UK phone stores all had the new BB10 devices instore this weekend. Hoorah.
    The problem? All of them running Retail Display Mode.

*Amazing* stupidity. 2 phones side by side, at least have 1 usable and 1 in display mode.

I promptly walked out of the shops. If Blackberry think retail display mode is a good idea, they are very much mistaken.
    No wonder their shares sank even lower if this is the sort of decisions they make.
    My mild interest in Blackberry has been killed in an instant.
    02-04-13 03:34 AM
    totally agree with this!!

true story - I was in Carphone Warehouse on Tottenham Court Road and actually bumped into a RIM rep at the store who'd come over from Canada to monitor the retail channels. Gave him this exact feedback!!

Also, in demo mode if you swipe up you can CLOSE the demo mode. You'll need the admin password, but the store should have it. Then you can just play with the handset in normal mode.
    02-04-13 03:38 AM
    I wonder how many more hate threads are going to be started in next few months?

@hwangeruk did you actually took a second before creating this thread? Did you even try to speak with store rep before walking away, asking him to show you a working phone?
    @thorstenpleasefixit you seems to participating in every hate thread and even created few. You spent more time in bashing new BlackBerry instead of trying to learn it a bit. Did you finally returned your device ?
    Last edited by bb10_fan; 02-04-13 at 05:08 AM.
    Ansovald, BBMak, V22 and 1 others like this.
    02-04-13 04:16 AM
    I wonder how many more hate threads are going to be started in next few month?

@hwangeruk did you actually took a second before creating this thread? Did you even try to speak with store rep before walking away, asking him to show you a working phone?
    @thorstenpleasefixit you seems to participating in every hate thread and even created few. You spent more time in bashing new BlackBerry instead of trying to learn it a bit. Did you finally returned your device ?
    I agree. This is the most ridiculous thing to get ****ty at BB about. Its like I walked out of a car dealership because the car I was interested in had all its doors locked. And instead of asking a rep to let me sit in it, I got ****ty over NOTHING

Anyway, Have fun with that over inflated sense of self entitlement
    KOOLWATER, turtle_z10 and ctuffy like this.
    02-04-13 04:22 AM
    I wonder how many more hate threads are going to be started in next few month?

odd, you seem to have read my words in an entirely different way to how they are written. I even offered the SOLUTION.

hey hoh.
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-04-13 04:23 AM
    odd, you seem to have read my words in an entirely different way to how they are written. I even offered the SOLUTION. hey hoh.
    The comment was not to your solution, but the first sentence. And you skipped my question, did you returned your device?
    02-04-13 04:33 AM
    Demo mode is one thing but here in the USA we get those silly hallow models. Either way, if you wanted to see the device, I am sure all you had to do was ask.

I went to three stores yesterday, Sams Club, Best Buy and an ATT store. Two stores didn't have a single BB but both had retail associates that were genuinely excited about the Z10. This was Owensboro, KY and if they were that knowledgeable things are looking up.
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-04-13 04:35 AM
    The comment was not to your solution, but the first sentence. And you skipped my question, did you returned your device?
    no, not yet. I have until Friday, probably a little longer, before the "try for free" period expires. I have recently (today) learned that a maintenance release might be released within 60 days - so do I gamble and see if that fixes the notification/rotation issue (arguably the most important problems currently)? the downside being if it doesn't, or if the release slips, I then have to ebay the handset rather than simply return it.
    02-04-13 04:48 AM
    no, not yet. I have until Friday, probably a little longer, before the "try for free" period expires. I have recently (today) learned that a maintenance release might be released within 60 days - so do I gamble and see if that fixes the notification/rotation issue (arguably the most important problems currently)? the downside being if it doesn't, or if the release slips, I then have to ebay the handset rather than simply return it.
    I see, seems it was not as critical as you plotted in your famous thread "33 (now 35) reasons why I will be sending my Z10 back :-(" It's great when people not get blind because of fanboism (is it a correct spelling?) but also it's great to see when people do not start screaming after 10 minutes (exaggeration here) of using new OS that it's a total garbage (another exaggeration here).

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. Before declaring "imminent death" of BlackBerry, please, take a moment, take a deep breath, and think if BlackBerry has anything to do with problem you're facing.
    KOOLWATER and sf49ers like this.
    02-04-13 04:57 AM
    I see, seems it was not as critical as you plotted in your famous thread "33 (now 35) reasons why I will be sending my Z10 back :-(" It's great when people not get blind because of fanboism (is it a correct spelling?) but also it's great to see when people do not start screaming after 10 minutes (exaggeration here) of using new OS that it's a total garbage (another exaggeration here).

Anyway, back to the topic of this thread. Before declaring "imminent death" of BlackBerry, please, take a moment, take a deep breath, and think if BlackBerry has anything to do with problem you're facing.
    oh it's critical fore sure - but I get locked into 24 month contracts, and 'flipping' phones on ebay is such a hassle. So, I can either have a 9900 for another 2 years (my 9780 is nearly dead) or take a gamble with this. Now, gambles involving RIM releasing updates are usually bad bets to make!
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-04-13 05:13 AM
    Have you ever used a retail mode that amazed you? No, of course not.
    Why would this one be different.
    02-04-13 12:12 PM
    So you rushed home to post this on crackberry instead of just asking the staff at the store for help? Yeah, this makes complete sense.

