The long-awaited response:
    RIM: Rumors About BlackBerry 10 Problems "Simply False" - John Paczkowski - Mobile - AllThingsD

The key paragraph:
    �RIM made a strategic decision to launch BlackBerry 10 devices with a new, LTE-based dual core chip set architecture,� the company said in a statement given to AllThingsD. �As explained on our earnings call, the broad engineering impact of this decision and certain other factors significantly influenced the anticipated timing for the BlackBerry 10 devices. The anonymous claim suggesting otherwise is inaccurate and uninformed. As RIM has previously explained, and as Mike Lazaridis reiterated on the earnings call, we will not launch BlackBerry 10 devices until we know they are ready and we believe this new chip set architecture is required to deliver the world class user experience that our customers will expect. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply false.�
    Now before people go jumping on the fact that RIM didn't call the story and out-and-out lie, remember that any stronger language than what they're using opens themselves up for possible charges of slander.
    Last edited by 18to7fiddy; 12-22-11 at 03:35 PM.
    12-22-11 03:29 PM
    I believe its pretty accurate because we don't even know this lte chip will have amazing battery life and all that jazz. How can u know if its not released? If anything bbx10 can be delayed till 2k13 if they can't find a chipset. But the real reason is they can't get QNX to work. That's why the Playbook is still unfinished.
    RCCollins likes this.
    12-22-11 03:36 PM
    I'd like to ask ML if he seriously thinks that all the other LTE-equiped phones ALREADY out there aren't delivering a "world class experience". sigh. what a crock!
    vrs626 likes this.
    12-22-11 03:45 PM
    I'd like to ask ML if he seriously thinks that all the other LTE-equiped phones ALREADY out there aren't delivering a "world class experience". sigh. what a crock!
    Ask anybody who's got one and actually using LTE what their battery life is like.
    recompile and Blacklatino like this.
    12-22-11 03:46 PM
    I believe its pretty accurate because we don't even know this lte chip will have amazing battery life and all that jazz. How can u know if its not released? If anything bbx10 can be delayed till 2k13 if they can't find a chipset. But the real reason is they can't get QNX to work. That's why the Playbook is still unfinished.
    So you don't know anything and therefore you can make an uninformed post about the original BGR uninformed post? You are either a troll or spectacularly uninformed. QNX is working. I am using QNX on my PlayBook now and everyday for work and entertainment. OS2 beta is out and being refined for Feb 2012 release. RIM is executing the plan. And hatchet-job blogs like BGR and CNet will not stop that plan. RIM-rolling!
    12-22-11 03:51 PM
    Ask anybody who's got one and actually using LTE what their battery life is like.
    another crock! I've got a bionic and it gets better life (and FAR MORE USE) than my storm. I have 4G 24/7. Next question...
    RCCollins and OMGitworks like this.
    12-22-11 03:51 PM
    So you don't know anything and therefore you can make an uninformed post about the original BGR uninformed post? You are either a troll or spectacularly uninformed. QNX is working. I am using QNX on my PlayBook now and everyday for work and entertainment. OS2 beta is out and being refined for Feb 2012 release. RIM is opmexecuting the plan. And hatchet-job blogs like BGR and CNet will not stop that plan. RIM-rolling!
    RIM is executing?? That sounds very amusing. Last I heard Playbook was released April 19, 2011. How are they executing till this point? Was bgr wrong when they said Playbook 2.0 was delayed? I guess I'm a troll and your a blind bb fanboy.
    Last edited by darkmanx2g; 12-22-11 at 04:04 PM.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-22-11 03:56 PM
    I know a few people with the Razr and they are getting a full day of use with up to 6 hours of device usage, not including standby. One user in the CB Android forums is reporting they are getting 5-6 hours of usage.

That's honestly not bad. I get up to 8 hours usage on my iPhone 4. I got the same about of usage (6 hours) on my 9000. The Thunderbolt battery is terrible, the Charge I have heard is a little better as well as the Bionic. They don't get the battery life (stock) like a Galaxy Nexus or Razr, but not all devices are created equally.

I'm sure RIM can release an LTE device now. People would buy it. There obviously is a market for it and people will definitely be willing to sacrifice battery life. They are for the Android devices, why wouldn't they for a BB? People were buying Android devices that had garbage battery life that were only 3G and single core.

There will always be something to complain about. RIM is never going to win that battle.

I hope BGR is totally wrong and these BB10 devices will be well worth it. I've been waiting for RIM to make devices like this since the end of 2009 and haven't been getting my hopes up (so I am not hugely disappointed just in case). It would be really nice to see RIM pull it off.

