ok, one update.

after taking my playbook apart and directly charging the Li-Po battery to 3.5v while it wasn't connected to the motherboard (and not blowing my hand off) -- it is successfully booting.

Just letting it charge now.
    You should post the photo lol!!!

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-25-14 12:11 PM
    RetroArch-BB10 - Emulator Frontend-img_20140425_105549.jpg

Battery charging

RetroArch-BB10 - Emulator Frontend-img_20140425_111433.jpg

It lives!

Posted via CB10
    EchoesFX and Mecca EL like this.
    04-25-14 12:13 PM
    No updated bar for PlayBook as of yet, correct? PB is still 1.0.0.1?
    04-25-14 12:19 PM
    correct. I just got my playbook working again.
    04-25-14 12:25 PM
    No worries. PB version is especially frustrating with the inability of the menu settings to save. Just checking.
    04-25-14 12:32 PM
    Sweet! Always glad to see a still-living PlayBook. Being put to use.

Enjoy your weekend Justin!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 01:17 PM
    No worries. PB version is especially frustrating with the inability of the menu settings to save. Just checking.
    What the duece?? So there is also a playbook version of this, or is it the same as bb10 but runs or acts differently?.... as i said before i have snes9x and dgen emulators for playbook so are you telling me that those are packaged into this retroarch or is it something that is totally different but better?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by omega supreme; 04-25-14 at 02:03 PM.
    04-25-14 01:44 PM
    Nevermind, i just found the retroarch thread in the games section. It's a huge thread though. Some of the emu's listed don't really describe what system those emulators are for so it would be nice to have it in parentheses what they emulate if it isn't self explained in the name...

One more thing, how much memory does this retroarch take up on my z10?...i only have about 4 gigs left so I'm a bit concerned.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 02:02 PM
    What the duece?? So there is also a playbook version of this, or is it the same as bb10 but runs or acts differently?.... as i said before i have snes9x and dgen emulators for playbook are you telling me that those are packaged into this retroarch or is it something that is totally different but better?

Posted via CB10
    The PlayBook version will not have the cascades frontend obviously. The current working build opens up to RGUI just like it would on a Linux system. I'd imagine it's going to stay that way, and that's not a bad thing. Deep down where it counts the two versions share code and will deliver the same experience. It will just look a little different starting up.

The PlayBook version will ONLY be able to support controllers that act like a keyboard later on. The current build does not support them at all. Forget MOGA Pro, wiimote, etc. Those are BB10 only . Steelseries Free, 8-bitty, iCade and others can be made to work in the future. We can actually thank iOS for the fact that these controllers have a mode that can be abused to work for us too. They sure as heck weren't thinking of us when they designed it.

Especially once it matures to the point where there is gamepad support, this is the emulator you will want to run on your PlayBook. The cores you want are already in there.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 02:14 PM
    Retroarch 1.0.0.1 the latest PB version, has the snex core and a genesis core, too, amongst others.

DGEN standalone cannot save states so it's basically useless to play longer games. Retroarch can save states.

Unfortunately, Retroarch for PB cannot save the menu settings so you have to resetup the settings before playing a game.
    omega supreme likes this.
    04-25-14 02:16 PM
    Nevermind, i just found the retroarch thread in the games section. It's a huge thread though. Some of the emu's listed don't really describe what system those emulators are for so it would be nice to have it in parentheses what they emulate if it isn't self explained in the name...

One more thing, how much memory does this retroarch take up on my z10?...i only have about 4 gigs left so I'm a bit concerned.

Posted via CB10
    RetroArch-BB10 - Emulator Frontend-img_20140425_152813.png

Plus ROMs, obviously.

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme likes this.
    04-25-14 02:28 PM
    Oops, please delete, wrong button.
    04-25-14 02:42 PM
    First, thank you guys!

I've loaded couple of nes roms... nostalgia reloaded .

Wishlist:
    - save last selected folder, and eventually show all roms in the select field. For each platform last selected folder would be nice.
    - save last used platform (core)
    - associate rom files, eg : .nes, .snes, etc. So we could open the roms from file manager directly.
    - zip support (?)
    Last edited by Sergiu1337; 04-25-14 at 05:19 PM.
    04-25-14 04:58 PM
    The PlayBook version will not have the cascades frontend obviously. The current working build opens up to RGUI just like it would on a Linux system. I'd imagine it's going to stay that way, and that's not a bad thing. Deep down where it counts the two versions share code and will deliver the same experience. It will just look a little different starting up.

The PlayBook version will ONLY be able to support controllers that act like a keyboard later on. The current build does not support them at all. Forget MOGA Pro, wiimote, etc. Those are BB10 only . Steelseries Free, 8-bitty, iCade and others can be made to work in the future. We can actually thank iOS for the fact that these controllers have a mode that can be abused to work for us too. They sure as heck weren't thinking of us when they designed it.

Especially once it matures to the point where there is gamepad support, this is the emulator you will want to run on your PlayBook. The cores you want are already in there.