You should make a website about this:

http://www.phonewasinretaildisplaymo...asefixthis.com
    bb10_fan, sf49ers and turtle_z10 like this.
    02-04-13 12:37 PM
    As someone who has been in retail, people will walk away from devices locked into a demo mode without asking for help from the sales associate.

What RIM should have done is enable a "frozen" state on the phone. That is, any changes are reverted back to factory defaults after 30 minutes (or whatever).
    02-04-13 12:42 PM
    "No wonder their shares sank even lower"
    "Death imminent"

Now we're understanding how bashing works when you're scared for your short position.
    Mods. How did Yahoo Finance board posts make it on to this forum anyway?
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-04-13 12:48 PM
    So how does the retail mode have anything to do with the actual phone?
    02-04-13 12:52 PM
    I agree. This is the most ridiculous thing to get ****ty at BB about. Its like I walked out of a car dealership because the car I was interested in had all its doors locked. And instead of asking a rep to let me sit in it, I got ****ty over NOTHING

Anyway, Have fun with that over inflated sense of self entitlement
    He's a well known joke/fraud now. He made an entire website based on his *opinions* of why Z10 sucks and why he's returning it. Needless to say, most of the points were based on his ignorance.

More importantly, when asked simple questions that haven't been answered in reviews, such as "does MSN come preinstalled?" He doesn't know the answer. Anybody who still thinks that this clown owns a Z10 is naive.
    KOOLWATER, turtle_z10 and jesse_h like this.
    02-04-13 01:29 PM
    Interesting responses

>thorstenpleasefixit
    Presume you were joking?

>bb10_fan
    It's not a hate thread. Despite me venting my spleen, I was just ... shocked... at how stupid this decision was.
    (Don't worry, I feel the same about many products)
    Unlike many, I want all phone manufacturers to survive. I'm an old BB user, and I could have come back from the dark side.
    Just very worried about BB if they make stupid basic mistakes like this.

>jesse_h
    No, this was yesterday. I posted today, as I really wanted to get a trial.
    And no, I did not want to engage over excited sales droids. The whole point of the store is to let me see the phone, otherwise I would just order it on Amazon.

>mike-berry
    >So how does the retail mode have anything to do with the actual phone?
    It doesn't. Its about the consumer experience, which is poor. Imagine how many other people just flick at the screen, can't do anything and walk away - just like me.

I know what I want to do, and I was with my GF and we just looked at each other and shrugged her shoulders. She had a quick stroke of an iPhone 5, and an Android handset to get a feel for what they were like and walked out. But we could form no opinion on the BB as it just looked like an iPhone, but we couldn't use it.
    How will that generate a sale? BB are in dire sh*t, and they need to be razor sharp with retail experience, and they weren't. Its management calls like that, which will not help survival.

Anyway, no skin off my nose. But don't make me out to be some angry techie troll. I am not. I am just Mr Average consumer blokey who wandered into a shop. And I was annoyed at not being able to just walk up to the phone and try it. I came here to moan mostly I do appreciate that, but I was kinda hoping to see the phone. Its not a pop at you forums person, but BB themselves.
    02-04-13 02:19 PM
    joking about the RIM rep and the ability to turn off Retail Mode with an upward swipe/admin password?

Nope! Both true
    02-04-13 02:23 PM
    I am just Mr Average consumer blokey who wandered into a shop.
    Looks like a very shy one
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-04-13 02:32 PM
    Toodeurep ~ Awesome avatar...

/hijack off
    jesse_h likes this.
    02-04-13 02:42 PM
    I found a workaround for this. If you hold down the middle button on the side, you open the voice control app. You can then swipe up to put it into active frames and you have just entered the "usable mode". Enjoy!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    DisturbedRocks31 likes this.
    02-04-13 04:00 PM
    I found a workaround for this. If you hold down the middle button on the side, you open the voice control app. You can then swipe up to put it into active frames and you have just entered the "usable mode". Enjoy!

without the admin password? SUPERB!
    jdhooghe likes this.
    02-04-13 04:04 PM
    [QUOTE=thorstenpleasefixit;7931483 I have recently (today) learned that a maintenance release might be released within 60 days - so do I gamble and see if that fixes the notification/rotation issue (arguably the most important problems currently)?[/QUOTE]

Please do not swallow this "coming in 60 days" nonsense. We were burned with the BlackBerry PlayBook when BlackBerry used those exact same words repeatedly. What is pathetic is BlackBerry releasing a less than perfectly functional smartphone in 2013. Shame. Shame. Shame.
    Dlanod likes this.
    02-04-13 04:20 PM
    without the admin password? SUPERB!
    Yes, I was just playing with one in a Rogers store. I figured that being it's a physical button it might work. After a little while it went back into demo mode but then I just did the same thing. You could probably close demo mode from the active frames, I didn't bother trying. I played with it for about 45 minutes. I'm looking forward to buying it. It's very smooth and impressive!

jesse_h likes this.
    02-04-13 04:28 PM
    was at a future shop today and the girl couldnt get the display device working. fail
    02-04-13 04:58 PM
54 123