's probably been spending a bunch of this media roadshow, sending employees all over the place to talk to the press. I've never seen them do previews like this before. Lots of regional hands on PR stuff, with RIM employees physically showcasing the product and talking about it. It's not print or television advertising, but the time and travel has got to be adding up.
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-03-13 08:15 AM
    I believe the OP is addressing RIM in the title, not the reader in the post.
    Correct. Can't believe that even needs to be explained to sf49ers....
    01-03-13 09:28 AM
    Are you serious? I really need to control what I type here, or I'll be banned.

The bb10 devices have not been unveiled yet, they have not been released, what the eff do you want them to market? "hey, we got this great OS coming out, but we won't talk about it yet". Can't market what isn't marketable yet.
    Yes I'm serious. RIM needs quick adoption of BB10. A creative marketing team can come up with some very neat teasers that don't reveal much about the product but attract interest in it.
    01-03-13 09:30 AM
    That's another good point, while I expect that they will spent a significant amount of money on marketing at and after launch.. nothing is as affective as the marketing you DON'T pay for.. interviews, reviews, and good ol word of mouth.. that's what really gets the buzz going.. And in fact.. ask some of your non blackberry friends if they've heard of BB10.. I think you will find that they have...
    I've been following RIM very closely for many years now and I'm one of their biggest advocates. Most consumers do not care to know details... a lot of them just follow what their friends or family have. Most of my non-tech friends know nothing about BB10 and they are 'wowed' when I show them some of the features that are coming to the new phones. These are the people I'm worried about who need to start seeing a good marketing campaign for. For the techies (like people commenting on this post), we know of all the goodness we're going to get.

I guess the biggest advertising will come from the device itself. I can't wait to show people something on my phone and they ask what it is... to which they respond, "WHAT? THAT'S A BLACKBERRY?!? COOL!!!"
    01-03-13 09:33 AM
    I suspect all these �leaks� are part of an advertising campaign too
    jakie55 and jerryeight like this.
    01-03-13 09:37 AM
    Yes I'm serious. RIM needs quick adoption of BB10. A creative marketing team can come up with some very neat teasers that don't reveal much about the product but attract interest in it.
    In today's 24 hour news cycle and short attention spans, its still too early for teasers to be effective. RIM has to curtail excitement. Build it too early, and when the release happens, it will be ignored by many that RIM needs to reach. We've had lots of sneak peaks, carefully planned leaks, media interviews and we're frothing at the mouth for more. We being the BB loyalists. We're here no matter what.

Trust it when you hear RIM will drop a billion in coin on marketing. You may be back here expressing you're tired of seeing BB10 everywhere.... I won't, but some will.....

Let's do some "assuming" here, which I'm tired of for the record....

January 30th, 2013, BB10 official release event

$1,000,000,000.00 Marketing

February 3rd, 2013, NFL Super Bowl.... need I say more?

You'll have BB10 commercials soon enough
    01-03-13 09:40 AM
    Trust it when you hear RIM will drop a billion in coin on marketing. You may be back here expressing you're tired of seeing BB10 everywhere.... I won't, but some will.....
    I don't think RIM ever said "we're spending a billion on marketing". I do believe Thorsten said that launching BlackBerry 10 could take the cash reserves down and that he didn't expect them to drop below $2 billion. But that can also include wee details like 'production' and 'distribution' of BlackBerry 10 devices.
    jesse_h and just_luc like this.
    01-03-13 09:45 AM
48 12