Also I just wanted to add, I am sure many people wouldn't mind buying a spare/extended battery as well. People do this already with the current/past BB lineup. Doing the same for an LTE device shouldn't be a problem.
    Last edited by avt123; 12-22-11 at 04:05 PM.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-22-11 03:59 PM
    FYI, I can go more than 24 hours on a charge, using the extended battery, even with several hours of multi use. People who falsely claim that LTE kills batteries are still stuck back in the day when the THUNDERBOLT WAS RELEASED. Not all phones have trouble using LTE and maintaining decent battery life. oh, and using the stock battery, I can still make it at LEAST 14 hours...
    12-22-11 04:05 PM
    I can't believe all the rediculous people falling for this crap, obviously created to generate negative headlines and buzz. Yeah there's no way that RIM is able to figure out how to make BB 10 work /rolls eyes. The playbook already "works". As for some features still needing to be completed, well ya duh, RIM never claimed that BB10 was completely finished yet and ready for release. There will be issues, some very complex that they will need to be worked through as part of the normal development process.
    12-22-11 04:16 PM
    People who falsely claim that LTE kills batteries are still stuck back in the day when the THUNDERBOLT WAS RELEASED.
    You mean last summer? 5 months ago? So only the newest Android LTE phones are decent? LOL...

Sucks for anyone in a contract
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 12-22-11 at 04:22 PM.
    12-22-11 04:20 PM
    Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, United States in October, 2003
    Google purchased the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., in 2005.
    A preview release of the Android SDK was released on 12 November 2007
    On 18 August 2008 the Android 0.9 SDK beta was released
    On 23 September 2008 the Android 1.0 SDK (Release 1) was released
    The first commercially available phone to run Android was the HTC Dream, released on 22 October 2008.
    Dec 16 2009 App count reaches 20,000 but still lacks a desktop app discovery system

The version history of Apple iOS (formerly iPhone OS) began with the release of the iPhone on June 29, 2007
    Apple's iOS did not have an official name until the release of the iPhone software development kit (iPhone SDK) on March 6, 2008.
    The App Store opened on July 10, 2008 via an update to iTunes.
    On July 10, 2008, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told USA Today that the App Store contained 500.000 third-party applications for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, and of these 25% were free
    12-22-11 04:27 PM
    The current state of the Playbook speaks volumes, you do not need to be an insider to see that BB10 is in serious trouble.
    1812dave likes this.
    12-22-11 04:30 PM
    And RIM could have added that Geller and BGR are corrupt, dumb or both. I will grant BGR a few scoops about product and software specs and delays, as there must be a mole-rat who wets his beak at BGR (to mangle a metaphor). But the BGR "exclusive" is gratuitously riddled with subjective nonsense and cheap, vile RIMshots. How can you say something is a failure several quarters before its released. The whole BGR post is shot-through with conclusary, sour opinions and speculation. QNX does work. Email works on the Playbook right now through the Bridge and over the web, and we know there are people out there walking around with working email. Of course its true that BB 10 is a work-in-progress, what OS isn't nowadays? I don't imagine that RIM will just finish off the BB 10 OS in January and then put in on the shelf and wait for the chips to come. They will continue to work on it. It is likely that RIM was unhappy with alternative chip options and with the way the OS was running on it. So they go with a better chip and give themselves more time to refine the OS.

So its a textbook BGR smear, timed to coincide with the break in the RIM stock-slide caused by the takeover rumors. I'm not at all happy about RIM's elephantine ground game and this persistent inability to hit the marks on release dates. But the BGR piece is the usual garbage.
    12-22-11 04:30 PM
    You mean last summer? 5 months ago? So only the newest Android LTE phones are decent? LOL...

You are STUCK on thinking that all LTE phones get awful battery life. Sure, the TB was this past summer. So what? So what if it was released YESTERDAY. It is the ONE phone that gets AWFUL battery life, of all the LTE phones. Enough already!
    12-22-11 04:48 PM
    Android, Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, United States in October, 2003
    Google purchased the initial developer of the software, Android Inc., in 2005.
    A preview release of the Android SDK was released on 12 November 2007e
    On 18 August 2008 the Android 0.9 SDK beta was released
    On 23 September 2008 the Android 1.0 SDK (Release 1) was released
    The first commercially available phone to run Android was the HTC Dream, released on 22 October 2008.
    Dec 16 2009 App count reaches 20,000 but still lacks a desktop app discovery system

