was at a future shop today and the girl couldnt get the display device working. fail
    Tell her there is a silver button at the top of the phone...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    02-04-13 05:30 PM
    Do a battery pull, this will load the default BBOS and gives you 5 + minutes to play with it before retail mode kicks back in. I've done this with a demo model at The Source, worked like a charm and I was the first consumer in my town to actually use a BlackBerry Z10... I'm still smiling.
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-04-13 05:40 PM
    All I did was hold down the voice activation button and then swipe up to access the phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-04-13 05:47 PM
    This was Owensboro, KY and if they were that knowledgeable things are looking up.
    <<<<I love Owensboro! God's country for sure>>> OK back on topic.......
    02-04-13 05:58 PM
    I found a workaround for this. If you hold down the middle button on the side, you open the voice control app. You can then swipe up to put it into active frames and you have just entered the "usable mode". Enjoy!

That sounds like a security bug, because it bypasses the admin password which defeats the purpose. That's not very good. Either way, nice find, I'm sure that will be plugged up quickly.
    02-04-13 06:42 PM
    I found a workaround for this. If you hold down the middle button on the side, you open the voice control app. You can then swipe up to put it into active frames and you have just entered the "usable mode". Enjoy!

Thanks for this. I read this earlier today and went to try one. Had I not have known, it would have been a waste of a trip.
    02-04-13 08:23 PM
    Was also in a future shop recently and they have a demo model set up and it is the worst demonstration model setup I have ever seen. Its setup in some tutorial mode and doesn't actually let you touch the OS at all. A very bad representation of the device I think.
    02-04-13 09:43 PM
    Was also in a future shop recently and they have a demo model set up and it is the worst demonstration model setup I have ever seen. Its setup in some tutorial mode and doesn't actually let you touch the OS at all. A very bad representation of the device I think.
    There's a way around that.... as mentioned above.
    02-04-13 09:45 PM
    I would have to agree the demo model sucks. I hope they stop with the demo. I was at the mall and there is a huge buzz about the Z10. I had to wait just to use it and sure enough after I was done there were others waiting. Lucky I know the secret bypass thanks to CB and it memebers but others do not.
    02-04-13 09:56 PM
    I agree. This is the most ridiculous thing to get ****ty at BB about. Its like I walked out of a car dealership because the car I was interested in had all its doors locked. And instead of asking a rep to let me sit in it, I got ****ty over NOTHING

Anyway, Have fun with that over inflated sense of self entitlement
    +1

If I could have hit the like button 10 times for this, I would have. Perfect example
    02-04-13 09:56 PM
    Please do not swallow this "coming in 60 days" nonsense. We were burned with the BlackBerry PlayBook when BlackBerry used those exact same words repeatedly. What is pathetic is BlackBerry releasing a less than perfectly functional smartphone in 2013. Shame. Shame. Shame.
    Because all the other smartphones on the market are perfect, amirite?
    02-04-13 10:00 PM
    Oy! That it wasn't a dummy phone and it powered up, would be absolutely amazing around here.

Camn down people. No need to get nasty, when you can report, and let me do it.
    02-04-13 10:23 PM
    There's also a password on each phone that we (an employee) can unlock it out of demo mode, but it almost immediately goes back into demo mode. They also didn't send the password, I had to guess it. Lol.

I found the voice control workaround to be the best as well.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    02-04-13 10:28 PM
    Yes, I was just playing with one in a Rogers store. I figured that being it's a physical button it might work. After a little while it went back into demo mode but then I just did the same thing. You could probably close demo mode from the active frames, I didn't bother trying. I played with it for about 45 minutes. I'm looking forward to buying it. It's very smooth and impressive!

No, you can't close it. Believe me, I tried, because it's annoying when trying to show it to customers.

02-04-13 10:29 PM
    Password is "" unless it has been changed.
    Removed as requested
    02-04-13 10:30 PM
    As someone who has been in retail, people will walk away from devices locked into a demo mode without asking for help from the sales associate.

What RIM should have done is enable a "frozen" state on the phone. That is, any changes are reverted back to factory defaults after 30 minutes (or whatever).
    This is what they did with our second demo PB, and it would have been preferable.

Stupid multi quote isn't working. Boo.

02-04-13 10:31 PM
    Password is "**********" unless it has been changed.
    I wouldn't put that out there because we do have to be careful about the demo phone. The password is there for staff, lendo, perhaps you could edit it out? That unlocks everything about the phone, not just demo mode.

Edit

Yay! Thanks lendo... If you saw some of the crap we've had to deal with because of demos with sims, people like to send threats from anonymous phones and it's a big can of worms.

02-04-13 10:33 PM
    The demo mode is not good. I asked the shop assistant to let me see the phone work. He insulted it as he struggled to put it in normal mode. He continued to insult it as we waited some time for it to switch back on. If I had not known about bb10 I would have moved on. As I tried out the excellent phone I heard some people come in and ask about the new blackberry. "terrible phone" he said. "do you want apps and powerful processor?"
    "yes"
    "you. Want a Samsung s3 then"
    "ok"

I'm pretty sure it was "retail mode" that made him hate the phone.

That was O2 shop UK. Other shops were more positive.
    02-04-13 10:39 PM
    I wouldn't put that out there because we do have to be careful about the demo phone. The password is there for staff, lendo, perhaps you could edit it out? That unlocks everything about the phone, not just demo mode.

if I was able to guess it based on past releases, others will too.
    02-04-13 10:41 PM
    I understand that, but to have it open to everyone is dangerous. Not everyone is aware of past release passwords, and we've had the police show up thanks to non password protected demos being used to send death threats or worse. I like that BB password protects the demo, but that is a fully activated phone that gets unlocked with it and that's the danger.

02-04-13 10:43 PM
    Not to quivel over it, but each store is supposed to change the password once received. I unlocked a demo that hadn't made it's way to the store yet lol
    02-04-13 10:49 PM
    We actually received instructions not to change it lol. Yay for BB! :banghead:

02-04-13 11:17 PM
    I always thought those were actual demo models in-store, not real phones just running an app over the internet.

After a quick Universal Search on my Z10, I was surprised to find this screen...

Retail Display Mode issues-img_00000021.jpg

I don't recall any other BlackBerry I've owned having this option before, and find it a bit dangerous for those of us who like to experiment.

Thanks to Lendo, at least I have the 'pre-edited' password should I have the urge to try it
    02-04-13 11:29 PM
    I agree. They had time to build a pointless demo mode but not to test for a bug that takes you to the last email instead of the text you've just received when you hit the text icon. Idiots.
    02-05-13 12:26 AM
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    howarmat likes this.
    02-05-13 10:31 AM
54 123