Posted via CB10
    Except NDS and N64. But as you mentioned they will be added, but I dont think N64 has a core, at least it doesn't in the latest version on ubuntu. Could just be that I don't have an updated version or something though.....

Has really no one figured out how Pacemaker did it with the whole running Cascades on the PlayBook thing? After perusing the code, Xsacha said something about it being Cascades with a QT wrapper or something like that (not a skilled coder, so it's semi-Greek to me). Why are they the only ones who have been able to do this, or why has no one who knows what they are doing contacted them and asked? It couldn't hurt to try, you never know what they might say, they might teach you how to run Cascades on the PB.
    04-25-14 07:27 PM
    After perusing the code, Xsacha said something about it being Cascades with a QT wrapper or something like that (not a skilled coder, so it's semi-Greek to me). Why are they the only ones who have been able to do this, or why has no one who knows what they are doing contacted them and asked? It couldn't hurt to try, you never know what they might say, they might teach you how to run Cascades on the PB.
    Yup it uses a custom library. A person could ask for help from the pacemaker app builder. Or... less scrupulously take the libraries from his package for use.

Afaik only one or two people have ever tried or touched his library. Not even sure who the pacemaker dev is to be honest. Good idea though.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-25-14 07:46 PM
    Except NDS and N64. But as you mentioned they will be added, but I dont think N64 has a core, at least it doesn't in the latest version on ubuntu. Could just be that I don't have an updated version or something though.....

Has really no one figured out how Pacemaker did it with the whole running Cascades on the PlayBook thing? After perusing the code, Xsacha said something about it being Cascades with a QT wrapper or something like that (not a skilled coder, so it's semi-Greek to me). Why are they the only ones who have been able to do this, or why has no one who knows what they are doing contacted them and asked? It couldn't hurt to try, you never know what they might say, they might teach you how to run Cascades on the PB.
    I don't know which cores will and will not be added. In theory, you could compile your own and add/omit whatever cores you want as long as they compile for QNX.

As for Cascades on PlayBook, I can do that too. It's nothing special.

You can bundle Cascades 10.0.4 libs that run on PlayBook into your BAR and edit things so that it will install on Tablet OS.

It's incomplete though, assets aren't sized right for the resolution at times, things do NOT work the way that they do in what you know as Cascades. And it adds a LOT to the BAR size.

In all honesty I think if someone WAS going to go all out, using Nokia's QML components via Qt for PlayBook would have a much better result. (WHY is this not something we saw used widely???)

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-25-14 07:48 PM
    Is Travis posting Mupen64Plus updates somewhere else? Because Durden claims he has version 1.1.3.2, and if I'm not mistaken, he was on the same thread as Justin working in tandem on development of RetroArch. I'd hate to think Durden is just PM spamming me.

I used my almighty Z30 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    04-25-14 08:24 PM
    Is Travis posting Mupen64Plus updates somewhere else?
    Yes, I am.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=926417
    DurdenLunarius likes this.
    04-25-14 08:41 PM
    Is Travis posting Mupen64Plus updates somewhere else? Because Durden claims he has version 1.1.3.2, and if I'm not mistaken, he was on the same thread as Justin working in tandem on development of RetroArch. I'd hate to think Durden is just PM spamming me.

I used my almighty Z30 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    No my friend, not spamming you. Just thought you had found Travis' new thread since you were hawking the threads as much as I am, hah!

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 09:49 PM

As for Cascades on PlayBook, I can do that too. It's nothing special.

You can bundle Cascades 10.0.4 libs that run on PlayBook into your BAR and edit things so that it will install on Tablet OS.

It's incomplete though, assets aren't sized right for the resolution at times, things do NOT work the way that they do in what you know as Cascades. And it adds a LOT to the BAR size.

Posted via CB10
    Is this the reason why the frame on shinobi 3 won't scroll down thus making the game unplayable since you can't see anything but you can hear everything? Using dgen emulator. ... i'm going to give this retroarch a try over the weekend and see what happens.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 09:57 PM
    How about the dolphin emulator?Does It works on Z30? I know the Z10 no play.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:20 AM
    Www.github.com/jtokarchuk/retroarch

Click releases to find 1028, as I understand 1029 has some bugs.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-14 11:48 AM
    Www.github.com/jtokarchuk/retroarch

Click releases to find 1028, as I understand 1029 has some bugs.

Posted via CB10
    Not seeing a folder for Releases. Checked under BB-qnx/BB10 as well.

Edit: Nevermind, wasn't looking at the top-hand links. Thanks Justin!
    04-26-14 12:10 PM
    Not seeing a folder for Releases. Checked under BB-qnx/BB10 as well.
    At the top with Commits, Branches and Contributors, or https://github.com/jtokarchuk/RetroArch/releases

Posted via CB10
    DurdenLunarius likes this.
    04-26-14 12:12 PM
    Please improve the GBA core. Despite what you think, that **** lags hard as hell after 10 Minutes of playing.
    04-26-14 12:13 PM
614 12345 ...