Hey Travis, just wondering, is your github repo updated? I'd like to help!

Posted via my BlackBerry Q10.
    04-24-14 04:26 PM
    Hey Travis, just wondering, is your github repo updated? I'd like to help!
    No it isn't. Updating it to the most recent version of my code is my job for this evening. See here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...r-bb10-926417/
    04-24-14 04:35 PM
    I have a qookie question... what are the differences between these emulators and the ones available for android that we can now download directly? Do these work better than those? I only ask because those can be downloaded directly and these you still have to sideload. Is that correct?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 06:15 PM
    I have a qookie question... what are the differences between these emulators and the ones available for android that we can now download directly? Do these work better than those? I only ask because those can be downloaded directly and these you still have to sideload. Is that correct?

Posted via CB10
    These are native C++/Cascades, and therefore better.
    Mecca EL, KermEd and EchoesFX like this.
    04-24-14 06:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    These support things that do not work in the Android version, such as the Q10 keyboard. And yes, native will run much better than Android.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    04-24-14 07:14 PM
    My son even came to me two days ago and said "Dad, where can I get your version of RetroArch that your friend made? Mine (Android) doesn't work as good." I felt bad when I said it was BlackBerry 10 only, but that should tell you a lot about the improvement over the Android version, and that was on a Kindle Fire HD (decent specs).

I used my almighty Z30 to create this CrackBerry madness!
    DurdenLunarius and Mecca EL like this.
    04-24-14 07:19 PM
    Aww that is a nice story btw

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-24-14 07:23 PM
    These are native C++/Cascades, and therefore better.
    You lost me, once the game is up and running what benefit does it have being cascade and all??... are you saying that zelda runs choppy on android emulators as opposed to these native ones?

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 08:18 PM
    These support things that do not work in the Android version, such as the Q10 keyboard. And yes, native will run much better than Android.

Posted via CB10
    Well since i don't have a q10 that really doesn't benefit me. do you still need to sideload the rom files for the android versions? cause if not i would lean towards that just for the convenience.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 08:24 PM
    I don't think wiimote works on Android version. Also, bb10 version is customized for BlackBerry devices including bug fixes and optimizations where the android version is built generically so it can work on dozens of devices.

You can get it from the Google play store if you have snap sideloaded or you can download from http://www.libretro.com/index.php/downloads/

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 08:34 PM
    Well since i don't have a q10 that really doesn't benefit me. do you still need to sideload the rom files for the android versions? cause if not i would lean towards that just for the convenience.

Posted via CB10
    Both sets, Android and BB10, require the Roms to be downloaded separately. No emulator comes pre-loaded with Roms.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL and EchoesFX like this.
    04-24-14 08:36 PM
    You lost me, once the game is up and running what benefit does it have being cascade and all??... are you saying that zelda runs choppy on android emulators as opposed to these native ones?

Posted via CB10
    There are reasons that native is better than android that you as a casual user won't understand or notice on a simple game like Zelda. Start running cores for more complicated systems and every clock cycle you can save counts. Running the Android version is basically running an emulator within an emulator. Performance will suffer because of that extra layer.

There are other features that do not work on the android version when run on BB10. Certain controllers, etc. The native version is more than worth the minimal effort required to install it.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-14 09:27 PM
    Hope I can play games on external memory card and to join ds and N64 core.Thank you very much for your effort.
    04-24-14 09:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    Actually, yes. There is always performance degradation between Android port on BB10 and Native with complex elements and everything built evenly.

Basically on an android port - the phone has to emulate some layers and translate androids API's to blackberry API's. Generally that's not an issue, but if the app checks for a Android Screen size between refreshes / for example / it has to populate through from App > Android > BlackBerry.ScreenSize. Then the response is reversed. It goes from a 2 step check to a 3 step check because of the runtime.

Basically, let's say Zelda ran at 28 Frames per second from Android. You should expect a minimum of 35 Frames per second from BlackBerry. Well probably more because justin knows a few tricks from last year to get extra performance on bbry.

Which may not seem like much. But it means about 20 % faster - which as a user, comes across as 20 % smoother because game speed is leveled out.

With that said, if you want the android port - go for it. Your much more likely to notice this with things like Mario kart.

Posted via CB from my LE
    EchoesFX and omega supreme like this.
    04-24-14 11:56 PM
    Both sets, Android and BB10, require the Roms to be downloaded separately. No emulator comes pre-loaded with Roms.

Posted via CB10
    That is not what i was asking. I know they don't come with the roms which is why i wanted to know if both versions required them to be SIDEloaded or if i can download the roms directly into the phone and then load it into the emulator, basically losing the need to plug into a pc to get things going.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 12:21 AM
    That is not what i was asking. I know they don't come with the roms which is why i wanted to know if both versions required them to be SIDEloaded or if i can download the roms directly into the phone and then loaded into the emulator, basically losing the need to plug into a pc to get things going.

Posted via CB10
    Of course you can download the roms directly on the phone regardless of which version you run. The only thing that needs sideloaded is the RetroArch BAR.

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme and KermEd like this.
    04-25-14 12:27 AM
    Of course you can download the roms directly on the phone regardless of which version you run. The only thing that needs sideloaded is the RetroArch BAR.

Posted via CB10
    Word! That's what i wanted to hear... i assume there is another forum with emulators. this one seems to be only for snes...
    i do have dgen and snes9x on my playbook but i barely play those as i am not always with my playbook in hand.
    I would like some genesis, psp, and nintendo 64 games and gameboy advance, so i can play those other metroid games i never got around to, as well as those god of war games.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 12:37 AM
    Word! That's what i wanted to hear... i assume there is another forum with emulators. this one seems to be only for snes...
    i do have dgen and snes9x on my playbook but i barely play those as i am not always with my playbook in hand.
    I would like some genesis, psp, and nintendo 64 games and gameboy advance, so i can play those other metroid games i never got around to, as well as those god of war games.

Posted via CB10
    RetroArch is a front end for libretro cores, so this actually covers most of what you mentioned there. There is not currently a PSP core bundled in but there's a PSP emu out there and mupen for N64 currently. All native.

Posted via CB10
    omega supreme likes this.
    04-25-14 01:39 AM
    Going to try this

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 04:26 AM
    Yeah as echos said above - this is a front end. But it has a ton of emus packaged with it.

Which is a fancy way if saying - you install retro arch. Download whatever roms for snes/nes/gba/etc you want (I keep mine laid out nicely on my SD card in misc/roms/(system) - and then launch Retro Arch.

You can pick the emulator (think mode like SNES) and the ROM and just play. Basically you only need Retro Arch and a rom.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-25-14 07:23 AM
    I wish to add the NDS and the N64 core, especially the NDS core. The Android 's apk is so terrible.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:46 AM
    I wish to add the NDS and the N64 core, especially the NDS core. The Android 's apk is so terrible.

Posted via CB10
    I know you keep mentioning this in a few other threads, but Justin will get around to it at his own pace. He's aware and it's on his list.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:57 AM
    Taking the weekend off and going on a trip. No updates til next week

Posted via CB10
    04-25-14 07:59 AM
    In the meantime maybe I'll throw a nice tutorial together for new users.

Posted via CB from my LE
    04-25-14 08:25 AM
    ok, one update.

after taking my playbook apart and directly charging the Li-Po battery to 3.5v while it wasn't connected to the motherboard (and not blowing my hand off) -- it is successfully booting.

Just letting it charge now.
    04-25-14 12:00 PM
614 1234 ...