Uhh, I didn't realize lawyers wrote patents.
    lawyers do write patents, thats why they're called patent lawyers who specialize in patent law...just sayin.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-25-11 11:26 PM
    Well, the thing is if you buy your Corvette at the Chevy dealership, you don't need to go back there to buy gas and tires.
    You don't need to buy your music, books or movies thru iTunes either. By the way, gas is a commodity as I'm sure fuel for future fuel cells will be.

However, the discussion is about whether RIM is ready to release a product now, or if the chip is a convenient excuse.
    12-25-11 11:27 PM
    Looking at your posts, you are obviously so in love with Apple and its ways, it seems odd that you are spending so much time here telling us how bad RIM is. Very odd indeed... It's like a web anomaly... Someone should study this...
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-26-11 02:40 PM
    I can just imagine Apple's vision of a fuel cell. You'll only be able to acquire the fuel at Apple stores or by ordering thru iTunes...
    And I can imagine RIM's fuel cell: it will include a physical keyboard, will be overpriced relative to market demand and consumer interest, and will not initially be able to power the device. Instead, users will rely on BlackBerry "Power Bridge" to run the device of another BlackBerry's power until the "native power" feature is enabled via software update 10 months after launch. Oh, and the BlackBerry fuel cell will be due for release "next year" for the next 5 years. But, when it is released, I'm sure you will absolutely love it, and you'll tell us all how it's so much better than every other fuel cell.
    RCCollins, teknishun and JBenn911 like this.
    12-26-11 02:57 PM
    I don't care what you say! BlackBerry is going to "leap frog" the competition!
    RCCollins likes this.
    12-26-11 03:26 PM
    I don't care what you say! BlackBerry is going to "leap frog" the competition!
    I know! I can't wait to try out the QNX ones
    12-26-11 06:07 PM
    And I can imagine RIM's fuel cell: it will include a physical keyboard, will be overpriced relative to market demand and consumer interest, and will not initially be able to power the device. Instead, users will rely on BlackBerry "Power Bridge" to run the device of another BlackBerry's power until the "native power" feature is enabled via software update 10 months after launch. Oh, and the BlackBerry fuel cell will be due for release "next year" for the next 5 years. But, when it is released, I'm sure you will absolutely love it, and you'll tell us all how it's so much better than every other fuel cell.
    As long as I can get my fuel anywhere I'm happy. If I have to order it through itunes it's a no go.
    12-26-11 08:44 PM
    I agree with needing a strong effort on all fronts for RIM. Look at the lame release of the OS7 devices on AT&T. Updated slider was all there was for a long while equaling a lose of sales. Short of opening store fronts, RIM is beholden to its carrier relationships. If its top 3 or 4 girlfriends wont put out unless their requirements are met, they have to bow to them. Never mind the rabid user base and I am not even talking about fans. Some days I think the internet is the worse thing for people, brings out mean streaks.

For those that love to think RIM is going to die, OK you win. They are going to die, feel better?
    12-27-11 10:37 AM
    A majority of posters do not want RIM to die. After all, there should be competition for more innovation amongst device makers and more platforms for consumers to have choice. I wish RIM had released the BB Colt 3G with BBOS 10 as an unlocked device for the RIM faithful. Screw the carriers!

It's not too late. Let's start a petition. If P9981 was released, why not the Colt?
    12-27-11 01:21 PM
    Ask anybody who's got one and actually using LTE what their battery life is like.
    I average 14-17 hours on my battery (Samsung Galaxy SII SR), ok by me; I plug it in every night.
    No I don't get the battery like I did on my earlier BB's. My torch gets about 20 hours, and it's not even .
    12-27-11 03:36 PM
    Sorry, QNX can't do that.

It's an operating system. The only thing consumers care about an OS is how many programs it can run or if it can run some specific programs. You don't buy a Toshiba or Dell laptop because of the operating system. Windows won over Apple back in the day primarily because so many more programs were available on PC but not on Apple. Unless an OS is notoriously bad like the vista, people don't care. The best OS is an OS that functions as an afterthought.

In 12 months, the software environment for QNX is going to be even more behind the top two than it is now. An emulator is not going to make up the difference.
    Well, what about interface (GUI), ease-of-use, and smoothness? All of which are Apple's main selling points, of course, in addition to their app store. The average consumer couldn't tell you how many apps itunes has compared to the android marketplace. If they could, and if your hypothesis held true, then they would all switch to phones running Android.

You're right, you don't buy a Toshiba laptop over a Dell laptop because of the operating system because they come pre-installed with the same operating system. Now if you're implying that people don't buy a laptop based on the operating system, then I would ask you to go to any Apple store and ask a customer why they would choose a MacBook over a Dell or Toshiba laptop because it sure isn't the specs. While you can run iOS on a Toshiba or run Windows on a MacBook, you lose some functionality with in both cases and the operating system can even become laggy and freeze randomly.

Now, I'm not saying QNX alone can bring RIM back from the brink of extinction, but it'll address one of the major complaints about BlackBerry phones, which is its operating system being the same, boring, hard to use, etc. I'm far from a BlackBerry fanboy, I'd probably have an iPhone right now if I didn't want to save my upgrade for 2012, but it's too immature to say that they're prolonging an inevitable death. 2012 should be where RIM catches up to the competition then 2013 can be the "leapfrog" they so desperately want. Like someone else said, they need to keep things under wraps, so they aren't overselling their phones, which ultimately ends in disappointment.
    12-28-11 12:15 AM
    An emulator is not going to make up the difference.
    It's not an emulator, it's a virtual machine. The same method that Android devices used to take a huge chunk out of the RIM and iOS marketshare. Luckily, the PB is not limited to that environment. No platform has come out of the gate fully formed and working. Your premature dismissal of the BB10 platform is exactly like the thread title says: inaccurate and uninformed, not to mention short-sighted...
    12-28-11 01:01 AM
137 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD