I absolutely agree that for a phone, a dedicated call/end keys are essential, why should you have to search for an app to end a call if the phone app moves off the screen while you're talking? Like someone said however, the business end demands you stay on top of things, and the beauty of this is that they keep coming up with things to put on a phone that we never thought we needed, i mean my first mobile phone was a Motorola MicroTac in the 90's and that was ground breaking!! So you can be sure that something new will come out probably on a BB10 phone that you never thought you needed, i mean you can pay for lunch in Turkey now with NFC on you BB7!
    I think this dedicated phone button point is completely overstated. The end call key is always visible from the call screen and the call screen is always visable as soon as you go to hang up a call.. The phone app does not dissapear unless you make it disappear. Yes, Android devices allow you to delete the phone app icon from the home screen but not from the main programs menu so you can bring it back. On both IOS and Android the phone app is front and center whenever the phone is unlocked.

Believe me, this is not a big deal.
    01-20-12 11:30 AM
    I think this dedicated phone button point is completely overstated. The end call key is always visible from the call screen and the call screen is always visable as soon as you go to hang up a call.. The phone app does not dissapear unless you make it disappear. Yes, Android devices allow you to delete the phone app icon from the home screen but not from the main programs menu so you can bring it back. On both IOS and Android the phone app is front and center whenever the phone is unlocked.

...Unless you need to look up something for the person you're calling, and your Android (maybe iPhone) phone has an oversensitive proximity sensor and no hardware button that can be used to end calls.
    01-20-12 11:33 AM
    I bought an iphone4s because my 9930 had so many problems on its stock OS that it stopped being fun to use, and began to just anger me everytime I attempted to accomplish a task since it would constantly freeze and require battery pulls thruout the day (a main factor in my buying it was thinking "no more battery pulls!" Boy was I wrong..) So I got my iphone and fell in love withe everything but the virtual keyboard, which was to be expected having come from 3 prior blaclberries. Well after a few weeks I swapped back to the 9930, I did pay more for it than my iphone cost (ripoff) so I figured I'd better get some use out of it. At this point there was an os update and I thot it may have fixed my issues an corrected to random bricking which I had experienced in the previous build.about a week later, boom. Spontaneously bricked itself after a reboot. Back to iphone. Fast forward a month or so to yesterday, I got the OEM white shell case and thot it was sexy so switched back to bb now on os7.1. Bring it to my 8hr school day (12:30-8) phone was charged over nite, taken off charger around 10am and was completely drained to zero% by 5:30pm. This was with wifi and 3g connected with good signal the entire time, and only using bbm/whatsapp thruout the day. Meanwhile my iphone4S chugged along on wifi all day and remained at 63% when my bb died. I had been using the iphone for apps and imessage thruout the day so it received about the same amount of usage. This was unbelievable to me. I do not see how my bb could drain so fast, this was with gps turned off half way thru the day (saw the batt was draining) and my brightness at 10.

OP, you appear biased in your approach to this post as you say ios and android devices put calls on the backburner, but I actually find my iphone4s has better call quality than my 9930 does and than my 9650 ever had. I also find the iphones phone app much simpler than the bbs, and rly like the favorites option. There are no diedicated call and send buttons, but I don't need them because any phone calls coming in make those buttons automatically appear on my screen, and if open the phone app making a call is quite simple. I know the iphone has had a bad rep in regard to phone calls in the past but I haven't dropped a call yet on verizon (in the rare occasion I still make phone calls). I wonder if you have ever used an ios device for more than novelty or if you are just like I used to be and making excuses for yourself of whhy you don't need apps or more functionality from your device simply because you are stuck with a bb, and addicted to the keyboard. After having an iphone, I can assure you, apps are great, and the bb platform is incredibly lacking in comparison, remember bb is the only device who freezes on an install and requires a 5min reboot after any app install/delete.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-12 11:40 AM
    With that being said, my 9930 is still my preferred form factor as I love its width an of course the keyboard. It just feels better in my hands, and I'm in love with shortcuts. However, I pay over 130$ a month for my ripoff, excuse me, my "service" from verizon, so I decided if I'm spending that much (I pay for 2 lines) then I'm using a data hog of a phone. I still love my bb, and plan to swpa back n forth as I see fit, and I do love the bbos crudeness or simplicity (text based in other words) but ios is just so damn smooth and the camera is so amazing compared to any bb..I love being able to play gta3 on the go and take 360degree panoramic shots with ease, something my bb will never do. Yea the bb is a great messaging device, but that's all it is, and the further we get into the 21st century, the more BB's begin to look like pagers..

01-20-12 11:50 AM
    @grahamf, I definitely agree. Some people want a phone that does everything, and that's cool if that's what they want. Me, there are other devices better suited for certain things than a gadget small enough to fit in your pocket. And I certainly phone any bigger than that.

That being said, I'll still be anxious to see the first BB10 device with a full QWERTY keyboard.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 01-20-12 at 11:59 AM.
    01-20-12 11:56 AM
    I've never really gotten the idea that your phone has to be a magical powerhouse full of Chinese made fairy dust. Call me an old-fashioned 19-year-old, but I consider my phone to be used as a communications tool, where I can call and text people I knows; and then Twitter or facebook when I'm bored. It still blows my mind that devices like the iPhone and most Android devices put MAKING CALLS on the backburner, and don't have dedicated call answer/end buttons. And you can hide the dialer app so it's not as easily to access.

I got a Pearl 8130 as my first smartphone. Ended up returning it because best Buy didn't set it up right and they were being asses, but it set my standards for how a smartphone should work.

Then I got my Storm 9530. After the initial charm wore off, I decided there were three things that I need in it's replacement:

1. Improved typing. Once I got going I can easily overload the keyboard and crash it, causing me to accidently click on a link on th webpage just below where the keyboard used to be (which on m.crackberry.com was the "full site", and loading the mobile site again was a bother)
    2. faster web browser performance. That speaks for itself.
    3. more memory. THat thing could only handle a few applications without having "out of memory" errors all the time. That also beat the app-installing-rampage out of me, so i got used to having only a few applications installed.

I then bought a Pearl 9100 outright for $200. With my newly learned app management habits this thing served my needs perfectly fine. At least until I got sick of SureType meringue up Mt. worlds.

Once my contract went up for renewal, I got the Curve 9360. Improves on my three iffs much more than my Pearl did. Batterry life is a little low, but with some good battery management practises I get it to last all day no problem.

And now with OS 7.1 (obviously I'll plug in the charger when using hotspot), I fin I really have zero interest in the higher end BBs or the BB10 devices. Sure, if you gave me on for free I'll take it, but I won't spend more money to get a new device (unless it's a good deal, like a Bold 9790 for $25 without having to renew my contract. but then I might find it fishy)

I'm going to skip every other single comment here and just say, this, you sir are why companies have difficulties making phones, you honestly do not know what you want.

You are a 19 year old who wants a communications device, your main complaint about iphones/droids are they lack dedicated keys for calling.

Then, you go on to say the thing you want to improve in your storm is nothing related to calling.

Do you know why? Because a phone is simple, there isn't much to improve

By ridding the dedicated call/answer buttons, a phone can then become a more efficient communications device. Imagine if EVERY phone had the same screen space, so every app could run seamlessly from any model for any brand. DEDICATED KEYS hold that back.

Do you know why RIM is suffering, it is due to those dedicated keys. APP MAKERS have trouble making apps that work across the board, why? So many phones, so many screen sizes, so many processors. By taking away dedicated keys, you even up the playing field.

Its 2012. Why have dedicated keys out all the time, when you can press or swipe or drag to whatever you want to do? Have you used a playbook....have you used an iphone....don't tell me after those devices you want to go back to using a pearl/storm.

The future(Research in MOTION) is not in dedicated keys. Yes, they will keep making old phones for old or young people, but the future is to seamlessly integrate everything. And dedicated keys hold a phone back. Heck, you can even say a dedicated keyboard holds that back, but the keyboard is so lovely.
    teknishun likes this.
    01-20-12 12:10 PM
    I bought an iphone4s because my 9930 had so many problems on its stock OS that it stopped being fun to use, and began to just anger me everytime I attempted to accomplish a task since it would constantly freeze and require battery pulls thruout the day (a main factor in my buying it was thinking "no more battery pulls!" Boy was I wrong..) So I got my iphone and fell in love withe everything but the virtual keyboard, which was to be expected having come from 3 prior blaclberries. Well after a few weeks I swapped back to the 9930, I did pay more for it than my iphone cost (ripoff) so I figured I'd better get some use out of it. At this point there was an os update and I thot it may have fixed my issues an corrected to random bricking which I had experienced in the previous build.about a week later, boom. Spontaneously bricked itself after a reboot. Back to iphone. Fast forward a month or so to yesterday, I got the OEM white shell case and thot it was sexy so switched back to bb now on os7.1. Bring it to my 8hr school day (12:30-8) phone was charged over nite, taken off charger around 10am and was completely drained to zero% by 5:30pm. This was with wifi and 3g connected with good signal the entire time, and only using bbm/whatsapp thruout the day. Meanwhile my iphone4S chugged along on wifi all day and remained at 63% when my bb died. I had been using the iphone for apps and imessage thruout the day so it received about the same amount of usage. This was unbelievable to me. I do not see how my bb could drain so fast, this was with gps turned off half way thru the day (saw the batt was draining) and my brightness at 10.

OP, you appear biased in your approach to this post as you say ios and android devices put calls on the backburner, but I actually find my iphone4s has better call quality than my 9930 does and than my 9650 ever had. I also find the iphones phone app much simpler than the bbs, and rly like the favorites option. There are no diedicated call and send buttons, but I don't need them because any phone calls coming in make those buttons automatically appear on my screen, and if open the phone app making a call is quite simple. I know the iphone has had a bad rep in regard to phone calls in the past but I haven't dropped a call yet on verizon (in the rare occasion I still make phone calls). I wonder if you have ever used an ios device for more than novelty or if you are just like I used to be and making excuses for yourself of whhy you don't need apps or more functionality from your device simply because you are stuck with a bb, and addicted to the keyboard. After having an iphone, I can assure you, apps are great, and the bb platform is incredibly lacking in comparison, remember bb is the only device who freezes on an install and requires a 5min reboot after any app install/delete.

I think you bought a lemon and instead of returning it you keep going back to it thinking it will stop being a lemon.
    01-20-12 01:58 PM
    I think you bought a lemon and instead of returning it you keep going back to it thinking it will stop being a lemon.
    Including all of the grammical and spelling errors. I couldn't read much of the misspelled words. Thank goodness for on-the-fly spellchecking.

If I had a lemon, I would return it and get a new replacement. I had to do that with a new microwave that almost took out the breaker box.
    LatinoLoco24 likes this.
    01-20-12 02:04 PM
    I'm going to skip every other single comment here and just say, this, you sir are why companies have difficulties making phones, you honestly do not know what you want.

You are a 19 year old who wants a communications device, your main complaint about iphones/droids are they lack dedicated keys for calling.

Then, you go on to say the thing you want to improve in your storm is nothing related to calling.

Do you know why? Because a phone is simple, there isn't much to improve

By ridding the dedicated call/answer buttons, a phone can then become a more efficient communications device. Imagine if EVERY phone had the same screen space, so every app could run seamlessly from any model for any brand. DEDICATED KEYS hold that back.

Do you know why RIM is suffering, it is due to those dedicated keys. APP MAKERS have trouble making apps that work across the board, why? So many phones, so many screen sizes, so many processors. By taking away dedicated keys, you even up the playing field.

Its 2012. Why have dedicated keys out all the time, when you can press or swipe or drag to whatever you want to do? Have you used a playbook....have you used an iphone....don't tell me after those devices you want to go back to using a pearl/storm.

The future(Research in MOTION) is not in dedicated keys. Yes, they will keep making old phones for old or young people, but the future is to seamlessly integrate everything. And dedicated keys hold a phone back. Heck, you can even say a dedicated keyboard holds that back, but the keyboard is so lovely.
    It's obvious he knows what he wants.

No different than you knowing what you want.

Embrace the differences instead of polarizing them.
    01-20-12 02:08 PM
    "Buy what you need, not what you want. You'll be happier, and most especially, wealthier than most people in the long run."

This was said to me by a successful businessman I used to work with. His income was in the 7 digit range, and more importantly, his net-worth, was at least 8 digits. You know what phone he still uses? A 7-year old Nokia.
    01-20-12 02:51 PM
    I think some are taking what the the OP said a little to literal. I dont think he's saying that he will never want a BB10 device, but since his Curve suits him will now, that he has no reason to upgrade at the moment while he is still in contract.

i will say though that i am for devices do more. People have got to realize that the amount of people using their devices for purely communication isnt as big as it used to be. Me and pretty much everyone i know (especially men) rarely use our phones to actually call people lol. like another poster stated, i believe RIM could easily get away with doing away with dedicated call buttons...using the playbooks swiping gestures would be just as easy as hitting a call button to open then phone application.

To the OP, i do have to say that it really does seem like u are against better spec'd devices even though it usually does make he experience better...so i must ask...why chose the curve over a 99xx or a 9790? if it is a money issue i can understand because not everyones situation is the same, but if the 9900 and the 9360 were sitting side by side and costed the same, would u really chose the curve over the Bold?
    01-20-12 03:19 PM

I like to be able to answer a call and hang up without having to look at the screen. A call button can initiate a call from anywhere within the phone, menus or apps. Press the call button and start typing the name of the person you want to call.

I will not buy a phone without dedicated call and end call buttons any time soon.
    01-20-12 04:14 PM
    I have not followed the new devices - but I am very fond of my keyboard. An extended Bold with a larger screen would satisfy me. Currently enjoying a 9900.
    01-22-12 07:15 AM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD