QNX was acquired by BlackBerry in 2010. I think they should have re written the legacy OS in QNX instead of taking 3 yrs to develop a brand new OS. I think if BlackBerry did that back in 2011 most people would still be using BlackBerry today and wouldn't have to go through the mission of learning a new OS. We would also have most if not all of the apps on ios and android by now since it's way easier to develop for qnx than the legacy os. And once we had all the apps and consumers, BlackBerry could have started adding new features one by one (hub, flow etc) to the legacy OS so there wouldn't be as much of a learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:14 PM
    I keep my mouth shut, but I don't think it's an intelligent move.

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    SDTRMG, jpvj, redsaph and 1 others like this.
    10-06-13 12:19 PM

Why? If they could get a smooth system with lots of apps which is tried and tested already people would buy it. And I'm saying they should have released it in2010/ 2011, those were the days of iphone 4/4s and galaxy s2... BlackBerry had a pretty big market share back then, they could have retained their consumers but instead they kept releasing the same type of phones and added nothing new and no one was really interested in developing any apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 12:24 PM
    This makes no sense at all.

The old apps were written for the old JVM, which has zero compatibility with the QNX code. Everything would have to be rewritten anyway.

If you want legacy, stay with legacy, they just came out with a new one.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG, kbz1960, redsaph and 1 others like this.
    10-06-13 01:25 PM
    This makes no sense at all.

The old apps were written for the old JVM, which has zero compatibility with the QNX code. Everything would have to be rewritten anyway.

If you want legacy, stay with legacy, they just came out with a new one.

Posted via CB10
    The apps would have to be re written but isn't that what's happening now anyways with BB10? Plus we would still have the android port option.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:45 PM
    If QNX is so amazing and so advanced lol, why can't BlackBerry get it to work with BIS?
    10-06-13 01:47 PM
    The apps would have to be re written but isn't that what's happening now anyways with BB10? Plus we would still have the android port option.

Posted via CB10
    I think they tried a legacy player, didn't work. The old OS sucks as far being able to do things every other smartphone does.
    10-06-13 01:51 PM
    If QNX is so amazing and so advanced lol, why can't BlackBerry get it to work with BIS?
    Its not that they can't get it work with bis they can because it works with bes still. Its that majority of consumers don't care for bis, or compressed data.
    10-06-13 02:05 PM
    That might be true in parts of America but certainly isn't true elsewhere. Even in the UK, 'unlimited' data plans are fairly rare and quite expensive. BBOS7.1 is actually better at doing some basic functions than 'QNX'.
    10-06-13 02:14 PM
    If BlackBerry simply added everything they left out to BlackBerry 10, including a BIS like consumer OPTION, that's what you'd have. All the shortcuts. All the custom profiles settings. The old bedside mode settings with a dock. And a redesigned BIS option. And with the BIS Option BlackBerry could charge the end user the $5 a month to make the carriers happy. Just make it an app like any other that one buys in BlackBerry World.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    MarsupilamiX and kbz1960 like this.
    10-06-13 02:19 PM
    I think they tried a legacy player, didn't work. The old OS sucks as far being able to do things every other smartphone does.
    The old os does many things that I wish my current smart phone did. It's the little things that I miss.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    kbz1960 and nah.uhh like this.
    10-06-13 02:22 PM
    They would have to rewrite everything anyways...
    10-06-13 03:35 PM
    For me, the QNX OS does waaay less things in terms of simple PIM and Email functionality that Legacy did.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-06-13 03:37 PM

For me, the QNX OS does waaay less things in terms of simple PIM and Email functionality that Legacy did.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    In some ways yes. BBs problem was that users wanted apps and the legacy BB OS want no way near a point where it could be the foundation for a modern smartphone.

If you have suggestions, you can enter the BlackBerry Beta program and provide input.
    10-06-13 03:46 PM
    The old os does many things that I wish my current smart phone did. It's the little things that I miss.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    I agree, they just have to add the features and not worry about old incompatible code.
    10-06-13 03:50 PM
    So they couldn't get QNX to work on a PlayBook but it will work on older phone hardware?
    10-06-13 03:52 PM
    In order to understand why that does not make a huge amount of sense you need to understand where QNX sits in the new OS, where the RTOS they used in BBOS sits in that OS and how the application layer in each is formed. This is far too complex to handle in a forum posting but I will try to give you a flavour for it.

Could BB had ported their JVM and all the application code from the BBOS RTOS to QNX. Yes they could. They would probably even realize some small performance improvements for having done so. They would still be saddled with the primary reason BBOS will have to eventually hobble off stage. The entire application layer runs in a single instance of a Java Virtual Machine. What this means for users is that there is/was no way for them to get rid of the hourglassing. Adding multiple processor cores does not help this situation execept in very specific instances of the later versions of BBOS 6 and 7 when the Webkit derrived browser was added which could run as a separate thread under the RTOS. Everything else, even using Java's threading model runs in a single JVM instance, in a single memory model and essentially all sequentially rather than any in parallel. This would be true even if they had 8 processor cores. Give the age of the RTOS it is believed they used as the basis for BBOS I double that the JVM could access more than 1 GB of memory, if it could even go that far. And before you say 1 GB is lots, remember this isn't just the RAM that the system has available, this is the maximum linked size of the JVM with all installed applications linked in.

As for BIS, it was getting equally creaky. It is hard to separate truth from fiction, but it appears that when the PlayBook was released BIS could only deliver email, BBM, PINs, etc to one device (one PIN number) at a time. Every one I'm sure has noted that you are no longer identified to BlackBerry by your PIN, in many cases, but by your BBID. There remain a number of instances though where only one device may enjoy the benefits of a particular BBID at a time.

Originally I was one of those who thought that they should have put the effort they invested into Android into a BBOS player (if we could only have one). Some days I still feel that way, but I usually sober up.

I also put in an official feature request that they allow users to choose if they want to subscribe to BIS services and do so through BlackBerry World rather than through the carrier. I did this mainly to have a way to get out from under the crushing yoke that is BIS. I think the solution they came up with is far superrior to what I suggested.

The only thing running legacy BBOS code on a BB10 device would do is provide everyone who bought a BB10 device with irrefutable proof that BBOS has reached the end of useful life and can not possibley compete with Android, since you would be able to run both on the exact same hardware at the same time.
    jay_men, thurask, eldricho and 2 others like this.
    10-06-13 04:03 PM
    That might be true in parts of America but certainly isn't true elsewhere. Even in the UK, 'unlimited' data plans are fairly rare and quite expensive. BBOS7.1 is actually better at doing some basic functions than 'QNX'.
    if you like BIS so much buy BIS and use it with your bb10 phone it still works only you get 500mb of data :/
    10-06-13 04:23 PM
    Or what they could have done is gone with android back in 2010 and at the same time worked on BB10 OS and released a flawless version of it next year.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:00 PM
    Or what they could have done is gone with android back in 2010 and at the same time worked on BB10 OS and released a flawless version of it next year.

Posted via CB10
    Actually that's something they looked into and realized they couldn't do because no matter how much you fork android it can never be as secure as bb10/bbos. Which is why they choose to write there own o's, not to mention 65-70% percent of Android oems aren't making a profit.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 05:10 PM
    The BlackBerry Development Team are not up to the task.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    10-13-13 07:23 PM