The version history of Apple iOS (formerly iPhone OS) began with the release of the iPhone on June 29, 2007
    Apple's iOS did not have an official name until the release of the iPhone software development kit (iPhone SDK) on March 6, 2008.
    The App Store opened on July 10, 2008 via an update to iTunes.
    On July 10, 2008, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told USA Today that the App Store contained 500.000 third-party applications for the iPhone and the iPod Touch, and of these 25% were free
    What are these dates suppose to imply? Only thing it implies that the two companies aren't even in the mobile business yet. And the market vastly changed and the standards are very different back then.
    12-22-11 04:49 PM

Hello??? It sucked for ME, when I was in a 2yr contract when I had my Storm. geez man, it goes without saying that anytime something better comes out, everyone will feel STUCK with what they've got.
    12-22-11 04:50 PM
    You are STUCK on thinking that all LTE phones get awful battery life. Sure, the TB was this past summer. So what? So what if it was released YESTERDAY. It is the ONE phone that gets AWFUL battery life, of all the LTE phones. Enough already!
    Thunderbolt was released in Feb
    1812dave likes this.
    12-22-11 04:51 PM
    For all we know this "anonymous source" could be a janitor which is just enough to make it pass the litmus test.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-22-11 04:59 PM
    another crock! I've got a bionic and it gets better life (and FAR MORE USE) than my storm. I have 4G 24/7. Next question...
    Well, yes, but the battery size matters also. The Bionic is a big phone with around a 1700mAh battery.

If RIM is trying to make a smaller device, and still do a slider, and make the battery removable as well, then they may not have room for a 1700mAh battery in there. It may 1400 or even less.

Making the battery removable and having the slider (if they want to weight the vertical slider correctly so it doesn't feel like it's going to tip over) takes up a fair amount of space. And then with current LTE offerings your talking extra space for that (in addition to the normal radios).

Blackberry has also had (at least from the ones I've felt) a higher standard for rigidity than Motorola and some of the other manufacturers. So that's another constraint.

And I don't think RIM wants to make one of the big "SUV" style phones as their first new BB10 phone. So from that perspective, I can understand why they would want the new chipset that saves both space and power.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 12-22-11 at 05:09 PM.
    sleepngbear and DPSydBerry like this.
    12-22-11 05:06 PM
    Well, yes, but the battery size matters also. The Bionic is a big phone with around a 1700mAh battery.

If RIM is trying to make a smaller device, and still do a slider, and make the battery removable as well, then they may not have room for a 1700mAh battery in there. It may 1400 or even less.

Making the battery removable and having the slider (if they want to weight the vertical slider correctly so it doesn't feel like it's going to tip over) takes up a fair amount of space. And then with current LTE offerings your talking extra space for that (in addition to the normal radios).

Blackberry has also had (at least from the ones I've felt) a higher standard for rigidity than Motorola and some of the other manufacturers. So that's another constraint.

And I don't think RIM wants to make one of the big "SUV" style phones as their first new BB10 phone. So from that perspective, I can understand why they would want the new chipset that saves both space and power.

So what you are saying is that they want to be thinner than everyone else? Good luck with that! My phone isn't an "SUV", btw.
    12-22-11 05:39 PM
    So what you are saying is that they want to be thinner than everyone else?
    No, it probably won't be thinner than everyone else. Because they want a slider and a removable battery (presumably). Those take up space also. Especially the slider, if they do it right (and I think they will, unlike what Palm did).

They will also want a very solid structure, which is difficult to do again with the slider. It's not like they can make the thing out of carbon fibre or something.

So a proper slider means a smaller battery, which means the current LTE chips wouldn't work even if they happen to work in the XL-size phones like the Bionic.
    12-22-11 05:52 PM
    Now before people go jumping on the fact that RIM didn't call the story and out-and-out lie, remember that any stronger language than what they're using opens themselves up for possible charges of slander.
    Truth is a complete defense to a slander, so calling a story a "lie" isn't slanderous if the story is, in fact, a lie. Additionally, RIM is in the best position of anyone to prove the story is false.
    avt123, brucep1, JeepBB and 3 others like this.
    12-22-11 05:59 PM
    So what you are saying is that they want to be thinner than everyone else? Good luck with that! My phone isn't an "SUV", btw.
    no your phones a VCR
    1812dave likes this.
    12-22-11 06:18 PM
    What are these dates suppose to imply? Only thing it implies that the two companies aren't even in the mobile business yet. And the market vastly changed and the standards are very different back then.
    Just showing how long it took those OS's to do anything. It isn't a faster process now than it was then. So please stop with that was then and this is now. It takes time. The LTE chip is something to do with battery life not the OS. If RIM misses the playbook 2.0 OS in Feb. then all of this might be valid.
    12-22-11 07:03 PM
137 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD